Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

How shit are these 24-team tournaments?

9 group games to effectively get rid of one team, is a colossal waste of time.

No team should finish 3rd out of 4 and then qualify. It annoyed me at the euros and now they’re doing it at AFCON.

Bloody hell, too many Sunday ales 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Soup said:

You have a right to think what you want but for me taking things away from people until they say yes is not a choice.

But things change.

There are plenty of examples of 'individuals rights' being removed due to societal and/or scientific shifts.  

The right for people to smoke on the train was taken away from them in the mid eighties - smokers had a choice either to not smoke on the train or to not use the train. (Same later applied to aeroplanes and workplaces).

The right for people to use a handheld phone in their cars was recently removed from them. 

The right for teachers to use physical violence against pupils was taken away from them in the eighties. 

And so on.

A few people whinged and bitched about it. Most just got on with it.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm yet to have the booster as I got covid at the end of the year. Will being double vaccinated be enough if the end game is near, or will I still need a booster that is less protective than the antibodies from catching it? 

I had quite bad side effects to the 2nd dose, so I'm still wondering what to do now that I caught it. I think the only thing that would make me have it is foreign travel if its essential. 

Maybe wait for a while, for two reasons:

1. You are probably well protected right now, if you get a booster in March/April, it should top you up.

2. Travel restrictions are unlikely to include boosters until February/March, so if you are not travelling just yet, look at restrictions closer the time and make a call. You can have the booster at any time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm yet to have the booster as I got covid at the end of the year. Will being double vaccinated be enough if the end game is near, or will I still need a booster that is less protective than the antibodies from catching it? 

I had quite bad side effects to the 2nd dose, so I'm still wondering what to do now that I caught it. I think the only thing that would make me have it is foreign travel if its essential. 

It will always be around, most people will just get an annual booster with their flu jab as part of normal life. I'd say get it when you can.

29 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It will always be around, most people will just get an annual booster with their flu jab as part of normal life. I'd say get it when you can.

My question I suppose was more around what the overseas travel requirements are with boosters. I know its too early to tell but if they are going to require boosters every year then it would be chaotic if our country are going to make it very much optional.

As I've said, given the side effects from the 2nd vaccine and how mild Omicron is, I'm not as concerned for my own safety and if it would impact on me looking after my children as I was before so I'd probably not go for the yearly boosters if I didn't need to.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My question I suppose was more around what the overseas travel requirements are with boosters. I know its too early to tell but if they are going to require boosters every year then it would be chaotic if our country are going to make it very much optional.

As I've said, given the side effects from the 2nd vaccine and how mild Omicron is, I'm not as concerned for my own safety and if it would impact on me looking after my children as I was before so I'd probably not go for the yearly boosters if I didn't need to.

I’m the same. I had had one vaccine prior to getting delta in July, I then had my second once I could after this. I then had Omicron this year and felt fine with it. I don’t see any benefit at all of me getting the booster, like you though it will be annoying if overseas travel requires me to have had it when there is no point in me doing so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

But things change.

There are plenty of examples of 'individuals rights' being removed due to societal and/or scientific shifts.  

The right for people to smoke on the train was taken away from them in the mid eighties - smokers had a choice either to not smoke on the train or to not use the train. (Same later applied to aeroplanes and workplaces).

The right for people to use a handheld phone in their cars was recently removed from them. 

The right for teachers to use physical violence against pupils was taken away from them in the eighties. 

And so on.

A few people whinged and bitched about it. Most just got on with it.  

The examples you give are not anywhere near like what is happening now, not even close. I was recently not allowed to buy a cup of coffee outside as I'd not bought my digital ID with me, comparing that to not being allowed to use your phone behind the wheel of a car are two massively different things. 

2 hours ago, Soup said:

The examples you give are not anywhere near like what is happening now, not even close. I was recently not allowed to buy a cup of coffee outside as I'd not bought my digital ID with me, comparing that to not being allowed to use your phone behind the wheel of a car are two massively different things. 

Where do you live?

You were stopped from buying a coffee? 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Where do you live?

You were stopped from buying a coffee? 

Just returned to the UK for a little bit, but I've been in Spain for 7 months. Different rules there for different regions but where we are you need a pass even outside. Some places don't ask tbf but most do, and yeah one day I'd forgot my phone so they wouldn't serve me. They were very apologetic but the fines are huge by all accounts.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Soup said:

Got till 25th Feb to get the 3rd jab or no I won't. Unless they bring back the PCR test but that won't happen, not yet anyway.

If you've spent 7 months here you must be resident? Residents are allowed to return whatever their vaccination status.

Have we had this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a1b5350a-4dba-40f4-833b-1e35199e2e9b

Interesting in itself but the links to reports on other depressing phenomenon make bleak reading.

I'm seeing some of this play out with people I know. The regrets folk will have, and I include myself in that, will be felt for years

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Have we had this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a1b5350a-4dba-40f4-833b-1e35199e2e9b

Interesting in itself but the links to reports on other depressing phenomenon make bleak reading.

I'm seeing some of this play out with people I know. The regrets folk will have, and I include myself in that, will be felt for years

It's behind a pay wall for me, would you mind copying and pasting it please? 

53 minutes ago, Soup said:

Long story short I'm not a resident, but was allowed to stay beyond the 3 months. 

Ah OK, knowing what I do about the reasons you're allowed to over stay it's probably pretty shit, so if that's the case I'm sorry. 

Are boosters being counted towards full vaccination already? 

8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Weird, I'm getting the same now.

I first got into it via this tweet, see if this works: 

Thank you, that worked.

At least they can leave their children, family and friends behind safe in the knowledge that they knew better than the best scientists in the world though :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I mean there is still that chance you are predisposed to it killing you or giving you lifelong issues, if you are worried about your children not having a father why wouldn't you eliminate that risk as much as possible with a harmless booster? Same goes for the flu, that killed plenty of fit & well people every year pre-pandemic, which is why it was wise to have an annual flu jab.

I can limit my chances of being hit by a bus by looking as I cross the road, I can limit my chances of developing certain cancers by not smoking, I can limit my chances of dying of certain diseases by taking the gifts modern science gives us such as vaccines.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Ah OK, knowing what I do about the reasons you're allowed to over stay it's probably pretty shit, so if that's the case I'm sorry. 

Are boosters being counted towards full vaccination already? 

Thanks.

Regarding boosters  I'm under the impression that you get 9 months from when you got the 2nd, then you if you don't get the 3rd you're knackered. I could be wrong

27 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

All restrictions to be dropped on 26th January?

I'd like to hear the reasoning for why they should stay.  Clutching at straws this lot.  Mind you, Sage are at it again with their summer modelling.  They never learn.

Should never have been reintroduced in the first place.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'd like to hear the reasoning for why they should stay.  Clutching at straws this lot.  Mind you, Sage are at it again with their summer modelling.  They never learn.

Should never have been reintroduced in the first place.

Did they really say 6000 deaths a day in the summer could be possible? I didn't really pay attention to the headline, the "boy who cried wolf" analogy couldn't be more apt for that lot.