Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, Lcfcbl said:

I'm quite new to the forum but have been reading back over quite a few pages. With regards to vaccinations, I'm a male in my early 30s. Last summer I contracted Covid and lost my smell and taste, also experienced diarrhoea. I contracted covid again two weeks ago and experienced not a single symptom. 6 years ago I contracted Myopericarditis and was in hospital for 5 days. The pain in my chest, albeit for a short period of time, was unreal like nothing I've ever felt. Before being allowed home, a Cardiologist informed me that I'm of an increased risk of contracting this illness again. I have read about studies showing an increased risk of contracting myocarditis/pericarditis/Myopericarditis due to having the covid vaccine. Thus, I have chosen not to have have the vaccine, not because I'm a mouth-foaming anti-vaxxer but I've just weighed up the pros and cons and made the decision in what could possibly cause more harm to myself, a risk assessment, I suppose. I've already been told by my employers that I cannot be promoted within the company due to me not being vaccinated. I would like to ask the question, regardless of what side of the debate you fall on, if you feel that is a fair and just position?

It's probably better for you to seek the thoughts of a professional medic for your own unique circumstances in terms of whether you should get the vaccine or not.

A friend of a friend was advised not to get the vaccine by a doctor due to their unique health issues so doctors aren't going to automatically say you must take the vaccine if its not in your physical interest.

Day 6 of covid. Over the days I’ve had a few night sweats and a slight cough along with a soar throat. Also Had a bit of a stuffy nose, but not really that bad as a can still breathe normally.  Though I have felt a little more tired than normal, but not actually felt ill as such more feeling off. Happily worked from home and can function normally.

But still testing positive on a lateral flow. So looks like I’ll be doing the full 10 days. Wife is negative on day 6. 

Edited by fox_favourite

On 22/01/2022 at 11:01, chapero82 said:

I would get a PCR test if you haven’t already as I was negative on LFT for 8 days but positive on the PCR

I second this. My wife had a positive LFT on the Friday, I got a cold over that weekend but tested negative every day until Thursday. I had it confirmed via PCR as well but then Friday and Saturday tested negative again on LFT's (I even received a new pack that was the old type with throat and nose swab, still negative).

So I had Covid but only tested positive on an LFT for 1 day. I found that really strange. My wife tested positive for about 6 days before getting a negative.

Edited by KrefelderFox666

17 hours ago, Lcfcbl said:

I'm quite new to the forum but have been reading back over quite a few pages. With regards to vaccinations, I'm a male in my early 30s. Last summer I contracted Covid and lost my smell and taste, also experienced diarrhoea. I contracted covid again two weeks ago and experienced not a single symptom. 6 years ago I contracted Myopericarditis and was in hospital for 5 days. The pain in my chest, albeit for a short period of time, was unreal like nothing I've ever felt. Before being allowed home, a Cardiologist informed me that I'm of an increased risk of contracting this illness again. I have read about studies showing an increased risk of contracting myocarditis/pericarditis/Myopericarditis due to having the covid vaccine. Thus, I have chosen not to have have the vaccine, not because I'm a mouth-foaming anti-vaxxer but I've just weighed up the pros and cons and made the decision in what could possibly cause more harm to myself, a risk assessment, I suppose. I've already been told by my employers that I cannot be promoted within the company due to me not being vaccinated. I would like to ask the question, regardless of what side of the debate you fall on, if you feel that is a fair and just position?

There was more risk of Myocarditis from Covid than the vaccine. Speak to your doctor about it. 

Edited by Babylon

On 23/01/2022 at 09:04, Soup said:

Another confirmation bias study I found interesting. This one from the Lancet showing transmission could be the same among the vaxxed and unvaxxed.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00768-4/fulltext

Key there being "peak" as it's been said times that whilst the peak loads are similar, they aren't the same before and after. 

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/599841 

Please everyone get behind this. Our hard work through the pandemic shouldn't go to waste over a personal decision. 

I have to get a hep b vaccine and boosters to work as a nurse with vulnerable patients, why is a covid vaccine suddenly any different? This is so stupid.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Well it wasn't a requirement of my job when I originally took the post, so don't agree that it should be forced on myself and colleagues now. I assume before going into nursing you knew that that would be the case for you? I just don't want to have the COVID vaccine, along with about 100,000 other members of NHS staff. All you have to do is ignore the link and scroll on if you don't support the movement, no need to say "this is so stupid" when clearly it's a subject that matters to a lot of people. 

Do you not have a duty of care though? Do requirements not also change? I’d imagine various vaccines have been updated through the years since health workers originally took their post.

