Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

21 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Wonder how long the vaccinations can immune us from the virus..

I had mine December and March, now I'm sick again but already starting to feel a bit better which must be due to the vaccines (and being young).

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And from your description of the event that infected you, it must have been quite a heavy viral load …….

Yeah if it was that (I was in my usual PPE). I had been on a stag and the groom had a stinking "cold" although was testing negative on flow test. I shared a bed with him the whole weekend and caught his "cold" while also testing negative. I got worse but still worked Tuesday when the vent went off in my face, but that does happen time to time and never been sick from that before. I wonder if I had his cold which put my immune system down + the high viral load = covid. No one else from the stag weekend got sick.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

35% of the adult population are currently at risk via non effective or non existent vaccination….. that’s double figure millions of people ……even if only 0.001% of those end up in hospital, that’s many thousands of hospitalisations putting heavy pressure on the NHS and most of those in hospital will likely be under fifty. 

That's around 20,000 - half of the Jan peak. 

Edited by Otis

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Look at it like this. Nature owes us nothing, it doesnt care about our societies or dreams or how we see the world. Are the vaccines perfect? No. Look at me, after x2 Pfizer I'm sitting here ****ing sick again with covid. But they will help a lot.

This unlocking will be a disaster and we will be back in lockdown by Autumn. That's just the way it is.

So you don't believe the vaccine works.

30 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I had mine December and March, now I'm sick again but already starting to feel a bit better which must be due to the vaccines (and being young).

Or maybe you do?

11 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Yeah if it was that (I was in my usual PPE). I had been on a stag and the groom had a stinking "cold" although was testing negative on flow test. I shared a bed with him the whole weekend and caught his "cold" while also testing negative. I got worse but still worked Tuesday when the vent went off in my face, but that does happen time to time and never been sick from that before. I wonder if I had his cold which put my immune system down + the high viral load = covid. No one else from the stag weekend got sick.

No social distancing then? 😀

Are you saying you have had covid previously and been doubled vaccinated and tested positive for a second time?

Have you actually had a confirmed positive covid test? 

31 minutes ago, Otis said:

So you don't believe the vaccine works.

Or maybe you do?

No social distancing then? 😀

Are you saying you have had covid previously and been doubled vaccinated and tested positive for a second time?

Have you actually had a confirmed positive covid test? 

Nope no social distancing, it was a stag weekend.

Yes I had Covid in March 2020. I had Pfizer jab x2 and yes I have Covid now, I am sick and it's confirmed by 2 lateral flow tests and a PCR. After feeling terrible for 2 days I am getting better quickly because I am vaccinated.

Edited by z-layrex

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just to clarify - vaccinated people catch covid 

but they hopefully don’t become seriously ill 

whether vaccinated people who have previously had covid are likely to be symptomatic is a question that will be answered over the next weeks …..

Yes, This has been proven.

So why are so many predicting another lockdown in the near future. 

I think some really want another lockdown so they can say - I told you so, look at me I was right all along, this is the reason why I wear double masks, etc...

We need a little positivity in this country. 

Like Boris said,  if we don't open up now then when? 

In the winter when the NHS is naturally busier?

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

Nope no social distancing, it was a stag weekend.

Yes I had Covid in March 2020. I had Pfizer jab x2 and yes I have Covid now, I am sick and it's confirmed by 2 lateral flow tests and a PCR.

This must be very rare. Anyway glad you appear to be recovering well. 

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just to clarify - vaccinated people catch covid 

but they hopefully don’t become seriously ill 

whether vaccinated people who have previously had covid are likely to be symptomatic is a question that will be answered over the next weeks …..

I mean I can confirm that for you right now lol.

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

9 out of 10 who face the risk of severe illness (matchbook figure obviously but can't be far off) should have had both doses by now

But the remaining 1 out of ten is still quite a lot of people.

Also, they’re not the only ones who face the risk of severe illness, just the statistically most likely to suffer it. The relatively tiny percentage of ‘non-vulnerable’ people who will also end up getting severely ill is also a lot of people. Given that there are still an awful lot of people who haven’t had both doses yet, it seems daft not to wait longer before lifting restrictions - and doing it more gradually.

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

Another lockdown is going to be enormously difficult to sell. A lockdown is only as effective as the compliance it generates- a fourth one is asking a lot of the public, businesses etc.

Yes - think at best they might get away with making people wear masks indoors again.

People  will act in their own way.

TBH If you aren't going to wear a mask properly or pull it down to lick fingers or something I wouldn't bother anyway.

Edited by Super_horns

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

Another lockdown is going to be enormously difficult to sell. A lockdown is only as effective as the compliance it generates- a fourth one is asking a lot of the public, businesses etc.

Agree entirely - it's the last thing anyone wants... but we are now, following complete relaxation at the discretion and the judgement of the British public amid a soaring case rate. It's precisely what some members of this forum have been arguing for. You have it...over to you. Popular opinion over science. Good luck. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree entirely - it's the last thing anyone wants... but we are now, following complete relaxation at the discretion and the judgement of the British public amid a soaring case rate. It's precisely what some members of this forum have been arguing for. You have it...over to you. Popular opinion over science. Good luck. 

