Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, Soup said:

Yet again huge protest's in Paris about the covid passports. Obviously the 74 year old pole vaulter is a more important story for the BBC to cover, value for money right there

BBC wasn't high in my estimation but has absolutely plummeted this last 2 years.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

BBC wasn't high in my estimation but has absolutely plummeted this last 2 years.

Yeah definitely. If this is not news then I honestly don't know what is. 

I stand corrected. They've just mentioned it on the 6 music news, last story.

Edited by Soup

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

When you wheel out Professor Lockdown on the last Sunday morning show until after the summer you know there is clearly a problem.

There has been a lack of a balanced view for many, many months now.

I see cases have decreased again today.  The BBC couldn't wait to tell us about the miniscule increase in the week but today has gone conveniently quiet once again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buce said:

Soldiers on the streets of Sydney.

How comfortable are you Aussies with that? @WigstonWanderer; @Sydney_Blue; @ozleicester

Sorry, late to the party on this one and I can see you have debated this well with @WigstonWanderer. For me it's a bit like damned if you do and damned if you don't. If it weren't for 3500 idiots protesting last week then we wouldn't be seeing this reaction. The police are spread too thin and the people are getting restless. I genuinely see this as extra feet on the ground rather than something malicious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sydney_Blue said:

Sorry, late to the party on this one and I can see you have debated this well with @WigstonWanderer. For me it's a bit like damned if you do and damned if you don't. If it weren't for 3500 idiots protesting last week then we wouldn't be seeing this reaction. The police are spread too thin and the people are getting restless. I genuinely see this as extra feet on the ground rather than something malicious.

Idiots? Jesus. I've seen people over where you are that have lost businesses because you've had 150 cases. Get a grip

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Idiots? Jesus. I've seen people over where you are that have lost businesses because you've had 150 cases. Get a grip

No qualms with people protesting. But during a pandemic there is a right way and a wrong way. Hence I stand by what I said confident that my grip is assured.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soup said:

You're right, "idiots" is a bit strong.

"People unable to comprehend that freedom is a concept that works in all direction, not just their own" is better, though that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sydney_Blue said:

No qualms with people protesting. But during a pandemic there is a right way and a wrong way. Hence I stand by what I said confident that my grip is assured.

But like I've said on here many times the people protesting think differently to you, so the protest is valid whether you agree or not. 

BTW there were many more than 3500 on the demo. That's very clear but obviously your media is the same as ours 

Some good news at home, the cases continue to drop and the hospitalisations look like they MAY be beginning to taper off: 

7446B2C7-FDAA-464B-9BD6-72472F40465E.thumb.jpeg.a3b3c681c0b2079a53f7526a3fe5136f.jpegA564EDBB-24B9-4D94-8392-1BE46B0196F1.thumb.jpeg.e1ddcc43d39aa896bc09f6b711db9701.jpeg

Will be interesting where it goes this week, *could* potentially be looking at being past the peak now. Great news regardless of where you stand really.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Soup said:

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

"On Monday, the ABC’s Mediawatch program took WIN-TV Wollongong to task for running a story on a measles outbreak which included comment from – you guessed it – Meryl Dorey. In a response to a viewer complaint, WIN said that the story was “accurate, fair and balanced and presented the views of the medical practitioners and of the choice groups.” But this implies an equal right to be heard on a matter in which only one of the two parties has the relevant expertise. Again, if this was about policy responses to science, this would be reasonable. But the so-called “debate” here is about the science itself, and the “choice groups” simply don’t have a claim on air time if that’s where the disagreement is supposed to lie.

Mediawatch host Jonathan Holmes was considerably more blunt: “there’s evidence, and there’s bulldust,” and it’s not part of a reporter’s job to give bulldust equal time with serious expertise."

