Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I have as I have muted him. 

You've not though have you, he's still there and he's still tweeting, and before long you'll be wondering what rubbish he's tweeting so you'll unmute him, just to check. Face it, he's living in your head, rent free.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You've not though have you, he's still there and he's still tweeting, and before long you'll be wondering what rubbish he's tweeting so you'll unmute him, just to check. Face it, he's living in your head, rent free.

What’s your problem? Why would I unmute him? He’s annoying so now I won’t have to see his embarrassing tweets. He isn’t living in my head “rent free” at all I just pointed out earlier how I can’t stand people still going on about lockdowns etc. You must be a fan of his. 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I'm not saying I agree with the geezer you're referencing (not actually seen what he's said, kinda just jumping in on your post here) or that statistics are facts, but wasn't it quite widely publicised in mainstream news a couple of months ago that the first lockdown was only projected to have saved roughly 0.2% of COVID-related deaths in the UK in the first wave? They also slowed down the build up of immunity within society that's now been achieved through vaccine rollout. 

I’m not sure but I assume it would’ve saved a lot of lives if you remember back to how bad it was first time round. I do agree that following the initial lockdown some of the rules have been crazy (food in pubs to have a pint etc). I just think it’s time to move on.

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

What’s your problem? Why would I unmute him? He’s annoying so now I won’t have to see his embarrassing tweets. He isn’t living in my head “rent free” at all I just pointed out earlier how I can’t stand people still going on about lockdowns etc. You must be a fan of his. 

I haven't got a problem, i just find it amusing when someone's moaning about something they've actually created in the first place. Twitter works on a algorithm that will show content on your timeline based on what you've searched or interacted with previously so as a guess you're going to keep getting annoying tweets that you don't like.  If you go to Twitter settings, notifications, advanced filters, and mute receiving notification from people you don't follow or who don't follow you, you won't get annoyed in the first place.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 23:00, dsr-burnley said:

It's never been a criminal offence to pass on infectious diseases, so far as I know.  Or was there an exception for a man who was prosecuted for deliberately infecting someone with AIDS?  Either way, it's never been criminal to be unkind and antisocial with "a tiny bit of a sore throat".

Though I assume you're being facetious.  Just because it's no longer criminal to leave you r home does not mean it's all right to do so.  I think that's an aspect that hasn't been stressed enough - to leave your home and infect friends, colleagues, strangers, is still the wrong thing to do.  Even though it's no longer criminal.

People won’t know they have Covid once testing starts and if I’m anything to go by, I’d need to stay at home most of the year if I counted every tickle, sneeze Etc Etc 

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'm not saying I agree with the geezer you're referencing (not actually seen what he's said, kinda just jumping in on your post here) or that statistics are facts, but wasn't it quite widely publicised in mainstream news a couple of months ago that the first lockdown was only projected to have saved roughly 0.2% of COVID-related deaths in the UK in the first wave? They also slowed down the build up of immunity within society that's now been achieved through vaccine rollout. 

Mentioned this the other day but some of us could do with digging out some of those documentaries that followed events in the NHS march/april/may 2020 .... one of the wonderful traits of humans is the ability to 'move on' - but this also means that we also often fail to learn the lessons of history ....

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Seem to know loads catching the virus but but they say it feels more like a cold than anything else .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60872687

Tested positive this morning, after returning from Egypt and being stuck on a plane next to a guy who didnt stop coughing for the entire 6h flight. (Ofc he didnt wear a mask and answered no to the flight crew when asked if he had any symptoms.)

Sore throat a bit of a tickly cough and a little snotty, some loss of taste and a headache. Nothing major at all and it really does just feel like a cold. 

Edit to add, cancelled this weekends plans, including Sunday lunch with my son for mothers day, will self isolate for a week.  

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Tested positive this morning, after returning from Egypt and being stuck on a plane next to a guy who didnt stop coughing for the entire 6h flight. (Ofc he didnt wear a mask and answered no to the flight crew when asked if he had any symptoms.)

Sore throat a bit of a tickly cough and a little snotty, some loss of taste and a headache. Nothing major at all and it really does just feel like a cold. 

Edit to add, cancelled this weekends plans, including Sunday lunch with my son for mothers day, will self isolate for a week.  

Shame for you - hope all is well soon .

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2022 at 00:00, dsr-burnley said:

It's never been a criminal offence to pass on infectious diseases, so far as I know.  Or was there an exception for a man who was prosecuted for deliberately infecting someone with AIDS?  Either way, it's never been criminal to be unkind and antisocial with "a tiny bit of a sore throat".

Though I assume you're being facetious.  Just because it's no longer criminal to leave you r home does not mean it's all right to do so.  I think that's an aspect that hasn't been stressed enough - to leave your home and infect friends, colleagues, strangers, is still the wrong thing to do.  Even though it's no longer criminal.

That’s an interesting question.

I think that guy who was imprisoned for deliberately spreading AIDS was telling people he didn’t have it and then mockingly texting them that he’d given it to them afterwards and even deliberately sabotaging condoms so others would get it when they thought they were having safe sex. So there was written evidence of his clear intent to infect others.

Wasn’t there talk of someone being trialled when a train worker who had been deliberately coughed on died? But it was impossible to prove that’s how she actually got it given the thousands of people she’d interacted with.

