Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

29 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

sadly.... most people are lapping it up, they want to be told what to do.

Im no conspiracy theorist /covid denier or antivaxer...but...our gvt has just lost the plot and gone crazy with power...to come into our state, you will have to download an app that the police can monitor and see where you are at any time... we are fvcked :(

Jesus that's crazy :(

You need one of these mate :ph34r:

IMG_20210813_161032_115.thumb.jpg.e94b1f65da189c72bef92d0b9ce39f77.jpg

Edited by Soup

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Proves that if you turn your Bluetooth off you are less likely to get covid

18D50CF8-F4CE-4EBA-81FC-6742C5B808E4.jpeg

It's hardly breaking news- the closer you are to infected people the more likely you are to get infected shocker!

• Like 1

The growing number of anti-vaxxers in Oz is disturbing. I even heard of someone I know today cancelling their vaccination after an anti-vaxxer sent them heaps of bogus articles. The gov is saying we need 80% vaccinated to open the borders and travel for any reason. Until then, it's special reasons only. I hope we get there within the next year as I haven't seen my family back in Leicester for over 3 years now. A lot of people in Oz are in the same boat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tomassi said:

The growing number of anti-vaxxers in Oz is disturbing. I even heard of someone I know today cancelling their vaccination after an anti-vaxxer sent them heaps of bogus articles. The gov is saying we need 80% vaccinated to open the borders and travel for any reason. Until then, it's special reasons only. I hope we get there within the next year as I haven't seen my family back in Leicester for over 3 years now. A lot of people in Oz are in the same boat.

I think there are several factors at play regarding vaccine attitudes here in Australia. Firstly there is complacency driven by the last year or more of mostly light or non existent restrictions which gave people a false sense of security. Secondly there’s a degree of hesitancy driven by poor government communication regarding vaccine risks (particularly AZ) and an expectation that catching the virus is relatively unlikely here. Then there’s the true antivaxxers. All this exacerbated by a poor rollout of the vaccine by a lazy and incompetent government.

The first 2 groups I would expect to eventually fall into line, particularly as it appears that keeping the virus contained is now getting more difficult. The vaccine rollout at last seems to be picking up speed.

As for those that refuse, it is my contention that it is only a matter of time before just about everyone is exposed to the virus. You can either get whatever immunity is on offer by being vaccinated or by getting Covid, so sooner or later it won’t matter about them. It is just a shame that in the meantime the immunocompromised, and people who for medical reasons can’t be vaccinated will only get weakened protection afforded by herd immunity.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find it interesting that some left wingers (perhaps the more anarchist leaning) seem to agree with the trumpite right when it comes to travel and other restrictions, and measures like vaccine passports designed to encourage take up. Surely by now it is obvious that there is no way through this crisis in which everyone is free to do as they please?

The way out is clearly charted as through the vaccine, but until then there is only a trade off of lives and livelihoods versus temporary restrictions. Temporary international, interstate and even local travel restrictions are surely the least onerous for the vast majority, and most people here in Aus seem to agree.

The inability of the NSW government to fully accept this is now putting the whole (successful) Australian strategy at risk, and the virus is now it seems seeping into vulnerable Native Australian communities, and threatens to spread to the rest of the country. Some of this is no doubt due to the Delta strain, but the NSW government has been playing fast and loose throughout the whole crisis and it was only a matter of time before their libertarian gambles failed.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

In what way ?

Sufficient number of people vaccinated and the virus under control?

There must be a point of critical mass or a magic number?

I'm not a virologist or a mathematician or modeller, but you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm not a virologist or a mathematician or modeller, but you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

Assuming we’re comfortable with 100 deaths per day (which it seems we are) then if hospitalisations stay within the capability of the nhs to deal with them I suppose it depends if JCVI decides if boosters are required or not. 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Assuming we’re comfortable with 100 deaths per day (which it seems we are) then if hospitalisations stay within the capability of the nhs to deal with them I suppose it depends if JCVI decides if boosters are required or not. 

I thought this was a set in motion? September for the elderly and vulnerable. 

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Current opinion seems to be that vaccines (at least, as long as the virus stays as it is now) will always be needed.  This virus is infectious enough to spread before your antibodies have time to defeat it, which is why so many people who have been vaccinated are still getting it.  The vaccine stops the virus making you ill - usually - but it doesn't stop you catching it.

(Vaccines never stop you catching airborne diseases.  They can't stop you breathing it in.  What vaccines do is train your body to defeat the virus before it gets strong enough to do much harm.)

• Like 1

BBC covid figures page today (they put a new covid related picture up every day). 

Screenshot_20210815_204552.thumb.jpg.48a8cea781b7b81b784437902db653d8.jpg

That shirt is just not funny. We don't need to advertise this sort of insensitivity - especially at the moment given the stories relating to fan behaviour in the press in the past week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm very surprised the club printed that tbh. Fvcking embarrassing at best and borderline offensive at worst.

Oh mate I’ve seen a few of them now. Next time I’ve had a few at a game I might walk up to one of them and ask what their favourite variant is.