Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

54 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I'm gonna do a little ceremonial mask burning 

I wouldn't light that match just yet.

We are obviously heading for a controlled herd immunity situation, control being vaccination, i can't see how it can be avoided.

Reducing the chances of mutually avoiding breathing the festering infested bad breath of strangers with a mouth covering and a bit of distance is all we had left, too drastic to drop all together. Relying on thickos to use commonsense is like removing speed limits 

No other country on the planet with increasing cases has stopped masks being mandatory. 

Before the silly masks don't work comments, Google 'do masks work' and you'll only find looneys like David Ike and Piers Corbyn say no 

• Like 1

I feel like I'm in a minority but I'm pretty chilled about relaxations. If we do hit high numbers quickly we will peak quickly and they will come down quickly. Theres only a finite amount of people that can be infected and the data quite clearly shows that deaths and serious illness are significantly reduced thanks to the vaccine.

None of the data to date gives me a particularly need to worry.

I cant see a great deal changing. People are already having big parties and going round various different peoples houses on a regular basis anyway.

I'm genuinely interested to see how the next few months go. Feeling quite optimistic it'll all be fine.

I share your optimism but not because of any data crunching rationale ....I stopped worshiping at the altar of covid data some time ago..my gut tells me it will run out if steam..think that makes me a covidiot which is nice 

5 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I share your optimism but not because of any data crunching rationale ....I stopped worshiping at the altar of covid data some time ago..my gut tells me it will run out if steam..think that makes me a covidiot which is nice 

Assume you mean, scientific data from previous pandemics has shown it will run out of steam? 

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Assume you mean, scientific data from previous pandemics has shown it will run out of steam? 

If you like..anyway I'm sure you are far smarter than me so I will try not to breathe on anyone if it helps prevent all the good stuff from being cancelled ...I have a feeling some folk secretly love that though 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Google 'do masks work' and you'll only find looneys like David Ike and Piers Corbyn say no 

You'll find a select few self appointed geniuses on this thread. 

1 hour ago, Adrian said:

I'm gonna do a little ceremonial mask burning 

I wouldn't - depending upon what you use, they are handy things to have in an urban environment given the levels of pollution. Also, out of respect for some business owners or the vulnerable around you it is a small sacrifice to make - there will also be continued mandate in some circumstances. I can think of multiple businesses in Leicester that are politely requesting that patrons wear masks entering their premises for a range of legitimate reasons. 

Also, the concern is, that during the oncoming weeks soaring case rates and localised superspreading events place huge clinical burden upon trusts and healthcare services. Better to attempt to confront the "exit wave" now than during the flu season, but continued vigilance and in some circumstances, the wearing of masks is a no brainer. My concern is the connotations of "freedom day" given the increasing mass stupidity of the British public. . 

12 minutes ago, Adrian said:

my gut tells me it will run out if steam..think that makes me a covidiot which is nice 

No it doesn't - because you are correct, it will eventually be possible to eliminate it where vaccination rates are high. The concern is, that eradication is impossible and while the global infection rate remains high variants will continue to emerge and the resultant mutations may be capable of vaccine evasion. 

Stark reminder of it all this weekend. 

My brother in law had to put his mate in the recovery position yesterday afternoon. 

The lad in question is mid 20s, double jabbed and previously had COVID. He’s been double jabbed because despite being healthy, he had one of kidneys removed. That condition he developed wasn’t because of unhealthy diet or lifestyle. It was genetics. Luck. 

Thankfully he regained consciousness and the ambulance said if he’s stable, we won’t bring him in. The event was totally in line with multiple occasions they associate with long covid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My brother in law had to put his mate in the recovery position yesterday afternoon. 

The lad in question is mid 20s, double jabbed and previously had COVID. He’s been double jabbed because despite being healthy, he had one of kidneys removed. That condition he developed wasn’t because of unhealthy diet or lifestyle. It was genetics. Luck. 

Thankfully he regained consciousness and the ambulance said if he’s stable, we won’t bring him in. The event was totally in line with multiple occasions they associate with long covid. 

These are the folk the rabid anti mask/vaxx brigade are desperate to overlook. 

Harrydc would, straight face, be telling you that there's no risk and it's all a hoax when there's so much at risk long - term that we just don't know about. 

I hope your friend makes a recovery. 