Perhaps Sky News Australia might consider the final sentence, there, when opinion has the power to shape public policy.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sydney_Blue said:

How do you know there is a right way and a wrong way, no one alive has been through a pandemic before, who’s to say that locking down the hatches and hope it goes away will work. No one knows if letting it run rife through a country and then living with the aftermath is right or wrong, it might be a case of suffer sooner than later if the virus carries on for a number of years because potentially everyone could catch it at the end of the day. How does anyone know that in 10 years time Australia won’t still be suffering from the effects of the virus yet the countries that have rampant cases at the moment won’t have any long term problems.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

"On Monday, the ABC’s Mediawatch program took WIN-TV Wollongong to task for running a story on a measles outbreak which included comment from – you guessed it – Meryl Dorey. In a response to a viewer complaint, WIN said that the story was “accurate, fair and balanced and presented the views of the medical practitioners and of the choice groups.” But this implies an equal right to be heard on a matter in which only one of the two parties has the relevant expertise. Again, if this was about policy responses to science, this would be reasonable. But the so-called “debate” here is about the science itself, and the “choice groups” simply don’t have a claim on air time if that’s where the disagreement is supposed to lie.

Mediawatch host Jonathan Holmes was considerably more blunt: “there’s evidence, and there’s bulldust,” and it’s not part of a reporter’s job to give bulldust equal time with serious expertise."

Perhaps Sky News Australia might consider the final sentence, there, when opinion has the power to shape public policy.

Haha it's just a news story mate. Interesting I thought, but you don't think it is. Nevermind 😄

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

How do you know there is a right way and a wrong way, no one alive has been through a pandemic before, who’s to say that locking down the hatches and hope it goes away will work. No one knows if letting it run rife through a country and then living with the aftermath is right or wrong, it might be a case of suffer sooner than later if the virus carries on for a number of years because potentially everyone could catch it at the end of the day. How does anyone know that in 10 years time Australia won’t still be suffering from the effects of the virus yet the countries that have rampant cases at the moment won’t have any long term problems.

If no one knows the right way or wrong way then surely it doesn't make sense to protest the "current" way eh. :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Soup said:

Haha it's just a news story mate. Interesting I thought, but you don't think it is. Nevermind 😄

On the contrary, I think it's extremely interesting so thank you for bringing it up. I'd actually had a look myself this morning.

There's a massive debate going on regarding the role of the media in reporting science and Covid has really shone a light on that. What YouTube did to SNA (a seven day ban) is a part of it.

The media and the way it can shape public policy in any democracy makes for a very interesting discussion on how it communicates science. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

If no one knows the right way or wrong way then surely it doesn't make sense to protest the "current" way eh. :D

I say if people want to protest, let em get on with it, gives em something to do, no ones listening to them anyway..

I've been reading about the Covid pass on the NHS official site. There's an exemption part and this is interesting, 

'Please ask your customer if they can demonstrate their COVID-19 status using the NHS COVID Pass.. This allows your customer to respond with information about a self declared medical exemption.

If your customer confirms that they have a self declared exemption, but is unable to show any evidence, you should allow them access to your venue or event. You must not ask for proof of their medical exemption and it is not essential they show any form of exemption card at any point'

https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/using-the-nhs-covid-pass/#exemptions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

On the contrary, I think it's extremely interesting so thank you for bringing it up. I'd actually had a look myself this morning.

There's a massive debate going on regarding the role of the media in reporting science and Covid has really shone a light on that. What YouTube did to SNA (a seven day ban) is a part of it.

The media and the way it can shape public policy in any democracy makes for a very interesting discussion on how it communicates science. 

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Soup said:

I've been reading about the Covid pass on the NHS official site. There's an exemption part and this is interesting, 

'Please ask your customer if they can demonstrate their COVID-19 status using the NHS COVID Pass.. This allows your customer to respond with information about a self declared medical exemption.

If your customer confirms that they have a self declared exemption, but is unable to show any evidence, you should allow them access to your venue or event. You must not ask for proof of their medical exemption and it is not essential they show any form of exemption card at any point'

https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/using-the-nhs-covid-pass/#exemptions

lol

Cant wait to see all the skin heads clad in stone island telling stewards that they have medical exemptions lol