Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, OrielCaziado said:

Had to laugh yesterday when I read about them SAGE boys still trying to milk a bit more saying the next mutation might kill 1 in 3 people it infects and to think they’ve ruined the world for the last two years with their Ferguson type predictions and we’ve all followed their advice. 

You mean that headline you saw in the Daily Mail. 

"Them SAGE boys" issue regular reports which are unveiled by the Government advisory group as part of its weekly transparency pledge. As part of this, it is their remit to appraise potential scenarios that could emerge in the not-so-distant future to threaten global healthcare security. In amongst these is a paper which examines the possibility of a process called recombination through which previous strains - for example, the jab-resistant Beta variant and the more transmissible Alpha or Delta variant - could merge. A future strain could be as deadly as MERS (which is still out there) could kill 35% of those it infects. Since half the world is still unvaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 the possibility of a still deadlier variant emerging is a very real one, and with all restrictions relaxed, arriving on these shores. (Picture the scenes on this thread). Science tells us that we 'must not be complacent' as Britain appears to be coming out its current third wave of the pandemic. That's all.

The report also stresses that it was equally realistic that Covid will mutate to become less lethal over time, becoming like other human CoV that causes common colds, but with much less severe disease predominantly in the old or clinically vulnerable.  I guess you missed that part - along with the rest of the article. 

And it's not just "them SAGE boys" up to it. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office have ruined my world by advising against all travel to the Ukraine - and Yemen, the cheeky bastards. There goes my beach resort holiday on the Black Sea booked for this June, and my sightseeing trip to Sana'a the following month. Outrageous. To think, we've all followed their advice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You mean that headline you saw in the Daily Mail. 

"Them SAGE boys" issue regular reports which are unveiled by the Government advisory group as part of its weekly transparency pledge. As part of this, it is their remit to appraise potential scenarios that could emerge in the not-so-distant future to threaten global healthcare security. In amongst these is a paper which examines the possibility of a process called recombination through which previous strains - for example, the jab-resistant Beta variant and the more transmissible Alpha or Delta variant - could merge. A future strain could be as deadly as MERS (which is still out there) could kill 35% of those it infects. Since half the world is still unvaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 the possibility of a still deadlier variant emerging is a very real one, and with all restrictions relaxed, arriving on these shores. (Picture the scenes on this thread). Science tells us that we 'must not be complacent' as Britain appears to be coming out its current third wave of the pandemic. That's all.

The report also stresses that it was equally realistic that Covid will mutate to become less lethal over time, becoming like other human CoV that causes common colds, but with much less severe disease predominantly in the old or clinically vulnerable.  I guess you missed that part - along with the rest of the article. 

And it's not just "them SAGE boys" up to it. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office have ruined my world by advising against all travel to the Ukraine - and Yemen, the cheeky bastards. There goes my beach resort holiday on the Black Sea booked for this June, and my sightseeing trip to Sana'a the following month. Outrageous. To think, we've all followed their advice. 

You’re wasting you time with all that effort - people have their entrenched views and it’s pretty pointers trying to shift them - even moreso now ……….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’re wasting you time with all that effort - people have their entrenched views and it’s pretty pointers trying to shift them - even moreso now ……….

"Them Sage boys" ruining the world and still trying to milk a virus that has killed nearly six million and continues to claim 5,000 lives a day. What time's the footie on? 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

"Them Sage boys" ruining the world and still trying to milk a virus that has killed nearly six million and continues to claim 5,000 lives a day. What time's the footie on? 

I think the quote should have been ‘them sage boys running the world’ ………… would have fitted the agenda so much better …..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OrielCaziado said:

Had to laugh yesterday when I read about them SAGE boys still trying to milk a bit more saying the next mutation might kill 1 in 3 people it infects and to think they’ve ruined the world for the last two years with their Ferguson type predictions and we’ve all followed their advice. 

