Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I know you’re having your usual joke but what actually happens ?  People should understand the real risks before they go abroad ….not of catching covid but the problems they and their families could end up in ….

I absolutely fail to understand the mindset of anyone who goes abroad and either doesn't know the potential ramifications or whines about the impending cost and inconvenience.

People 'should' understand the real risks before they go abroad - far too many appear way too stupid to find this out for themselves.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Did he actually predict 200k or did he say it was possible ???

He said it was the worse case scenario. He fully supports the decision to relax restrictions on the 19th.

1 hour ago, Adrian said:

I don't think I'm a conspiracy theorist..I think I'm a critical thinker. 

lollollol Oh Jeez, where to start? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Taking a risk.....!!

Anybody who decides  to Take a Holiday abroad, must be aware of the risk....

that Anytime during their break, that Country could find itself in. >  Any Covid Alarm phase <

I will Never Undestand People who decide to Take that risk, then complain, when asked/told/forced into quarantine,or could be refused re-entry...

Whether Government Information is crap, or considered safe & excellent...The onus of "your/ones" decision is still in that individual/Family-Groups laps.

Even if W.wide governments have been crap in delivering  Covid-travel information..there is only One Platform of blame( if any) ,and that is that of the individual "Person on the street"

I thought and Believed that to be so last Summer, But even more so Now...

That said if People want to Take that risk,& leave it or give it a chance,...Why not..?

But afterwards Please Dont go crying to Mama...! ..

The only point, I believe should be a must...Holiday-companies/airlines/ Hotels-etc,  should automatically offer either >immediate< refunds or vouchers,

if due to Covid-Alarm-warnings being implemented, & customers cant travel, or Stay to Complete their Fully booked period...

Quite right. The whole point of a travel company is to sell a holiday, not a bit of a holiday, it’s up to them to get you there, ensure you enjoy yourself and get you back, if they can’t do that, the onus is on them to compensate through whatever means. If that means paying for a customer to off work, so be it. Flogging a holiday and neglecting their responsibilities is a bit scummy.

23 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

He can only predict the worst case scenario, anything else is impossible.

He isn't predicting anything of the sort - that's the point. It's pure conjecture. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Line-X said:

He isn't predicting anything of the sort - that's the point. It's pure conjecture. 

I’m not saying he did, I’m saying the only thing he can predict, much in the same way of what he actually said which was “ if cases hit 150000, 200000, a day etc.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’m not saying he did, I’m saying the only thing he can predict, much in the same way of what he actually said which was “ if cases hit 150000, 200000, a day etc.

Well yes - but does that even need to be said? 

43 minutes ago, Soup said:

What a depressing read this is. Our so called freedom day is just the end of the beginning :(

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-medical-analyst-life-hard-unvaccinated

Pretty disgusting approach if I'm honest especially considering these vaccines haven't been properly trialled.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Soup said:

What a depressing read this is. Our so called freedom day is just the end of the beginning :(

Sadly, as was said before, freedom works both ways: both for the individual and for society itself as a means of defending itself against individuals if necessary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I guess you'd have to follow the Covid isolating rules of whichever country you are in, and have sufficient travel insurance to cover it. I suppose this is why people are being advised not to travel for holidays. 

My children are due to fly here next week, and Spain has now stopped accepting the antigen test, it has to be a PCR, and it seems we might be returning to the red list soon. A bit of a joke, really, when the rate of infection is far higher in the UK than it is here. There's a much greater risk of them bringing it here than of them catching it here! 

Completely agree, it’s not as if we’ve eradicated Covid in the UK, it was the same last year, off the top of my head it was if a country had 20 cases per 100,000 any travellers had to quarantine for 2 weeks upon their return. (Which I did because I could) but the UK R rate was far higher at the time as it is now.

I realise it’s not up to the UK to prop up the economy of countries which rely heavily on tourism only it was desperate to see the locals struggling and confused by the UK Government’s travel policy.

I really hope you don’t find yourselves on the red list, it’ll be a bitter blow for many people of all nationalities.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Sadly, as was said before, freedom works both ways: both for the individual and for society itself as a means of defending itself against individuals if necessary.

For someone who often leads the charge against authoritarian regimes, you sometimes seem awfully quick to relinquish our freedoms.

Oppressing an entire demographic for the greater good sounds like something Trump might have approved of.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I've got to call out that gibberish, I'm afraid. That's the mantra of just about every despot that's ever ruled,  deciding on behalf of society  to defend itself against Jews or Intellectuals or Communists or Catholics or Yazidis etc

You are seemingly in this case wanting to criminalise nature. You are on a loser there, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soup said:

At this point, we haven’t seen a variant develop which evades vaccines

if we did then I could certainly understand that approach towards vaccinations. 

whilst we don’t then I can’t, on balance,  see how it’s justified.  

however, you could argue that we tax items that put pressure onto the health service like tobacco and alcohol 

we don’t tax food ………. overweight people will more likely need treatment for something as they grow older ….. however, if we had private healthcare for everyone then those who live a more ‘dangerous’ life would pay more.  

its tricky …..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark &#x27;expert&#x27; Lawrenson said:

Completely agree, it’s not as if we’ve eradicated Covid in the UK

It will never be possible to "eradicate" SARS-CoV-19 because it exists on more than one vector. It will be possible to drive it down and eliminate it in certain parts of the world, but it remains to be seen how well it establishes itself in a wild animal population. Several diseases that have been brought under control, including yellow fever, Ebola, and chikungunya virus, persist because of animal reservoirs. 

29 minutes ago, Buce said:

For someone who often leads the charge against authoritarian regimes, you sometimes seem awfully quick to relinquish our freedoms.

