Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

Sturgeon wanting to keep mask mandate in place for years……😂😂😂😂

Source?  I saw her comment that she felt restrictions were justified and laughed at that.  The data for Scotland doesn't suggest that it is as clear cut as this.  Boris's lucky stance of ignoring the science will be looked on as exactly that.  Lucky.  Others could well describe it as an expected outcome.  Sage on the other hand will be frothing at the mouth as they are looking rather daft at the moment.  They're on the back foot...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/science/covid-modelling-latest-sage-omicron-b1996446.html%3famp

Daily US death toll from Covid now matches Delta https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60133618

I remember telling people this would happen but got mocked in here for saying so..

Dr Abraar Karan, an infectious disease doctor at Stanford University, told the BBC that the high death toll is largely a factor of the high hospitalisation rate, even if the symptoms of the Omicron variant are generally less severe than those of Delta.

Edited by MPH

15 minutes ago, MPH said:

Daily US death toll from Covid now matches Delta https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60133618

I remember telling people this would happen but got mocked in here for saying so..

Dr Abraar Karan, an infectious disease doctor at Stanford University, told the BBC that the high death toll is largely a factor of the high hospitalisation rate, even if the symptoms of the Omicron variant are generally less severe than those of Delta.

It would be interesting to see how the US matches up against other nations in these figures (Delta v Omicron) - as well as the proportion of the population of each that have or haven't been vaccinated.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the US population is less vaxxed overall and that can be directly correlated with an increased proportional death count. Even Omicron can be dangerous to the unvaccinated.

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It would be interesting to see how the US matches up against other nations in these figures (Delta v Omicron) - as well as the proportion of the population of each that have or haven't been vaccinated.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the US population is less vaxxed overall and that can be directly correlated with an increased proportional death count. Even Omicron can be dangerous to the unvaccinated.

Or non boosted if in a vulnerable demographic ...

Saw today that Olavo de Carvalho, Bolsonaro's political aide and guru the 'conservative ideologue' and vaccine sceptic that orchestrated the criminal lack of covid measures in Brazil has died within days of testing positive. 

Also noticed that the imbecile that suggested holidaying in Brazil during the winter of 2020-21 as a means of escaping restrictions briefly materialised on this thread again the other week. 

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Saw today that Olavo de Carvalho, Bolsonaro's political aide and guru the 'conservative ideologue' and vaccine sceptic that orchestrated the criminal lack of covid measures in Brazil has died within days of testing positive. 

Also noticed that the imbecile that suggested holidaying in Brazil during the winter of 2020-21 as a means of escaping restrictions briefly materialised on this thread again the other week. 

Poor bugger. No one deserves to die the way that Covid does it to you.

That being said, the Brazilian version of the coroners report on his passing should really include the words "self-inflicted" in it somewhere.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I don't know how the US measures deaths, but in the UK the daily death toll from omicron (based on positive test 28 days ago) is a fair bit higher than it was from delta.  Partly as a result of much higher case numbers, but also as a result that with so many people testing positive there must be hundreds of deaths each week which had nothing to do with covid; they're just random deaths in the same way as you would find hundreds of deaths each week from people who have just had a birthday.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Neil Young demands Spotify remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation

I suspect they get a lot more downloads of rogan than young ……

3 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't know how the US measures deaths, but in the UK the daily death toll from omicron (based on positive test 28 days ago) is a fair bit higher than it was from delta.  Partly as a result of much higher case numbers, but also as a result that with so many people testing positive there must be hundreds of deaths each week which had nothing to do with covid; they're just random deaths in the same way as you would find hundreds of deaths each week from people who have just had a birthday.

except of course having a birthday doesn’t mess with your respiratory, cardiac and neurological systems 

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Neil Young demands Spotify remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation

'The Needle and the Damage Done' indeed.

Read this in the paper this morning. As I understand, It's actually not Rogan per se. He has denounced many of his drug induced daft conspiratorial beliefs of the past, but will nonetheless often entertain wack jobs on his show like Malone because shit like this sells and he strongly believes they should have a voice. Problem is, the US public isn't quite so critically aware or sceptical. He does on the other end of the spectrum at least have some balance with some credible guests but in addition to broadening his audience, that creates outrage amongst his conspiracy addled, pseudoscience obsessive listeners/subscribers, which is also guaranteed to sell. 

