Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

28 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Did they really say 6000 deaths a day in the summer could be possible? I didn't really pay attention to the headline, the "boy who cried wolf" analogy couldn't be more apt for that lot.

I'm not sure tbh as I can't be bothered to read their garbage any longer but they are out currently by a factor of 50 on deaths.  Roughly.  Worse case scenario.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'd like to hear the reasoning for why they should stay.  Clutching at straws this lot.  Mind you, Sage are at it again with their summer modelling.  They never learn.

Should never have been reintroduced in the first place.

That attitude is so odd

no one could be certain that omicron would be less virulent amongst our population and demographic. The indication from s Africa was fairly clear but we couldn’t just make assumptions and see what came out the other end. 

Just look at the number of people who have been infected over the past six weeks - if omicron had been 10% less virulent than delta then the country and nhs would be on its knees.  Not even the govt we have could allow that to happen without taking any  precautions…. What they introduced was v Iight touch compared to the rest of w europe and yet people still complain.

just be happy that we may well be on the cusp of this becoming endemic 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Did they really say 6000 deaths a day in the summer could be possible? I didn't really pay attention to the headline, the "boy who cried wolf" analogy couldn't be more apt for that lot.

I see people using this analogy so much (ditto with climate change and there's at least some overlap with downplaying Covid and climate change ignorance) and yet leave out the ending. 

That a village starved to death because the people failed to listen to someone who knew something, just *once*.

Once was all it took.

It's a clear parable against Gamblers Ruin Fallacy and should be treated as such.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm not sure tbh as I can't be bothered to read their garbage any longer but they are out currently by a factor of 50 on deaths.  Roughly.  Worse case scenario.  

Surely worse case scenario was omicron proved to be more virulent than delta ……delta proved to be more virulent and transmissible than it was etc etc 

can’t you appreciate how a model works and what different scenarios mean ??  It’s up to the scientists to do their job (which they have) and the ‘senior govt’ scientists and politicians to do theirs.   then you hope that you get a common sense interpretation of the modelling. The Chinese are working at one end of the spectrum.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That attitude is so odd

no one could be certain that omicron would be less virulent amongst our population and demographic. The indication from s Africa was fairly clear but we couldn’t just make assumptions and see what came out the other end. 

Just look at the number of people who have been infected over the past six weeks - if omicron had been 10% less virulent than delta then the country and nhs would be on its knees.  Not even the govt we have could allow that to happen without taking any  precautions…. What they introduced was v Iight touch compared to the rest of w europe and yet people still complain.

They are just using it as another stick to beat the government with (who are quite crap enough already), but it’s a little silly for the reason you and @leicsmac have highlighted

I do like that South Africa couldn't be trusted lol

"Top medical staff are saying that omicron is much less virulent and putting way less people in hospital"

"Wait a minute...don't you work in South Africa??"

"Well, yes I do bu..."

"Alright, well that's enough from you. If you don't mind, we'd like to run our own tests. It's not that we don't trust you but...come on...you're South African...you know where I'm coming from don't you?"

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That attitude is so odd

I think the government's precautions were more on the grounds that they hadn't the nerve to be seen to do nothing, rather than they expected them to make any difference to the spread of coronavirus.  As the Scottish schools experiment had already demonstrated, wearing little masks does not prevent rates of infection in schools being the same as in England where they didn't wear masks.  As Wales and Scotland have subsequently demonstrated, their form of precautions does not stop the virus spreading at similar rates to England.  I doubt that the number of cases during the last month is significantly different from what it would have been if Plan B had never been implemented.

Just now, st albans fox said:

The footballers with the heart issues have all had a recent bout of covid ……

we don’t know if they’re vaccinated 

I just wondered if the video was proved to be fake mate? Surely these kind of videos shouldn’t  be on social media 

3 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

I just wondered if the video was proved to be fake mate? Surely these kind of videos shouldn’t  be on social media 

I’m sure the video isn’t ‘fake’ - someone is on the end of the phone speaking but who and what do they actually know.  No one medically qualified without a ‘dog in the fight’ would make statements like that. 

if THEY (as in govt) know that the vaccines are so dangerous and going to be withdrawn then how come THEY are doubling down on them across swathes of the globe by insisting on vaccine mandates.  makes no sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m sure the video isn’t ‘fake’ - someone is on the end of the phone speaking but who and what do they actually know.  No one medically qualified without a ‘dog in the fight’ would make statements like that. 

if THEY (as in govt) know that the vaccines are so dangerous and going to be withdrawn then how come THEY are doubling down on them across swathes of the globe by insisting on vaccine mandates.  makes no sense. 

I completely agree with you, they would have stopped vaccines straight away if there was such a problem surely? 

Work getting busier again, we had a beautiful week where we were at our normal bed capacity.

All unvaccinated men as usual, all under 50, most have normal BMI and no medical history. So avoidable. Counting my shifts now I am so sick and tired of this. Actually we were sick and tired a year ago, not sure what this is now. lol

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What always gets me about any sort of anti-government conspiracy theory is that they believe the government is so staggeringly competent and so good at keeping secrets.  There are tens of thousands of medical professionals know about this but no journalist is willing to carry the story?  I doubt it.

46 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Work getting busier again, we had a beautiful week where we were at our normal bed capacity.

All unvaccinated men as usual, all under 50, most have normal BMI and no medical history. So avoidable. Counting my shifts now I am so sick and tired of this. Actually we were sick and tired a year ago, not sure what this is now. lol

Wishing you all the best

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What always gets me about any sort of anti-government conspiracy theory is that they believe the government is so staggeringly competent and so good at keeping secrets.  There are tens of thousands of medical professionals know about this but no journalist is willing to carry the story?  I doubt it.

'doubt' ?  you would put your mortgage on it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I thought you said the other week you weren't posting on this thread again lol

So after 2 years it has finally broken into our house. No surprise really as the wife and I work in education and there are high cases in schools. Kids are fine for now as well. So far, nothing to report bar a positive lateral flow from the wife. 

Edited by fox_favourite

5 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

So after 2 years it has finally broken into our house. No surprise really as the wife and I are in education and there are high cases in schools. Kids are fine for now as well. So far, nothing to report bar a positive lateral flow from the wife. 

Good luck

• Like 1