Oppressing an entire demographic for the greater good sounds like something Trump might have approved of.

The old deontological vs teleological chestnut. There should be a Godwin's law equivalent in recognition of the prevalence of this debate online. 

56 minutes ago, Buce said:

38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've got to call out that gibberish, I'm afraid. That's the mantra of just about every despot that's ever ruled,  deciding on behalf of society  to defend itself against Jews or Intellectuals or Communists or Catholics or Yazidis etc

You are seemingly in this case wanting to criminalise nature. You are on a loser there, I'm afraid.

Yep, I'm choosing a different tack to the one I usually take, and there is a reason for that. A small yet critical difference between this particular crisis and so many others. Allow me to expand.

The great dictators of history have abused power, the ones doing it now who should be challenged at every turn...the justification they most often used for it was the action of other humans, either in war or for some other invented reason. A reason that had no reason it exist at all beyond petty human tribalism. A situation that could easily be remedied without curtailing freedoms. But in this situation, the antagonist isn't another human, isn't something that could be negotiated with or befriended in order to make crisis never come about. It is a force of nature, unbound by what we might want of it and absolutely ignorant of us apart from how it might use us to propagate further. The only thing that will end it is its destruction.

As such, yes, I think differently in terms of the response to it.

And the same applies to other crises caused by nature, too. I'm not trying to "criminalise" nature, I'm trying to stop it turning us into a fossil record, because it can and will - easily - and it will sleep very well that night.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, I'm choosing a different tack to the one I usually take, and there is a reason for that. A small yet critical difference between this particular crisis and so many others. Allow me to expand.

The great dictators of history have abused power, the ones doing it now who should be challenged at every turn...the justification they most often used for it was the action of other humans, either in war or for some other invented reason. A reason that had no reason it exist at all beyond petty human tribalism. A situation that could easily be remedied without curtailing freedoms. But in this situation, the antagonist isn't another human, isn't something that could be negotiated with or befriended in order to make crisis never come about. It is a force of nature, unbound by what we might want of it and absolutely ignorant of us apart from how it might use us to propagate further. The only thing that will end it is its destruction.

As such, yes, I think differently in terms of the response to it.

And the same applies to other crises caused by nature, too. I'm not trying to "criminalise" nature, I'm trying to stop it turning us into a fossil record, because it can and will - easily - and it will sleep very well that night.

Worryingly, i think this crisis will assist future dictators hugely. The blueprint is there. Frighten the regular Joes....and they become almost entirely compliant. They will accept almost anything in return for personal safety. It was probably ever thus. (And then they came for me!...)

As for destroying Covid..Good luck. We haven't even destroyed the bubonic plague yet, 500 years or whatever later. 

Veering completely off piste, I wonder how the population would.split if given the choice to live in; 

a) southern England with zero restrictions, unlimited travel etc.... but no NHS cover for covid

b) northern England. Partial.lockdown, masks, vaccine passports, restricted travel, social.distsmcing ..but NHS care for Covid

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Worryingly, i think this crisis will assist future dictators hugely. The blueprint is there. Frighten the regular Joes....and they become almost entirely compliant. They will accept almost anything in return for personal safety. It was probably ever thus. (And then they came for me!...)

As for destroying Covid..Good luck. We haven't even destroyed the bubonic plague yet, 500 years or whatever later. 

Veering completely off piste, I wonder how the population would.split if given the choice to live in; 

a) southern England with zero restrictions, unlimited travel etc.... but no NHS cover for covid

b) northern England. Partial.lockdown, masks, vaccine passports, restricted travel, social.distsmcing ..but NHS care for Covid

That's the way I see it, and I also think it's much harder to fake a crisis caused by nature as a means of gathering control than one caused by other humans. Therefore, don't think that I haven't thought about the first line here because of course it's possible...however I believe that dictators will always take the easier option. Why not - it works, doesn't it?

I get the worry, honestly, I do - it's a totally legitimate concern. But I don't see any other way that plays out other than badly when it comes to such natural threats. And look at it this way: if we do underestimate such a threat and we get far more hats on the ground as a result, what kind of government would one then expect a panicky populace to elect to try to deal with it?

Destruction is probably the wrong word tbh, but to "win" we do need to to neutralise it to a degree that it poses no greater threat to humanity than any other easily transmissible virus.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It will never be possible to "eradicate" SARS-CoV-19 because it exists on more than one vector. It will be possible to drive it down and eliminate it in certain parts of the world, but it remains to be seen how well it establishes itself in a wild animal population. Several diseases that have been brought under control, including yellow fever, Ebola, and chikungunya virus, persist because of animal reservoirs. 

The old deontological vs teleological chestnut. There should be a Godwin's law equivalent in recognition of the prevalence of this debate online. 

That’s why I said what I did…. 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Can I have b in the south of France ?

Say if you get a text from the app saying you may have been exposed to COVID and must isolate, however you then take a test which is negative do you still need to isolate? I assume not. 

Edited by Unabomber

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Check in to enough places and you inevitably WILL get one of those notifications. Completely worthless application of technology and expenditure of, how many billions of pounds was it again?

I'm genuinely amazed for the amount of times I've checked in to somewhere I haven't been notified once... 

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Uninstall and reinstall the app (if you need it to check in somewhere again) and ignore the stupid thing.

If you visit a bar/cafe/restaurant at 10am, leave at 11am and then don't check in anywhere else that day, the app will assume you were there all day.

Therefore if someone with Covid went into the bar/cafe/restaurant at say 5pm, you'd get the notification that you were in close proximity to someone with Covid.

Check in to enough places and you inevitably WILL get one of those notifications. Completely worthless application of technology and expenditure of, how many billions of pounds was it again?

Or do what my mrs does, just pretend you're checking in.