Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On the game show Pointless, they ask 100 people a question and count the right answers.  100 people were shown a picture of a piano and told it was a musical instrument with 5 letters beginning with P.  98 got it right.  The other 2, I dare say, are the ones who haven't heard of coronavirus.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

That's quite some statement from someone who (I assume) lives in the shitshow that is the UK.

Yeh - I am talking about restrictions. They are completely ridiculous, what is the Australian way out? I saw a news clip of a politician discouraging people from doing online shopping FGS 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yeh - I am talking about restrictions. They are completely ridiculous, what is the Australian way out? I saw a news clip of a politician discouraging people from doing online shopping FGS 

Very much doubt he will be first goal scorer, but I imagine the odds will be attractive. Who does he play for?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

This has been explained time and time again on this thread over the last twelve months or so (and to an extent, on this page) and yet the personal incredulity and opinions stated as fact will always remain or return anew. 

What are the facts then?  What we are told?

Guest bennytwohats
2 hours ago, Buce said:

That's quite some statement from someone who (I assume) lives in the shitshow that is the UK.

Ironically enough I think the UK is miles ahead of Oz with Covid. Vaccine rollout is good and level of immunity is high because of all the shit we’ve had over the past 18 months.

Oz and NZ still hoping to contain the virus is pissing in the wind. By luck rather than by design but I think UK is miles ahead at this point.

12 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

What are the facts then?  What we are told?

Read again the responses on the previous page. 

As I mentioned myself, we know that Delta harbours a mutation associated with vaccine escape - however the extent of this is now thought to be less than previously posited.  Research published last week in the journal 'Immunity' suggests that Delta is not particularly good at evading the antibodies generated by the AZ and Pfizer vaccinations. Their findings help explain why vaccinated people have largely escaped the worst of the delta surge. 

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/antibodies-elicited-by-covid-19-vaccination-effective-against-delta-variant/

This does not guarantee that another variant in the future will emerge with greater possibility for evasion - as long as cases remain high globally, then variants and mutations will continue to evolve. Hence the need for ongoing vaccination.

As you correctly point out, we don't know the extent and duration of antibody protection, but it is very likely that our vaccines can be easily tweaked to respond to this. A pivotal piece of research in the summer indicated that antibody levels remain high nine months after SARS-CoV-2 infection, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. Antibody levels were tracked using three ‘assays’ - these being tests that detect different types of antibodies that respond to different parts of the virus. The results demonstrated that while all antibody types showed some degree of decline the rate of decay was different depending on the assay. The initiative also discovered cases of antibody levels increasing in some people, suggesting potential re-infection providing a boost to the immune system.

Coronavirus vaccine development is largely preoccupied with antibodies that bind to crucial viral proteins and block infection to create ‘sterilising immunity’, which in addition to lessening the severity of an illness, may also prevent infection entirely. Others on this thread, including myself have also mentioned the importance of T cells one of two primary types of lymphocyte - B cells being the second type - that are programmed to determine and 'remember' the specificity of immune response to antigens the body even if antibodies become less effective at fighting the disease. Killer T cells (or CD8+ T cells) hunt for these invaders, whilst 'helper' T cells (or CD4+ T cells) actually stimulate the production of antibodies and killer T cells. T cells could also be more resistant than antibodies to threats posed by emerging variants and it is shown that memory T cells and B cells contribute greatly to long-term immunity and protection. 

No vaccine is 100% effective. An "effective" vaccine is one that saves lives and reduces hospitalisations. The crucial work done by Jason McLellan to stabilize the S protein of MERS coronavirus provided the knowledge to up-front engineer SARS-CoV-2 S protein and this information has been the basis for most of the COVID-19 vaccines in development. But it requires continued engineering of the protein to be an efficient immunogen. Also, vaccine development is currently seeking second-generation vaccines that may elicit a greater breadth of immune response, including mucosal immunity and induction of T-cell responses against a broader set of viral antigens beyond SARS-CoV-2 S protein. It is likely that vaccine immunity to SARS-CoV-2 may not last beyond a year or two and that booster immunisations will be necessary given that the virus will still be in circulation. So it is clear that an enduring vaccination programme is absolutely essential to beating this disease. 

Regarding the latter then, it is absolutely pivotal to our success in driving down the virus both in terms of immediacy and in contrary to your claims, in the long term. Evolutionary biology is now occurring across the globe. The first major shift in the properties of SARS-CoV-2 took place early in the pandemic, back in March and April 2020. Active sequencing and surveillance systems are needed to identify these variants quickly once they arise and following this, the designs of the mRNA and replication-defective adenovirus vaccines can be rapidly adjusted to accommodate the key sequence changes that are present in the new variants. The initial stages of this process are fairly straightforward and can quickly be accomplished. Continuing access to vaccination is key to elimination of this disease. Unfortunately, the realities are that global inequities mean that as some affluent countries are already discussing the rollout of booster shots to their populations, the vast majority of people in developing countries, including front-line health workers have still yet to receive their first shot. The worst served are low-income nations which have received less than 1% of vaccines administered so far. This has created a "two-track pandemic" with richer countries having access and poorer ones being left trailing behind. Inequitable vaccine distribution is not only resulting in millions of people across the planet remaining vulnerable to the virus, it is also allowing the continued emergence of these variants which then spread across the world.

