Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Anyone see that brum keeper ethridge spent a few days in hospital this week with covid ?  

I expect he was single jabbed some time ago and of course he’s a pro athlete …… enjoy your right to do what you want to but please don't abuse it or we will all end up losing the freedoms we’ve ‘earned back’ at some point in the future ……

4 different buses and a train for me today, really quite interested to see how many have ditched the mask instantly even though I believe a face covering is still expected on public transport. 

I think these initial couple of weeks could see plenty of trouble flair up unfortunately. 

For the last year or so I’ve always been curious about people saying they’ve lost their taste/smell when suffering with covid. I lost mine yesterday and it is crap, would not recommend. Can’t even enjoy a nice crisp sandwich to perk you up. 

8 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

For the last year or so I’ve always been curious about people saying they’ve lost their taste/smell when suffering with covid. I lost mine yesterday and it is crap, would not recommend. Can’t even enjoy a nice crisp sandwich to perk you up. 

I seem to still have mine but I have a weird taste in my mouth constantly. 

8 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So can we eliminate coronavirus in the UK without vaccinating children?  Especially considering that vaccination doesn't stop transmission?

Good point. There is no universal answer as to whether it would be worthwhile. It would certainly contribute to herd immunity and protecting the old and the vulnerable although teenagers seem to spread the virus more than children and infections in the latter are usually mild or asymptomatic so there is little direct benefit beyond protecting others. In some countries it may be worthwhile, the US are already vaccinating the over 12 -15s. It remains to be seen what stance will be taken in the UK. In order to eliminate the virus on these shores it may be necessary, but whilst infection rates are high globally and we have international travel there will still be outbreaks. If these are controlled and kept at a predefined low level regionally, then yes, elimination is possible. 

41 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

My mate lost his for about 6 months and had certain triggers. Onions and coffee gave off an awful taste to him. @st albans fox kids had something similar 

Third contractor I am working on projects has had their work staff decimated by positive tests / self isolation. Predominantly self employed staff all on a very basic sick pay rate.  

This is the inverted economy argument about today. If people aren’t fit enough to shop, earn money, spend money, go holidays…then you have a lot of businesses now fully open, paying full expenses with less customers and less staff. Birmingham’s roads also today despite schools not closing until Wednesday seem awfully quiet

2 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

4 different buses and a train for me today, really quite interested to see how many have ditched the mask instantly even though I believe a face covering is still expected on public transport. 

I think these initial couple of weeks could see plenty of trouble flair up unfortunately. 

a bloke was giving me daggers this morning when i was in the shop with a mask on.

Madness if anyone gets abused for still wearing a mask. If you don’t want to wear one then enjoy that rather than have a go at someone who chooses to wear one. I personally don’t think I will wear one now but will respect those who still will be. 

• Like 4

Here's me hoping mask wearing is normalised after this pandemic is (hopefully) done so I can protect myself against normal flus and colds, and not spread them without being judged. Meanwhile the UK is happy to revert back to coughing and sneezing in people's faces when there's 50k cases a day. Noice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'll be honest I felt a little self conscious being the only person out of about 10 people in the Spar I nipped into this morning with a mask on lol

I might adjust to just carrying one and popping one on if it's busy

I was in Sainsbury's and everyone without exception was wearing one. Different demographic obviously.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Here's me hoping mask wearing is normalised after this pandemic is (hopefully) done so I can protect myself against normal flus and colds, and not spread them without being judged. Meanwhile the UK is happy to revert back to coughing and sneezing in people's faces when there's 50k cases a day. Noice.

Round my area, people tend to cough/sneeze into a handkerchief or their hand if they aren't wearing a mask.  Feel free to criticise that, by all means, but any criticism based on the idea that there are only two alternatives - cough nto a mask or cough into someone's face - is null and void and will be ignored.

3 hours ago, Samilktray said:

The good news is that the most likely outcome is that your senses will return to normal

However, the envelope  of possible outcomes is large. I never lost my taste/smell last year when I had it but I’m certain that my smell isn’t what is once was …. I know of people who’ve not recovered their senses a year on or suffer parosmia (where the nerve is possibly irreparably damaged ) - it’s a Russian roulette situation which is pretty much how the virus is regarding how it is likely to affect you re symptoms and possible immune response thereafter.  Thankfully the vaccines are removing the likelihood of death/severe illness.  those who choose not to be vaccinated are ‘playing with fire’ in an environment where it’s so widespread - fortunately there aren’t many of them in the age groups where death or severe illness is a more likely outcome. 

47 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Madness if anyone gets abused for still wearing a mask. If you don’t want to wear one then enjoy that rather than have a go at someone who chooses to wear one. I personally don’t think I will wear one now but will respect those who still will be. 

The virus is growing exponentially. You can still get sick from the virus. Hopefully the vaccine will stop it from killing you, but you will still feel bloody shit, lose your taste and smell for 2 weeks and possibly even get long covid. Let's not forget the percentage who WILL still get critically ill.

I cannot, under any earthly reality, contemplate why someone wouldn't want to wear a mask in a shop or on a train. My only answer is sheer pig headed stupidity and/or selfishness.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

The virus is growing exponentially. You can still get sick from the virus. Hopefully the vaccine will stop it from killing you, but you will still feel bloody shit, lose your taste and smell for 2 weeks and possibly even get long covid. Let's not forget the percentage who WILL still get critically ill.

I cannot, under any earthly reality, contemplate why someone wouldn't want to wear a mask in a shop or on a train. My only answer is sheer pig headed stupidity and/or selfishness.

The mask is only useful if everyone in your vicinity is wearing one, no? If there's a busy train and you're the only one wearing a mask it's pointless isn't it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I was in Sainsbury's and everyone without exception was wearing one. Different demographic obviously.

Probably because this was a small local shop. I'd imagine if I'd have gone to the local supermarché that most would be wearing masks.

I think generally in busy supermarkets and on busy public transport that we'll see the same levels of mask wearing at least for a few weeks.

I was in A&E yesterday, following an incident between my toe and a wheelie bin, and during the usual 4/5 hour stint I had to listen to the usual loud mouths and chatters in any waiting room. There was one gentleman who made is abundantly clear that he would be 'ripping his masks up from tomorrow (today)' as there's no chance he'd continue with the 'nonsense'. I don't think the irony of his surroundings quite made it through. He then left an hour or so late as he had 'better things to do than wait in A&E. Nice chap. 

I've mentioned on this thread previously, but if my and others mask wearing can allow somebody to feel safer and able to live some form of reasonable life in the current circumstances then I'm sure I can tolerate it for the 5 or 10 minutes it takes me to nip in and out of a shop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

When my mother and I go into a shop and I don't wear a mask because she can't lip read through a mask, who is being stupid and selfish - me or her?  Or both?  Or one word each?