Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

https://orwell2024.substack.com/p/age-adjusted-all-cause-mortality?r=zp558&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984_s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_457360ad-9b50-407f-bba8-95d4d0ae1227_1866x754.jpeg.thumb.jpg.f5d19ec6c9e7729e545f098364cd9b46.jpg

His conclusions.

The driving motivation in doing science is being surprised and to find the unexpected and having views challenged by the data. In order to do that, one needs an open mind and the willingness to adapt conclusions based on new insight and not to do it the other way around (pushing a narrative).

La grande surprise, the main surprise was France. But also Switzerland.

Expectation / hypothesis to find a negative correlation with lockdowns was challenged by data which told us a different story and surprised us with a much stronger apparent underlying cause: obesity.

2021: Neither a positive nor negative impact of the vaccine can be seen. At least it’s not of any relevant dominance on a yearly base level. Other causes dominate. Probably lockdown, or random seasonality as also lockdown hardliners like France and Spain are doing ok for now. Detailed time window analysis by age may find 2nd order some effects. Maybe we will see the male heart (post dose 2) problems for the 18-30 years cohort (in a time window analysis). And we should see some benefit in 70+. That are the 2 trails. In the 30-70 year cohort it likely impossible to see anything.

Sweden is outperforming in 2021 (even all it’s neighbours), despite the Sweden denial in MSM.  They could have done better in elderly care settings to flatten the sharp peak in 2020. But nobody else managed that either.

What is interesting is that at least in the wealthy countries, the expected lockdown harm doesn’t show up in all-cause mortality. Rich countries like Norway, Switzerland and France can obviously afford such (to my view counterproductive) measures. I still expect, that it’s devastating in poor countries like India and Africa.

2020: The age adjusted mortality demonstrates the overreaction in the Covid-19 crises.

The observed excess mortality in Austria and Netherlands, is dominated by mortality in the elderly age bins. Those are 95 % vaccinated like in Sweden, Spain and France. The vaccine doesn’t reduce or increase all cause mortality. It isn’t the underlying root cause. QR passports and the one dimensional panic driven C19 health focus has to stop.

Edited by shade
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, shade said:

https://orwell2024.substack.com/p/age-adjusted-all-cause-mortality?r=zp558&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984_s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_457360ad-9b50-407f-bba8-95d4d0ae1227_1866x754.jpeg.thumb.jpg.f5d19ec6c9e7729e545f098364cd9b46.jpg

His conclusions.

The driving motivation in doing science is being surprised and to find the unexpected and having views challenged by the data. In order to do that, one needs an open mind and the willingness to adapt conclusions based on new insight and not to do it the other way around (pushing a narrative).

La grande surprise, the main surprise was France. But also Switzerland.

Expectation / hypothesis to find a negative correlation with lockdowns was challenged by data which told us a different story and surprised us with a much stronger apparent underlying cause: obesity.

2021: Neither a positive nor negative impact of the vaccine can be seen. At least it’s not of any relevant dominance on a yearly base level. Other causes dominate. Probably lockdown, or random seasonality as also lockdown hardliners like France and Spain are doing ok for now. Detailed time window analysis by age may find 2nd order some effects. Maybe we will see the male heart (post dose 2) problems for the 18-30 years cohort (in a time window analysis). And we should see some benefit in 70+. That are the 2 trails. In the 30-70 year cohort it likely impossible to see anything.

Sweden is outperforming in 2021 (even all it’s neighbours), despite the Sweden denial in MSM.  They could have done better in elderly care settings to flatten the sharp peak in 2020. But nobody else managed that either.

What is interesting is that at least in the wealthy countries, the expected lockdown harm doesn’t show up in all-cause mortality. Rich countries like Norway, Switzerland and France can obviously afford such (to my view counterproductive) measures. I still expect, that it’s devastating in poor countries like India and Africa.

2020: The age adjusted mortality demonstrates the overreaction in the Covid-19 crises.

The observed excess mortality in Austria and Netherlands, is dominated by mortality in the elderly age bins. Those are 95 % vaccinated like in Sweden, Spain and France. The vaccine doesn’t reduce or increase all cause mortality. It isn’t the underlying root cause. QR passports and the one dimensional panic driven C19 health focus has to stop.

The comments on the third map reveal that this probably isn’t an unbiased analysis 

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

With omicron, unless restrictions are more draconian (with population asked to stay at home for several weeks), you may be right 

with delta, alpha and the original wuhan strain, you are surely wrong 

If there was a straw poll on here. I’m exclusively wrong 🤦🏼‍♂️ But, in light of the Downing street shenanigans, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere today that a scientist was quoted as saying restrictions during Alpha may have been to tougher than were needed. So who knows. 

Just now, Farrington fox said:

If there was a straw poll on here. I’m exclusively wrong 🤦🏼‍♂️ But, in light of the Downing street shenanigans, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere today that a scientist was quoted as saying restrictions during Alpha may have been to tougher than were needed. So who knows. 

