Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Need some ideas of what to put in a 'get well soon' package for a friend who's just tested positive for it despite having had jab 1. She's got a decent sense of humour so am thinking of putting an empty carton of milk in it to say "don't milk it".

Best wishes to her.

Ah 2 days left at school and the youngest lad bubble got sent home today 🙈 only has to self isolate until Friday midnight though as the child hasn’t been in since 30th. First time one of them has been sent home just a shame didn’t get to  finish his week. 

Edited by Md9

22 minutes ago, brucey said:

They should have a socially distanced photo op with a player if you have your jab - that would boost uptake

Edit - I posted this as a joke initially but I might actually work!

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/07/2021 at 20:40, Buce said:

I have a question: Is it possible to have a natural immunity to Covid? @z-layrex @Bryn

I ask because Mrs Buce has been exposed to it on numerous occasions at work (she works in elderly care) but has never tested positive.

I can't give you any specifics but yes I suspect its entirely possible certain people have variations in their immune system which makes them less susceptible to covid.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

I hope they see sense on Monday 

image.thumb.png.d9096b332926cedb5540e3e6e1859f38.png

one month ago

image.thumb.png.97c0c25727087ed7c3cbf4e62894bebb.png

numbers in Hospital now 2446 now one month ago 1054. the major change in the last month is the health secretary if it wasnt safe 1 month ago the atatistics doent show we are in better shape today.

So hospitalisations pretty much following cases …….they double and so do hospitalisations….. But as a proportion of infections it’s way down (from a low base) and it’s manageable 

they’re hoping that we can get through this wave during the summer months without over stressing the nhs and when any autumnal uptick properly kicks in, the virus will have hit a herd immunity wall ….. you could argue that more people catching it now helps that wall. Of course the mass real-time experiment with under 30’s and long covid which we are currently undertaking is the big unknown here……..

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How many daily cases would we need to reach, to have the same number of hospital admissions during the second wave peak? 

Simplistic numbers using 7-day averages:  Peak cases in winter reached 61k on 1st January, and peak hospitalisations 4,232 on 9th January.

The current latest reliable 7-day average is 361 hospitalisations on w/e 3rd July, and cases 8 days earlier were 19k.

Extrapolating that, to increase 361 to 4,232 would be to multiply by 11.72, which would mean multiplying 19k by that to get 225,000 cases per day approx. for the same hospitalisation rate.

Of course, when the school holidays start, the proportions might change again.

3 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

one month ago

numbers in Hospital now 2446 now one month ago 1054. the major change in the last month is the health secretary if it wasnt safe 1 month ago the atatistics doent show we are in better shape today.

So in 7 days the number has increased by 110. I wonder how many of that original 283 are still on a ventilator and how many have recovered and what proportion of the 393 are made up of new patients, or in other words are people recovering from covid or is it still as bad as ever.

image.thumb.png.aea3ba5c3f8f088aef6fe175e935016c.png

5 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

one month ago

It gets safer with every passing day that another 100-200k get a second jab.

While cases have increased 5 fold. People in hostpital has roughly doubled. People dying is rising even slower

Okay, the public outcry happened much sooner than I anticipated lol 

So stupid to still have test and trace isolating while allowing cases to explode lol

I reckon the 16th date will brought forwards to the 19th July and they'll say 1 jab for at least 2/3 weeks.

image.png.f9c05b375b328c388ade77f378d29607.png

Although number of cases is increasing significantly, it's the age of those becoming affected that has changed from the previous peak. In Oxford, numbers of cases have increased twelve fold in last month to 620 cases per 100,000 ie over 1000 new cases a week. However, 80% of these cases are in 18-29 age group, a figure it's reasonable to assume is similar nationwide. This explains the decoupling of link between cases and hospital admissions/ deaths as we know this age group are far less likely to be seriously affected - although long Covid is still a concern.(I don't think the consquences of long Covid, nor why it only affects some people, are sufficiently recognised by overnment. )Anecdotally, double jabbed people who have Covid are only mildly affected, with some only suffering cold like symptoms..

The increase in Covid numbers across the country, of whatever age group, raises possibility of a new variant which is concerning as this would increase risk of of vaccines not being effective. It does make sense, therefore, to offer a booster (tweaked to take account of known variants) along with the flu vaccine to try to reduce hospital admissions in winter.

21 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'd love to hear @Line-X's view on this... lol

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/08/facebook-posts/no-evidence-graphene-oxide-s-toxic-pfizer-covid-19/

https://factcheck.afp.com/only-small-percentage-all-blue-surgical-masks-contain-graphene

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.thegraphenecouncil.org/resource/resmgr/hse/Graphene_Face_Masks_Statemen.pdf

sorry but I stopped watching once the uri geller cutlery photos appeared ……..

probably best not to watch media  like this unless you’re a qualified scientist.  Anyone can make themselves look/sound important and stuff is made out to be factual when it simply isn’t.

• Like 2