Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I think our main difference is on the meaning of "almost inevitable".  I reckon that when Ferguson said that something was "almost inevitable", it's a bit of a stronger opinion than your version of ""suggested similar things could happen".  I don't really think it's two ways of saying the same thing.

“Almost” meaning not completely but nearly.

Which followed “could”, “difficult to predict” etc etc etc. 

40 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I'm not really sure whether you meant to post this on the jokes thread or on here.

But for the record, I can't find anywhere where Boris Johnson claimed we couldn't have had the vaccine success without leaving the European Medicines Agency.  If there's a link, please post it.

The other reason I think he must be joking is that he claims the German vaccination programme is ahead of ours on percentage of fully vaccinated people.  He has seen that the UK has issued 123.56 vaccines per head, and has 54% of the population fully vaccinated (he's actually a couple of days out of date, it's now 55%) and a further 13.5% half vaccinated.  He has also seen that Germany has issued 107.11 vaccines per head, assumed that means 54% of their population have had two doeses and 46% have had no doses, and announced that Germany is ahead of Britain on fully doesd population.

It's buffoonery.  You can see from the comments that his audience has no interest in facts or accuracy.  It's the politics of hate.  Donald Trump would (in other circumstances) be proud of his disregard for truth.

Referring to the UK’s mass vaccination programme, which has just reached ten million jabs, Mr Johnson said: “If we had listened to the honourable gentleman, Mr Speaker, we would still be at the starting blocks, because he wanted to stay in the European Medicines Agency, Mr Speaker, and said so four times from that despatch box.”

The premise of Mr Johnson’s question – that being in the EU regulatory framework would have prevented Britain from rolling out its vaccine programme as quickly as we have done – is also false.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-keir-starmer-did-want-to-stay-in-the-european-medicines-agency-but-it-wouldnt-have-affected-the-vaccine-rollout

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has claimed Brexit allowed the UK to approve a Covid vaccine more quickly than other European Union (EU) countries.

"We do all the same safety checks and the same processes, but we have been able to speed up how they're done because of Brexit," he said in an interview with Times Radio.

And the Leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, tweeted: "We could only approve this vaccine so quickly because we have left the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55163730

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Referring to the UK’s mass vaccination programme, which has just reached ten million jabs, Mr Johnson said: “If we had listened to the honourable gentleman, Mr Speaker, we would still be at the starting blocks, because he wanted to stay in the European Medicines Agency, Mr Speaker, and said so four times from that despatch box.”

The premise of Mr Johnson’s question – that being in the EU regulatory framework would have prevented Britain from rolling out its vaccine programme as quickly as we have done – is also false.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-keir-starmer-did-want-to-stay-in-the-european-medicines-agency-but-it-wouldnt-have-affected-the-vaccine-rollout

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has claimed Brexit allowed the UK to approve a Covid vaccine more quickly than other European Union (EU) countries.

"We do all the same safety checks and the same processes, but we have been able to speed up how they're done because of Brexit," he said in an interview with Times Radio.

And the Leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, tweeted: "We could only approve this vaccine so quickly because we have left the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55163730

That's clutching at straws.  Johnson said that Starmer wanted to stay in the EMA, which was true, but Starmer denied it because he hadn't heard the question correctly.  (He later apologised for misleading the house.)  The implication of the question (certainly this is what Starmer understood the question to mean) was that Starmer would have gone along with the EMA policy rather than struck out on his own, and that was what Starmer was denying.

Have you solved the problem of the buffoon's bogus numbers yet?

Edited by dsr-burnley

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's clutching at straws.  Johnson said that Starmer wanted to stay in the EMA, which was true, but Starmer denied it because he hadn't heard the question correctly.  (He later apologised for misleading the house.)  The implication of the question (certainly this is what Starmer understood the question to mean) was that Starmer would have gone along with the EMA policy rather than struck out on his own, and that was what Starmer was denying.

I couldn't be bothered to search further for a better quote but Johnson's implication is clear.

Hancock and Rees-Smug were unequivocal.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Have you solved the problem of the buffoon's bogus numbers yet?

You appear to be quoting the wrong poster.

Just now, Buce said:

You appear to be quoting the wrong poster.

True.  Sorry.

Hancock and Rees-Mogg are irrelevant because Phil the buffoon was specifically talking about Boris.  And Rees-Mogg was talking about vaccine approval, not vaccine procurement.  As for Hancock, was there ever a man less reliable?  Certainly his misinformation reflects badly on Johnson - but not to the extent that his lies become Boris's.

25 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

True.  Sorry.

Hancock and Rees-Mogg are irrelevant because Phil the buffoon was specifically talking about Boris.  And Rees-Mogg was talking about vaccine approval, not vaccine procurement.  As for Hancock, was there ever a man less reliable?  Certainly his misinformation reflects badly on Johnson - but not to the extent that his lies become Boris's.

I think we can agree that the chap on the video is twisting things somewhat but also that the Conservatives attempted to pass off the vaccine success as a 'Brexit benefit' when clearly it isn't.

