Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

How many of us would have bought our houses over the years if we had only listened to our solicitor and not brought perspective to their advice ?

professionals give advice based on their expertise - in this case it’s scientists - they are bound to merely give scientific data and advice based on that. The politicians must then discuss this with their head honcho scientific advisors to decide the best way forward as we don’t ‘live in a bubble’.  England took a calculated gamble on omicron and seem to have avoided any huge problems ….. the devolved nations chose caution and on balance probably didn’t need to. 

I just simply cannot understand why, if you're in any public facing role in a hospital where you have contact with patients, you wouldn't get jabbed.

I worked in a hospital during the pandemic on a temp contract and the thought that a nurse or doctor is wandering about oncology without being jabbed and going about their life as normal (perhaps they have kids) is just not right, to me. 

• Like 4

The island nation Kiribati is entering its first lockdown whilst disaster hit Tonga has turned a much needed relief flight back due to a covid case. I'd like to ask self-appointed epidemiological expert and armchair authority on infection control @Legend_in_blue why this is, given that such prevention measures "don't work". 

Perhaps Ivor Cummins is harder to access on a remote pacific island nation than vaccination? 

Edited by Line-X
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I'm negative for covid but currently suffering from a cold that feels like actual death, the worst I've ever had. Sure there has to be a link there with wearing a mask and not exposing yourself to anything for two years. I feel like absolute shite.

It's the season for it I'm afraid - and viruses transmitted in the air by aerosols and respiratory droplets survive and spread better in the recent cold, dry weather. Also, as @shade observed, our immune systems do not perform as well in the winter, due to lower levels of vitamin D and melatonin. The measures that are so effective at reducing COVID-19 transmission, e.g. face masks, indoor ventilation, physical distancing and hand hygiene, will also be effective at reducing the transmission of many other respiratory viruses and their use is why we had such a mild cold and flu season last year. 

Common colds are caused by a huge range of viruses, including over 100 different rhinoviruses, RSV, adenoviruses, four types of coronavirus, influenza and parainfluenza. Our usual routine exposure to the viruses, particularly in the winter, tops up our immunity to them. These are bouncing back and the respiratory tract has not had enough recent experience of respiratory infections to be able to mount that strong first line defence. The end of restrictions and increased social mixing means more of us will catch colds this season and symptoms can frequently seem more severe than usual because many people may have simply forgotten how shite the common cold can make you feel. Also, there are lots of different strains of cold, and it’s not uncommon to contract two colds in a very short period or to contract the second just as you’re recovering from the first. With reduced immunity, people succumb to viruses they would normally have fended off as an afterthought, or develop co-infections that prolong and exacerbate the symptoms. 

Sounds crap, - I hope you're feeling better soon. Love the new Andy Stone avi. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I just simply cannot understand why, if you're in any public facing role in a hospital where you have contact with patients, you wouldn't get jabbed.

I worked in a hospital during the pandemic on a temp contract and the thought that a nurse or doctor is wandering about oncology without being jabbed and going about their life as normal (perhaps they have kids) is just not right, to me. 

Yeah this blows my mind. Someone who works in healthcare refusing the vaccine is crazy and makes no sense. You think they would be well informed etc and not buy in to any of the bollocks conspiracy theories being spouted. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah this blows my mind. Someone who works in healthcare refusing the vaccine is crazy and makes no sense. You think they would be well informed etc and not buy in to any of the bollocks conspiracy theories being spouted. 

Unfortunately, those who provide these conspiracy theories (as opposed to those who disseminate them) are often very charismatic and clever at spinning an argument, because without that they wouldn't have the power and audience that they have. Even those with a firm medical background can doubt their own knowledge when someone with a slick manner presents something to the contrary to them.

Such sociopaths (as that is indeed what such providers are) should not be underestimated.

NB. And if the term "sociopath" sounds a bit strong, what other word might be used to describe a person who deliberately and wilfully provides information that may result in the suffering and death of other human beings who believe it and act upon it?

Edited by leicsmac

27 minutes ago, Line-X said:

It's the season for it I'm afraid - and viruses transmitted in the air by aerosols and respiratory droplets survive and spread better in the recent cold, dry weather. Also, as @shade observed, our immune systems do not perform as well in the winter, due to lower levels of vitamin D and melatonin. The measures that are so effective at reducing COVID-19 transmission, e.g. face masks, indoor ventilation, physical distancing and hand hygiene, will also be effective at reducing the transmission of many other respiratory viruses and their use is why we had such a mild cold and flu season last year. 

Common colds are caused by a huge range of viruses, including over 100 different rhinoviruses, RSV, adenoviruses, four types of coronavirus, influenza and parainfluenza. Our usual routine exposure to the viruses, particularly in the winter, tops up our immunity to them. These are bouncing back and the respiratory tract has not had enough recent experience of respiratory infections to be able to mount that strong first line defence. The end of restrictions and increased social mixing means more of us will catch colds this season and symptoms can frequently seem more severe than usual because many people may have simply forgotten how shite the common cold can make you feel. Also, there are lots of different strains of cold, and it’s not uncommon to contract two colds in a very short period or to contract the second just as you’re recovering from the first. With reduced immunity, people succumb to viruses they would normally have fended off as an afterthought, or develop co-infections that prolong and exacerbate the symptoms. 

Wow, comprehensive! Thank you! 

Sure I'll be fine in a few days - more annoyed that my colds nearly always arrive on Thursdays/Fridays so I'm ill at weekends and fit for work on Mondays :mad:

Looks a nice day out there for some detecting too...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Maybe they've seen first hand that the vaccines are ineffective. I'm sure healthcare workers can make their own minds up and don't need to be told what to do by "conspiracy theorists" lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyleolly said:

Maybe they've seen first hand that the vaccines are ineffective. I'm sure healthcare workers can make their own minds up and don't need to be told what to do by "conspiracy theorists" lol

...in spite of the plethora of evidence indicating otherwise (or at least when compared with not being vaccinated for certain unpleasant consequences)?

Occam's Razor clearly applies: that they have been hoodwinked is a much simpler explanation than the entire scientific consensus being wrong - at this point in time (italicised for emphasis).

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I'm negative for covid but currently suffering from a cold that feels like actual death, the worst I've ever had. Sure there has to be a link there with wearing a mask and not exposing yourself to anything for two years. I feel like absolute shite.

I would get a PCR test if you haven’t already as I was negative on LFT for 8 days but positive on the PCR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

What the hell are you on about vaccines being ineffective? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Actually, I think he made that observation and used it to extrapolate that excessive (ie beyond sufficient) amounts of vitamin D are beneficial to health, something I dispute.

58 minutes ago, Buce said:

Actually, I think he made that observation and used it to extrapolate that excessive (ie beyond sufficient) amounts of vitamin D are beneficial to health, something I dispute.

Yes you're right, he did go on to state that which I also disputed at the time. 

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

The only reason i can think is down to lack of long term evidence based facts? 

Short term we know that vaccinated is generally better (with some revision over time). As others have said, a good presentation and link it with some other medications which only exposed problems over the longer term and you can probably sow the seeds of doubt.

Let's not forget, these are professionals who have been educated to look at the evidence generally over very long periods of time - they now have to face something from leftfield, but which is from the same generic family as some already known virus.