Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

55 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I take your point, and it is pleasing to see some more encouraging numbers. Just a bit worried that hospitalisation is still rising, but perhaps that will start to flatten off soon too. As I’ve said many times, I don’t live there so I’m viewing from afar and wishing everyone well as sooner or later we’re all going to have to go through this process.

Works actually ok at the moment. The covid keeps coming but it's in perfectly manageable numbers. At the moment I stress.

Think the vaccine is keeping them away from icu, a lot more seem to be getting better just on the ward with some steroids and oxygen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Works actually ok at the moment. The covid keeps coming but it's in perfectly manageable numbers. At the moment I stress.

Think the vaccine is keeping them away from icu, a lot more seem to be getting better just on the ward with some steroids and oxygen.

So true, my cousin went in fat and flabby came out buff with a six pack.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

As was mentioned last night, less tests also means less positive cases. the rate may still be the same but its certainly better than it continuing to go upwards.  did hear that there was a shortage of LFT tests a couple days ago.......

hearing more and more of people being symptomatic after double jab + 2 weeks.  way more than you'd expect for the apparent 90% protection we were led to believe existed against symptomatic cases. i'm pretty sure that we can assume that delta will, more often than not, infect you, double jabbed or not !  whether that leads to symptomatic/asymptomatic and therefore your 'transmissabilty'  is still unclear ........

Less tests = less cases agreed but the ratios appear approx the same which is encouraging 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

lol

is that the emotional repsonse of a scientist to the current policy or a measured assessment……. it certainly could be their aim as has been discussed 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Why are you so skeptical of vaccine effectiveness against infection? It's there in black and white to see. Two doses leads to a 79% reduction in symptomatic infection (AZ+Pfizer combined). Public Health England tracking of millions of people is going to a lot more accurate than all of our anecdotes!

I’m sure that this was a higher percentage a few days ago when I looked at phe data ….I just saw an article from 2 days ago which says AZ offers 2/3 protection against symptomatic illness.  Assume your 79% is the combo AZ and mRNA  which is 88%. 

Maybe I was misinformed ref AZ efficacy - seems 70% is about right.  Looks like the percentages are falling a little but nothing dramatic as yet. 

But hospitalisations are the key, irrespective of infections …..

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I know what you're saying and you've probably been jabbed, as i have, but there are two sides to every arguement. You can't really blame young people who basically live on social media, refusing the jab after seeing some of the videos floating about with people being left half crippled after getting jabbed, shaking and unable to walk. Whether they're true or not is another story.

You assume anti vaxxers are young.

33 minutes ago, doverfox said:

You assume anti vaxxers are young.

Only through my own experience, Obviously not all, both my kids have been jabbed, but the only people I know who don’t want the jab are under 30’s, but my point is maybe there are valid reasons.

Edited by yorkie1999

Just now, Ric Flair said:

2nd jab tomorrow, looking forward to feeling like a bag of smashed twats for a few days afterwards. 

Tomorrow will be fine. The day after writ off from the afternoon and the day after that will be okay providing you don’t try and run a marathon. Lots of water and food and you’ll be sound.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick said:

Tomorrow will be fine. The day after writ off from the afternoon and the day after that will be okay providing you don’t try and run a marathon. Lots of water and food and you’ll be sound.

Cheers pal, missus working Saturday and Sunday night so need the bairns in bed and leave me alone haha

2 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

I felt worse after my first one. 

It seems most get a bit of grottiness from at least 1 of the jabs. I was OK on the 1st so fully expecting feeling pony with the 2nd.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

2nd jab tomorrow, looking forward to feeling like a bag of smashed twats for a few days afterwards. 

I know it effects everyone differently but I felt wiped down for a few days agter jab 1 whereas jab 2 was nothibg more than a sore arm for me. Both Pfizer. So you might end up being ok on jab 2.

Edit - just seen your most recent post, lets hope jab 2 is like your jab 1 then!

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Cheers pal, missus working Saturday and Sunday night so need the bairns in bed and leave me alone haha

It seems most get a bit of grottiness from at least 1 of the jabs. I was OK on the 1st so fully expecting feeling pony with the 2nd.

