Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Yeah I do that too. Some places insist on seeing a tick though.

I've never actually installed it myself, but what actually links the QR code to you, can you just have a phone with a pay as you go sim, install the app and that's it for being ablie to get into places yet remain anonymous?

55 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I've never actually installed it myself, but what actually links the QR code to you, can you just have a phone with a pay as you go sim, install the app and that's it for being ablie to get into places yet remain anonymous?

Absolutely nothing as far as I'm aware. I dont recall entering any details when downloading the app.

Like he says, you can just uninstall and reinstall the app and it'll be a fresh copy

12 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Uninstall and reinstall the app (if you need it to check in somewhere again) and ignore the stupid thing.

If you visit a bar/cafe/restaurant at 10am, leave at 11am and then don't check in anywhere else that day, the app will assume you were there all day.

Therefore if someone with Covid went into the bar/cafe/restaurant at say 5pm, you'd get the notification that you were in close proximity to someone with Covid.

Check in to enough places and you inevitably WILL get one of those notifications. Completely worthless application of technology and expenditure of, how many billions of pounds was it again?

Utter lunacy that there is no checkout system within the app.

Got flagged by it a couple of days ago, I’ll stick to it because I can easy enough. But I know I wasn’t exposed to anything, 100% someone has gone to the same place hours later.

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I see the Dutch have reimposed restrictions after getting rid of them. Cases went up 8x in a week!

Boris already backtracking. Can’t see this “freedom” lasting long.

I can't either. Maybe I was being niave, but I can't get over how we are in such a worse position this summer, despite the vaccine rollout. 

49 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I can't either. Maybe I was being niave, but I can't get over how we are in such a worse position this summer, despite the vaccine rollout. 

Last year, from 14th June 2020 to 12th July 2020, we had approximately 14,000 confirmed cases; this year, 14th June 2021 to 12th July 2021, 581,824 confirmed cases.  That's why the mass panic and doom and destruction.

Last year frm those dates, there were 1,479 deaths.  This year, 524 deaths.  That's why the mass panic and doom and destruction is overblown.

(The reason the number of cases last year is approximate, is because there was a sudden drop in late June and the cumulative number of confirmed cases as at July was officially less than it was in June.  They perhaps weren't very good at conting.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Last year, from 14th June 2020 to 12th July 2020, we had approximately 14,000 confirmed cases; this year, 14th June 2021 to 12th July 2021, 581,824 confirmed cases.  That's why the mass panic and doom and destruction.

Last year frm those dates, there were 1,479 deaths.  This year, 524 deaths.  That's why the mass panic and doom and destruction is overblown.

(The reason the number of cases last year is approximate, is because there was a sudden drop in late June and the cumulative number of confirmed cases as at July was officially less than it was in June.  They perhaps weren't very good at conting.)

I'm honestly so intrigued to see how well the vaccine performs against this wave of infections, as is most of the world I'm sure.

So I just looked, roughly 3 weeks ago we had around 10k thousand cases a day. Currently we're averaging around 30 deaths a day. Which would make the death rate around 0.03% for every registered infection.

So if we use that, you'd expect around 300 deaths a day if there are 100k registered cases in the previous 3 weeks. Very interested to see if that admitedly rough percentage increases, decreases or stays around the same level during the course of this wave.

12 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Do you not believe that the vaccines work then? 

I believe they are doing what we hoped they would, which is for a very large proportion it will stop people getting seriously ill. My worry isn't so much the death rates (although of course for many with underlying health conditions this is of understanding concern), it's more the inevitable measures we are going to have to take to keep transmission rates down to a manageable level - basically the issue with the Delta variant and how contagious it is. If the cases continue as they are over the summer, where are we going to be in the autumn when schools and unis go back? I also have concern for NHS workers and how much longer they can withhold this sustained pressure, and for school kids who are inevitably going to miss more lessons and fall further and further behind. 