I believe that the report you are referring to was considering the length of the lockdown through may and that on reflection, it likely went on too long.  The same could well be said of March 2021. 

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

But it reveals a bias

stats are so often interpreted to support a pre conceived pov 

maybe, but can we get a bit more serious for a minute, I know it's the daily mail but this is the most terrifying thing I've read in 2 long, hard years...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10397797/Man-claims-lost-1-5-inches-length-penis-Covid-vascular-damage.html

• Haha 2

Just now, shade said:

maybe, but can we get a bit more serious for a minute, I know it's the daily mail but this is the most terrifying thing I've read in 2 long, hard years...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10397797/Man-claims-lost-1-5-inches-length-penis-Covid-vascular-damage.html

Brings a whole new meaning to needing a booster …..

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, shade said:

Dirty git got bored and wore it out during furlough. 

• Like 1

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Looking at the 3 charts of hospitalisation rate, Covid patients in hospital, and Covid patients in ICU, the first 2 appear to show a flattening off of general Covid pressure on hospitals, and the third shows no uptick despite the spike in hospitalisations and Covid cases. I think I’m right that sufficient time has elapsed to expect a signal in the ICU figures if one was going to occur. This all supports the view this wave has been much less dangerous than previous ones, and may be coming to an end in the UK.

Presumably this is a result of protection afforded by vaccines/previous infection, and Omicron being inherently less dangerous. My guess is that it’s the former that’s doing the heavy lifting here.

Anyway, very welcome trends that may signal that we’re on the last lap (or at least you in the UK are). This assumes that getting infected by Omicron does indeed give effective future protection, and that no new nastier strains evolve.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

2 hours ago, shade said:

He simply needs to get married and he won’t need his penis anymore. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

If the independent science body was given a very strict political remit on what they do, perhaps.  But it's certainly a non-starter to give a scientific body powers sufficient so that, if they decided elimintation of covid was all-important, they could order lockdown for years on end.  If you want anyone, scientists or no, to work out what on balance is the best thing to do re. covid, taking into account conflicting aspects such as deaths, illnesses, children's education, the well-being of the population especially those with dementia, and the overall economy both national and global, and come up with a solution - then the scientists must by definition be making political decisions.

And that's a reason why people wouldn't go for it, yes. And it's a fair one.

However, I would submit that there are natural issues far more far-reaching than Covid that will come to the fore one day (perhaps one day very soon) and attempting to deal with them in the manner described above and the way attempted with Covid, while well-meaning, will not end well. Especially when, on the evidence of this thread, we may well have a great many people (and therefore a voter base that appeals to politicians) that can't or won't understand the magnitude of the threat until it is too late, viz. right outside their door. What do we do then?

I'm leery about giving too much unaccountable power to any one person or body of people because Acton had it right, but there has to be a better political way of dealing with natural crises than the way most of the world has used for Covid, or after the next crisis it may well be the only one with power are the ones with big guns, a fortress, and canned food, Mad Max style.

Sometimes, there simply is no balance between economics and whatever else and the threat simply takes precedence as it renders all other human concerns moot. Quick example: asteroid impact threat. A little bit slower example: climate change (and look at what we're *not* doing about that).

Edited by leicsmac

Just noticed that the 7 day average of Covid deaths (headline “within 28 days” figure) has doubled since the onset of Omicron. Coupled with the lack of any corresponding increase in ICU Covid occupancy, this suggests that half of these deaths really are people dying with Covid, rather than from it.

This is different to previous waves (perhaps unsurprisingly in view of the much higher percentage of the population infected at any one time), and it will be interesting to see if the ONS stats support this when they become available.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The comments on the third map reveal that this probably isn’t an unbiased analysis 

Taking the word of single un-peer-reviewed mavericks above that of the more reliable scientific consensus seems to be in vogue on this thread and out in the wider world too.

People are of course free to believe what they wish, but I'm likewise free to point out that such courses of action will not end well and perhaps in the interests of self-preservation as well as preservation of human civilisation, a more considered approach that actually trusts the scientific method is called for.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Taking the word of single un-peer-reviewed mavericks above that of the more reliable scientific consensus seems to be in vogue on this thread and out in the wider world too.

People are of course free to believe what they wish, but I'm likewise free to point out that such courses of action will not end well and perhaps in the interests of self-preservation as well as preservation of human civilisation, a more considered approach that actually trusts the scientific method is called for.

yes but you're forgetting that it aligns perfectly with my viewpoint that obesity is the real driver of this, therefore I will follow whatever the renegade maverick says. 😂

1 hour ago, shade said:

yes but you're forgetting that it aligns perfectly with my viewpoint that obesity is the real driver of this, therefore I will follow whatever the renegade maverick says. 😂

Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug, to be sure. Everyone is susceptible. That's why we have the peer review process. Or one of the reasons anyway.

• Like 1