Having seen how the general public manage to continually suprise me by ****ing up a Covid test, I'm waiting for the worst to happen

"The virus is still with us; it has not gone away. The risk of a dangerous new variant that evades vaccines remains real. We know that, with covid-19, the situation can change and it can change quickly, but we cannot put our lives on hold forever."

Sajid Javid. Monday 6th July 2021. 

Happy holidays. 

36 minutes ago, Line-X said:

"The virus is still with us; it has not gone away. The risk of a dangerous new variant that evades vaccines remains real. We know that, with covid-19, the situation can change and it can change quickly, but we cannot put our lives on hold forever."

Happy holidays. 

That is the risk and if that overwhelms the NHS we will we back to square one but hopefully that won’t happen.

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

That is the risk and if that overwhelms the NHS we will we back to square one but hopefully that won’t happen.

That's my concern. Localised and concentrated clinical burden. No doubt many of these ****ers currently snipping up their face masks were the same ones rattling pots and pans on their doorsteps and attention seeking on social media supposedly out of respect for the NHS last summer.  

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

But the remaining 1 out of ten is still quite a lot of people.

Also, they’re not the only ones who face the risk of severe illness, just the statistically most likely to suffer it. The relatively tiny percentage of ‘non-vulnerable’ people who will also end up getting severely ill is also a lot of people. Given that there are still an awful lot of people who haven’t had both doses yet, it seems daft not to wait longer before lifting restrictions - and doing it more gradually.

Don't worry, it's a lot fewer than 1 out of 10.  The take-up in the over 40's is over 95%.  Besides, if people have chosen not to take it, knowing the risks - it's their choice.  If they die - that is their lifestyle choice.  If society as a whole has found them a way to survive and they have chosen not to take it - hasn't society done all that can be expected?  

Under 40, there are still fewer than 1,000 deaths in 18 months, and most of those died principally from something else.  Obviously in June we delayed to allow more people to be jabbed, and in July the proposal is that we delay because the virus will mutate; perhaps in August the delay can be back to allowing more people to be jabbed, and then September can coincide with the expected rise in flu cases.  October to February is the depths of winter so obviously it's no time to release lockdown, and no doubt in March we can start demanding no release until everyone has had their third jabs.  That should keep us locked up for the summer, and then we're back to winter again.  

Will there ever be a "right time" to open football grounds?

2 hours ago, Corky said:

In theory yes, but I expect the reality would be, as it has been throughout, that the majority of people follow the instructions that they're given whilst the high profile right wing knobbers cry about it on Twitter.

8 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Been working so may missed something, has there been indication of vaccine efficacy is falling/failing?

At the present time, thankfully not.

People are evidently worrying about it though, and the more the virus propagates among a partially-vaccinated population the more chance it might end up changing into something more vaccine-resistant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Happy holidays. 

As was said before, it's a massive gamble. Given the vaccine it should work, but the stakes are bloody high.

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Don't worry, it's a lot fewer than 1 out of 10.  The take-up in the over 40's is over 95%.  Besides, if people have chosen not to take it, knowing the risks - it's their choice.  If they die - that is their lifestyle choice.  If society as a whole has found them a way to survive and they have chosen not to take it - hasn't society done all that can be expected?  

Under 40, there are still fewer than 1,000 deaths in 18 months, and most of those died principally from something else.  Obviously in June we delayed to allow more people to be jabbed, and in July the proposal is that we delay because the virus will mutate; perhaps in August the delay can be back to allowing more people to be jabbed, and then September can coincide with the expected rise in flu cases.  October to February is the depths of winter so obviously it's no time to release lockdown, and no doubt in March we can start demanding no release until everyone has had their third jabs.  That should keep us locked up for the summer, and then we're back to winter again.  

Will there ever be a "right time" to open football grounds?

That's not really the point though. Whether they choose to have the vaccine or not they will still end up in hospital and this is what we are seeing starting to happen now. The logical progression of your argument would be to refuse people medical help on the grounds they opted out of the vaccine and so we could say the same about any vaccine/medicine etc.

What we have here is a purely political decision not based on any sensible scientific rationale. Boris simply doesn't want to look like he's failed to deliver even though he's made stupid promises in the past and failed to do so. Add pressure from his own back bench MPs and we are where we are now.

Of course there is no perfect time to open up as you intimate. However, all we hear is that double vaccination is the key to this. That double vaccination makes a significant difference to the effects of the Delta variant and double vaccination makes a difference to the transmission rates of the other variants. We don't have enough evidence to know re Delta.  So the logic would be to hold off until all eligible adults have been offered their 2nd jab, perhaps a little over 4 weeks away. That would still be in the summer and holiday period but would give better protection to more people.

Seems a fair chance we are going to see significant rises in hospital admissions even if these are milder than in the past which in turn will lead to cancelled procedures. Add to that the NHS covid app pinging so many people including many in the NHS and social services it isn't hard to see a situation where restrictions will be required in the not too distant future to help prevent the collapse of health and social care in this country.