Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

People seem to think rocking up to the vaccine centre with a smile on your face and your sleeve rolled up shouting 'PUT IT IN ME!' are somehow better than people who didn't want it but got it anyway, which just baffles me to the core. You either got the vaccine or you didn't. Your attitude towards it counts for nil. If not enough people have had 2 doses yet then why are we fully reopening and dropping all restrictions? And if we do and we reach the numbers touted for herd immunity in the next few weeks anyway... Again, if the vaccine works why is the world saying were crazy and the experts here predicting we'll be locked down again within weeks? If the vaccine worked we wouldn't be under the threat of lockdown. Am I missing something? 

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

People seem to think rocking up to the vaccine centre with a smile on your face and your sleeve rolled up shouting 'PUT IT IN ME!' are somehow better than people who didn't want it but got it anyway, which just baffles me to the core. You either got the vaccine or you didn't. Your attitude towards it counts for nil. If not enough people have had 2 doses yet then why are we fully reopening and dropping all restrictions? And if we do and we reach the numbers touted for herd immunity in the next few weeks anyway... Again, if the vaccine works why is the world saying were crazy and the experts here predicting we'll be locked down again within weeks? If the vaccine worked we wouldn't be under the threat of lockdown. Am I missing something? 

You’re not missing anything - seems we’re opening up to get as many people infected whilst it’s summer (and Tory dogma). That way, they won’t  need a vaccine cos they’ll have natural immunity.

It’s a v high risk experiment …… it could work and avoid an autumn wave which leads to big hospitalisations. Those who are anti vax stand a good chance of picking up the infection and becoming de facto vaccinated ahead of the autumn! 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

First dose is only around 60% effective 

and you have to wait around 10 days post second dose for efficacy to rise to 90%.

ten days ago second dose was around 63% - so around 6 in 10 are protected against serious illness - NOT CATCHING IT.  It’s always been known that vaccinations don’t stop you becoming. Infectious.  There are many millions of people who are still not protected from serious illness ….

But those 6 in 10 should account for 90% of the most vulnerable, as they're the ones who have been targeted to have them first. It's not as simple as saying 6 in 10 have had it. 9 out of 10 who face the risk of severe illness (matchbook figure obviously but can't be far off) should have had both doses by now. I am in no way anti vaxx and I've been away from this thread for months for accusations saying I am because of my genuine hesitancy towards taking it. 

16 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But those 6 in 10 should account for 90% of the most vulnerable, as they're the ones who have been targeted to have them first. It's not as simple as saying 6 in 10 have had it. 9 out of 10 who face the risk of severe illness (matchbook figure obviously but can't be far off) should have had both doses by now. I am in no way anti vaxx and I've been away from this thread for months for accusations saying I am because of my genuine hesitancy towards taking it. 

Those who run the largest risk of being severely ill are double vaccinated and only at about 10% of the risk that they were before

35% of the adult population are currently at risk via non effective or non existent vaccination….. that’s double figure millions of people ……even if only 0.001% of those end up in hospital, that’s many thousands of hospitalisations putting heavy pressure on the NHS and most of those in hospital will likely be under fifty. 

the timing is a bit sh1t and can only assume that govt think they’re being ‘clever’ with their policy. Otherwise it makes little sense to unlock the final restrictions at this particular time.  

• Like 2

The vaccines were never expected to be this good. The aim was to keep people out of hospital, not only are they doing that, but they're preventing an enormous amount of infections even with Delta. We don't have enough people jabbed yet to keep those numbers to a low level. Either by infection or vaccination by August/September we will, we just have to hold our nerve. The tide will soon turn. 

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The vaccines were never expected to be this good. The aim was to keep people out of hospital, not only are they doing that, but they're preventing an enormous amount of infections even with Delta. We don't have enough people jabbed yet to keep those numbers to a low level. Either by infection or vaccination by August/September we will, we just have to hold our nerve. The tide will soon turn. 

According to the data, people (occupied, covid) are being kept out of hospital...

