Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Could be a bluff to push those who are hesitant into having it, guess we'll find out soon enough!

Of course it is. Why not enforce it from the start of the season?

Clubs aren't going to want to turn fans away having missed them for the best part of 17 months.

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

Of course it is. Why not enforce it from the start of the season?

Clubs aren't going to want to turn fans away having missed them for the best part of 17 months.

Because end sept is the earliest that all adults will have had the opportunity to get both jabs plus two weeks ….

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Because end sept is the earliest that all adults will have had the opportunity to get both jabs plus two weeks ….

So if you have to be double jabbed by October to attend, what happens until then if you aren't?

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Smokers pay 9 billion a year in taxes, where do you think all this money for the nhs comes from 

And die early, so saving on pensions . Most people die of heart dresses cancer etc… if they live to old age costing a fortune. Smokers contribute massively to the finances of the country👀

From what I've read in the week if, and it's a big if, Labour make a stand against this vaccine passport nonsense, it might not go through parliament.  There's quite a few Tories against it, Bridgen is one.

As it stands, it's another failed policy in the making.  How are they going to police it in practical terms?  Utter nonsense.  

The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission either so there's no point in having a passport in the first place.  If you've not had two jabs either you're not going because you dont want to risk it or you're not bothered about the risk if you do go.  Whole thing is madness.

What's the case rate today Ferguson?  Care to give an update on Marr tomorrow morning?  Thought not, he's on his summer break!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

From what I've read in the week if, and it's a big if, Labour make a stand against this vaccine passport nonsense, it might not go through parliament.  There's quite a few Tories against it, Bridgen is one.

As it stands, it's another failed policy in the making.  How are they going to police it in practical terms?  Utter nonsense.  

The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission either so there's no point in having a passport in the first place.  If you've not had two jabs either you're not going because you dont want to risk it or you're not bothered about the risk if you do go.  Whole thing is madness.

What's the case rate today Ferguson?  Care to give an update on Marr tomorrow morning?  Thought not, he's on his summer break!

FB_IMG_1627056952548.jpg.0936861f1ed5666fd96446694265416e.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What happens to those who received their second dose over 6 months ago by October? Do they need a booster to be eligible? Is the vaccine effectiveness going to be 12 months or forever? Too many questions yet to be answered for this to work. If you refuse a vaccine/cannot have it, can they pay for a test to free them up and attend big events? No chance this goes through as it stands, full of holes and discrimination/inequality.

However, I am sure it will develop over the weeks to come. But for now they are all on their holidays!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess like nightclubs, nothing. Once everyone has had the chance to be double jabbed plus two weeks, the restriction will come into force.

He was very clever in announcing this on the eve of the summer recess in Parliament.  

It won't come into force if enough MPs have the courage to stand up to it though.  Problem is, and always has been throughout his tenure so far, he thinks he can do as he likes.

He may be bluffing.  He could backtrack.  He's done that a few times in the last 18 months as well.

I see Sage are on the bandwagon once again - return to another set of restrictions in 3 weeks.  When will they give it a rest?  

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

What happens to those who received their second dose over 6 months ago by October? Do they need a booster to be eligible? Is the vaccine effectiveness going to be 12 months or forever? Too many questions yet to be answered for this to work. If you refuse a vaccine/cannot have it, can they pay for a test to free them up and attend big events? No chance this goes through as it stands, full of holes and discrimination/inequality.

However, I am sure it will develop over the weeks to come. But for now they are all on their holidays!

They have two months to sort it all out! or not bother …….

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess like nightclubs, nothing. Once everyone has had the chance to be double jabbed plus two weeks, the restriction will come into force.

It just doesn't make sense to me. You can go to matches now with one dose but in two months you'll need two.

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

No it doesn’t prevent full transmission dickhead, but if everyone is vaccinated in a venue, it’s less likely to end up spreading and causing hospitalisation.

You’ve had both jabs so why are you so angry anyways? 