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Well it wasn't a requirement of my job when I originally took the post, so don't agree that it should be forced on myself and colleagues now. I assume before going into nursing you knew that that would be the case for you? I just don't want to have the COVID vaccine, along with about 100,000 other members of NHS staff. All you have to do is ignore the link and scroll on if you don't support the movement, no need to say "this is so stupid" when clearly it's a subject that matters to a lot of people. 

Hope that gets me out of paying all the new taxes for social care.

47 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Things that are out of our control change all the time. I didn't have to know squat about GDPR when I took my job but the guidance changed and we had to take additional training and make adjustments

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I work in an office with 2 other people doing admin work, (not coming into contact with patients apart from passing them in corridors/walking through a waiting area where they may be sat) so I just don't see why it's necessary for me to have it if I don't want to. 

So you are coming into contact with patients then

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The point of vaccination is not whether it is an employment right or not, it's whether it protects patients or not.  If it is unsafe to have un-covid-vaccinated staff around patients, then obviously all staff have to have it regardless of whether they knew about it when they started.

By all means argue against compulsory vaccination on the basis that it is unnecessary or doesn't benefit patients, if that's what you believe, and if you have coherent evidence.  But you cannot argue against compulsory vaccination on the basis that you don't want it and the welfare of patients is irrelevant.  If your presence on the ward or in the corridor carries a significant risk of causing preventable illness, then you can't be on the ward or in the corridor, full stop.

15 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I work in an office with 2 other people doing admin work, (not coming into contact with patients apart from passing them in corridors/walking through a waiting area where they may be sat) so I just don't see why it's necessary for me to have it if I don't want to. 

Sorry, but I really don't see how that's relevant at all. 

Fair enough mate, I’m just asking the question. To me it’s a no brainer to have if the side effects of the vaccine are less likely than the virus itself?

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We already have loads of procedures in place to enable that. Plus, if that patient has had the jab themselves, then surely they should be fine? 

It's safer, especially if you're already ill, not to contract covid at all than it is to contract it and hope your immune system beats it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

End of the day as I said above to another poster, please just scroll past it if you're not supportive. I appreciate everyone has different viewpoints, like with any subject, but just thought maybe there would be a few people on this thread who would think similarly to myself and might be interested in getting behind it. 

Sorry but this whole thread is basically a debate at this point and while I tend to keep away from it, I absolutely cannot fathom why at this point anyone working in healthcare (at places where they could potentially be in the presence of sick/vulnerable people) would not already be fully vaccinated, let alone linking to petitions to protect people who don't wish to be vaccinated in these circumstances. It's selfish if a choice you make could harm others, which is why they banned smoking in restaurants etc.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We already have loads of procedures in place to enable that. Plus, if that patient has had the jab themselves, then surely they should be fine? 

To specifically answer your question:

1.  The NHS treats patients who have not had the jab as well those that have.

2.  Coronavirus can be dangerous for people who have had the jab, especially those who are already ill.  

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

just had personal anecdotes that have contributed to my own choices to hold off for time being.

Please appreciate that this is not an attack on you, but as a rule, given the populist world that we now inhabit, I'd strongly recommend favouring the empirical over the anecdotal. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And equally, I can't fathom why at this point when we've got past the worst of the pandemic, it's compulsory that I have a vaccine in order to keep my job. To be honest, it's a big slap in the face that you can't have the freedom of choice after all of the hard work that every member of staff in this sector has put in over the last 2 years. Me not having a vaccine has made no difference to my work over the last 2 years so why decide that it does it now? 

It will do more harm to those vulnerable patients that need support when the NHS loses 100,000 members of staff, than it will the staff being there to provide care but unvaccinated, same as they have been for the last couple of years. 

To not even allow people to prove whether they have antibodies or not from previous infection, makes little to no sense.

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

This affects me too, I will be losing colleagues over this, and yes I think it's stupid they won't get vaccinated because of social media (and that is all it boils down to).

You will never meet a virologist who won't get the vaccine, just people with little to no education in the matter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

The fact you're not vaccinated demonstrates your contempt for everything the frontline have had to go through these past 2 years. Me and my team have been through hell all of 2021 and it is because of people not bothering to get a simple vaccine, why should you be allowed to continue working in a hospital around vulnerable patients, or around staff who then look after vulnerable patients? You have absolutely zero sympathy from me if you lose your job and it's 100% your own bed to lie in.

Let just hope that bed isn't on an icu because you won't get a simple jab.

Do you hold obese and overweight people, smokers or heavy drinkers in the same contempt you obviously do the unvaccinated?

• Like 3