Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It still amazes me how so many people seem to be completely oblivious to long Covid. Yes the symptoms of the initial infection may seem mild, but the virus can be doing untold damage to many of the internal organs, so many people are feeling severe effects months afterwards, yet people are still comparing it to a cold? Never forgetting the millions who have died of this so called 'cold'. 

Absolutely mind boggling the ignorance and complacency. 

The other day I bumped into an old schoolmate I hadn't seen in 10 years. He caught covid twice, but the initial infection has caused brain shrinkage which he's been dealing with for a year - he says he has trouble recognising himself in the mirror and will often drive somewhere (a usual route) and get completely lost if he hasn't punched the address in the satnav. Certainly not something I'd want, let alone the long-term lung damage etc

22 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It still amazes me how so many people seem to be completely oblivious to long Covid. Yes the symptoms of the initial infection may seem mild, but the virus can be doing untold damage to many of the internal organs, so many people are feeling severe effects months afterwards, yet people are still comparing it to a cold? Never forgetting the millions who have died of this so called 'cold'. 

Quite.

You might have thought this all would have given humanity a bit more respect for the natural world and the havoc it can wreak on us, rather than just on each other. Apparently not.

I sincerely hope that it doesn't choose to send us another, rather sharper reminder in due course due to our apparent inability to learn.

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you’re vaccinated then your chances of long covid in a serious way are greatly diminished, you might be rough for a few weeks at worst but your body can clear it and it isn’t damaging your organs. Unvaccinated is obviously different and all of the terrible long covid stories I’ve heard of were all pre vaccine. 

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Has anybody heard of anybody suffering long Covid from an Omicron infection?

I think you would call me complacent Deb but after 3 jabs and having had the disease, it is just like any other cold to me now. I took Covid seriously when it was a scary unknown and before vaccines, and again when Delta took hold, but Omicron is like a different disease altogether really. It's nothing to worry about unless you're seriously ill or very old (even then it's not the death sentence it was, look at the Queen for example with her mild symptoms). 

9 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Has anybody heard of anybody suffering long Covid from an Omicron infection?

I think you would call me complacent Deb but after 3 jabs and having had the disease, it is just like any other cold to me now. I took Covid seriously when it was a scary unknown and before vaccines, and again when Delta took hold, but Omicron is like a different disease altogether really. It's nothing to worry about unless you're seriously ill or very old (even then it's not the death sentence it was, look at the Queen for example with her mild symptoms). 

I'm not sure Omicron has been around long enough for long covid to really be known about yet has it? Until we know more I'm just very wary of comparing it to a cold, that's all. 

And no, 3 jabs doesn't count as being complacent I don't think :thumbup: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's currently not as bad as a cold.  I've had worse colds in the past year and still been ok to go out and about with those and yet was barred from leaving the house for 11 days after symptoms lasting 6 hours.  

That may well be your experience, but, it isn't the same for everyone  unfortunately.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, but only personal anecdotes and what happens about oneself is important.

Didn't you get the memo?

Speaking of which....I've just woke up after a 2-3 hour sleep period, as has become normal now, during my 4th night  since catching this bloody virus.

Aside from the other ailments I have listed previously, I keep having weird dreams. The latest one involved a Christmas morning at my cousins house, Peggy Mitchell was there (already drunk) enjoying herself and acting as Cockney as I could expect. Benedict Cumberbatch had just unwrapped a dvd boxset of Dr Who and started asking me about it...I confessed to him that I wasn't much of an expert and hadn't really watched the show since Tom Baker played the role and he had a penchant for really long scarves. I then decided to pop to a guitar shop for a browse whilst I waited for a cheese based snack to cool down. 

Anyway, gonna try and sleep some more now, hopefully I will have more energy tomorrow and just getting out of bed won't feel like a struggle.

Thankful it's not as bad as a cold though 🤣🙏

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Flamey said:

Speaking of which....I've just woke up after a 2-3 hour sleep period, as has become normal now, during my 4th night  since catching this bloody virus.

Aside from the other ailments I have listed previously, I keep having weird dreams. The latest one involved a Christmas morning at my cousins house, Peggy Mitchell was there (already drunk) enjoying herself and acting as Cockney as I could expect. Benedict Cumberbatch had just unwrapped a dvd boxset of Dr Who and started asking me about it...I confessed to him that I wasn't much of an expert and hadn't really watched the show since Tom Baker played the role and he had a penchant for really long scarves. I then decided to pop to a guitar shop for a browse whilst I waited for a cheese based snack to cool down. 

Anyway, gonna try and sleep some more now, hopefully I will have more energy tomorrow and just getting out of bed won't feel like a struggle.

Just had my 3rd consecutive night of my body trying to sweat it out. It's a nasty reminder of the worst 2 months of my life, and I hope it soon ceases - I'm meant to be performing my own concert next Saturday...