The issue regarding space in hospitals remains as it did back in March last year.  What is govt doing about it?  Nothing again it seems.  The current system cannot cope comfortably with the numbers, even without the virus.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

So if its all as rosy as people seem to think why are we likely to have another lockdown within 2 months? I just don't get it. Yes the vaccines have helped, I won't dispute that, but they can't be having the desired effect or better than desired, if they had we wouldn't be on the verge of things getting out of control, no? I understand without the vaccine things would be worse. I'm just fed up of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So if its all as rosy as people seem to think why are we likely to have another lockdown within 2 months? I just don't get it. Yes the vaccines have helped, I won't dispute that, but they can't be having the desired effect or better than desired, if they had we wouldn't be on the verge of things getting out of control, no? I understand without the vaccine things would be worse. I'm just fed up of it.

Look at it like this. Nature owes us nothing, it doesnt care about our societies or dreams or how we see the world. Are the vaccines perfect? No. Look at me, after x2 Pfizer I'm sitting here ****ing sick again with covid. But they will help a lot.

This unlocking will be a disaster and we will be back in lockdown by Autumn. That's just the way it is.

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

Look at it like this. Nature owes us nothing, it doesnt care about our societies or dreams or how we see the world. Are the vaccines perfect? No. Look at me, after x2 Pfizer I'm sitting here ****ing sick again with covid. But they will help a lot.

This unlocking will be a disaster and we will be back in lockdown by Autumn. That's just the way it is.

I understand this, and I don't think I'm special or I know more than the experts. I'm just pissed off, I don't see a way out for this.

10 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Sage are pulling the strings, always have.  "They" (collectively) are reluctant to let go and let everyone do as they please.  If the mask mandate which ends on Monday does not coincide with an increase in further cases, that also looks stupid for them.  Fear and control, they have it in abundance and do not want to let go.  See Whitty's comments this morning.  Always worst case scenario which is never met.  I'd post the 100k (iSage) and 200k (Prof Lockdown) cases data but can't be bothered.  Suffice to say we're still nowhere near.

23 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've not seen one article about lockdown in 2 months.

We will be the other side of the peak then so a lock down seems incredibly unlikely

34 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

According to the data, people (occupied, covid) are being kept out of hospital...

The issue regarding space in hospitals remains as it did back in March last year.  What is govt doing about it?  Nothing again it seems.  The current system cannot cope comfortably with the numbers, even without the virus.

Well this is the main thing, instead of protect the NHS it should have been adequately fund the NHS but that's obviously not going to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I thoroughly hope so. Just all seems a bit groundhog day to me. 

Not sure what you're reading, but I'd advise knocking the covid news on the head mate.

You sound like I did around Jan-Feb, I saw no positives and was massively down about the whole thing.

I stopped looking for stories and news. Just used this thread and the daily stats that are released and formed my own opinions. The media want people as traumatised as possible, I'm not sure why, but I guess it keeps people coming back to them in the hope of good news

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Well this is the main thing, instead of protect the NHS it should have been adequately fund the NHS but that's obviously not going to happen.

I'd happily pay towards funding the system like I do with monthly dental care fees if it meant a better deal for everyone else including me.  The current system is not fit for purpose.  It's not right that you cannot get timely care but then pay a tidy sum to see someone within a week of doing so.

Sorry truth is we'll all end up paying back the colossal amounts spent to help keep the system going rather than improve the system itself.

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Well if they're effective then why is there a threat of another lockdown looming? We were promised the vaccine drive would put an end to restrictions because we'd be out the woods. If we go back in to a lockdown how can anyone with a straight face say the vaccines work sufficiently, when we have a near 90% uptake. 

I personally think it’s the lockdowns that are making the difference, it’s fairly obvious that if everyone is in a lockdown, the virus isn’t t going to spread and it’s no coincidence that the numbers start creeping up when there’s a bit of relaxation.  I think the vaccines are keeping the numbers down for a while but then they escalate again. We’re gonna have to get used to it and somehow work round it. Cheers China.

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'd happily pay towards funding the system like I do with monthly dental care fees if it meant a better deal for everyone else including me.  The current system is not fit for purpose.  It's not right that you cannot get timely care but then pay a tidy sum to see someone within a week of doing so.

Sorry truth is we'll all end up paying back the colossal amounts spent to help keep the system going rather than improve the system itself.

What happened to the 350 million that was supposed to go to the nhs. I reckon captain Tom has done more for increasing the nhs budget than the government have done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What happened to the 350 million that was supposed to go to the nhs. I reckon captain Tom has done more for increasing the nhs budget than the government have done.

There never was any £350 million.

It was just one of a hundred lies told by the Leave campaign.

• Like 2