Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Soup said:

Here's an interesting article. It highlights all the heart attacks and death's in sportsmen and women in the last year. The article points to vaccine rather than Covid but tbh it could easily be Covid. If it is Covid then it's a shame the mainstream media don't put this issue to bed, because for me I do find it worrying. 

https://goodsciencing.com/covid/athletes-suffer-cardiac-arrest-die-after-covid-shot/

It has Lideloff on it who got kicked according to his manager and players who came out and said they weren't vaccinated. 

A FIFA review a while back which questioned FIFA areas (2/3 replied) had an average of about 13 FIFA player deaths per annum. If you average that out, it's about 20 and that's before the new reporting system came into place. So it's likely to be far more, and that's just deaths, most survive so many many more have heart issues. 

That website features a social media post that says in all his years nobody had a heart issue in the ground or on the pitch. Which come on, we've had a player have a heart attacked here and numerous in the crowd over the years. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Soup said:

I can't give you anything. It comes from within me. If I had to pick one organ in the body I don't want messing with it's my heart, even if it's a very rare chance.  That's all I can say. 

Thank you for at least being honest about the lack of rationality in the viewpoint.

I can understand it, we're all human and sometimes the hindbrain simply hijacks us, after all... but I must point out for the benefit of everyone viewing this thread that such often leads to no good end.

4 hours ago, Soup said:

Here's an interesting article. It highlights all the heart attacks and death's in sportsmen and women in the last year. The article points to vaccine rather than Covid but tbh it could easily be Covid. If it is Covid then it's a shame the mainstream media don't put this issue to bed, because for me I do find it worrying. 

https://goodsciencing.com/covid/athletes-suffer-cardiac-arrest-die-after-covid-shot/

FIFA did a survey from 2014-18 and found that over 600 footballers and coaches died "in action" from heart attacks in that period, an average of about 3 per week.  That's for context.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/56/2/80

It's also worth considering that number 2 on that list is a ball girl who collapsed at the Australian open tennis.  If they are going to ascribe every faint to a serious heart condition, it's no wonder they are counting big numbers.  

Edited by dsr-burnley

Possible increased incidence of sudden cardiac death in the young in the midst of a pandemic known for causing heart and lung problems in the young.

Stop reading these sites who want to scream headlines without bothering to do any sensible analysis.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

FIFA did a survey from 2014-18 and found that over 600 footballers and coaches died "in action" from heart attacks in that period, an average of about 3 per week.  That's for context.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/56/2/80

It's also worth considering that number 2 on that list is a ball girl who collapsed at the Australian open tennis.  If they are going to ascribe every faint to a serious heart condition, it's no wonder they are counting big numbers.  

Thanks. I'll take a look at that later. 

57 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Possible increased incidence of sudden cardiac death in the young in the midst of a pandemic known for causing heart and lung problems in the young.

Stop reading these sites who want to scream headlines without bothering to do any sensible analysis.

Chill out. I'll read what I want.

16 hours ago, kenny said:

My first one was like that after 5 hours. Suspect that is your first positive test starting to show.

My wife had the same. Faint line on a test and then the next day it was clear as day. Although her symptoms started Wednesday, negative Thursday, positive Friday. She is finally negative again today (so 5 days since positive). One more tomorrow and she is out of isolation.

I have tested every day since Friday, so far all negative. However, I had a cold which started Saturday/Sunday, nothing bad/unmanageable though. No idea if it is just a coincidence or if the LFT's are not picking me up correctly.

Just now, Soup said:

I will read the piece my the BMJ. 

Balance as many legitimate and objective sources that you can, particularly since this is of concern to you. 

I meant as a general practice/habit to get into though. In the face of the barrage of information that we are confronted with today, the increasing tendency is to only see what we want to see or listen to what we want to hear. 

19 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

My wife had the same. Faint line on a test and then the next day it was clear as day. Although her symptoms started Wednesday, negative Thursday, positive Friday. She is finally negative again today (so 5 days since positive). One more tomorrow and she is out of isolation.

I have tested every day since Friday, so far all negative. However, I had a cold which started Saturday/Sunday, nothing bad/unmanageable though. No idea if it is just a coincidence or if the LFT's are not picking me up correctly.

