Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Cases have not risen continuously since masks became commonplace. That is simply a lie.

They have risen, just not continuously. Mask wearing was brought in way before the second wave. 

25% of people opt for a shi**y home made mask, one that hasn't been washed or a disposable one used multiple times. Effectively pointless.

Let's not try to pretend that masks are the answer.  If we want to suppress the current wave, then we're talking about proper lockdown.  Businesses closing again, football crowds being banned.

Of the six healthcare workers above, note the problems the paediatrician is mentioning are all caused by lockdown, not solved by lockdown.  Children catching a respiratory disease because they have been locked down.  Children having mental health issues because they have been locked down.  Without even mentioning the mess that has been made of their education.

If we want to suppress this disease now, then it means locking down until it is "safe".  Which won't be this winter.  It's not as if we can hope for a vaccine, is it.  All we can do now is either lock down for another year and hope that somehow, in a way that we can't influence, the disease has gone away; or else we let it ride now because - regardless of how bad things may appear to be - doing it some other time would be worse.

First priority IMO - schools are open, children are educated normally.  Make that an absolute, and work round it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

They have risen, just not continuously. Mask wearing was brought in way before the second wave. 

25% of people opt for a shi**y home made mask, one that hasn't been washed or a disposable one used multiple times. Effectively pointless.

So it's not mask wearing that's the issue, it's people and ignorance.

Just now, z-layrex said:

Nothing about this post makes any sense. Have you ever actually looked up the evidence for masks and reducing the spread of a respiratory virus. Here's 70 peer-reviewed sources: https://threader.app/thread/1279144399897866248

Of course cases will periodically go up, wearing a mask is just one of the tools we have to help blunt that surge as the public.

You're talking about detrimental affects to the NHS but you don't make any sense. How do you think the regular NHS services like oncology or surgical lists are supposed to cope with more and more covid patients coming through the doors again? I visited a hospital in Kent last week that has already had to shut half it's operating theatres for use as 'red' icu beds for covid patients.

We are at sub 50 deaths but they are rising and will keep rising again. We are in the midst of a pandemic that will last for years, and it feels like half the British public is going "LALALALALALALALALALALALALA NOT LISTENING ANYMORE IT'S ALL OVER NO MASK ANYMORE THANKS". We don't get to decide when this is done with us.

I haven't got a problem with you wearing a mask? But by law we now don't have to wear one so I'll choose not to. 

The NHS is clearly underfunded, and if it collpases (which the CMO has admitted it has never been close to) then that is the issue. The death rate is still low on a ratio to cases compared to the second wave due to the vaccine effect.

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Let's not try to pretend that masks are the answer.  If we want to suppress the current wave, then we're talking about proper lockdown.  Businesses closing again, football crowds being banned.

Of the six healthcare workers above, note the problems the paediatrician is mentioning are all caused by lockdown, not solved by lockdown.  Children catching a respiratory disease because they have been locked down.  Children having mental health issues because they have been locked down.  Without even mentioning the mess that has been made of their education.

If we want to suppress this disease now, then it means locking down until it is "safe".  Which won't be this winter.  It's not as if we can hope for a vaccine, is it.  All we can do now is either lock down for another year and hope that somehow, in a way that we can't influence, the disease has gone away; or else we let it ride now because - regardless of how bad things may appear to be - doing it some other time would be worse.

First priority IMO - schools are open, children are educated normally.  Make that an absolute, and work round it.

Exactly - I think some people are just desperate to lock down forever in a hope it will go away. If vaccines don't work, we don't really have any other way out of it. 

Mask wearing will not make a blind bit of difference

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It is mad that we've not heard anything from the governmen in terms of wanting to strengthen the NHS considering this has battered it and the people working for it.

Yeah, that won’t happen because the end game is to privatise the NHS. The NHS is a financial black hole that won’t stop sponging money. Privatisation is coming and the government hope people will accept it when there are 15+ million people waiting for surgeries and treatment. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

Yeah, that won’t happen because the end game is to privatise the NHS. The NHS is a financial black hole that won’t stop sponging money. Privatisation is coming and the government hope people will accept it when there are 15+ million people waiting for surgeries and treatment. 

