Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

40 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Viruses don’t burn themselves out. 

They often mutate to our advantage though which is probably 

29 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I thought the Sars virus around 15 years ago did? 

That was because it was so deadly people died before passing it on.

22 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That's what most often happens, yes. Strains become less virulent and more transmissible,  as Darwin doesn't like dead hosts.

Not always, however.

No SARS-CoV-1 did not burn itself out, we are all still susceptible. It was bought under control and effectively eliminated by simple public health measures - (remember though, elimination is not eradication). Testing people with symptoms and the rapid isolation quarantining suspected cases and restricting travel all had a massive effect. Unlike SARS-CoV-2, it was most transmissible when patients were sick and so by isolating those with symptoms, you could very effectively limit onward spread. Conversely, the current virus, is very efficiently spread before people get sick. This makes traditional symptomatic-based public health restrictions, which worked well in driving down SARS-CoV-1 far less effective in containing COVID-19. 

It would be good if this thread itself was to 'burn out' because it would mirror our return to some normality. The current decline in case rates and hospitalisations reflects the positive/direct relationship with amount and frequency of posts on here and means that it is less active now.

I can't really post anything of worth on here myself because I haven't got the first clue what's going on - other than the fact that vaccinations work....that's it. The school holidays and the summer months definitely play a big part, whilst I think that there's still a high percentage of the public exercising due care and caution. It was the right decision to invite the exit wave before the autumn. I was very dubious about the complete relaxation of restrictions though, which was a risky strategy. We will see fluctuations over the weeks to come, but the current signs are very encouraging.

Worldwide, many of the worst-case scenarios are happening in many countries with poor health care provision and infrastructure and where preventable diseases cause huge losses of life already. It's likely if we see infections fall significantly in the developed world, tragically this is where the virus will remain for many years to come. 

Edited by Line-X

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

No SARS-CoV-1 did not burn itself out, we are all still susceptible. It was bought under control and effectively eliminated by simple public health measures - (remember though, elimination is not eradication). Testing people with symptoms and the rapid isolation quarantining suspected cases and restricting travel all had a massive effect. Unlike SARS-CoV-2, it was most transmissible when patients were sick and so by isolating those with symptoms, you could very effectively limit onward spread. Conversely, the current virus, is very efficiently spread before people get sick. This makes traditional symptomatic-based public health restrictions, which worked well in driving down SARS-CoV-1 far less effective in containing COVID-19. 

It would be good if this thread itself was to 'burn out' because it would mirror our return to some normality. The current decline in case rates and hospitalisations reflects the positive/direct relationship with amount and frequency of posts on here and means that it is less active now.

I can't really post anything of worth on here myself because I haven't got the first clue what's going on - other than the fact that vaccinations work....that's it. The school holidays and the summer months definitely play a big part, whilst I think that there's still a high percentage of the public exercising due care and caution. It was the right decision to invite the exit wave before the autumn. I was very dubious about the complete relaxation of restrictions though, which was a risky strategy. We will see fluctuations over the weeks to come, but the current signs are very encouraging.

Worldwide, many of the worst-case scenarios are happening in many countries with poor health care provision and infrastructure and where preventable diseases cause huge losses of life already. It's likely if we see infections fall significantly in the developed world, tragically this is where the virus will remain for many years to come. 

I still am absolutely shocked India is on the amber list. 

Covid is rampant in India, 1000000s are still beings killed by it and the vaccine programme is for the rich and media entertainment.

Covid is all about politics not deaths

11 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Covid is rampant in India, 1000000s are still beings killed by it and the vaccine programme is for the rich and media entertainment.

Whilst neighboring Pakistan is red. Crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

everything tends to be in the end ……..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Interesting point you make, but - if you know someone who has been hit by Covid - it is not about politics, but the risks it brings to friends and family. Contributors on this forum have been infected, with unwanted consequences,

Having said that, the delta (Indian) variant would not not have been so rampant in UK if travel had been shut down earlier - and that was because Johnson wanted to visit India. Furthermore, less than 10% of Indian population have received two vaccine doses. New cases are now down to under 50.000 a day - but is that due to lack of testing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-58054124

Certainly agree with first point - India should be on red list

8 hours ago, Nalis said:

I thought the Sars virus around 15 years ago did? 

SARS 1 was controlled because infectiousness didn’t start until symptoms started, this virus is infectious two days before you know you’re infected. 

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

this isn’t happening at the moment. Alpha and Delta strain have both been more transmissible and more virulent than the OG virus. Although the more we’re vaccinated or infected, the less of a problem it’ll become. 