9 minutes ago, Pst said:

No it doesn’t prevent full transmission dickhead, but if everyone is vaccinated in a venue, it’s less likely to end up spreading and causing hospitalisation.

You’ve had both jabs so why are you so angry anyways? 

You sound pretty angry in fairness

1 hour ago, Soup said:

FB_IMG_1627056952548.jpg.0936861f1ed5666fd96446694265416e.jpg

If the vaccines are effective then it's not pointless because those vaccinated people aren't putting themselves at risk of contracting a virus their body isn't prepared to defend against, plus if they do become carriers they'll be less contagious to those around them than unvaccinated folk would be. 

It's not an idea I have much faith in any UK government implementing sensibly and equitably, but the logic is sound as a means of reducing the risk to the population.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It wont stop you getting it or transmitting it, it will probably stop you being sick enough to need icu or at the very least a ward bed. That's why vaccine passports would be good for the country imo.

12 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It wont stop you getting it or transmitting it, it will probably stop you being sick enough to need icu or at the very least a ward bed. That's why vaccine passports would be good for the country imo.

The majority of people dying/in hospital with Covid are vaccinated, last time I looked at the figures 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, danny. said:

The majority of people dying/in hospital with Covid are vaccinated, last time I looked at the figures 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vallance-corrects-mistake-to-say-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-are-unvaccinated-12359317

This was the latest from Patrick Vallance, correcting himself from the last press conference. It doesn’t state which side people with one jab fall but I’m assuming they’re included in the 40%. Plus, of course, older people are far more likely to be both double jabbed and far more likely to be hospitalised by Covid with all other things being equal, which would in theory up the percentage of double-jabbed hospitalisees (made up word), but vaccine effectiveness is still coming out on top there.

All in all, just get jabbed. :)

As for vaccine passports, I can’t say I’m a fan of such things in general but I won’t have an objection to them in this situation. It’s just too important for both the health, freedom and economy of the country, and this is science and human innovation of which we should be very proud. If that means putting the press on doubters, I think on balance that’s reasonable. As for anti-vaxxers/conspiracy theorists, they’re going to go on moaning anyway so who cares.

Edited by Dunge
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Wtf? We don't have one single double vaccinated patient in our ICU's at my hospital. Please link me to these figures?

All of my critically ill covid patients are now either:

• Single vaccinated.
  • Too young to have had it before they became sick.
  • Refused the vaccine.

Mate. You're wasting your time. The rise of the idiot isn't concerned with facts or reality, just sensational, ill informed opinion. 

• Like 3

“Does the vaccine work or not?”

”Will the vaccine prevent transmission or not?”

So much black and white thinking in this thread when the situation is really shades of grey. Evidence appears to be that vaccines are very effective at preventing severe disease (though not perfect), and partially effective against transmission. This is very much as expected.

FWIW, I’m not really in favour of vaccine passports in this instance, though I’m not ideologically opposed as some are here. IIR, vaccination always seemed pretty much compulsory when I was at school (may not have actually been the case but always seemed so), and was certainly required to be able to visit some countries, and I don’t recall anyone having an issue.

Nevertheless, in this instance, with the virus being so transmissible, and with vaccines not being completely effective against transmission, i am reasonably convinced that everyone will at some stage be exposed to the virus regardless. There is also some evidence emerging from Israel according to John Campbell, that vaccine effectiveness against transmission diminishes fairly rapidly over time, whilst remaining effective against severe illness. All this means that it seems unlikely that full herd immunity as such will be reached any time soon without regular vaccination and possible vaccine tweaks.

Add to this that vaccine passports will be hard to police and are likely to further polarise an increasingly divided society, and I really doubt that they will actually be introduced. I suspect the idea here is to get some of the waverers over the line to vaccination, but not actually go through with the policy.

But again, shades of grey. The higher the level of vaccination, the less likely it is that Covid patients will become severely ill and clog up hospitals. Also, transmission will be reduced with increasing vaccine uptake to some degree and this will reduce R to some extent. All of this might save you from future lockdowns that could be required to protect the health service, so high vaccination rates are a very good thing for everyone.