Guest Col city fan

Fascinating to see how the country has effectively stopped worrying about covid

(I was in Wigston Tesco yesterday and there must have been literally 6/7 people including myself, wearing face-masks), yet the numbers of new infections last week was the biggest EVER since the start of the pandemic.

The govt has decided that the economy is more important and the population has followed suit.

I understand why, but to most it’s like covid has gone

The world is bizarre at the moment 

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

(I was in Wigston Tesco yesterday and there must have been literally 6/7 people including myself, wearing face-masks), yet the numbers of new infections last week was the biggest EVER since the start of the pandemic.

The govt has decided that the economy is more important and the population has followed suit.

Yep.

Though I have to say, a lack of rationality really isn't a new thing among humans.

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I too have noticed this just this morning. I was the only one in Aldi wearing a mask and felt a bit embarrassed!! But the world is bizarre. We are all hanging Ukrainian flags outside our windows and condemning Russia but then also supplying intelligence to Saudi to destroy Yemen to rubble. There’s countless more examples in this vein. Just accept it and keep wearing your mask! 

Guest Col city fan
7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just had my 3rd consecutive night of my body trying to sweat it out. It's a nasty reminder of the worst 2 months of my life, and I hope it soon ceases - I'm meant to be performing my own concert next Saturday...

2C643E52-E788-493A-8F05-1654CC891325.jpeg

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Hope you’re feeling well soon. Night sweats are horrible, I had a really bad cold about a year before Covid and was suffering them for about 3 months after, some nights they were so bad I had to sleep on a bath towel. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Flamey said:

Dreams like that I’d look forward to bed times. lol 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

In the first 3 weeks since all restrictions ended in England, there were 1,302 deaths caused by covid (England and Wales figures) and a further 722 with it as a secondary factor.  This is out of millions, probably over ten million, who had the disease.  This compares with 1,153 who died because of flu and pneumonia out of a much smaller number of cases.  That's why people aren't taking particular precautions - because the risk is seen as so tiny.  People no longer want to take more precautions agaist covid than they do against flu.

Yes, the economy is important to people.  How many delivery drivers, supermarket staff, workers who had no option but to go into work, have given up their jobs rather than sit at home and live off food banks?  Precious few, even when covid was far more serious.  People like money, they want to have some to spend now and they want to have some extra when they retire, and they are willing to accept a miniscule risk of dying in order to get the money.

For older people, it's a different issue.  They know (let's face facts) that their remainng time is limited.  The chances of someone aged over 80 dying in the next year is, roughly, 10% if they go about their normal business and risk catching covid.  If they take all possible precautions - which means literally all precautions, ie. meeting no-one and getting food delivered on the doorstep - they can reduce that risk to perhaps 9%.  It isn't worth it.  Unless and until their ambition is limited to keeping on breathing, then the risk is low enough that they might as well get out and live.

Excellent post.

43 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

In the first 3 weeks since all restrictions ended in England, there were 1,302 deaths caused by covid (England and Wales figures) and a further 722 with it as a secondary factor.  This is out of millions, probably over ten million, who had the disease.  This compares with 1,153 who died because of flu and pneumonia out of a much smaller number of cases.  That's why people aren't taking particular precautions - because the risk is seen as so tiny.  People no longer want to take more precautions agaist covid than they do against flu.

Yes, the economy is important to people.  How many delivery drivers, supermarket staff, workers who had no option but to go into work, have given up their jobs rather than sit at home and live off food banks?  Precious few, even when covid was far more serious.  People like money, they want to have some to spend now and they want to have some extra when they retire, and they are willing to accept a miniscule risk of dying in order to get the money.

For older people, it's a different issue.  They know (let's face facts) that their remainng time is limited.  The chances of someone aged over 80 dying in the next year is, roughly, 10% if they go about their normal business and risk catching covid.  If they take all possible precautions - which means literally all precautions, ie. meeting no-one and getting food delivered on the doorstep - they can reduce that risk to perhaps 9%.  It isn't worth it.  Unless and until their ambition is limited to keeping on breathing, then the risk is low enough that they might as well get out and live.

Woah talking sense! Please never post on Twitter otherwise you’ll ruin that platform for me. 

Tested positive last Saturday right in middle of a stag do with the wedding being 9 days away.  Surely a contender for Foxestalk's worst timing for a positive diagnosis award.  

Have been chuckling up phlegm- everyone I spoke to (virtually!) did not experience this symptom.  

Have anyone on here experienced this?

Edited by The Blur

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Fair post. I have just two observations.

Firstly, death, while obviously the worst possible outcome, perhaps isn't the only thing one should worry about regarding Covid.

Secondly, humans have seemingly always had a propensity to underestimate the risk posed by "natural" events as opposed to ones generated by their fellow man. That we're seemingly doing that with Covid (as well as with the other conditions one mentions) while the whole terrible Ukraine matter fills the broadsheets and airwaves is a matter of increased irrationality on the part of humans, not rationality.