So unlike something like Talk Radio, it's not mainly populist junk for the dumb. impressionable critically impaired and cerebrally challenged. I watched a very good one a few years back featuring the Hawaiian Democratic presidential candidate, Tulsi Gabbard ( imagine a likeable and honest alternative version of Priti Patel complete with a surfboard) - who despite her somewhat naive idealism is clearly a just and highly moral individual. A rarity in today's political arena. 

Edited by Line-X

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Obviously some truth in this, but perhaps not as significant as you might think.

This is from the ONS

ba2c2e43

Looks like, at least up to December, Covid 19 was the underlying cause of death in about 80% of deaths where it was mentioned on the death certificate. Seems to have varied a bit during the pandemic, but mostly in the same vicinity.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Poor bugger. No one deserves to die the way that Covid does it to you.

That being said, the Brazilian version of the coroners report on his passing should really include the words "self-inflicted" in it somewhere.

He was resident in Virginia but still remained Bolsanaro's [pseudo]-intellectual guru recently dining with the Brazilian president and...Steve Bannon, which tells you all you need to know. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/06/brazil-flat-earth-conference-terra-plana

And with such shocking levels of state sponsored anti-science it's hardly surprising that Bolsanaro is indicted for crimes against humanity after Covid was allowed to ravage the country. 

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t have any contempt for what the frontline have done, I have nothing but respect for my colleagues. 

I’m a fit 19 year old, I’m not going to end up in an ICU with COVID for not having a vaccine. 

Probably not, but not definitely.

This is a more direct link to the interactive table I was trying to highlight a few days ago showing a comparison of excess deaths with reported deaths from Covid, country by country. The previous link involved scrolling down and might have been confusing. It’s worth having a play with it.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid#estimated-excess-mortality-from-the-economist

Take a look at at India, South Africa and even China for instance. The reported deaths are far fewer than the excess deaths. Also, US worth a look.

For the world as a whole, excess deaths look like being around 4 times the reported figure of ~ 5m at around 20m. By comparison, I believe the 1918 pandemic toll was estimated to be between 50m and 100m, but in a much smaller population. Still, quite a significant toll considering all the measures that have been taken, vaccines, modern medicine generally, etc, and of course we haven’t finished yet.

As stated in the accompanying description, there is a great deal of uncertainty in the data, but this is thought to be the best guide available according to ourworldindata.org.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

33 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t have any contempt for what the frontline have done, I have nothing but respect for my colleagues. 

I’m a fit 19 year old, I’m not going to end up in an ICU with COVID for not having a vaccine. 

How do you know that for certain? 

Re: the video LiB posted. 2 seconds on Wikipedia and:

A staunch ally of President Donald Trump, Johnson voted for Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in 2017, supported Trump's decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), launched investigations into his political opponents and promoted false claims of fraud in relation to Trump's defeat in the 2020 presidential election. He has rejected the scientific consensus on climate change. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Johnson voted for the CARES Act, resisted stay at home orders, used his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee to invite witnesses to push fringe theories about COVID-19, and spread misinformation about COVID-19 vaccinations.

Oh look. Once again, Republican, Trump supporting, climate change denier - it's funny how all the same kind of people keep cropping up in all these things isn't it? Just like that Great Barrington declaration. It's almost like the whole Anti Vax movement is tied up in Q-Anon, 911 Truthers and any number of other bollocksy US based conspiracy theories that all come from the same bloody place. By happy coincidence, I just happened to have finished watching this interesting video (stick with it, it's not actually all about Flat Earth, it's a wider look at the mechanics behind all of these conspiracies and their methods tying it all together).

It's a scam and a cult. It wears all the tropes they all bloody wear.

Upcoming Apocalyptic threat? Great Reset

Threat to children? They're coming for your kids! Doctors being paid blood money to jab kiddies! Quick, write a cardboard sign and stand by the roundabout.

The power they are fighting? Evil Pfizer / Governments / nWo

Stats disprove your argument? Not collected correctly / faked

Edited by orangecity23
  • Like 3