I felt like death but after a day was fine. Hope it goes well.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Interesting (concerning) Twitter thread discussing findings from a study into long Covid

Ever seen the film Awakenings? It's basically about people left in a catatonic state, sleepy sickness or encephalitis lethargica, following the 1918 flu outbreak in america, although there is no direct evidence,  it's no coincidence that the same illness has been documented following flu oubreaks since the 16th century.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/02/03/sleepy-sickness/

29 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Ever seen the film Awakenings? It's basically about people left in a catatonic state, sleepy sickness or encephalitis lethargica, following the 1918 flu outbreak in america, although there is no direct evidence,  it's no coincidence that the same illness has been documented following flu oubreaks since the 16th century.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/02/03/sleepy-sickness/

I wasn’t  being flippant either …..it’s absolutely true.  I can’t be arsed to do anything.  I’ve really struggled in the heat this week too although thats probably the extra stone I’m carrying - but that relates back to the ‘can’t be bothered to do anything’. I just hope that the vaccines also put some kind of lid on this ‘long covid’ thing ..

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I wasn’t  being flippant either …..it’s absolutely true.  I can’t be arsed to do anything.  I’ve really struggled in the heat this week too although thats probably the extra stone I’m carrying - but that relates back to the ‘can’t be bothered to do anything’. I just hope that the vaccines also put some kind of lid on this ‘long covid’ thing ..

The problem is that no-one actually knows, how do you do a study on lethargy, it's virtually impossible, we can't compare illnesses from years ago simply because there wasn't the science, allegedly , but maybe the data was actually there,  maybe long covid is some sort of neurological illness, as being suggested towards the end of the article, but we don't know yet. I think there appears to be too much jumping the gun and trying to diganose problems that can't be diagnosed for a number of years and also not looking back on history and maybe realising that none of this is actually new to us, just the format has slightly changed.

Edited by yorkie1999

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Had my second yesterday so far felt ok but I am just waiting now for it to start making me feel rubbish 🙈 first one only had a slight headache and a bit tired but wasnt to bad. Don’t see me getting off to lightly this time 

4 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Had my second yesterday so far felt ok but I am just waiting now for it to start making me feel rubbish 🙈 first one only had a slight headache and a bit tired but wasnt to bad. Don’t see me getting off to lightly this time 

Had mine yesterday too and awaiting the same thing. 

1 minute ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

You have to be a bit of a nasty individual to wish bad on someone who is hospitalised and didn't want the vaccine. The whole reason people are unsure about the vaccine is due to mistrust and concerns it could have long term effects worse than that of covid. Maybe they are wrong, but why would you vilify someone based on their hesitance? And let's be honest, most people are vaccinated to protect themselves and their right to travel, not some pure, sacrificial &  selfless goodness to protect society.

I was cautious at first too but have had my vaccine now. Doing my own research helped me to decide. 

But that doesn't mean I'll ride a high horse off into the sunset and belittle anyone (especially younger people less at risk) who ends up ill. Are people so incapable of seeing both sides of an argument to the point that they hate anyone unvaccinated? Because some people really give me that vibe. 

I’m with you on this. I was hesitant at the time, but did decide to have it. People have the right to decide, and it’s always correct to hear out both sides on some debates as they may have good ideas points. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

You have to be a bit of a nasty individual to wish bad on someone who is hospitalised and didn't want the vaccine. The whole reason people are unsure about the vaccine is due to mistrust and concerns it could have long term effects worse than that of covid. Maybe they are wrong, but why would you vilify someone based on their hesitance? And let's be honest, most people are vaccinated to protect themselves and their right to travel, not some pure, sacrificial &  selfless goodness to protect society.

I was cautious at first too but have had my vaccine now. Doing my own research helped me to decide. 

But that doesn't mean I'll ride a high horse off into the sunset and belittle anyone (especially younger people less at risk) who ends up ill. Are people so incapable of seeing both sides of an argument to the point that they hate anyone unvaccinated? Because some people really give me that vibe. 

I don;t think anyone here (I can't speak for out in the wider world) is directly saying that they shouldn't be treated or that they should suffer as a result of it - and personally I hope that anyone unvaccinated who contracts Covid does fully recover in short order.

However I would hope that with that recovery there might come a little wisdom in their outlook.

NB. There's nothing wrong with self-interest and people taking measures based upon it that can also be utilised to help society at large.