Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, Soup said:

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

"On Monday, the ABC’s Mediawatch program took WIN-TV Wollongong to task for running a story on a measles outbreak which included comment from – you guessed it – Meryl Dorey. In a response to a viewer complaint, WIN said that the story was “accurate, fair and balanced and presented the views of the medical practitioners and of the choice groups.” But this implies an equal right to be heard on a matter in which only one of the two parties has the relevant expertise. Again, if this was about policy responses to science, this would be reasonable. But the so-called “debate” here is about the science itself, and the “choice groups” simply don’t have a claim on air time if that’s where the disagreement is supposed to lie.

Mediawatch host Jonathan Holmes was considerably more blunt: “there’s evidence, and there’s bulldust,” and it’s not part of a reporter’s job to give bulldust equal time with serious expertise."

Perhaps Sky News Australia might consider the final sentence, there, when opinion has the power to shape public policy.

Its always really important to keep in mind that In Australia Sky "News" is on a par with fox news in the USA. It has some relevant news reporting but in the main is completely biased and following the Murdoch orders... anything shown on there after 6PM can easily be put in the same basket as 911 was an inside job and Qanon information.

The ABC, and mediawatch in particular is 100x more reliable.

lol lol lol lol

Literally just had this come through on my feed.... Sky News banned from YouTube

https://www.outinperth.com/sky-news-australia-suspended-on-youtube-for-7-days/?fbclid=IwAR1eJdreb-kWPoaa1FoWTlyxqj1kVqSefK_7RvHdbCAGdap2FQvmdR90xkE

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/01/sky-news-australia-banned-from-youtube-for-seven-days-over-covid-misinformation

..."Digital giant issues strike after channel posted videos denying the existence of disease and encouraging people to use discredited medication"

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Its always really important to keep in mind that In Australia Sky "News" is on a par with fox news in the USA. It has some relevant news reporting but in the main is completely biased and following the Murdoch orders... anything shown on there after 6PM can easily be put in the same basket as 911 was an inside job and Qanon information.

The ABC, and mediawatch in particular is 100x more reliable.

lol lol lol lol

Literally just had this come through on my feed.... Sky News banned from YouTube

https://www.outinperth.com/sky-news-australia-suspended-on-youtube-for-7-days/?fbclid=IwAR1eJdreb-kWPoaa1FoWTlyxqj1kVqSefK_7RvHdbCAGdap2FQvmdR90xkE

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/01/sky-news-australia-banned-from-youtube-for-seven-days-over-covid-misinformation

..."Digital giant issues strike after channel posted videos denying the existence of disease and encouraging people to use discredited medication"

Sky News Australia complaining about balance on other platforms lol You couldn’t make it up!

17 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

"On Monday, the ABC’s Mediawatch program took WIN-TV Wollongong to task for running a story on a measles outbreak which included comment from – you guessed it – Meryl Dorey. In a response to a viewer complaint, WIN said that the story was “accurate, fair and balanced and presented the views of the medical practitioners and of the choice groups.” But this implies an equal right to be heard on a matter in which only one of the two parties has the relevant expertise. Again, if this was about policy responses to science, this would be reasonable. But the so-called “debate” here is about the science itself, and the “choice groups” simply don’t have a claim on air time if that’s where the disagreement is supposed to lie.

Mediawatch host Jonathan Holmes was considerably more blunt: “there’s evidence, and there’s bulldust,” and it’s not part of a reporter’s job to give bulldust equal time with serious expertise."

Perhaps Sky News Australia might consider the final sentence, there, when opinion has the power to shape public policy.

I completely agree that balance doesn't mean giving a contrary view to everything, especially when that contrary view is based on complete nonsense.  Editorial standards should filter out the nonsense, but unfortunately that is subject not only to bias, but to the desire of producers to create "conversation" meaning controversy and clicks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I completely agree that balance doesn't mean giving a contrary view to everything, especially when that contrary view is based on complete nonsense.  Editorial standards should filter out the nonsense, but unfortunately that is subject not only to bias, but to the desire of producers to create "conversation" meaning controversy and clicks.

I would submit that that is the bigger problem. Commerical media outlets need viewers and advertising revenue. To do that, they must get views and clicks, which means sometimes offering controversy and sometimes offering simply what their base wants to hear rather than the truth in either case.