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

Interesting point you make, but - if you know someone who has been hit by Covid - it is not about politics, but the risks it brings to friends and family. Contributors on this forum have been infected, with unwanted consequences,

Having said that, the delta (Indian) variant would not not have been so rampant in UK if travel had been shut down earlier - and that was because Johnson wanted to visit India. Furthermore, less than 10% of Indian population have received two vaccine doses. New cases are now down to under 50.000 a day - but is that due to lack of testing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-58054124

Certainly agree with first point - India should be on red list

Would you trust any figures comming ohtnif the Indian government.

My family in the Punjab would say different.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Would you trust any figures comming ohtnif the Indian government.

My family in the Punjab would say different.

Whilst there is no evidence of any variation in strains circulating, there is no reason to now limit travel from India.  The delta variant is now endemic here and having run rampant, people coming here with delta pose no new threat.  However, is there efficient sequencing in India to detect any new variants ?

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Whilst there is no evidence of any variation in strains circulating, there is no reason to now limit travel from India.  The delta variant is now endemic here and having run rampant, people coming here with delta pose no new threat.  However, is there efficient sequencing in India to detect any new variants ?

You've answered your own question

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The problem is that in a country of billions of people there is a far greater probability of a virus mutating and if all starting again. 

Work very busy with covid, and still, every single patient in the icu's is unvaccinated. Not a single one has had both jabs.

When a member of staff goes off with covid likely caught at work it gets harder and harder to not resent the patients to be honest, as most icu admissions now are the deniers and vaccine refusers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Work very busy with covid, and still, every single patient in the icu's is unvaccinated. Not a single one has had both jabs.

When a member of staff goes off with covid likely caught at work it gets harder and harder to not resent the patients to be honest, as most icu admissions now are the deniers and vaccine refusers.

Are any/many changing their minds in there? Or is there still a stubbornness about refusing the vaccine even to the end?

50 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Are there a stream of new cases coming in and filling up the hospitals, or is there a balance in people coming in and out. So, they come in needing hospital help, but can be discharged not long after (week)?  Interested to hear a real world experience rather than relying on media. 

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

One the one hand I can see entirely where you're coming from. On the other hand, there must always be a large proportion of patients in hospital (more so A&E than ICU admittedly) that are 'self-inflicted' through stupidity. Is an anti-vaxxer any worse than say, a heavy smoker, a cyclist without a helmet, a speeding motorist, or some nob playing with fireworks?

Second jab on Monday, can't wait to be honest.

Guest Kopfkino
19 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

One the one hand I can see entirely where you're coming from. On the other hand, there must always be a large proportion of patients in hospital (more so A&E than ICU admittedly) that are 'self-inflicted' through stupidity. Is an anti-vaxxer any worse than say, a heavy smoker, a cyclist without a helmet, a speeding motorist, or some nob playing with fireworks?

A heavy smoker doesn’t pass on lung cancer to the people looking after them, a cyclists caved in skull doesn’t cause the skull of the person looking after them to cave in, someone playing with fireworks doesn’t transmit their burns to the people looking after them. That’s the difference.

I get why people in harms way resent vaccine refusers but the majority had some legitimate concerns that led them to be taken for a ride by a pernicious few. It’s just really sad that they put themselves in a mess listening to cranks

51 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I understand what you’re saying but I think you’re missing the point. 

A cyclist without a helmet has put their own safety at risk. A seriously ill, unvaccinated Covid patient has put themselves and the hospital staff at risk.

Obviously the cyclist could have Covid, but that’s by chance, the Covid patients are there BECAUSE they have Covid. 

29 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

A heavy smoker doesn’t pass on lung cancer to the people looking after them, a cyclists caved in skull doesn’t cause the skull of the person looking after them to cave in, someone playing with fireworks doesn’t transmit their burns to the people looking after them. That’s the difference.

I get why people in harms way resent vaccine refusers but the majority had some legitimate concerns that led them to be taken for a ride by a pernicious few. It’s just really sad that they put themselves in a mess listening to cranks

I didn’t see this when I posted. Completely agree. 

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

Yeah I've said the same thing as this in the past on this thread. Which is what I tell myself when that resentment does creep into my head. On the other hand these patients harm my staff through their own stupidity and selfishness.

It's just been a long 16 months tbh and I think I just need to get out soon, I'm making solid plans to change career now. My mental health is not always ok these days, it's because of nursing and tbh it feels good to acknowledge it.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

My dad has caught it after being jabbed twice

Edited by whoareyaaa

39 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

My dad has caught it after being jabbed twice

having the jab twice doesn't stop anyone from getting it though. Just heavily reduces the chance of severe hospitalisation or death. So hopefully your dad will be fine :) 

• Thanks 1