Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

32 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Yep, as mentioned no real rhyme or reason for my apprehension.

Both kids have had covid twice with very little issue.

Second paragraph probably why you're apprehensive. Why give a kid a vaccination they don't need? Highly unlikely vaccine causes any issues but isn't it right that covid problems v vaccine problems when you get young enough swings the other way? I'm not having my kids vaccinated. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rain King said:

Had the letter through today asking me to book to get my 11 year old vaccinated.

I have no issue with vaccinations, treble jabbed myself etc but I have some uncertainty about getting him jabbed and I can't really say why.

The thing about vaccinating children is that the benefits are negligible for the child because they are basically unaffected by covid, and negligible for the general population because being vaccinated doesn't stop anyone from catching and spreading the virus. So IMO there's no point. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm still testing strongly positive after 10 days - wondering if I have either a new variant or just a highly tenacious rendition.

Government advice is to stop testing after 10 days, as long as there are no more symptoms, because the results are meaningless. You're no longer infectious. 

That's the reason why the USA and others accept proof of recovery in lieu of a negative test. Because you can still get positive tests from the remains of the dead virus for some time after it has ceased to be dangerous. 

8 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I’m due to have an operation next month and I’ve got a letter today telling me I need to do a covid test 3 days before, will I need to isolate after this test until I have the operation? 

I don't know if it's a rule (and if it is, whether it's changed recently) but two people at my work have had operations recently and they both had to stay at home for a few days before their procedures

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The thing about vaccinating children is that the benefits are negligible for the child because they are basically unaffected by covid, and negligible for the general population because being vaccinated doesn't stop anyone from catching and spreading the virus. So IMO there's no point. 

Agree with this.  Looks like parents in Northern Ireland agree as well with only 2% taking up the offer in the first month.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-less-than-2-of-young-kids-in-ni-vaccinated-as-health-professor-warns-of-serious-long-covid-risk-41480995.html

Edited by Soup

10 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Yeh agree.  Mental that we’re vaccinating children whilst actual at risk groups in Africa still can’t get sight of a jab 

Guest Col city fan

The tories really have sent out the wrong message in terms of people just not being bothered anymore

Covid is all over the place. Far from us being ‘over the pandemic’ or other such nonsense, we are in the thick of it

And it’s only April 

Guest Col city fan
13 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I’m due to have an operation next month and I’ve got a letter today telling me I need to do a covid test 3 days before, will I need to isolate after this test until I have the operation? 

Which test? Pcr or lft?

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

The tories really have sent out the wrong message in terms of people just not being bothered anymore

Covid is all over the place. Far from us being ‘over the pandemic’ or other such nonsense, we are in the thick of it

And it’s only April 

The message being sent out is not that covid doesn't exist any more, but that (for fully vaccinated people who are not seriously ill or at death's door already) it is a generally trivial illness. I had it and needed a couple of days off work, even though working from home. My mother had it and felt rough enough to spend 4 afternoons in bed. But neither of us feel, even with hindsight, that the disease is serious enough to justify the actions that would have to be taken to stop us getting it. 

This is more infectious than the earlier variants, so action to stop its spread would have to be proportionally stronger. Why? The benefits of a repeat of lockdown would surely be outweighed by the costs. Do you have any practical suggestions what else we can do apart from suck it up? 

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

The message being sent out is not that covid doesn't exist any more, but that (for fully vaccinated people who are not seriously ill or at death's door already) it is a generally trivial illness. I had it and needed a couple of days off work, even though working from home. My mother had it and felt rough enough to spend 4 afternoons in bed. But neither of us feel, even with hindsight, that the disease is serious enough to justify the actions that would have to be taken to stop us getting it. 

This is more infectious than the earlier variants, so action to stop its spread would have to be proportionally stronger. Why? The benefits of a repeat of lockdown would surely be outweighed by the costs. Do you have any practical suggestions what else we can do apart from suck it up? 

Yes I’ve said before.

Wear your face masks and take some personal responsibility 

Again this week I’ve been in superstores and seen fook all people wearing them

They…..do…..help

I’m GENUINELY wondering whether people are hoping to catch it now?

Give themselves some legitimate time off work

Thats not good for the economy is it 

👍

Edited by Col city fan

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Yes I’ve said before.

They…..do…..help

👍

It really depends on the mask you and others are wearing. 

If we all return to wearing the single face cloth mask it probably won't have the desired effect of reducing a significant amount of airborne transmission and therefore lowering cases. Depending on the mask you're wearing, effective reduction in transmission can be as low as 20% (0). The N95 mask is way more effective than the single face cloth mask that most people were wearing and experts warned long ago the single face cloth mask may not be effective against Omicron (1) (2). Really, we should all be following CDC's latest guideline (3) and wearing NIOSH-approved respirators which offer the highest level of protection. 