Unfortunately, the publicly funded media model has its flaws too, and so there's no ideal solution for providing a media agency that provides balanced and truthful reporting all of the time.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I don't know how anyone watches the news anymore, it is so focused on Covid at the expense of everything else.

Al Jazeera (freeview 235) provides plenty of non Covid coverage, but I guess you'll need to have an interest in world affairs. I find it (usually) objective in its output.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anyone else had really sore and aching limbs since the 2nd vaccine? My ankles, knees and feet are fcuked. Almost feels like I imagine arthritis would feel like. 

I’ve had something like this since I had covid a couple weeks ago 

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I don't know how anyone watches the news anymore, it is so focused on Covid at the expense of everything else.

It's better than Sky News sensationalising everything.

Remember about 10 years ago when a house in Leicester, that was a Buddhist temple or something, burnt down?

We had a good 2 hours of live coverage from a helicopter, Kay Burley saying how awful it was.

Then..."We've been told by Leicestershire Fire and Rescue that there are no casualties."

No mention of it ever again. They only gave it attention because they literally wanted people to die.

Plus we aren't talking about Brexit anymore, so that's a plus.

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anyone else had really sore and aching limbs since the 2nd vaccine? My ankles, knees and feet are fcuked. Almost feels like I imagine arthritis would feel like. 

After my first jab, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for 2 days after. Couldn't even go to work.

Booked 2 days off after my second jab, to be on the safe side and I was absolutely fine. Nothing at all.

Hope you feel better soon @Ric Flair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

After my first jab, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for 2 days after. Couldn't even go to work.

Booked 2 days off after my second jab, to be on the safe side and I was absolutely fine. Nothing at all.

Hope you feel better soon @Ric Flair

I was OK off the 1st vaccine. This 2nd one I had 9 days ago. I was bed ridden 48 hours after it and then was OK but these joint pains have remained and are getting worse.

Did lateral flow tests in case I actually had covid and didn't know but negative every time.

I got pinged by the track and trace app yesterday but my wife hasn’t. 

Working it back, it can only be when I was sat in a Costa in Ashby on Saturday, whilst the wife went for her eye test. 

So annoying as I feel perfectly fine and have had negative results from lateral flow test etc 

The sooner they change the rules, the better, as I’m now going to have to cancel football, hairdressers, work travel etc for the next X amount of days. 

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

Working it back, it can only be when I was sat in a Costa in Ashby on Saturday, whilst the wife went for her eye test. 

So annoying as I feel perfectly fine and have had negative results from lateral flow test etc 

The sooner they change the rules, the better, as I’m now going to have to cancel football, hairdressers, work travel etc for the next X amount of days. 

**** that, get on with your life 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sly said:

you have to make a judgment 

check around to see if anyone you’ve been with over the past week is now positive.  If you really can’t find any contact then I would be taking lft tests each morning and carrying on (but being v careful and masking indoors).  But your work may have a different viewpoint re their insurance etc …..

the above is predicated on you being double jabbed plus a couple weeks …….

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Have you? Interesting.

I did lateral flows but came back negative but perhaps I've had covid and not known and this is the aftermath.

How long ago did you have your second jab? I had this very mildly for a while after I had the second.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

A week last Saturday. 

Thought I was imagining it for the most part but I had it for a good few weeks.

Still no sense of smell/taste here and my asthma is showing no signs of easing at the minute but all other symptoms have now gone.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thought I was imagining it for the most part but I had it for a good few weeks.

Still no sense of smell/taste here and my asthma is showing no signs of easing at the minute but all other symptoms have now gone.

Is thst what you've experienced from the 2nd jab or from actual covid?

4 hours ago, Sly said:

It's only an "advisory note" to self isolate through the App. It's not a legal requirement.  We had the same, the day we were due to go on Holiday to Wales.  We assume from having Sunday lunch in the beeches. Had a mild panic that we were going to have to cancel everything and let the kids down.

We took tests straight away, came up negative, then took tests everyday we were on holiday to make sure we weren't putting anyone at risk.  All came back negative. 

It's a judgement call obviously, but with sensible measures, you can almost carry on as normal unless you start to feel ill!

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Hence why so many people have now deleted the app.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I had my 2nd AZ jab in Saturday.  Have generally felt fine, but do have the symptoms you mention.

I did go fora 7 mile run on Sunday morning though, so could be that, although I do ache more than I would expect to from that length run.