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I believe they are doing what we hoped they would, which is for a very large proportion it will stop people getting seriously ill. My worry isn't so much the death rates (although of course for many with underlying health conditions this is of understanding concern), it's more the inevitable measures we are going to have to take to keep transmission rates down to a manageable level - basically the issue with the Delta variant and how contagious it is. If the cases continue as they are over the summer, where are we going to be in the autumn when schools and unis go back? I also have concern for NHS workers and how much longer they can withhold this sustained pressure, and for school kids who are inevitably going to miss more lessons and fall further and further behind. 

Hmm fair enough, but overall I wouldn't say we're in a worse position than we were last summer. 

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Can't argue those figures but now run a comparison of numbers of people tested.  The difference is alarming.

I'm expecting a drop off once schools close for the summer next week.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Does there ever come a point when children's education gets on the priority list?  They're already talking about giving children a very limited syllabus for next year's exams (telling them what the questions are, in effect) because they won't have time to teach them everything.  They've already lost or had severely impacted, 4+ terms.  What is the alternative to letting people catch delta coronavirus?  We can't stop it circulating because we aren't going to vaccinate children.  Vaccination is only a hindrance to the virus, not a stopper, so even total vaccination doesn't stop it.  If we are still talking about closing schools and universities for next year because delta coronavirus is still circulating, then we will be talking about it the year after and the year after that and forever

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 2

So this pretty much proves it was man made and came from a lab, how intentional was it though is the question.

Deleted coronavirus sequences trigger scientific intrigue

A biologist in the United States has ‘excavated’ partial SARS‑CoV-2 genome sequences from the beginnings of the pandemic’s probable epicentre in Wuhan, China, that were deposited — but later removed — from a US government database.

The sequences address an evolutionary conundrum about the early genetic diversity of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

Jesse Bloom, a viral evolutionary geneticist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington, discovered the sequences after searching for genomic data from the pandemic’s early stages. A research paper from May 2020 contained a table of publicly available sequence data, which included entries Bloom had not come across. He worked out that the data had been removed from the Sequence Read Archive (SRA), a US repository for raw sequencing data.

Bloom was able to find archived versions of the sequences on cloud servers, recovering data from 50 samples, 13 of which contained enough raw data to generate partial genome sequences (J. D. Bloom Preprint at bioRxiv, https://doi.org/gksfmv1; 2021).

The recovered data help to solve an evolutionary mystery about the early stages of the pandemic. The earliest viral sequences from Wuhan are from people linked to the city’s Huanan Seafood Market in December 2019, which was initially thought to be where the coronavirus first jumped from animals to people. But the seafood-market sequences are more distantly related to SARS-CoV-2’s closest relatives in bats — the most likely ultimate origin of the virus — than are later sequences.

That is surprising, says Bloom, because you would expect that viruses from the early stages of Wuhan’s epidemic would be most closely related to SARS‑CoV-2’s relatives that infect bats. The recovered sequences, which were probably collected in January and February 2020, show this to be the case — they are more closely related to the bat viruses than are the sequences from people linked to the seafood market.

This adds to a growing body of evidence that the first human cases of COVID-19 were not associated with the Huanan Seafood Market.

It remains unclear why the sequences were removed from the SRA.

Nature 595, 13 (2021)

doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-01748-8

Guest Bert Fill
37 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What is the alternative to letting people catch delta coronavirus?

Er, vaccination?

Alongside things like masks, social distancing, working from home, not letting 60000 people into Wembley until we’ve at least finished vaccinating…

38 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

We can't stop it circulating because we aren't going to vaccinate children.

Why not? Seems to work for polio, measles, meningitis…

Guest Bert Fill
36 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

So this pretty much proves it was man made and came from a lab

If by ‘proves it was man made and came from a lab’ you mean ‘suggests it may not have come from the seafood market’ then yes it does.

42 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

So this pretty much proves it was man made and came from a lab, how intentional was it though is the question.

Deleted coronavirus sequences trigger scientific intrigue

A biologist in the United States has ‘excavated’ partial SARS‑CoV-2 genome sequences from the beginnings of the pandemic’s probable epicentre in Wuhan, China, that were deposited — but later removed — from a US government database.

