Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, dsr-burnley said:

When my mother and I go into a shop and I don't wear a mask because she can't lip read through a mask, who is being stupid and selfish - me or her?  Or both?  Or one word each?

We've had this argument before and I'm not going to go over it again because you are my Airbnb hero.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

The mask is only useful if everyone in your vicinity is wearing one, no? If there's a busy train and you're the only one wearing a mask it's pointless isn't it?

So they say, at least that's what some people say, i personally think people are finding excuses in the details to avoid wearing them, they've worn them in China for years and medical people wear them and no-ones ever questioned it, now all of a sudden, everyones an expert in the use and effectiveness of them.

Had my second Pfizer jab on Saturday and was rough all yesterday tiredness, headache, nausea, in bed most of the day, started to feel better yesterday evening and am fine now thankfully!

34 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

The virus is growing exponentially. You can still get sick from the virus. Hopefully the vaccine will stop it from killing you, but you will still feel bloody shit, lose your taste and smell for 2 weeks and possibly even get long covid. Let's not forget the percentage who WILL still get critically ill.

I cannot, under any earthly reality, contemplate why someone wouldn't want to wear a mask in a shop or on a train. My only answer is sheer pig headed stupidity and/or selfishness.

Maybe something to do with the government telling them they don't need to wear one? 

Good luck to everyone over there. I hope this all works out without too much damage to health and livelihoods, and I’d be pretty confident that a new equilibrium exists in the longer term, based on improving vaccines and new therapies, where everyone can go about their business as they did before this all blew up.

In the short and medium term I’d personally prefer a more cautious approach, but I don’t live there and clearly people seem to have had enough of restrictions.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
13 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In the short and medium term I’d personally prefer a more cautious approach, but I don’t live there and clearly people seem to have had enough of restrictions.

There are plenty here (a majority apparently) who would also prefer a more cautious approach. Please don’t assume that the government’s actions necessarily reflect what people want!

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Enjoyed the freedom of going into a Supermarket without a mask on today. Mostly old biddies still wearing one. 

While I’m truly happy for you that you have found such enjoyment, I think I will probably not exercise my new ‘freedom to demonstrate my lack of consideration for others.’

53 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

The mask is only useful if everyone in your vicinity is wearing one, no? If there's a busy train and you're the only one wearing a mask it's pointless isn't it?

If you can bear the stigma of wearing an FFP3/N95 mask then its very much not pointless. you will be v unlikely to contract the virus, especially if vaccinated 

if you wear a surgical mask then you will be partly protected 

if you wear a cotton face covering then you're right - you may as well not bother !

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The good news is that the most likely outcome is that your senses will return to normal

However, the envelope  of possible outcomes is large. I never lost my taste/smell last year when I had it but I’m certain that my smell isn’t what is once was …. I know of people who’ve not recovered their senses a year on or suffer parosmia (where the nerve is possibly irreparably damaged ) - it’s a Russian roulette situation which is pretty much how the virus is regarding how it is likely to affect you re symptoms and possible immune response thereafter.  Thankfully the vaccines are removing the likelihood of death/severe illness.  those who choose not to be vaccinated are ‘playing with fire’ in an environment where it’s so widespread - fortunately there aren’t many of them in the age groups where death or severe illness is a more likely outcome. 

Hopefully god smiles down on me having my first jab by allowing me to taste again 

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Round my area, people tend to cough/sneeze into a handkerchief or their hand if they aren't wearing a mask.  Feel free to criticise that, by all means, but any criticism based on the idea that there are only two alternatives - cough nto a mask or cough into someone's face - is null and void and will be ignored.

Haha, exaggerated it a bit but I have seen so many random people not cover their sneezes or coughs at all. Sneezing into hands is grim as well, sneeze into elbows please people.

Just did my non scientific analysis of mask wearing in the m&s food

was expecting a pretty high percentage but a little surprised to see it around 60% (inc staff!)

Tbh, if the staff aren’t going to bother then the retailer can hardly expect the public to take measures to protect the staff by wearing masks 

I’m not in the slightest bit concerned about contracting the infection as my previous exposure and vaccines should provide me with a pretty tepid experience  - but i l’m happy to wear one to make the old folk in the shop more comfortable 

I popped into the newsagent on the way back and it was empty so I didn’t put one on 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m not in the slightest bit concerned about contracting the infection as my previous exposure and vaccines should provide me with a pretty tepid experience

Same applies to me. But I am concerned about contracting it as even though with luck I won’t get very ill I’d much rather minimise my chances of passing it on to someone who might not be so lucky.

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just been to my local Tesco (Metro, Express whatever the smaller ones are called nowdays), not one mask in sight, must have been 10 or so people in there as well, although a couple were young kids.

I had to chuckle when Co-Op took all their social distancing paraphernalia out of their stores last night and people said "that's it, I' sticking to Tesco", like it will be much different. 

Well I’m sure this thread will be a place of reasoned and respectful conversation for the weeks to come. 

Perhaps the second most daunting experience of the pandemic after lockdown is the continuation of divisive tribalism that’s taken over now we’re bored of Covid. Probably giving this thread a miss from now on.

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

was expecting a pretty high percentage but a little surprised to see it around 60% (inc staff!)

Tbh, if the staff aren’t going to bother then the retailer can hardly expect the public to take measures to protect the staff by wearing masks 

I’m not in the slightest bit concerned about contracting the infection as my previous exposure and vaccines should provide me with a pretty tepid experience  - but i l’m happy to wear one to make the old folk in the shop more comfortable 

I popped into the newsagent on the way back and it was empty so I didn’t put one on 

I've had it before and both vaccines, can assure I'd be concerned. It's been a proper shit few days.

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The problem is, you don't know which one of those 40% non-mask wearing people are genuinely exempt on medical grounds. It's unlikely to be 40% though!

Other people wearing or not wearing a mask doesn't bother me that much. As long as I see sense in wearing one, I will continue to do so (e.g. shops, public transport etc.). Even in stadiums when in the concourse/toilets, pub toilets. Not sure about walking between tables in a restaurant/pub though (that to me seems strange when I am only going to take my mask off to sit down).

The biggest issue with mask wearing is the fact that the government have never really made it clear when a mask is beneficial and when not and actually given some statistical/numerical examples as to what happens when you wear a mask in place x and when not. The common people may then be able to understand the wearing of masks a bit better.