Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, Lionator said:

I remember those first days when Omicron was first discovered in South Africa and some of the predictions were apocalyptic. If and it’s a big if, no other variant can beat Omicron for how fast it spreads then the pandemic phase is basically done. Worldwide deaths are as low as they’ve been since March 2020. 

That's because we knew very little about it. The early real world studies showed that it was significantly less virulent, but much, much more contagious than Delta which proved to be the case. The fears were, that in spite of being milder, the sheer number of infections may overwhelm the hospitals and NHS Trusts. The government's 'wait and see strategy paid off, by luck more than design.

We were incredibly fortunate that the genetic dice rolled in favour of a less virulent variant and dealt us omicron. Yes, there is a strong possibility that as the dominant virus around the world this can be contained and perhaps through control elimination, completely contained. It will however never be eradicated and the possibility of a recombination event or the emergence of another variant of concern which is more dangerous, however unlikely it may seem is still one that is taken seriously by the field of virology.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

That's because we knew very little about it. The early real world studies showed that it was significantly less virulent, but much, much more contagious than Delta which proved to be the case. The fears were, that in spite of being milder, the sheer number of infections may overwhelm the hospitals and NHS Trusts. The government's 'wait and see strategy paid off, by luck more than design.

We were incredibly fortunate that the genetic dice rolled in favour of a less virulent variant and dealt us omicron. Yes, there is a strong possibility that as the dominant virus around the world this can be contained and perhaps through control elimination, completely contained. It will however never be eradicated and the possibility of a recombination event or the emergence of another variant of concern which is more dangerous, however unlikely it may seem is still one that is taken seriously by the field of virology.  

How are you finding things in hospitals now with covid (I couldn’t remember when you said you were walking away from it)? I read a lot online about blood clotting being the main issue with omicron, is that any different to previous variants or is it just more prominent because people aren’t having the severe respiratory issues that other variants gave? 

Just now, Lionator said:

How are you finding things in hospitals now with covid (I couldn’t remember when you said you were walking away from it)? I read a lot online about blood clotting being the main issue with omicron, is that any different to previous variants or is it just more prominent because people aren’t having the severe respiratory issues that other variants gave? 

You have confused me with @z-layrex

Omicron was more likely to infect the throat as opposed to the lung which is another reason that it was less serious.  

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

It was good to see this thread so low down this morning. Either people aren’t testing positive anymore or covid is such an insignificant experience for them now that it’s not worth posting about it on here. 

Got it again for the second time in 18 months. 

• Sad 1

On 09/04/2022 at 22:14, Legend_in_blue said:

Are they effective in China?  Is lockdown effective in China?  It's not looking too promising over there.

The Chinese are really going to struggle 

unless they are in the process of developing an effective mRNA vaccine and will relax their zero covid policy once they’ve got this and got all their over 50’s done, they will have to isolate themselves from the rest of the world. 

at the moment they have had much of shanghai locked down for three weeks and yet I believe there are still 20k plus cases a day (obvs will be way more) and their figures show no deaths in the Shanghai area ……..  at some point the population will surely protest ……. knowing that the rest of the world is living normally and they cannot …… omicron is so contagious that it’s only a matter of time before there are ‘shanghai’s’ all over the country …….

I've  Worked souless office jobs for 30 years and I'm alarmed at what the current  economy is doing to my pension..as a previous poster aluded to..this is damaging to my mental health as my pension represents having options to do something more creative with my time. 

To me personal health is largely a lottery and constantly trying to manage it robs people of the chance to enjoy life. I've got a history of respiratory illness and fairly confident if I wanted to I could identify as clinically vulnerable but it's the opposite of my outlook

I know this post will annoy some on here but there it is..I agree with government current stance on covid..lockdown has done more harm than good 

4 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I've  Worked souless office jobs for 30 years and I'm alarmed at what the current  economy is doing to my pension..as a previous poster aluded to..this is damaging to my mental health as my pension represents having options to do something more creative with my time. 

To me personal health is largely a lottery and constantly trying to manage it robs people of the chance to enjoy life. I've got a history of respiratory illness and fairly confident if I wanted to I could identify as clinically vulnerable but it's the opposite of my outlook

I know this post will annoy some on here but there it is..I agree with government current stance on covid..lockdown has done more harm than good 

There was a time and a place for lockdowns. To say I think the Tories are cvnts is an understatement but apart from the very start I think they got the balance right in terms of applying restrictions and removing them at the right time.

Hope they are now gone for good and we only go back to masks at a maximum.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

And how is it? 

24 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Sorry to hear that. How are you feeling? 

Not too bad. I honestly thought it was a cold at first. Felt tired quickly but I seem to have woken up feeling much better today (day 5). I'll do another test tomorrow to see if I'm clear. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 10:11, Adrian said:

Sounds to me like working for 30 years in soulless  office jobs has done more harm than good. 

• Haha 1

Not shouting at clouds so much but standing by my previous comments revisited by Milo who makes fair if slightly barbed comment by the way  but then laughed at by line-x which is an example of the type of logic fascism which I often come accross by line-x and others on here...and in the face of my honest personsl reflection on events seems unkind

....Im not a covid-denyer or anti-vaxer or staunch Tory but I do have some skepiticism about the onslaught of "science" that came with the pandemic and therefore some issues with the subsequent public policies

Line-x wants to paint that view as madness...well tough I'm not the only one who thinks that science logic does not  represents the absolute truth

Edited by Adrian
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Adrian said:

Not shouting at clouds so much but standing by my previous comments revisited by Milo who makes fair if slightly barbed comment by the way  but then laughed at by line-x which is an example of the type of logic fascism which I often come accross by line-x and others on here...and in the face of my honest personsl reflection on events seems unkind

....Im not a covid-denyer or anti-vaxer or staunch Tory but I do have some skepiticism about the onslaught of "science" that came with the pandemic and therefore some issues with the subsequent public policies

Line-x wants to paint that view as madness...well tough I'm not the only one who thinks that science logic does not  represents the absolute truth

With respect, when it comes to policy decisions based on science, often the recommendations of actual scientists and science advisors come pretty far down the list of priorities in determining what they are. I can back this up with sources if needed.

Could you elaborate a little more on what it is you want to happen in terms of policymaking on science matters?

No one likes to be belittled, obviously, but I'm not entirely sure if you're picking the right target here.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

2 years of carefully avoiding covid, go to mother-in-laws funeral. Get covid.

Ah well.  :dunno:

I tested positive yesterday after 2 years of avoiding it too. Hope you feel better soon. 

I got a bit of a cough and a bit achey. 

• Thanks 1