Oh come on. There are some girls in SAGE as well aren’t there 😉

55 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

This thread is all he's got

Don't be ridiculous, 'I mean' you've clearly not seen the 'composite decking' thread, or visited 'Items and objects you pick up off the street'. 

I admit, this one is frequently a major source of amusement I'll grant you that, but I've noticed you posting on others...so at least there's that. 

Edited by Line-X

Wasnt expecting no comments on this thread today until this one.

I'm all about little to no restrictions but not sure what value to society today's announcement add in the long run and for the clinically vulnerable.

Flip side is I guess there has to be a line in the sand in terms of funding somewhere.

The rest of Australia are pretty much past the peak of their Omicron wave, and now the virus is on the increase here in WA. We have an incredibly high 2 dose vaccination rate and about 50% over 18 boosted and rising. My extended family are all boosted including my 94 year old father.

It occurs to me that at some point we will all be exposed to the virus, and that this would be best while:

- It is no more than 3 months since the last vaccine shot

- Hospitals  are still empty (currently 2 in hospital)

With this in mind it does rather seem that going to extraordinary lengths to avoid getting infected would be counter productive.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

The road map forward now will be interesting. As much as they stress that the virus hasn’t gone away, they have effectively signed the dotted line for people to treat it like that. 

I wonder if the pulling the trigger on this now, related to re-allocation of funding due to potential issues in Eastern Europe, energy prices etc, as they’ll save a few billion of £££’s not dishing out tests and shutting down PCR centres. 

I wonder how the more vulnerable in society feel about this? Ultimately is this now treated like other annual viruses? 

23 minutes ago, Sly said:

The road map forward now will be interesting. As much as they stress that the virus hasn’t gone away, they have effectively signed the dotted line for people to treat it like that. 

I wonder if the pulling the trigger on this now, related to re-allocation of funding due to potential issues in Eastern Europe, energy prices etc, as they’ll save a few billion of £££’s not dishing out tests and shutting down PCR centres. 

I wonder how the more vulnerable in society feel about this? Ultimately is this now treated like other annual viruses? 

Think they ought to at least tell people who are displaying symptoms to stay at home. Don't need to test, as even if it's only a cold or flu it's better not to infect others. Ughhh.

30 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Does feel weird how you can now test positive and still go about your day. Deaths must be pretty much at zero from Omicron.

Obvs not 

wonder if the decision is about getting as many exposed to omicron whilst the booster is still effective within their immune system ??  Waiting another month would mean those jabbed in late nov /early dec may not have such strong antibody response to the infection. 

that does make some of  the ‘vulnerable’  even more vulnerable ……

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Obvs not 

wonder if the decision is about getting as many exposed to omicron whilst the booster is still effective within their immune system ??  Waiting another month would mean those jabbed in late nov /early dec may not have such strong antibody response to the infection. 

that does make some of  the ‘vulnerable’  even more vulnerable ……

You make it sound as there is some form of scientific strategy here,  it is nothing of the sort,  it is all about Johnson saving himself from the ERG,  who hold the key to his continued employment.

53 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

You make it sound as there is some form of scientific strategy here,  it is nothing of the sort,  it is all about Johnson saving himself from the ERG,  who hold the key to his continued employment.

I think you’ll find our ability to be open more than other European counties post alpha wave is down to the amount of natural immunity we have because so many have been infected ….whether you believe in herd immunity or not, it’s clear that this govt has followed a de facto herd immunity policy ….

of course there is a large political element to this but yet again, it could be that lucky general status boris seems to enjoy coming into play …..

Edited by st albans fox

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Hopefully it will allow people's mental health to improve and also allow for those who's businesses/jobs have been affected to operate at maximum capacity as everyone combats the recent increase in the cost of living. 

Indeed.

Let's also hope that the NHS doesn't bow and then break under any increased load of hospitalisations either directly or indirectly due to increased Covid numbers that would render all of the above irrelevant.