Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Col city fan
18 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

In the first 3 weeks since all restrictions ended in England, there were 1,302 deaths caused by covid (England and Wales figures) and a further 722 with it as a secondary factor.  This is out of millions, probably over ten million, who had the disease.  This compares with 1,153 who died because of flu and pneumonia out of a much smaller number of cases.  That's why people aren't taking particular precautions - because the risk is seen as so tiny.  People no longer want to take more precautions agaist covid than they do against flu.

Yes, the economy is important to people.  How many delivery drivers, supermarket staff, workers who had no option but to go into work, have given up their jobs rather than sit at home and live off food banks?  Precious few, even when covid was far more serious.  People like money, they want to have some to spend now and they want to have some extra when they retire, and they are willing to accept a miniscule risk of dying in order to get the money.

For older people, it's a different issue.  They know (let's face facts) that their remainng time is limited.  The chances of someone aged over 80 dying in the next year is, roughly, 10% if they go about their normal business and risk catching covid.  If they take all possible precautions - which means literally all precautions, ie. meeting no-one and getting food delivered on the doorstep - they can reduce that risk to perhaps 9%.  It isn't worth it.  Unless and until their ambition is limited to keeping on breathing, then the risk is low enough that they might as well get out and live.

It’s interesting to see how many plus ones this post has received 

I think we need to be very careful

Infection rates are going up, not down. And yet I keep reading and hearing nonsense about ‘now the pandemic is over’

It isn’t over. We are actually in the thick of it

I read today that easi jet and BA have had to cancel tons of flights due to employees being off sick with covid. I know personally that the world of health and social care is still being hammered by covid 19

Wearing face masks helps. It cuts down infection rates and it protects the wearer a little 

Yet, the majority of people just aren’t bothering. 
In my opinion, this is lazy.. and the Govt is sending out completely the wrong message. 
The economy is not going to be helped whilst infection rates are still going up. 
And people CAN still do their bit by continuing to protect each other.

Unfortunately this is not happening in contemporary Britain.. a place where pull the ladder up Jack seems to epitomise modern society

59 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s interesting to see how many plus ones this post has received 

I think we need to be very careful

Infection rates are going up, not down. And yet I keep reading and hearing nonsense about ‘now the pandemic is over’

It isn’t over. We are actually in the thick of it

I read today that easi jet and BA have had to cancel tons of flights due to employees being off sick with covid. I know personally that the world of health and social care is still being hammered by covid 19

Wearing face masks helps. It cuts down infection rates and it protects the wearer a little 

Yet, the majority of people just aren’t bothering. 
In my opinion, this is lazy.. and the Govt is sending out completely the wrong message. 
The economy is not going to be helped whilst infection rates are still going up. 
And people CAN still do their bit by continuing to protect each other.

Unfortunately this is not happening in contemporary Britain.. a place where pull the ladder up Jack seems to epitomise modern society

You’re missing his point though. The risk has minimised considerably. Of course infections are going up and will go up as we open up again, but luckily that is not translating to OTT deaths is what Burnley is saying. Hey, who knew, vaccines work!! 

keep wearing your mask, sticking to speed limits when driving and being aware of others. A few lads not wearing a mask in Aldi isn’t the end of the world 

Edited by grobyfox1990

Guest Col city fan
14 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You’re missing his point though. The risk has minimised considerably. Of course infections are going up and will go up as we open up again, but luckily that is not translating to OTT deaths is what Burnley is saying. Hey, who knew, vaccines work!! 

keep wearing your mask, sticking to speed limits when driving and being aware of others. A few lads not wearing a mask in Aldi isn’t the end of the world 

And you’re completely missing mine too mate

If the argument is economics, and I understand why, it’s a very short sighted view to effectively ignore the virus. 
Yes, it might be making people less poorly. But they still have to go off work. And this is costing businesses and the Exchequer millions (? Billions)

Wear your face masks, keep being vigilant, look after each other

Its not happening anymore….

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If the argument is economics, and I understand why, it’s a very short sighted view to effectively ignore the virus. 
Yes, it might be making people less poorly. But they still have to go off work. And this is costing businesses and the Exchequer millions (? Billions)

Never agreed with you more Col. I think the govt is playing with our lives, as the rich do when they go to war.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yeh, tbf i actually am completely missing your point as i exist entirely within my own bubble. Since the Govt dropped all guidance to isolate when contracting the virus, i strongly strongly suspect people in my work having been working, attending client meetings, into the office etc when positive. We've had a wave of redundancies and budgets are drying up across the industry, people are worried everywhere and can't afford to stay at home if they've got a sniffle. I assumed everyone was doing that, but they aren't given how many people are off as you mention.

25 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Most who had the just 2 jabs efficacy has now waned? 

Plus the 100k NHS workers that didnt have any vaccines are not in their death beds, so maybe a case of a milder variant that Vaccine success at this current time.  

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Plus the 100k NHS workers that didnt have any vaccines are not in their death beds, so maybe a case of a milder variant that Vaccine success at this current time.  