• Like 2

My workplace, which is entirely heavy and quick (we have rates to hit!) lifting for 8 hours a day (3 shifts) have said from Monday masks will remain. Its shit, especially when I consider they only made masks compulsory (on face in some way, not necessarily over mouth and nose - mask beards galore!) in April and made covering mouth/nose compulsory only a couple of weeks ago because 1 shift had an outbreak. I don't have any issue with it really, nothing stopping me wearing a mask usually, but try lugging 15kg boxes of carrots around in this heat with a face mask on, **** me it's painful. I was hoping it (face masks) would be all over tomorrow (for my job, I intend to wear them elsewhere anyway).

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was talking to a few Chelsea fans at the fa cup final and one of them had been suffering since last the middle of last year, could hardly walk and you could see he was concentrating on his breathing but was determined to watch the game. Shocked me at the time because, at the time, I didn’t know anyone who’d had covid let alone long covid. That’s changed a bit over the last month though, seems loads of our friends kids are getting it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Kopic said:

My workplace, which is entirely heavy and quick (we have rates to hit!) lifting for 8 hours a day (3 shifts) have said from Monday masks will remain. Its shit, especially when I consider they only made masks compulsory (on face in some way, not necessarily over mouth and nose - mask beards galore!) in April and made covering mouth/nose compulsory only a couple of weeks ago because 1 shift had an outbreak. I don't have any issue with it really, nothing stopping me wearing a mask usually, but try lugging 15kg boxes of carrots around in this heat with a face mask on, **** me it's painful. I was hoping it (face masks) would be all over tomorrow (for my job, I intend to wear them elsewhere anyway).

My assumption is that places of work are concerned about losing staff to self isolation - not sure what making you wear a mask will do though …..if one of you gets it then the rest are going to be identified as close contacts. Having you wear masks will help stop you catching it  from the others but won’t stop the whole lot of you having to stop working if one of you gets it elsewhere ??  they can argue they’re looking after your best interests rather than theirs !! 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

... you are correct, it will eventually be possible to eliminate it where vaccination rates are high. The concern is, that eradication is impossible and while the global infection rate remains high variants will continue to emerge and the resultant mutations may be capable of vaccine evasion. 

I doubt that.  It took 50 years to eliminate smallpox via vaccine, and smallpox (as I understand it) is less infectious, and crucially, does not mutate.  No other virus has been eliminated by vaccination so far as I know.

52 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I doubt that.  It took 50 years to eliminate smallpox via vaccine, and smallpox (as I understand it) is less infectious, and crucially, does not mutate.  No other virus has been eliminated by vaccination so far as I know.

Sigh.

Smallpox was not eliminated it was eradicated. There is a difference between the terms. Elimination means stopping the transmission of a disease in a defined geographic area or country - so driving it down in order that it is no longer active in a specific area. For example, polio has been 'eliminated' throughout most of the world through vaccination and is now endemic in only three countries.

If a disease is eradicated, worldwide transmission of it ceases with no new or remaining cases. This renders further intervention measures unnecessary. Discounting rinderpest which infects ruminants, the only disease that has ever been eradicated is smallpox which was possible through vaccination because it only existed on one vector. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Sigh.

Smallpox was not eliminated it was eradicated. There is a difference between the terms. Elimination means stopping the transmission of a disease in a defined geographic area or country - so driving it down in order that it is no longer active in a specific area. For example, polio has been 'eliminated' throughout most of the world through vaccination and is now endemic in only three countries.

If a disease is eradicated, worldwide transmission of it ceases with no new or remaining cases. This renders further intervention measures unnecessary. Discounting rinderpest which infects ruminants, the only disease that has ever been eradicated is smallpox which was possible through vaccination because it only existed on one vector. 

So can we eliminate coronavirus in the UK without vaccinating children?  Especially considering that vaccination doesn't stop transmission?

Ive noticed some people I've known for a long time only started showing concern for the vulnerable in society recently.  When I say showing...I mean voicing it ..joining in a bit of public shaming for example not actually doing much about it.  I'm talking about quite dramatic changes in perspective and behaviour. Why?

Comes accross a bit disingenuous to me

These individuals have also become far more political and frankly less fun to be around 

Maybe I should grow up and wear my mask to protect others...

Restrictions may be ending today, but make sure you all keep yourselves safe. 

Whilst a mask may be uncomfortable and staying that distance from randomers in town a complete pain, it could keep you and your loved ones that little bit safer. Hopefully, with a bit of luck, the need for all of this will soon be a memory.

I'm about to start my shift in the Covid lab, think it'll be a busy one today. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 2