What is it that people want from the NHS?  There seem to be two opinions - some people want it to be primarily a health service that provides free treatment at point of use, and others want it to be primarily a large employer which makes only limited use of non-governmental resources.  

Why does it matter how the NHS is run, if it gets on with its job of curing the sick?  What is it about the German system, for example, that is so appalling that it must not be considered?  I reckon now would be a very good time to look at the NHS, how it works, how it is funded, and see if there is a better way.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

What is it that people want from the NHS?  There seem to be two opinions - some people want it to be primarily a health service that provides free treatment at point of use, and others want it to be primarily a large employer which makes only limited use of non-governmental resources.  

Why does it matter how the NHS is run, if it gets on with its job of curing the sick?  What is it about the German system, for example, that is so appalling that it must not be considered?  I reckon now would be a very good time to look at the NHS, how it works, how it is funded, and see if there is a better way.

I suppose people's concerns are that we'd adopt the American model of insurance being required. So if poor people get sick then their only option is refuse treatment because they can't afford it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Its quite a bit cheaper then the German system (a country slightly larger then our own) & French system (a country of a similar size).  

Cheaper then the EU Median too. The German system is pretty good to be fair but its insurance market is heavily regulated which is not something a UK government is likely to do so I couldn't see a Uk system based on the German system being as effective.

Privatisation when it comes to healthcare generally means less efficiency and more expense.  

For all the talk of NHS being a bureaucratic nightmare which pisses away money on middle management Germany and France spend 4 times more then us on administrative/governance costs.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Its quite a bit cheaper then the German system (a country slightly larger then our own) & French system (a country of a similar size).  

Cheaper then the EU Median too. The German system is pretty good to be fair but its insurance market is heavily regulated which is not something a UK government is likely to do so I couldn't see a Uk system based on the German system being as effective.

Privatisation when it comes to healthcare generally means less efficiency and more expense.

We’d be much better, y’know, actually funding it with meaningful reforms to boost efficiency of what we spend, then actually pay doctors and nurses so they don’t fvck off to Australia/Canada as soon as they can.  

35 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No comments in here on excess deaths in India since the onset of the pandemic being approx 4 million !!!

Add another zero to 4m, them let's talk.

4m is recorded at government facilities.   I think 90% of the population couldn't afford or even get near a government facility.

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Exactly - I think some people are just desperate to lock down forever in a hope it will go away. If vaccines don't work, we don't really have any other way out of it. 

Mask wearing will not make a blind bit of difference

True...Twats Will always remain twats..:whistle:

9 hours ago, brucey said:

218205092_10102117090370956_8747721843508655451_n.jpg

Particularly in Supermarkets!

You can tell it’s the school holidays .

Probably as much of bashing into one of these kids as getting COVID from them.

Anyway looks like France are going hard on those not vaccinated or refuse to be .

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Anyway looks like France are going hard on those not vaccinated or refuse to be .

This was a discussion we had here a couple days ago - it’s a difficult one to argue either way ……. But as long as those who have valid medical reasons for not being vaccinated are covered then because I’ve had both my jabs, I’m coming down on macron’s side !

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This was a discussion we had here a couple days ago - it’s a difficult one to argue either way ……. But as long as those who have valid medical reasons for not being vaccinated are covered then because I’ve had both my jabs, I’m coming down on macron’s side !

Oh yes - have to only apply to those who choose not to have it out of choice rather than health reasons .

32 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Probably as much of bashing into one of these kids as getting COVID from them.

As above, as long as people who cannot have a vaccine are covered off, not a problem. Also, if you do not want the vaccine, not a problem, it just means having to take tests almost daily to be able to exercise your freedom.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Cloth face masks are 'comfort blankets' that do little to curb Covid spread, Sage adviser warns (telegraph.co.uk)

Wow - a Sage adviser actually speaking out against the narrative.  Never thought I'd see the day that happened.

I thought it was well known some masks aren’t as effective as others ?

That is why the NHS have their blue ones for example .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I thought it was well known some masks aren’t as effective as others ?

That is why the NHS have their blue ones for example .

The point is the majority that you see everywhere are cloth masks.  At what point is a cloth mask not effective?  I would say that judging by the article, they're pointless and nothing more than a token gesture for following guidelines.

• Like 1