Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Ah, good, now we're on topic! Good, I thought I'd have to go ad hominem and mention in this particular matter trusting the viewpoint of someone with a scientific background as opposed to an apologist for a convicted genocidal war criminal, now deceased- ah, bugger. Never mind.

Anyway:

As a counterpoint to the above, I would raise the point that death is not the only Covid outcome that would put strain on societal resources, that people getting sick with Covid and ending up needing treatment is going to block people getting treatments for cancers and other illnesses that will kill them (it's already done so, something you can look up there) and therefore limiting transmission by using masks will end up saving more lives, and costing next to nothing by comparison. Additionally:

This is salient.

It's awful that folks stopped to abuse you without getting the lay of the land, but an eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Woah woah woah 😹😹😹 so you are claiming that increased Covid hospitalisations will mean reduced treatment for cancers and other illnesses? The greatest contradiction of all time. Tens to hundreds of thousands have needlessly died because of this already, because of a mismanagement in the NHS equilibrium. This has nothing to do with Covid cases/hospitalisations. 

I thought you’d have no counter arguments. No response to my OP. Are you Neil O Brien MP in disguise?

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
12 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

There are solutions that might help fewer people from falling down the stairs and dying, for example, all future housing to be bungalows, or to stop people from dying in car accidents, for example banning vehicles. What do you think?

What do I think? Well for starters I think you don’t give a monkey’s cuss about anyone but you.

I also think that the fact that you reckon asking people to show a bit of consideration for others in the midst of a pandemic is equivalent to ‘banning vehicles’ to prevent car accidents says quite a lot about you.

I’d ask you what you think. But I reckon you’ve already made it pretty clear, tbh.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Second Astra' knocked me out for a week. 

Seriously concerned about the prospect of regular boosters.

My wife, sister and father all had their second doses of AZ last week with no ill effects at all.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Father Ted said:

Woah woah woah 😹😹😹 so you are claiming that increased Covid hospitalisations will mean reduced treatment for cancers and other illnesses? The greatest contradiction of all time. Tens to hundreds of thousands have needlessly died because of this already, because of a mismanagement in the NHS equilibrium. This has nothing to do with Covid cases/hospitalisations. 

I thought you’d have no counter arguments. No response to my OP. Are you Neil O Brien MP in disguise?

If close to a quarter of NHS beds are occupied by people with Covid, as was the case in January, by definition there is less space, and fewer staff, to deal with other medical issues. Around the country right now hospitals are cancelling elective surgeries as they re-open Covid warns. This is obvious I think

Just now, Bert Fill said:

What do I think? Well for starters I think you don’t give a monkey’s cuss about anyone but you.

I also think that the fact that you reckon asking people to show a bit of consideration for others in the midst of a pandemic is equivalent to ‘banning vehicles’ to prevent car accidents says quite a lot about you.

I’d ask you what you think. But I reckon you’ve already made it pretty clear, tbh.

In the famous words of Nigel Pearson “is your head buried in the sand, are you an ostrich?”. You have delusions of grandeur, going to foxestalk, The Guardian and the BBC for you daily dose of FUD. 

Guest Bert Fill
20 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I’ve had a year of vile and disgusting abuse thrown at me, despite having a hidden disabilities card. I will be giving volleys and volleys of abuse back.

To the people who abused you? Which would be understandable, if probably not massively productive.

Or just to anyone wearing a mask? Which would not be particularly cool. All the more so as their main reason for wearing one is probably to do their little bit to try and protect people they encounter.

Guest Bert Fill
3 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

In the famous words of Nigel Pearson “is your head buried in the sand, are you an ostrich?”. You have delusions of grandeur, going to foxestalk, The Guardian and the BBC for you daily dose of FUD. 

a) No, and no.

b) Delusions of grandeur? Are you just coming out with random insults? I have no doubt there are many criticisms my post may deserve, but I struggle to see how ‘delusions of grandeur’ is one of them.

c) What’s FUD?

Guest Bert Fill
9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Agreed, that's not necessarily for the best of the country and it's inhabitants though. 

I reckon asking people to pop on a face mask and try to keep a reasonable distance isn’t too onerous.

2 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

I reckon asking people to pop on a face mask and try to keep a reasonable distance isn’t too onerous.

It is for the hospitality and arts industries among others.

