Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Anyone else finding that this year's common cold is worse than covid?

I had covid some months back (Delta variant, I assume) and didn't feel bad at all.  Admittedly, I had been double-jabbed.

Currently got a cold ... you know, one of those silly minor things we get every year, and feeling much worse.

(although I did read somewhere that lockdown and restrictions have menat that we haven't got used to our usual level of colds and flu, so it's worse this year.)

I had Covid 3-4 weeks ago, nothing really, just a sniffle.

Woke up yesterday barely able to move, my whole body aches, slight sickness feeling. Both kids had a sickness bug last week so wondering if it's related. Feel a bit better today but still not 100%. It was that bad I couldn't even work from home which I don't think has ever happened to me. I had to lie in bed most of the day.

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Countries' entry requirements starting to fall like dominos now. No one will want to be the ones missing out on tourism and trade because of silly vaccine rules. 

The end is in sight :scarf:

Lots of very nervous people still. Can't blame them if vulnerable. Not convinced that infections etc are anywhere low enough yet. Let's see how things are when spring is here.

5 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Lots of very nervous people still. Can't blame them if vulnerable. Not convinced that infections etc are anywhere low enough yet. Let's see how things are when spring is here.

Agree...and in the meantime hope that another variant of concern doesn't emerge from those impoverished parts of the the world that remain unprotected from those "silly" vaccinations. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree...and in the meantime hope that another variant of concern doesn't emerge from those impoverished parts of the the world that remain unprotected from those "silly" vaccinations. 

Didn't say vaccines were silly, but entry requirements mainly are when every variant is already everywhere. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

50 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Didn't say vaccines were silly, but entry requirements mainly are when every variant is already everywhere. 

I know you didn't, I appreciate that, but unfortunately the possibility remains that such measures may be required again. Let's hope that future mutations either destabilise the virus or continue to steer it in a milder direction. 

Unless another more dangerous strain emerges, I think the current round of vaccine mandates have already done their job. Those that are likely to be vaccinated have already done so, and the highly infectious Omicron strain has mostly dealt with the remainder in the UK and elsewhere. This coupled with a somewhat disappointing level of sterilising immunity afforded by vaccines means that mandates have probably outgrown their usefulness.

I still believe they were correct in principle, but continued mandates are boosting dangerous right wing groups (a very noisy minority), and drawing in otherwise harmless “wellness” types, conspiracy theorists and other assorted nutters. A coalition of the stupid and malicious.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

My daughter was t well last week (13 years old) so did a test which was negative.

Didnt go school for a few days,  just put it down to "girls things".

Went back school Thursday  and Friday.

Did anotherctest Friday as they were going away to my wifes sisters- negative again.

I'm at the Forest game, and she WhatsApp me saying shes had a positive test on Sunday(They  always do one Dunday for School).

She feels fine but obviously  csnt go school.

We tell the school.

She does another test on Tuesday night and its negative! She feels fine and wanted to go School as its the last week before half term!

So shes missed another week cos of a positive and then a negative test when she feels fine.

Fed up of this now as its ruining her education, and wondering really how many kids DO tests prior to going school.

I've told her to leave the tests now unless she actually feels bad. Bloody joke

I'm still feeling pretty shite. Main problems for me is sore throat, proper body aches and a pretty nasty chest pain. Can't help worrying about the chest despite having all the checks in the hospital and everything looking mostly fine. Also had pretty severe chest pain coinciding with all 3 vaccines, but again all checked out OK. Dread to think how I'd be if I hadn't had them.

Was given 9 days worth of dexamethasone tablets although I was so out of it I don't actually know what they are or what they're for. Had a 330ml beer last night and about passed out, trying to remember if they told me not to drink on them.

Edited by Kopic
  • Like 1

The Act Accelerated, the global initiative to fund the necessary covid testing and vaccination around the world is extremely short of the money that it says would end the pandemic as a global emergency this year. £16b dollars is needed to end the acute phase of the pandemic - which sounds like a huge sum, but is less than what the world is losing every month right now. The argument for the solidarity needed to end this just isn't coming through. The virus has shown world leaders that irrespective of how much you vaccinate and test, there will be new variants that will arise from the toxic mix of low vaccines and testing in many parts of the world. There's currently a false sense of security that we are moving towards endemic disease with mild symptoms, but what we do know about SARS-CoV-2, is that it the only constant is change and it has the capacity to continue to surprise us - and we've never been ready for those surprises. In large parts of the world there is no testing, so we can't see it evolving, and we are not vaccinating so that we can reduce those risks. Globally there are still 2m reported cases alone and 5,000 deaths per day. What we appear to be "learning to live with" in the affluent developed world is still what should be an unacceptable burden of disease globally - especially when there are the tools to slow this, manage it, drive it down, but you can't do that with only half of the world protected. $16b invested is an extremely good buy to get out of this pandemic or at the very least, the acute phase. If the solidarity argument is not compelling enough, in terms of self-interest alone we are allowing a pandemic to endure which is a drag on economies, a burden on health care and has more than enough left in its locker to turn the world upside down again. $16b is the best investment the world could make this year. 

33 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just imagine how much sooner it may have occurred if more people had cooperated for the sake of those who aren't them instead of arguing the toss over misinformation and self-interest.

Doubt we'll know for a while, may end up being better than we all caught it in quick succession at the end of 2021, rather than dragging it out.

50 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Doubt we'll know for a while, may end up being better than we all caught it in quick succession at the end of 2021, rather than dragging it out.

Thought that was pretty much what did happen. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood your post.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

3 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Last ever shift on ICU tonight. Feels so strange as it's all I've ever known since I qualified 11 1/2 years ago really.

Work is busy with surgeries and also a lot of overdoses lately, but very little covid in icu. Those few we are getting continue to be unvaccinated men around 35-50 years old with Omicron or Delta.

I'm starting to feel a lot more like my old self again.

I really hope you will be happier with whatever you do next, you certainly deserve it after the last couple of years. Best of luck x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/02/2022 at 10:24, z-layrex said:

Last ever shift on ICU tonight. Feels so strange as it's all I've ever known since I qualified 11 1/2 years ago really.

Work is busy with surgeries and also a lot of overdoses lately, but very little covid in icu. Those few we are getting continue to be unvaccinated men around 35-50 years old with Omicron or Delta.

I'm starting to feel a lot more like my old self again.

What's your next chapter in life going to be?

Good luck

When restrictions are lifted, what happens if a workplace still wants to send you home if you get it (or symptoms?)

Where I work we don't get paid for sickness apart from ssp.  If a workplace then sends someone home, how does that work regarding sickness? Should the company pay you full pay? 

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

When restrictions are lifted, what happens if a workplace still wants to send you home if you get it (or symptoms?)

Where I work we don't get paid for sickness apart from ssp.  If a workplace then sends someone home, how does that work regarding sickness? Should the company pay you full pay? 

Probably if they send you home but yes guess people will literally drag themselves out of bed to work now .

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

You will only be allowed to go home if your legs half hanging off.Even then you’ll get tutted at.Same as it ever was.