I imagine there must be laws against deliberately infecting people with potentially deadly diseases, it would seem ludicrous to me if there wasn’t. But at the same time it must be almost impossible to prove outside of STIs.

There’s no way you can ever really prove how you got flu or covid or viral pneumonia or something else as you could easily have got it from someone you never even met who sneezed over something at the supermarket you touched a minute or two later.

Whereas with STIs you can absolutely go back through your sexual history and prove who you’ve caught it from.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Hope you finally had a great time in Egypt, it's a real shame about Mother's Day, but at least you will still have it to look forward to when you're feeling better :)

• Thanks 1

UK infections have increased by 1 million in a week. Fortunately the high rates of transmission associated with the Omicron B2 variant are not translating into an increase in intensive care cases and deaths. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

UK infections have increased by 1 million in a week. Fortunately the high rates of transmission associated with the Omicron B2 variant are not translating into an increase in intensive care cases and deaths. 

People dying within 28 days of a + covid test are bound to increase

the stats need to be fine tuned to reflect covid as being responsible for hospitalisation and deaths rather than patients having tested positive at some point within past month 

On 25/03/2022 at 17:31, Suzie the Fox said:

Then we still have Selfish egoistisch numpties,  who like tellIng us its their choice...!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

More pillory by hindsight, it’s just so valuable.   :rolleyes:

Edit I take that back, what a frankly horrendous click-baity article…..

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Of course it didn’t prevent people from dying but pre vaccination, we would’ve lost close to 500,000 people if we just let it rip completely uncontrolled. Some may disagree but lockdowns were the correct thing to do (although there should’ve been far more leeway to meet up outside). 

42 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Of course it didn’t prevent people from dying but pre vaccination, we would’ve lost close to 500,000 people if we just let it rip completely uncontrolled. Some may disagree but lockdowns were the correct thing to do (although there should’ve been far more leeway to meet up outside). 

That raises two issues.  One is that obviously there wasn't a binary option of lockdown or no controls at all; I don't think the Daily Mail is arguing that there should have been no action at all.  The other is, how do we know what the results would have been?  Brazil, run by a nutter who never did believe covid was more than a cold, had 354 excess deaths per 100,000 people; your projection for the UK would have us at more than double that.  How do we know your projection is correct?  I'm sure the "correct" answer was somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Yes, if any single mistake was made it was to overstate the danger of outdoor transmission. I think this started to change during the Black Lives Matter protests, when it became clear that transmission outdoors was much less than expected. I would hope that the whole science of epidemiology has learnt a huge amount from this episode, and it is of course right that the data is studied scientifically (and without ideological bias) to extract every ounce of expertise that can be gained.

Regarding measures taken to control the virus, this is the classic situation where action is taken to avoid a problem. Said action works to some degree, reducing the scope of the problem, then naysayers jump in to claim that the absence of a catastrophe proves that action obviously wasn’t needed.

Analogously, if by some miracle the world had taken climate change more seriously 30 years ago, and we had as a result managed to avoid the sort of climate chaos that we are now starting to see (probably only the tip of the iceberg), the same types of people would be using the resulting lack of climate related catastrophes as proof that no action was necessary.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

People still letting covid occupy their minds? 

I'd forgotten all about it until I saw this thread lol

...and yet it continues to kill more people around the world every day than the current event that is filling everyones minds and news reports.

Funny how humans suffer from that lack of rationality when it comes to "human-caused" events against "non-human caused" or "natural" events, isn't it? I wonder why we have that particular blind spot.

47 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, if any single mistake was made it was to overstate the danger of outdoor transmission. I think this started to change during the Black Lives Matter protests, when it became clear that transmission outdoors was much less than expected. I would hope that the whole science of epidemiology has learnt a huge amount from this episode, and it is of course right that the data is studied scientifically (and without ideological bias) to extract every ounce of expertise that can be gained.

Regarding measures taken to control the virus, this is the classic situation where action is taken to avoid a problem. Said action works to some degree, reducing the scope of the problem, then naysayers jump in to claim that the absence of a catastrophe proves that action obviously wasn’t needed.

Analogously, if by some miracle the world had taken climate change more seriously 30 years ago, and we had as a result managed to avoid the sort of climate chaos that we are now starting to see (probably only the tip of the iceberg), the same types of people would be using the resulting lack of climate related catastrophes as proof that no action was necessary.

TBH I'd take such idiot scepticism over the current situation that has the distinct possibility of getting very grim.

Though there might be a certain very dark, very schadenfreudic humour in seeing those who didn't want to do anything feel the full effects of climate change and realise just how wrong they were and just how screwed they are, before everything goes tits up.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

That raises two issues.  One is that obviously there wasn't a binary option of lockdown or no controls at all; I don't think the Daily Mail is arguing that there should have been no action at all.  The other is, how do we know what the results would have been?  Brazil, run by a nutter who never did believe covid was more than a cold, had 354 excess deaths per 100,000 people; your projection for the UK would have us at more than double that.  How do we know your projection is correct?  I'm sure the "correct" answer was somewhere in the middle.

I'm sorry, but given the phrasing of that headline the inference that there should have been no lockdown is obvious. They didn't directly say it, but they didn't have to.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Madness. We could in the near future be at war and we're still shoving things up our noses from an ally of the country we could be at war with.

i assume you are referring to china.... best send your mobile phone back then - probably manufactured in china.... if you have a games console, or an android TV box, chuck those in the bin.