Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You'd think it would be to keep this up until everyone who needs to be is vaccinated, but I'm not sure of their speed on that.

Well that doesn’t sound like it’s going very well either.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well that doesn’t sound like it’s going very well either.

Nope. It's Vardy bringing the through ball over the top down superbly but then missing the one on one. Right now, anyway.

Would still take Ardern as a leader over practically any other world leader right now, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Would still take Ardern as a leader over practically any other world leader right now, though.

Haha I heard her on the news the other day advising people not to even talk to neighbors over the garden fence. She's a nutbag

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soup said:

Haha I heard her on the news the other day advising people not to even talk to neighbors over the garden fence. She's a nutbag

:dunno: Her response to the Christchurch shooting was superb, and even though they're not vaccinating nearly as quick as they should be the human and financial cost of Covid per capita in NZ is, I would suggest, much lower than most other countries.

And that's what the metric to be measured really is.

I'd be curious to know which major leader people think has done better and why.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

You'd think it would be to keep this up until everyone who needs to be is vaccinated, but I'm not sure of their speed on that.

Current rate will take them a couple of years from now I think. 

But at some point they will have to open up again unless they're closing their borders for good. And we know the vaccines don't stop transmission.

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But at some point they will have to open up again unless they're closing their borders for good. And we know the vaccines don't stop transmission.

Yep, which is why they really need to step up the pace.

My argument, for the sake of clarity, is that the NZ leadership have, up to this point, made fewer mistakes in handling all this in terms of cost than practically any other nation. Of course, we'll only get a full reckoning if it all once the vaccination programs are completed and the dust finally settles.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, which is why they really need to step up the pace.

My argument, for the sake of clarity, is that the NZ leadership have, up to this point, made fewer mistakes in handling all this in terms of cost than practically any other nation. Of course, we'll only get a full reckoning if it all once the vaccination programs are completed and the dust finally settles.

Totally different ball game for them though, so many factors makes NZ probably the easiest country in the world to control something like this in.

If they were landlocked in Europe for example they'd have basically the same stats as everyone else.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Totally different ball game for them though, so many factors makes NZ probably the easiest country in the world to control something like this in.

If they were landlocked in Europe for example they'd have basically the same stats as everyone else.

Aye, it's possible, so comparisons in such things are always tricky.

I guess given the current standards of international leaders in a crisis such as this, I think Ardern in the tone of her response stands out even if she got a better starting hand than most of them anyway (with less resources on which to call as well though, that's another factor). Or at least I'd be interested to see someone suggest someone better and give their reasoning.

Edit: actually, Moon Jae-in over in Korea is probably a good candidate too considering Korea have kept the virus under wraps for the most part all along (comparatively) and now they're pretty close to having half the total population vaxxed too, with a high daily rate.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

i did think that too initially. but i’m sure i read earlier this year that they don’t plan on being open during 2022. i was meant to fly to aus nov ‘20. still haven’t had my visa application even looked at, so i assume they won’t be open for a while yet 

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Agree - but they also benefit from a very high level of compliance within the populace and buy in from the public. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Ugh. 

I don't want to wish a demise on anyone but you're really begging for some punishment at that level of stupidity. 

It's like playing chicken on the railway.  He's played chicken with covid and won, but now he's encouraging other people to play chicken as well.  I don't much care if he kills himself - that's his prerogative - but going out of his way to encourage other people to kill themselves?  

I suppose he's just a buffoon rather than evil, but it still sticks in the craw.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But now he's had the virus won't his antibodies be as good if not better than the vaccine? 

All depends on the severity of the infection (the viral load)

5 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But now he's had the virus won't his antibodies be as good if not better than the vaccine? 

They probably will because he’s a big fella and he’s clearly had a decent viral exposure. 

but studies over the past few months have shown that the best protection against delta is with those who are double jabbed and had previous covid experience.  So in order to do his bit for society and not be a spreader, he would be best to take the vaccine.  He obvs won’t though 

Just read an interesting article ref natural exposure v vaccine.  It’s pretty much accepted that a reasonable viral exposure will be a much better protection against future infection than a double jab. (Because the natural exposure is to all 28 proteins in the virus rather than the single spike protein ).  

the question now being mooted in some circles is whether allowing the population to be infected post double jab is better than boosters to prevent any infection.  In the end, natural immunity will be a better weapon to win the war against the disease than six monthly boosters. And the expectation is that even with reduced vaccine induced antibody levels over time, infections are unlikely to lead to hospitalisations.  

I would think that as we get into the autumn, the govt will embark on a widespread booster program for the over 60’s and vulnerable. The rest of us will be asked to take our chances and hope that the science is right ! 

I wonder if it would be a good idea for those who have had covid to have blood tests to analyse their T cell/ antibody levels. If they are strong enough then no need for boosters. However, the numbers involved probably mean that it’s easier (and way cheaper)  to just boost that older age group and not worry about whether it’s necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Just read an interesting article ref natural exposure v vaccine.  It’s pretty much accepted that a reasonable viral exposure will be a much better protection against future infection than a double jab. (Because the natural exposure is to all 28 proteins in the virus rather than the single spike protein ).  

the question now being mooted in some circles is whether allowing the population to be infected post double jab is better than boosters to prevent any infection.  In the end, natural immunity will be a better weapon to win the war against the disease than six monthly boosters. And the expectation is that even with reduced vaccine induced antibody levels over time, infections are unlikely to lead to hospitalisations.  

I would think that as we get into the autumn, the govt will embark on a widespread booster program for the over 60’s and vulnerable. The rest of us will be asked to take our chances and hope that the science is right ! 

I wonder if it would be a good idea for those who have had covid to have blood tests to analyse their T cell/ antibody levels. If they are strong enough then no need for boosters. However, the numbers involved probably mean that it’s easier (and way cheaper)  to just boost that older age group and not worry about whether it’s necessary. 

Definitely agree that at some point natural immunity will have to be the accepted method but maybe have yearly boosters for vulnerable?? 

I guess at this stage the fatality rate still might be relatively high (for a cold/flu standard) for vaccinated people, but obviously a lot less than not having a vaccine so it might take another couple of rounds of jabs. 

17 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Are a lot of footballers believing the conspiracy theories then?

Steve Bruce seems to think so.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/steve-bruce-admits-a-lot-of-newcastle-players-have-not-been-vaccinated-covid

This is just absolutely insane, especially given that Lascelles and Joelinton were badly affected in January too. What on earth do footballers think these vaccines are going to do to them??

• Like 1