Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Which kinda endorses the 'let it rip' theory

...up to the point that this virus, or another, is that one that does violate that rule of thumb by being both too virulent and transmissible to stop, at least in the early stages, and mass death and societal collapse entails.

The odds are small, but even so given the consequences I would deem taking that risk at all unacceptable.

There's a reason larger risks of smaller disruptions are preferred choices to much smaller risks of catastrophe.

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

There has never been biblical support for the idea that Christians will be protected on earth.  And there is plenty of evidence to prove that we won't.  All we are promised is that we will be protected in the adterlife.

If a random car goes out of control and there is a Christian and an atheist standing nearby, and one is killed, it it neither more nor less likely to be the Christian.  Christianity does not prevent earthly pain.

But, pardon for going onto theology, there is biblical support for an ineffable plan written by an omniescent deity, which is what the OP was inferring - I think.

50 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

There has never been biblical support for the idea that Christians will be protected on earth.  And there is plenty of evidence to prove that we won't.  All we are promised is that we will be protected in the adterlife.

If a random car goes out of control and there is a Christian and an atheist standing nearby, and one is killed, it it neither more nor less likely to be the Christian.  Christianity does not prevent earthly pain.

Tell ya boy who was praying in lieu of a vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It wasn't though. After one of the most reckless and failed national responses to the pandemic statistics now unequivocally show that the other Scandinavian countries, which enforced much stricter policies, have suffered considerably fewer losses. Having become a symbol for anti-lockdown and no-mask movements across the world, Sweden was predictably hit by a spiralling number of infections and undisputedly high number of deaths during the last wave. Both King Carl XVI Gustaf and Prime Minister Lofven acknowledged that the Swedish approach had "failed". But then, this is the FEE, a far right libertarian agenda driven think tank. And today's self referencing source? - a tweet from its own managing editor in chief, Jon Miltimore. 

This is a good summary from last April:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00885-0/fulltext

Currently, although the infection rate is now comparatively low, Sweden's cities are facing a steady increase in Delta Variant cases whilst only 25% of adults are double vaccinated, which is a concern. 

Fair enough. But not the bloodbath many predicted though. 

You obviously feel they should've done more and they probably should've but do you think we went a bit too far in our restrictions? 

4 minutes ago, Soup said:

Fair enough. But not the bloodbath many predicted though. 

You obviously feel they should've done more and they probably should've but do you think we went a bit too far in our restrictions? 

No I really don't, they saved lives and excessive pressure on the NHS during the peak last January. If anything, they were too lax - I refer in particular to the approach to international travel. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No I really don't, they saved lives and excessive pressure on the NHS during the peak last January. If anything, they were too lax - I refer in particular to the approach to international travel. 

Ok I probably should've guessed really. I'd say banning the use of outdoor gym's was a bit daft but you'll probably have a reason why they did that as well

12 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Wtf? We don't have one single double vaccinated patient in our ICU's at my hospital. Please link me to these figures?

All of my critically ill covid patients are now either:

• Single vaccinated.
  • Too young to have had it before they became sick.
  • Refused the vaccine.

this, and some other reports I’ve seen from the ONS data. Maybe it’s changed in the last couple of weeks, I’m on my phone and it’s not the easiest wading through the gov site on there. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1001354/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_17.pdf 

I have no stake in this, just repeating what I’d read. Happy to be wrong. It’s also confusing when the government give one figure during a briefing and then change it afterwards. 

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Mate. You're wasting your time. The rise of the idiot isn't concerned with facts or reality, just sensational, ill informed opinion. 

Thanks for calling me an idiot. I guess PHE reports based on ONS data are not factual, will bear that in mind. Can you link me to the correct figures please? I’d genuinely love to see, I’m only interested in facts, despite your uncalled for insult insinuating otherwise. 

Edited by danny.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Only wondering aloud, but it might work the other way, a bit like antibiotics v bacteria 

The better the vaccines work, the stronger the virus might become in order to survive. The easier a virus passes, the weaker it becomes as it need not be so aggressive 

I’ve read a couple of papers that suggest mass vaccination during a pandemic are the key driver for mutation. 

