Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

59 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

‘medical emergencies’ at football matches used to be dealt with as the game continued. That has changed - hence we are aware of such incidents when we didn’t used to be.  

That's true. And in my time as a pitch-side para we managed all medical incidents from a cut finger to a full on cardiac arrest as the game continued. I think what may have changed is when a game is televised live and there's clearly some commotion going on that the cameras can't avoid as they pan around, covering the on-pitch action thereby drawing attention to it. I don't think players on the pitch would necessarily be aware and therefore it wouldn't affect them directly. However stopping a game due to a medical emergency in the crowd, then that definitely affects them, not emotionally but in their match concentration.

I suspect the suspension of the game is out of respect for the person having the emergency. 

Any budding virologists able to answer this question

Currently two in the house with omicron 

four others still LFT negative five days on - although slight symptoms - sniffly, occasional sore throat, runny nose from time to time 

assuming the other four have taken the virus into our bodies and fought/are fighting it off to a level where an LFT won’t pick up a pos result, do our immune systems create ‘omicron’ antibodies/T cells or are those of the previous strain  capable of ‘smothering’ it without creating any new ones? 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Who knew the Canadians would end up winning the best protest in all this. Incredible scenes day after day in Ottawa, amazing.

It's an odd one, i hear the same people who went ape shit because extinction rebellion were blocking roads but applaud the Canadian truckers.

53 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's an odd one, i hear the same people who went ape shit because extinction rebellion were blocking roads but applaud the Canadian truckers.

Not heard this personally but I get what you're saying.

19 minutes ago, Milo said:

Win? 

Just mucking about mate. I mean it's the longest protest, it's getting the most coverage (not that that's hard) and it's the  most creative. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

It's an odd one, i hear the same people who went ape because extinction rebellion were blocking roads but applaud the Canadian truckers.

'Twas ever thus.  There are people who decry Brexit supporters as swivel-eyed racists but believe the SNP are all logical and wonderful.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Soup said:

Who knew the Canadians would end up winning the best protest in all this. Incredible scenes day after day in Ottawa, amazing.

Just a shame about what their British counterparts got up to regarding Keir Starmer, really.

Anyway, regarding the topic itself, those people involved do indeed believe in freedom...for themselves only.

4 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

32 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

'Twas ever thus.  There are people who decry Brexit supporters as swivel-eyed racists but believe the SNP are all logical and wonderful.

True.

The difference, however, lies in the scientific evidence they believe that is the basis for what they do. One is extremely reliable, the other...less so.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Just a shame about what their British counterparts got up to regarding Keir Starmer, really.

Anyway, regarding the topic itself, those people involved do indeed believe in freedom...for themselves only.

In your opinion

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Soup said:

In your opinion

Well, they seem remarkably unconcerned with the freedom of the immunocompromised and anyone else waiting for a medical procedure that they might end up blocking a bed for being not being vaccinated and then being hospitalisated.

Of course the odds are likely low, but there doesn't seem to be any concern about that at all.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think you are being pretty harsh.  There is a strong moral argument that while you can and should encourage people to be vaccinated, forcing them to do so through threats to their livelihood or other ways is removing bodily autonomy.  It's a big line to cross, and I tend to agree with them.  I am double vaccinated, getting my booster next week, but that was and is my choice.  If I was being forced to I would be pretty pissed off.  Having to prove I am double vaccinated to buy booze is bad enough, I can choose not to do that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, they seem remarkably unconcerned with the freedom of the immunocompromised and anyone else waiting for a medical procedure that they might end up blocking a bed for being not being vaccinated and then being hospitalisated.

Of course the odds are likely low, but there doesn't seem to be any concern about that at all.

Maybe they see that low risk as being worth it for the greater good. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soup said:

Maybe they see that low risk as being worth it for the greater good. 