I have no knowledge at all. But I reckon if your vaccination is recent then your body chucks it out quicker.

My wife was positive for 2 days and I was positive for 11. My vaccine was 6 months old hers was a few weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, fox_up_north said:

Thankfully I have no office anymore. 

But, if I did, I wouldn't want to start spending at least £8 a day to get there and lose 2 hours just travelling. 

Yep, exactly the same here. While it's nice to see colleagues, the few days I was called into work between October-December last year I found not only was I less productive with people talking all the time, but I'd forgotten how infuriating driving into town is. And paying for parking, and being ripped off for lunch if I'd forgotten to bring something in. Working from home is much more beneficial to me and surely my employer too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yep, exactly the same here. While it's nice to see colleagues, the few days I was called into work between October-December last year I found not only was I less productive with people talking all the time, but I'd forgotten how infuriating driving into town is. And paying for parking, and being ripped off for lunch if I'd forgotten to bring something in. Working from home is much more beneficial to me and surely my employer too

You’d like to think most employers will have realised this. 

However unfortunately many will still adopt the slave / master approach and require people to still be in an office, as they don’t trust people.

You’ll always get the few that spoil it for the many, however the world has changed and I could see people leaving roles, if people were required to work from an office. Like you mention, the cost to drive, park, eat and most importantly be productive due to less travelling can’t go unnoticed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Great news.

Final piece of the puzzle is the break the media's obsession with reporting on this 24/7 and we can really start to move into a lost Covid period.

Can you define what you mean by this?

Is the implication that Covid wasn't actually all that and should have been treated more leniently in terms of restrictions all along?

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Can you define what you mean by this?

Is the implication that Covid wasn't actually all that and should have been treated more leniently in terms of restrictions all along?

A period of time that isn't defined by Covid case/death numbers and every front page and headline news story being dedicated to Covid. 

But that's just my opinion obviously.

27 minutes ago, Sly said:

You’d like to think most employers will have realised this. 

However unfortunately many will still adopt the slave / master approach and require people to still be in an office, as they don’t trust people.

You’ll always get the few that spoil it for the many, however the world has changed and I could see people leaving roles, if people were required to work from an office. Like you mention, the cost to drive, park, eat and most importantly be productive due to less travelling can’t go unnoticed.

The cost to having someone sit at the end of an internet line in Leicester won't go unnoticed either.  Much cheaper to employ someone on the internet in India.  The first casualties of the overseas online jobs market will be the office juniors, because you can't learn how to be an office worker of any kind while sitting in your bedroom with no-one to ask questions of.  But then the bosses will realise that Indian workforces are cheaper than European, and the more senior people will be replaced from abroad as well.

9 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

A period of time that isn't defined by Covid case/death numbers and every front page and headline news story being dedicated to Covid. 

But that's just my opinion obviously.

I think most folks would agree on that.

But such a period of time will only end when we have mastered this force of nature, not because we simply want it to be so.

37 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Boris scrapping Plan B by next Wednesday.

If he he still in a job!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60047438

I think looking at the numbers this is the right thing to do.

Hospital admissions for the omicron wave where closest to the best case scenario.  High vaccination rates and and immunity and the 'illness window' of winter soon coming to an end.

Fingers crossed we get to next winter and data looks promising and we just need a booster with flu jabs

29 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Great news.

Final piece of the puzzle is the break the media's obsession with reporting on this 24/7 and we can really start to move into a lost Covid period.

Do they focus on it that much now?

They began to just before and during Xmas for like a 2 week period but in general they are just mentioned as a bit of a side note.  The general public don't know what the current figures ae like they would have done 12-18 months ago.

Edited by foxes1988

21 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The cost to having someone sit at the end of an internet line in Leicester won't go unnoticed either.  Much cheaper to employ someone on the internet in India.  The first casualties of the overseas online jobs market will be the office juniors, because you can't learn how to be an office worker of any kind while sitting in your bedroom with no-one to ask questions of.  But then the bosses will realise that Indian workforces are cheaper than European, and the more senior people will be replaced from abroad as well.

Depends on your job. I coordinate with people on site to deliver training. That requires, at the very least, people in the same timezone. 

I don't think it's as big an issue as you expect and, if it is, we'll adapt. We still need taxes to be paid here and much it comes from income tax.