Arguments over the records of the UK and EU are quite grotesque when you consider how many people have died here and in European countries. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bovril said:

Don't really understand what that sentence means.

The comparisons are stupid and tiresome. My partner's family are in Bulgaria. They've managed about 20% vaccinated and the Delta variant has just arrived. Honestly can't be arsed right now to watch 10 minute videos from pasty Mancunians when I'm more worried about my girlfriend losing her mind with worry, but I'll watch it and get back to later with my thoughts.

You took the time to post a reply on a football message board though lol

Good man! Haha

17 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The data shows that in the main 20-39 yr olds are mostly responsible for the increase, not teens although their numbers have made an impact.

The same age group that mainly go to nightclubs, which are being allowed to let people in without a negative test or being vaccinated. My thoughts are that this is being allowed to happen simply so the people in that age group contract the virus and consequenly form some sort of imunity to it. It's a bit like vaccinating people without being jabbed.

• Like 2

The after effects of this aren’t the best. I’m asthmatic and needing my inhaler often, id consider myself in good shape physically but I’ve been for a couple of runs this week and unless things get better soon I struggle to see how and when I’ll be back playing football.

I wasn’t particularly bad with Covid initially, just a heavy cold but seems like it’s something that will take a while to get back to normal.

My smell and taste is still ****ed and as a result I’m at the lowest weight I’ve been in the last 13 years so that’s a bonus I guess haha. No point drinking nice beer or eating pudding if I can’t taste it.

Edited by Costock_Fox

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

The after effects of this aren’t the best. I’m asthmatic and needing my inhaler often, id consider myself in good shape physically but I’ve been for a couple of runs this week and unless things get better soon I struggle to see how and when I’ll be back playing football.

I wasn’t particularly bad with Covid initially, just a heavy cold but seems like it’s something that will take a while to get back to normal.

My smell and taste is still ****ed and as a result I’m at the lowest weight I’ve been in the last 13 years so that’s a bonus I guess haha. No point drinking nice beer or eating pudding if I can’t taste it.

I'm asthmatic, alergic to horse hairs/ dust mites but i don't really get it anymore, but have to take seratide twice a day. When this was all starting in the march, my doctor rang and told me they were doubling the dose from a 125 to a 250 and to be taken 4 times a day, i've since heard of a few other asthmatics that had the same thing happen to them, so i wonder if the medical profession had already been warned of what was about to happen. 

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm asthmatic, alergic to horse hairs/ dust mites but i don't really get it anymore, but have to take seratide twice a day. When this was all starting in the march, my doctor rang and told me they were doubling the dose from a 125 to a 250 and to be taken 4 times a day, i've since heard of a few other asthmatics that had the same thing happen to them, so i wonder if the medical profession had already been warned of what was about to happen. 

I had no such advice but I do that over the summer anyway due to my Hayfever. It’s not really out of the ordinary for me picking something up, getting a dodgy chest and then having a period of asthma      , just hoping it ****s off soon.

Understand the need to be cautious but people have to be given hope because it would increase people being sensible. 

Hence I was very pissed with the BBC reporting yesterday ‘COVID cases go up’, yes they went up on yesterday’s but there was drop week to week. They must have been a cocoon for the last year. It’s pretty much useless comparing day to day 

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Understand the need to be cautious but people have to be given hope because it would increase people being sensible. 

Hence I was very pissed with the BBC reporting yesterday ‘COVID cases go up’, yes they went up on yesterday’s but there was drop week to week. They must have been a cocoon for the last year. It’s pretty much useless comparing day to day 

Well, the BBC has simply reported fact, and has relied on the reader to do some research to place the fact in context, which you’ve done!

i take your point, but the Beeb was also reporting ‘cases drop for sixth day’ type headlines too

15 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Another 36% drop yesterday. If we’re following the Scottish pattern that’s developing, that won’t slow down anytime soon. Really encouraging so far.

Got to be the schools, and the kids working out how to rig the tests to get a couple of weeks off.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How many people are either not testing at all or not taking a pcr on the back of a positive lft to avoid not going on their (domestic) hols or having to be off work ??

I'm sure that has to be part of the drop in positive cases 

This exact pattern has been happening in Scotland, who are a few months ahead of us, as per the BBC: 

EF6312B4-1BC8-4D89-941C-F6E33B5A2060.thumb.jpeg.41ebf2fc6560220158dfd252ceab9dc6.jpeg

It would suggest that it’s primarily the school holidays and kids being out of schools that’s driving the case drop. 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

This exact pattern has been happening in Scotland, who are a few months ahead of us, as per the BBC: 

EF6312B4-1BC8-4D89-941C-F6E33B5A2060.thumb.jpeg.41ebf2fc6560220158dfd252ceab9dc6.jpeg

It would suggest that it’s primarily the school holidays and kids being out of schools that’s driving the case drop. 

Or the Scots avoiding testing as soon as they wanted to go on their hols !

I can see hospitalisations…….. and as I said, it’s only a part of it is widely happening. 

Edited by st albans fox