You're probably right and even the boosters are waning now, i had mine in November. But remember this is a mild virus for most, so i dont think thats an argument against the vaccines, this country did a terrific job of rolling them out at speed thankfully.

Personally I somehow keep testing negative, even though as i mentioned above i strongly suspect i've been exposed to it at work loads and have been out/abroad A LOT this year. Could do with getting BA.2 and building my immunity/resistance for the emergence of future variants.

29 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Unnecessary pedancy 

Edited by FoxesDeb

Whilst antibodies will wane over time, the T cell immunity will not. even six months later, you would expect those with two jabs or a booster will not suffer to a severe level from omicron.  

however, without widespread pcr testing, we wont have a decent handle on any new strains. presumably we will rely on the europeans for info and then start looking amongst nhs staff who are still being checked by pcr if positive ??

My son tested positive on a LFT last Wednesday so has been off school.

Hes 8 and is fine apart from the usual stuff kids have.

My Mrs tested today before she went work and shes positive too!

It's her first time!

She works with vulnerable  adults so did the right thing and is teaching from home.

We are planned to fly out to Malta in 2 weeks.

My son needs a negative  PCR test prior to departure so we are fecked now as hes bound to test positive. The rest of us are all vaccinated  so we can all have covid but the vaccinated DONT need additional tests, just my 8 year old!

It's stupid!!!

I am wondering now if I had Covid last week. I had really bad cold symptoms, starting with a really bad sore throat, which later turned into laryngitis. Anyhow, main reason I am suspicious is I have been left with quite a weird acidic taste in my mouth, which after a bit of a googling seems to be consistent with covid. I took LFTs for five days, but they were all negative.

I carried on working from home (making use of chat function on zoom as I honestly couldn't get a word out at times), but would have struggled to get myself into work. 

12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I am wondering now if I had Covid last week. I had really bad cold symptoms, starting with a really bad sore throat, which later turned into laryngitis. Anyhow, main reason I am suspicious is I have been left with quite a weird acidic taste in my mouth, which after a bit of a googling seems to be consistent with covid. I took LFTs for five days, but they were all negative.

I carried on working from home (making use of chat function on zoom as I honestly couldn't get a word out at times), but would have struggled to get myself into work. 

Judging by my symptoms, I'd suggest you had laryngitis.

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Judging by my symptoms, I'd suggest you had laryngitis.

What makes you say that? Laryngitis surely comes from having some kind of upper respiratory infection - main question is whether that was caused by covid or the common cold. 

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

What makes you say that? Laryngitis surely comes from having some kind of upper respiratory infection - main question is whether that was caused by covid or the common cold. 

5 negative tests also tends to support the idea you were lucky. The people I know who've had covid have had a wide range of symptoms, none of which were laryngitis. I can certainly assure you mine is nothing like it anyway.

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

5 negative tests also tends to support the idea you were lucky. The people I know who've had covid have had a wide range of symptoms, none of which were laryngitis. I can certainly assure you mine is nothing like it anyway.

I didn't have laryngitis initially - I felt ill for 4 or 5 days before my voice became an issue. I guess it doesn't matter really! 

5 hours ago, Raj said:

My son tested positive on a LFT last Wednesday so has been off school.

Hes 8 and is fine apart from the usual stuff kids have.

My Mrs tested today before she went work and shes positive too!

It's her first time!

She works with vulnerable  adults so did the right thing and is teaching from home.

We are planned to fly out to Malta in 2 weeks.

My son needs a negative  PCR test prior to departure so we are fecked now as hes bound to test positive. The rest of us are all vaccinated  so we can all have covid but the vaccinated DONT need additional tests, just my 8 year old!

It's stupid!!!

You should get him a pcr asap on the basis that he has a positive lft. Then you’ll have an official ‘recovery’ in two weeks.  Anyone who has a + lft and may need to travel over the next few months should always get a pcr follow up. Otherwise they’ll potentially have a problem as you’ve illustrated 

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You should get him a pcr asap on the basis that he has a positive lft. Then you’ll have an official ‘recovery’ in two weeks.  Anyone who has a + lft and may need to travel over the next few months should always get a pcr follow up. Otherwise they’ll potentially have a problem as you’ve illustrated 

Luckily after an hour on the phone to 119 they added his LFT to his re words and after another hour on online chat go a private firm they said they would accept this to provide a certificate of the every which is what we need.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Yeh the proof of recovery is a great get out. As per my above post I could really do with getting BA.2 not only to build immunity but to get a proof of recovery certificate for the US. Saves the time, money and hassle of having to do a pre departure test every time. 

59 minutes ago, Raj said:

Luckily after an hour on the phone to 119 they added his LFT to his re words and after another hour on online chat go a private firm they said they would accept this to provide a certificate of the every which is what we need.

Malta used to require one dose of vaccine as well as proof of recovery, and not just the proof of recovery certificate, but I don't know if that's changed.