Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Oh slightly off topic.

Had my first experience of someone walking around without a mask and getting angry with the security guard because he followed him and asked him to wear a mask.

Highlights were of him shouting "i'm extent, i'm extent" and claiming discimination. He finally bought his fags, obviously no trouble with his lungs or anxiety if he is happy to have a loud argument in front of a crowd of people. Just some white trash that likes making a show, bet he had a good laugh with his mates about it after. 

Edited by filbertway

4 minutes ago, danny. said:

I find that really hard to believe, I know of 4 people in Leicester that died from the AZ so only 3 more for the rest of the country and the >66.6 million people I don’t know sounds staggeringly unlikely. 

I was going to post similar, there's no way that number can be true 

15 minutes ago, danny. said:

I find that really hard to believe, I know of 4 people in Leicester that died from the AZ so only 3 more for the rest of the country and the >66.6 million people I don’t know sounds staggeringly unlikely. 

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I was going to post similar, there's no way that number can be true 

I saw a BBC article two weeks ago which quoted 68 deaths attributed to the AZ vaccine and 1 death attributed to the Pfizer in the UK, so definitely not the correct number. 

Mixed messages again - freedom next week but according to the Independent headline on the front page it says vulnerable people will be asked to stay away from those not doubled vaccinated (adminttly most of the adults in this country are or will be soon) 

Don't think this guy thought much of the cleaning going on or the pandemic itself.

43 minutes ago, danny. said:

Fair enough.  I am sure I saw quoted (but can't find the link) a figure of 7 deaths caused by this specific low-platelets thing that means it is reserved for over-40s.  I dare say the vaccine may bring about other causes of death exist too.

It's one of the mysteries of life - doing the right thing doesn't always bring the right result.  Two coastguards a few years back drove over a cliff (accidentally!) in their Land Rover.  The driver was wearing a seat belt, the passenger wasn't.  The cab landed on the passenger side which was utterly crushed, but the driver's side remained intact, and the driver was (sensibly) wearing his seat belt, so survived.  The passenger (foolishly) was not wearing his seat belt, and because of his foolishness, he was thrown from the cab, landed on a friendly bit of cliff, and avoided being crushed on landing - he survived too.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

The most logical explanation for me would be that the virus has escaped from the Institute of Virology and then in a panic they've tried to wipe any proof and hope for the best.

Also logically it doesn't make sense to me that it would have been done on purpose. If it was released maliciously then I imagine it would be released in somewhere a little less obvious and possibly not in China at all.

Cause it has, there must be fairly short odds of a virus that is carried by bats starting in a city where there is an institute of virolagy that studies viruses in bats. What i find a little disturbing is the military connections that were removed from their names registar around the time this all kicked off, why would you do that?

43 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Mixed messages again - freedom next week but according to the Independent headline on the front page it says vulnerable people will be asked to stay away from those not doubled vaccinated (adminttly most of the adults in this country are or will be soon) 

Don't think this guy thought much of the cleaning going on or the pandemic itself.

Extremely vulnerable people, which is a little bit different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

The most logical explanation for me would be that the virus has escaped from the Institute of Virology and then in a panic they've tried to wipe any proof and hope for the best.

Also logically it doesn't make sense to me that it would have been done on purpose. If it was released maliciously then I imagine it would be released in somewhere a little less obvious and possibly not in China at all.

How could you get something like that wrong though, they are in a lab this sort of thing shouldn't happen

3 hours ago, GlennyFox55 said:

I saw a BBC article two weeks ago which quoted 68 deaths attributed to the AZ vaccine and 1 death attributed to the Pfizer in the UK, so definitely not the correct number. 

Extrapolating, even that sounds super low.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Ibiza, Majorca and Menorca going back on the amber list tomorrow apparently according to The Sunlol I've got a mate who's flying out to Magaluf tomorrow morning :huh:

The Spanish cases yesterday were nuts at 43k.  @FoxesDeb  what’s behind that number ?  Surely some old data being added in ?   Mind you, it looks like the Balearics have shot up since they allowed the brits to go there !  My daughter says nearly all her friends who have gone there have come back with it. I hope their vaccine program is well advanced ……

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The Spanish cases yesterday were nuts at 43k.  @FoxesDeb  what’s behind that number ?  Surely some old data being added in ?   Mind you, it looks like the Balearics have shot up since they allowed the brits to go there !  My daughter says nearly all her friends who have gone there have come back with it. I hope their vaccine program is well advanced ……

Yep, it looks like we're heading into the fifth wave over here. It seems to be running rampant through the under 30's, they mostly haven't been vaccinated yet and everything is pretty much open here now. Nightclubs have now been open for a few weeks and tourists have been allowed to arrive without tests. 

Some regions are introducing restrictions again already, but the central government isn't keen on going back into the state of alarm, presumably wanting to keep the tourism going. Thankfully though the numbers of people getting really ill seem to be fairly low at the moment, I suppose the problem will be if the cases reach the older people who still aren't fully vaccinated. 

16 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Clearly a private company doing some promo pictures. FFS these people are mentally ill.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

How could you get something like that wrong though, they are in a lab this sort of thing shouldn't happen

It's not difficult in all honesty, one slight mistake and this can happen. 

We've had it many a time over here with things such as smallpox etc. 