1 minute ago, Soup said:

Ok I probably should've guessed really. I'd say banning the use of outdoor gym's was a bit daft but you'll probably have a reason why they did that as well

No, of course I agree with you on that - although I think it was largely owing to a concern over surface transmission. There are of course always exceptions, particularly in terms of activities out of doors and the so called "rule of six" was absurd. 

Apologies, to clarify -  I was referring chiefly to lockdown duration, premature relaxation last year and over Christmas, but mainly international travel. 

• Like 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
4 minutes ago, danny. said:

I’ve read a couple of papers that suggest mass vaccination during a pandemic are the key driver for mutation. 

I believe it’s partial mass vaccination. As I understand it, a lot of scientists believe that letting a virus ‘let rip’ through a partially-vaccinated population creates the perfect environment for virus mutation.

Good job that’s not happening, eh?

8 minutes ago, danny. said:

Vaccination with varying and incomplete coverage, yes. That adds an additional driver, but then the thing is going to mutate as it propagates anyway so having something that takes away the worst effects is rather helpful.

We're in an arms race against nature and we always have been. Biotech, correctly applied, helps us stay at least a little ahead in that race for longer.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danny. said:

this, and some other reports I’ve seen from the ONS data. Maybe it’s changed in the last couple of weeks, I’m on my phone and it’s not the easiest wading through the gov site on there. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1001354/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_17.pdf 

I have no stake in this, just repeating what I’d read. Happy to be wrong. It’s also confusing when the government give one figure during a briefing and then change it afterwards. 

Thanks for calling me an idiot. I guess PHE reports based on ONS data are not factual, will bear that in mind. Can you link me to the correct figures please? I’d genuinely love to see, I’m only interested in facts, despite your uncalled for insult insinuating otherwise. 

No, the reports are factual.  I think you can rely on PHE reports based on ONS data - but you do need to interpret them correctly.

For one thing, that report is dated 25th June, so it's based on much more limited data up to 21st June.  The report you want is here.  It goes up to 19th July.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005517/Technical_Briefing_19.pdf

Second, delta cases are now 90% in the under 50's.  Of them, 2,327 have been admitted to hospital, 140 of whom were double vaccinated (but it doesn't say how long since the second jab).  Of the 45 who died, 3 were double jabbed.  (Note these numbers are only of those who have been fully genome tested and found to have Delta variant, which is why the numbers are lower than the global totals.)

Over 50's have a higher proportion of hospital cases having been double jabbed, and have 220 of the 415 deaths, but that is probably because the vast majority of over 50's have been jabbed but no vaccine can work properly if the person receiving it is already in poor health or their body is old and worn out.  The age range of deaths is still heavily skewed to over 75.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Cases collapsing quicker than LCFC at the last 10 games of the season lol

Makes it seem even more euros centric then.  I can’t think that the lowering of restrictions last weekend will be much more of a catalyst than the euros were and with schools now shut we may not  going up again into the forties ….

5 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I believe it’s partial mass vaccination. As I understand it, a lot of scientists believe that letting a virus ‘let rip’ through a partially-vaccinated population creates the perfect environment for virus mutation.

Good job that’s not happening, eh?

BBC News - Covid: Is UK now a breeding ground for new variants?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57941574

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My non biologically  trained view is currently that because delta is still able to infect the double vaccinated in reasonable numbers, there is no reason for it to mutate to evade the vaccines ……. If the vaccines were really effective at stopping infection at all then we may well be in a worse place in this respect. Of course the high number of infections does present more chances of an ‘error mutation’ catching us out 

Edited by st albans fox

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Three options:

1.  Strict lockdown to stop the virus spreading.

2.  Vaccinate children to reduce the unvaccinated spreaders.

3.  Ignore it because it is the spike protein that helps it spread and if the spike protein isn't there, it won't spread so it won't matter about the vaccine.

Number 1 isn't practical, number 2 isn't politically possible, so it's number 3.