I think a fair compromise for the time being while cases continue to climb would be for masks to be mandatory in shops and on public transport (you could even have mask only carriages on trains seeing as they're seperate). Whereas if you're going somewhere purely for leisure, then leave it up to the business themselves to decide.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

This:

23 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

If close to a quarter of NHS beds are occupied by people with Covid, as was the case in January, by definition there is less space, and fewer staff, to deal with other medical issues. Around the country right now hospitals are cancelling elective surgeries as they re-open Covid warns. This is obvious I think

12 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It is for the hospitality and arts industries among others.

I think a fair compromise for the time being while cases continue to climb would be for masks to be mandatory in shops and on public transport (you could even have mask only carriages on trains seeing as they're seperate). Whereas if you're going somewhere purely for leisure, then leave it up to the business themselves to decide.

This is fair tbh.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Second Astra' knocked me out for a week. 

Seriously concerned about the prospect of regular boosters.

All good now, first one took about three days to get over, this one a week. Others I know felt fine, so it’s a very individual thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Do you really think that somebody who walks past you in a supermarket is going to catch Covid, mask or no mask? Honestly. How many supermarkets have closed down from Covid outbreaks? How many shop assistants do you see not wearing masks? Go into Oadby Asda, be lucky to see one. 

I don’t suppose much detailed research has been done on this ……before the delta variant I would have pretty much agreed it was unlikely (unless someone coughed or sneezed over you) but it does now seem to be way more transmissible judging on how quickly cases are going upwards ….

I don’t think it’s onerous to ask people to wear a mask and it will be interesting to see if any supermarket chains make their own call on this next week 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Father Ted said:

You really do stink this group out Mr Doom and Gloom. If you wish to wear a mask, you go ahead, but expect to be berated by people like me who aren’t mentally inept at deciding how to live our lives with freedom. Sad.

Is this satire?...only it's increasingly hard to tell. 

I simply commented that there are certain situations and environments in which wearing a face covering would be prudent, that's all. Particularly around the vulnerable and unprotected. 

And aside from SARS-CoV-19, exercising in an urban environment would be one of them. 

Why would you berate anyone for that? 

If you wish to breath in pollution and particulate matter then you are indeed at liberty to do so. 

45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t suppose much detailed research has been done on this ……before the delta variant I would have pretty much agreed it was unlikely (unless someone coughed or sneezed over you) but it does now seem to be way more transmissible judging on how quickly cases are going upwards ….

I don’t think it’s onerous to ask people to wear a mask and it will be interesting to see if any supermarket chains make their own call on this next week 

I for one, will continue with the mask and hand sanitisers in supermarkets and other places where the ignorant, the "I couldn't give a fuk brigade", the elderly (who are by and large, unaware or don't understand any kind of social distancing and hygiene requirements , the misinformed and stupid people go wandering about as if they'd never been in the place before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Anyone heard of the main supermarkets policy re. masks? I know Poundland will continue but not heard of others. 

Absolutely. I’ve had a year of vile and disgusting abuse thrown at me, despite having a hidden disabilities card. I will be giving volleys and volleys of abuse back.

Examples, please or it it's a meaningless accusation. Facts pleas, not some made up scenario.

3 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

Clearly FatherTed is at best ill informed, at worst selfish and ignorant of the the facts and the choices people can make. Why berate someone because they don't fit with your narrative. I like country music. Is that worthy of berating me?

No idea

a) No, and no.

b) Delusions of grandeur? Are you just coming out with random insults? I have no doubt there are many criticisms my post may deserve, but I struggle to see how ‘delusions of grandeur’ is one of them.

c) What’s FUD?

No idea, no answer from the man himself yet.

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

people that are havin jabs seem to be more ill after having the vaccine strange .. surely if you dont feel bad agter e years of this goin round then there is no need to have the vaccine

Sorry, what?

• Like 3

a) No, and no.

c) What’s FUD?

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why would you berate someone for doing something which has absolutely no effect on you other than to try to protect you from a potentially lethal virus?

I think you may have misunderstood what 'mentally inept' actually means, because I'm really struggling to understand how 'mentally inept'  you have to be to think that's a sensible, reasonable and rational idea? 

Doesn't he understand that it's not about him. It's about protecting others. Were these people born selfish or did they learn to be? Wonder if this happened during blackouts in WW2? FU, I'm not turning my lights out. It's my freedom. They would probably have got themselves locked up. 

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

people that are havin jabs seem to be more ill after having the vaccine strange .. surely if you dont feel bad agter e years of this goin round then there is no need to have the vaccine

Not sure if I misunderstood, but the point of the vaccine is not only protect you, but also reduce your transmissibility no?