It's going to be very interesting after the 19th what proportion of people will still voluntarily wear masks. I think both sides of the argument have been convinced by their echo chambers that they are the upstanding majority, and the other side of the coin are the minority, it'll be interesting to see who is proved right. I don't think I'll be wearing one in the shops unless it's absolutely rammed, and I won't be in the pubs. I get taxis round town quite a lot and I'll probably wear one in them. My gym hasn't enforced masks at all, which makes sense as obviously the risk in somewhere like a gym is the numerous touch points rather than being breathed on by someone else. Those areas probably account for 99.9% of my time. 

46 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's going to be very interesting after the 19th what proportion of people will still voluntarily wear masks. I think both sides of the argument have been convinced by their echo chambers that they are the upstanding majority, and the other side of the coin are the minority, it'll be interesting to see who is proved right. I don't think I'll be wearing one in the shops unless it's absolutely rammed, and I won't be in the pubs. I get taxis round town quite a lot and I'll probably wear one in them. My gym hasn't enforced masks at all, which makes sense as obviously the risk in somewhere like a gym is the numerous touch points rather than being breathed on by someone else. Those areas probably account for 99.9% of my time. 

Proved right? I don't understand what you mean. That continuing to wear a mask in certain environments and circumstances is prudent, impossible to argue against and unequivocal - just as there are many situations in which it will no longer be necessary. There is no "echo-chamber" perpetuating the notion that a properly fitted face covering can reduce the spread of aerosols and droplets - only known and understood science. 

If the case rate continues to rise it won't simply be because some members of society have chosen not to wear masks after the 19th - and similarly, if it levels out or drops, it won't necessarily be because many have or vindicate not wearing them. Facemasks are a precautionary and in some cases, a preventative measure, but one of many. Infection and its spread is very complex and subject to many variables. 

Unfortunately, unlike you, I anticipate that most of the British public will dispense with them across the board, whilst those that elect to continue to use them will be pilloried and stigmatised by the scientifically illiterate. 

As I said previously, aside from coronavirus, wearing an N95 respirator while cycling or exercising in an urban environment is a no brainer. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Proved right? I don't understand what you mean. That continuing to wear a mask in certain environments and circumstances is prudent, impossible to argue against and unequivocal - just as there are many situations in which it will no longer be necessary. There is no "echo-chamber" perpetuating the notion that a properly fitted face covering can reduce the spread of aerosols and droplets - only known and understood science. 

If the case rate continues to rise it won't simply be because some members of society have chosen not to wear masks after the 19th - and similarly, if it levels out or drops, it won't necessarily be because many have or vindicate not wearing them. Facemasks are a precautionary and in some cases, a preventative measure, but one of many. Infection and its spread is very complex and subject to many variables. 

Unfortunately, unlike you, I anticipate that most of the British public will dispense with them across the board, whilst those that elect to continue to use them will be pilloried and stigmatised by the scientifically illiterate. 

As I said previously, aside from coronavirus, wearing an N95 respirator while cycling or exercising in an urban environment is a no brainer. 

Proved right that they are in the majority. My post never once mentioned the benefits of wearing a mask or not. I was just saying it'll be interesting to see what proportions do and don't, seeing as everyone seems to think they're in the majority. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

I went to Leeds this last weekend and the amount not wearing masks was really annoying. Majority were people between 18 - 30 not wearing them in shops etc. Just annoying cos by wearing it you are protecting others. It seems so selfish and the arrogance of them pissed me off, almost asking to be questioned. Low and behold I tested positive today after trying to me careful myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Proved right that they are in the majority. My post never once mentioned the benefits of wearing a mask or not. I was just saying it'll be interesting to see what proportions do and don't, seeing as everyone seems to think they're in the majority. 

??? I know that your post "never mentioned the benefits of wearing a mask or not" and I never suggested that it did. It id however say this

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think both sides of the argument have been convinced by their echo chambers 

and this...

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

it'll be interesting to see who is proved right. 

I simply didn't understand what you meant.

I also don't understand why this thread and increasingly society in general always looks to divide and polarise. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I went to Leeds this last weekend and the amount not wearing masks was really annoying. Majority were people between 18 - 30 not wearing them in shops etc. Just annoying cos by wearing it you are protecting others. It seems so selfish and the arrogance of them pissed me off, almost asking to be questioned. Low and behold I tested positive today after trying to me careful myself. 

Hope you're alright mate. Some genuinely dumb idiots out there.

I had my second jab yesterday. Feel horrific today, have heard this might linger for a week or so. Really hope not.

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

I had my second jab yesterday. Feel horrific today, have heard this might linger for a week or so. Really hope not.

I knew I had it cos spent Monday night either boiling or freezing. Just general flu like symptoms. Don’t feel too bad now just have a headache and am very cold/tired. Fortunately I had my first jab recently.

17 minutes ago, Line-X said:

??? I know that your post "never mentioned the benefits of wearing a mask or not" and I never suggested that it did. It id however say this

and this...

I simply didn't understand what you meant.

I also don't understand why this thread and increasingly society in general always looks to divide and polarise. 

I think you're trying to read too much into what I wrote. Just forget I said anything. 

16 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

What did you have if you don't mind me asking? I have my second Pfizer next weekend and I'm not looking forward to it.