Considering Occam's Razor for a moment, I am inclined to think that people taking the more self interested route on instinct is much simpler, and therefore more likely,  than them having worked out empirically that not getting vaccinated is overall a greater good. Especially when there's no conclusive evidence proving the latter.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think you are being pretty harsh.  There is a strong moral argument that while you can and should encourage people to be vaccinated, forcing them to do so through threats to their livelihood or other ways is removing bodily autonomy.  It's a big line to cross, and I tend to agree with them.  I am double vaccinated, getting my booster next week, but that was and is my choice.  If I was being forced to I would be pretty pissed off.  Having to prove I am double vaccinated to buy booze is bad enough, I can choose not to do that.

It's tricky to be sure.

This is how I responded to a similar concern a while back, it applies here too, particularly the bolded.

On 03/01/2022 at 21:23, leicsmac said:

Thanks for the response.

I can understand the worry that people have regarding the vaccine. There's an awful lot of both information and misinformation concerning it out there and it's very easy for someone to get lost, as it were.

However, for a fair few reasons (unknown preexisting conditions, long Covid and the decrease, however small, in transmission) I believe I can still cite with a certain amount of confidence that the risk presented by the vaccine is lower to even a "healthy" young human than the disease itself.

The societal measures enacted regarding the vaccine are a whole other debate, and a tricky one at that. I guess the conclusion I reach there is that while civil liberties have to be maintained as much as possible, there may come a time where an act of nature no longer offers us that luxury, at least temporarily. Put simply,  I fear what nature can do to us more than what humans can do to each other, and I think the numbers back me up there.

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Light viral load ??

I would keep testing each day - it may disappear before five days is out. You are supposed to ‘follow the rules’ though ……. 

when did you last test ? 

Happened with my youngest daughter before Xmas - stronger line next morning.

Happened with my eldest daughter a couple of weeks ago - no line the next day and nothing after.

6 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Happened with my youngest daughter before Xmas - stronger line next morning.

Happened with my eldest daughter a couple of weeks ago - no line the next day and nothing after.

The line tends to fade as the infections wanes …… but it can be faint from the beginning if your load is light. but no hard and fast rules (as is usual with this disease) 

Boris to end all COVID restrictions soon ?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-announces-plan-to-end-final-restrictions-including-self-isolation-a-month-earlier-than-planned-12537224

Guess they are going to rely on the vaccine being enough to protect everyone from serious illness even if they come into contact with someone who has COVID.

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-announces-plan-to-end-final-restrictions-including-self-isolation-a-month-earlier-than-planned-12537224

Guess they are going to rely on the vaccine being enough to protect everyone from serious illness even if they come into contact with someone who has COVID.

All well and good for us to be living with it and for it to be everywhere but if you want to travel then you’re going to have problems! (Unless the ROW follow suit) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The line tends to fade as the infections wanes …… but it can be faint from the beginning if your load is light. but no hard and fast rules (as is usual with this disease) 

Think my eldest just had a false positive.  She did a test a couple of hour later that was negative, as were the following ones. She has to test every couple of days for college. 

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Light viral load ??

I would keep testing each day - it may disappear before five days is out. You are supposed to ‘follow the rules’ though ……. 

when did you last test ? 

Took one in the morning that was negative, positive in the evening.

Actually ended up in hospital last night having had a coughing fit and passing out. I'm alright though.

21 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I note that Johnson made this announcement in commons. Where are the usual scientists to back this. He has always said he is led by the science. This again is simply to garner support from his back benchers and to con the public. I still think that another month or so towards end of March is more prudent 

• Like 2

Anyone else finding that this year's common cold is worse than covid?

I had covid some months back (Delta variant, I assume) and didn't feel bad at all.  Admittedly, I had been double-jabbed.

Currently got a cold ... you know, one of those silly minor things we get every year, and feeling much worse.

(although I did read somewhere that lockdown and restrictions have menat that we haven't got used to our usual level of colds and flu, so it's worse this year.)