Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

He talks more sense than most people tbf

Not to me he didn’t …. Got bored half way through 

if you’re of a mindset that you have a fear the authorities are trying to control you and restrict your ‘freedoms’, then you’ll be receptive to his message, the majority of the worlds population will appreciate that if a globally accepted vaccine passport is indeed required in the face of renewed strains of concern, then to maintain international travel, this is a sensible route forward.  How you arrive at that document is the question. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not to me he didn’t …. Got bored half way through 

if you’re of a mindset that you have a fear the authorities are trying to control you and restrict your ‘freedoms’, then you’ll be receptive to his message, the majority of the worlds population will appreciate that if a globally accepted vaccine passport is indeed required in the face of renewed strains of concern, then to maintain international travel, this is a sensible route forward.  How you arrive at that document is the question. 

I haven't watched the video, I was talking generally

9 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes I heard about that.Considering you did such a good job of containing the original strain’s.Resistance is futile on this one.

Yeah, I'd say the evidence is obvious that Omicron cannot be contained outside of the most extraordinary measures. Even China, with all their repression, aren't managing it.

Here's hoping that it remains an at least somewhat manageable strain in terms of hospitalisations and fatalities.

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Omicron has utterly blown the bloody doors off over here now.

Over 600,000 cases yesterday.

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, I'd say the evidence is obvious that Omicron cannot be contained outside of the most extraordinary measures. Even China, with all their repression, aren't managing it.

Here's hoping that it remains an at least somewhat manageable strain in terms of hospitalisations and fatalities.

China is intriguing - I suspect they are waiting to see how effective their vaccines are against omicron causing hospitalisations - evidence from other parts of the world would indicate that they won’t have a huge problem and that they may well change their safety first approach within a couple months - trying to keep omicron under control is really using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

if covid had begun with the initial strain as omicron then I doubt we would have had too many lockdowns around the world …….

6 hours ago, ealingfox said:

2 years in and I've finally caught the thing. A tiny bit of a sore throat and a bit achey but really I'm fine. Bit mental that I can still go out and do whatever I want lol

It's never been a criminal offence to pass on infectious diseases, so far as I know.  Or was there an exception for a man who was prosecuted for deliberately infecting someone with AIDS?  Either way, it's never been criminal to be unkind and antisocial with "a tiny bit of a sore throat".

Though I assume you're being facetious.  Just because it's no longer criminal to leave you r home does not mean it's all right to do so.  I think that's an aspect that hasn't been stressed enough - to leave your home and infect friends, colleagues, strangers, is still the wrong thing to do.  Even though it's no longer criminal.

• Like 3

Someone at work coming in for the last few days with a ‘cold’. Banging on about ‘no need to isolate anymore….’ 

Finally persuaded them to take a test today and guess what :mad:

He’s now off work in line with our policy, probably be out and about spreading it around whilst I’m waiting to see if I remain negative to make it to the match and three gigs/concerts I have next week.

Unfortunately I actually give a toss about total strangers so will actually isolate at home if I do pick it up. 

9 minutes ago, Livid said:

Someone at work coming in for the last few days with a ‘cold’. Banging on about ‘no need to isolate anymore….’ 

He’s now off work in line with our policy, probably be out and about spreading it around whilst I’m waiting to see if I remain negative to make it to the match and three gigs/concerts I have next week.

Unfortunately I actually give a toss about total strangers so will actually isolate at home if I do pick it up. 

Im guessing your username is quite apt for your current mood then? ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

I do wonder sometimes what would have been different regarding coronavirus,  had the initial outbreaks 2 years ago happened right when the Ukraine stuff was going on instead.  Would it have made as big a song and dance about? 

I think you may need to dig out some of those documentaries from spring 2020 to see what went on with the first wave ………

• Like 2

On 18/03/2022 at 17:52, Livid said:

Your stance would be correct if containing Omicron wasn't so futile. If people you come into contact don't catch it from you, it'll very likely be someone else who may not even have symptoms.

• Like 3

Can’t stand people still banging on about Covid on twitter saying how lockdowns were useless etc. There’s a guy called James Melville who keeps popping up and I don’t even know who he is, but every day it seems he is going on about something. They are using their anger at lockdowns and masks etc to try and stay relevant and it is pathetic. They need to just move on and live their life.

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Can’t stand people still banging on about Covid on twitter saying how lockdowns were useless etc. There’s a guy called James Melville who keeps popping up and I don’t even know who he is, but every day it seems he is going on about something. They are using their anger at lockdowns and masks etc to try and stay relevant and it is pathetic. They need to just move on and live their life.

As Bertrand Russell opined. "the fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - and that was pre-internet. "The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered" Proverbs 17:12. At the risk of ushering @Benguin at this point, I'll move swiftly on. 

The loudest voices are from those who advocate outrage, conflict and divisiveness which as we now know is the main commercial mission of social media platforms to harbour and foster this. The Internet has given a voice to Dunning Kruger afflicted individuals who have nothing worthwhile or considered to say and who would ordinarily have been considered the village idiot. The barstool philosopher is no longer drowned out and seems to be afforded as much credence as a Nobel Prize winner. Apparently, this is termed "thinking out of the box". 

SARS-CoV-2 was a genetic crap shoot, a roll of the dice - and we lucked out massively with omicron. That's something to celebrate as we look back at the dark and dismal days that were unfolding two years ago. Although this seems like a distant memory now, the world is actually still in the acute phase of a pandemic. If 70% of people on the planet are vaccinated, this could be over by the middle of this year. If however in the unlikely prospect of a recombination event a highly virulent variant swept the world - or hypothetically, in the future a strain as deadly as MERS and as contagious as Omicron emerged killing one in three of those infected, I can only speculate what those self-appointed experts would do? Particularly those that that bizarrely maintain that limiting social contact doesn't reduce the spread of a contagious disease.

I am also struck by how much it would have intensified the suffering of people on both sides of the current conflict in Ukraine had it descended on the world two years later. 

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Don't go on twitter then.