The sequences address an evolutionary conundrum about the early genetic diversity of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

Jesse Bloom, a viral evolutionary geneticist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington, discovered the sequences after searching for genomic data from the pandemic’s early stages. A research paper from May 2020 contained a table of publicly available sequence data, which included entries Bloom had not come across. He worked out that the data had been removed from the Sequence Read Archive (SRA), a US repository for raw sequencing data.

Bloom was able to find archived versions of the sequences on cloud servers, recovering data from 50 samples, 13 of which contained enough raw data to generate partial genome sequences (J. D. Bloom Preprint at bioRxiv, https://doi.org/gksfmv1; 2021).

The recovered data help to solve an evolutionary mystery about the early stages of the pandemic. The earliest viral sequences from Wuhan are from people linked to the city’s Huanan Seafood Market in December 2019, which was initially thought to be where the coronavirus first jumped from animals to people. But the seafood-market sequences are more distantly related to SARS-CoV-2’s closest relatives in bats — the most likely ultimate origin of the virus — than are later sequences.

That is surprising, says Bloom, because you would expect that viruses from the early stages of Wuhan’s epidemic would be most closely related to SARS‑CoV-2’s relatives that infect bats. The recovered sequences, which were probably collected in January and February 2020, show this to be the case — they are more closely related to the bat viruses than are the sequences from people linked to the seafood market.

This adds to a growing body of evidence that the first human cases of COVID-19 were not associated with the Huanan Seafood Market.

It remains unclear why the sequences were removed from the SRA.

Nature 595, 13 (2021)

doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-01748-8

The yanks are doing their own fbi assessment and they will have no need to protect the Chinese 

this will all come out in the end - fwiw, I don’t think there will be conclusive proof either way. We only found the bat virus reservoir responsible for sars more than a decade after the virus first appeared.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Er, vaccination?

Alongside things like masks, social distancing, working from home, not letting 60000 people into Wembley until we’ve at least finished vaccinating…

The value of vaccinations has to be proven (this is obvious with the conditions you listed). 

I doubt this will be the case with children for some considerable time until any link to long covid have been assessed. 

21 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Uninstall and reinstall the app (if you need it to check in somewhere again) and ignore the stupid thing.

If you visit a bar/cafe/restaurant at 10am, leave at 11am and then don't check in anywhere else that day, the app will assume you were there all day.

Therefore if someone with Covid went into the bar/cafe/restaurant at say 5pm, you'd get the notification that you were in close proximity to someone with Covid.

Check in to enough places and you inevitably WILL get one of those notifications. Completely worthless application of technology and expenditure of, how many billions of pounds was it again?

There is also no legal requirement to isolate if the notification came from the app.

• Like 1

The most logical explanation for me would be that the virus has escaped from the Institute of Virology and then in a panic they've tried to wipe any proof and hope for the best.

Also logically it doesn't make sense to me that it would have been done on purpose. If it was released maliciously then I imagine it would be released in somewhere a little less obvious and possibly not in China at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

Er, vaccination?

The reason they won't vaccinate children is because vaccinating children will kill more children than it will save.  I don't know if those vaccinations you mention ever kill anyone, but if they do it's certainly far less than they save.  I understand that the AstraZeneca vaccine has killed 7 people in this country; that is more than the number of under-10 year old children who have died of or with coronavirus.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The reason they won't vaccinate children is because vaccinating children will kill more children than it will save.  I don't know if those vaccinations you mention ever kill anyone, but if they do it's certainly far less than they save.  I understand that the AstraZeneca vaccine has killed 7 people in this country; that is more than the number of under-10 year old children who have died of or with coronavirus.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency have approved the Pfizer vaccine for use in those aged 12+, Joint Committee on Vaccination is advising the government on next steps.

It not off the cards children will be vaccinated.

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I find that really hard to believe, I know of 4 people in Leicester that died from the AZ so only 3 more for the rest of the country and the >66.6 million people I don’t know sounds staggeringly unlikely. 

Edited by danny.