The big problem of course, is supply. We would probably need a war time effort if we wanted the supply to meet demand for N95 Masks. But if we want to significantly reduce transmission, this would be a priority. Some countries such as the U.S however, have made steps in the right direction, offering free N95 masks to pharmacies and health centers (4). In order to circumnavigate the supply issue, we may see the development of a smart mask which some researchers are looking into (5) (6), that could potentially detect Sars Cov-2 through the wearers saliva. These smart masks may even be re-usable, which would greatly reduce the pollution levels of covid waste, which is another major issue. In 2021 the estimate was there is 25,900 tonnes of plastic covid waste (masks, etc) in the ocean (7)

Is wearing a cloth mask better than nothing? Yes. But will we see the required reduction in transmission levels if everyone is wearing the single face cloth mask? Unlikely. The required change in what face masks we wear will need to be a govt-led initiative, so good luck with that! (They probably wouldn’t follow their own rules anyway :P). 

👍

It’s better than the government continuing to borrow to fund furlough and increase our debt to GDP (8) leading to the decrease of 6.5% in SME employment during 2020-2021 (9) and of course many other issues.

We're now seeing the side effects of what such spending does to an economy. Economic recession (especially on a global scale) is probably inevitable now given the plethora of current and future crisis we’re having to deal with.

Just like Covid, economic crisis will cause an increase in deaths mainly from suicide, mortality rates, etc, especially if its more severe than 2008. But I guess there won't be a 'death by economic recession within 28 days' count on the news everyday so maybe people won't care as much. 

Sources:

(0)

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

(9)

Edited by foxes21
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Yes I’ve said before.

They…..do…..help

👍

When does your sick note expire? :P

Edited by Parafox

Yes I’ve said before.

They…..do…..help

👍

I’m hoping to catch it yeh. I won’t need any time off work (work from home) and the proof of recovery certificate would make travelling to the US a lot easier and cheaper for me 

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Yes I’ve said before.

They…..do…..help

👍

Are they effective in China?  Is lockdown effective in China?  It's not looking too promising over there.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
14 hours ago, foxes21 said:

It really depends on the mask you and others are wearing. 

If we all return to wearing the single face cloth mask it probably won't have the desired effect of reducing a significant amount of airborne transmission and therefore lowering cases. Depending on the mask you're wearing, effective reduction in transmission can be as low as 20% (0). The N95 mask is way more effective than the single face cloth mask that most people were wearing and experts warned long ago the single face cloth mask may not be effective against Omicron (1) (2). Really, we should all be following CDC's latest guideline (3) and wearing NIOSH-approved respirators which offer the highest level of protection. 

The big problem of course, is supply. We would probably need a war time effort if we wanted the supply to meet demand for N95 Masks. But if we want to significantly reduce transmission, this would be a priority. Some countries such as the U.S however, have made steps in the right direction, offering free N95 masks to pharmacies and health centers (4). In order to circumnavigate the supply issue, we may see the development of a smart mask which some researchers are looking into (5) (6), that could potentially detect Sars Cov-2 through the wearers saliva. These smart masks may even be re-usable, which would greatly reduce the pollution levels of covid waste, which is another major issue. In 2021 the estimate was there is 25,900 tonnes of plastic covid waste (masks, etc) in the ocean (7)

Is wearing a cloth mask better than nothing? Yes. But will we see the required reduction in transmission levels if everyone is wearing the single face cloth mask? Unlikely. The required change in what face masks we wear will need to be a govt-led initiative, so good luck with that! (They probably wouldn’t follow their own rules anyway :P). 

It’s better than the government continuing to borrow to fund furlough and increase our debt to GDP (8) leading to the decrease of 6.5% in SME employment during 2020-2021 (9) and of course many other issues.

We're now seeing the side effects of what such spending does to an economy. Economic recession (especially on a global scale) is probably inevitable now given the plethora of current and future crisis we’re having to deal with.

Just like Covid, economic crisis will cause an increase in deaths mainly from suicide, mortality rates, etc, especially if its more severe than 2008. But I guess there won't be a 'death by economic recession within 28 days' count on the news everyday so maybe people won't care as much. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sources:

(0)

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

(9)

Really well thought out post and one of the best I’ve read. 
My point mainly was about personal responsibility. Wearing face masks doesn’t mean you won’t catch covid, but the likelihood of you transmitting it to others reduces quite significantly 

I don’t know what this barmy Govt will do next but what I do know is that WE can take this very small step to help each other. Like sheep, it seems that most people have taken Governmental directives to equate to ‘just don’t bother’.

Think about it yourselves. What makes sense and what doesn’t? 
Great post matey 

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It was good to see this thread so low down this morning. Either people aren’t testing positive anymore or covid is such an insignificant experience for them now that it’s not worth posting about it on here. 

Lots of people still have it - but levels are encouragingly now starting to fall. I think much of it owes simply to the fact that we were so extraordinarily fortunate being dealt a less virulent strain. 

Just now, Line-X said:

Lots of people still have it - but levels are encouragingly now starting to fall. I think much of it owes simply to the fact that we were so extraordinarily fortunate being dealt a less virulent strain. 

I remember those first days when Omicron was first discovered in South Africa and some of the predictions were apocalyptic. If and it’s a big if, no other variant can beat Omicron for how fast it spreads then the pandemic phase is basically done. Worldwide deaths are as low as they’ve been since March 2020.