The problem is not the sustainability of a vaccine, rather the increasing divergence in economic geographies with negative consequences for us all. If access to global vaccination/health care was egalitarian then the "race" that you refer to would be decisively won resulting in the widespread elimination of the virus and its evolution together with the subsequent driving down of sporadic pockets of infection across the world. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

Some if you need to give this a read rather than putting your trust into what the tell a vision tells you.

https://puretruth407214157.wordpress.com/2021/06/28/the-great-covid-33-reset-agenda-part-one-predictive-programming/

Check the others out on there too. 

If they’re out to get you, they’ll get you anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

Some if you need to give this a read rather than putting your trust into what the tell a vision tells you.

https://puretruth407214157.wordpress.com/2021/06/28/the-great-covid-33-reset-agenda-part-one-predictive-programming/

"Kobe’s Wikipedia page begins the first paragraph about his death as follows: “At 9:06 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on January 26, 2020, a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter departed from John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, with nine people aboard: Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, six family friends, and the pilot.” This alone is riddled with freemasonic numbers and codes and suggests that it is the usual faked celebrity ‘death’ when they have paid their dues and exit the stage, sometimes for another role."

lol Clown

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

I'm possibly not in the right frame of mind to be responding to this just now, but honestly, wtaf is this shit? Do sane people really take this kind of stuff seriously? With a straight face and everything? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm possibly not in the right frame of mind to be responding to this just now, but honestly, wtaf is this shit? Do sane people really take this kind of stuff seriously? With a straight face and everything? 

Takes all sorts 

I’ve often consoled myself that my kids will do ok in life because there are so many stupid people out there ……

13 hours ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

What amuses me is the Dunning-Kruger driven illusory superiority that almost invariably accompanies shite like this. 

Saying that, posting this link is obviously a lame attempt by an existing member of this forum to troll for a reaction. 

It is astonishing though that there are freaks out there that can squander so much time composing junk like this instead of doing something genuinely constructive  and productive with their lives. And equally, that gullible fools then waste their time and lives consuming and regurgitating it. 

15 hours ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

well that gave me a laugh - cheers

love the bit about the London 2012 Opening Ceremony "predicting" Covid :D

@Line-X this made for interesting reading, especially as they have nothing to gain ( or maybe they do ). Does it have any merit at all? I'm genuinely interested in your take on this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1480245/coronavirus-news-doctors-sign-letter-boris-johnson?fbclid=IwAR3aOgrfCeGcDTYjitL1MxZiHGOsetOPitCr6Gnbsb8Xb2ltuRo56c2d5Ms

Edited by Soup

16 hours ago, lewisanthonymcde said:

Thanks for posting this, one of the best works of fiction I've read since Harry Potter. I loved the cameo of "puppet of Satan Kanye West"!

3 minutes ago, Soup said:

@Line-X this made for interesting reading, especially as they have nothing to gain ( or maybe they do ). Does it have any merit at all? I'm genuinely interested in your take on this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1480245/coronavirus-news-doctors-sign-letter-boris-johnson?fbclid=IwAR3aOgrfCeGcDTYjitL1MxZiHGOsetOPitCr6Gnbsb8Xb2ltuRo56c2d5Ms

I absolutely do think recognition of the need for wider debate and dialogue within the medical and scientific community relating to government policy during the pandemic is a valid concern and that calls for open and full discussion of alternative ways of managing the pandemic are legitimate. What I find astonishing are claims that the covid threat was "exaggerated", and that the role of asymptomatic spread has been "overplayed." I need to read the actual letter at source, because this is after all the Daily Mail. 

What I would also say is that there are "hundreds" of open letters written to the government concerning the Covid crisis - most recently I read one last week expressing concern over the anticipated supposed opening of the floodgates to variants this autumn from similarly qualified signatories. Attach an emotionally charged strapline to this one, and it sells papers and generates hits. 

Truth is, its not hard to drum up that many signatories amongst the medically qualified. We've seen the same appeals to authority through the rallying of maverick climate scientists orchestrated by detractors of anthropogenic climate change. 

That the government based some reactive policies upon a reliance upon flawed modelling and limited consultation is a legitimate cause for concern. However, the suggestion that the threat from SARS-CoV-19 was "exaggerated" or "overplayed" I would contend is nothing short of unprofessional if not reckless and smacks of agenda. In cases like this, I've always favoured evidence based science over sentiment so perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I absolutely do think recognition of the need for wider debate and dialogue within the medical and scientific community relating to government policy during the pandemic is a valid concern and that calls for open and full discussion of alternative ways of managing the pandemic are legitimate. What I find astonishing are claims that the covid threat was "exaggerated", and that the role of asymptomatic spread has been "overplayed." I need to read the actual letter at source, because this is after all the Daily Mail. 

What I would also say is that there are "hundreds" of open letters written to the government concerning the Covid crisis - most recently I read one last week expressing concern over the anticipated supposed opening of the floodgates to variants this autumn from similarly qualified signatories. Attach an emotionally charged strapline to this one, and it sells papers and generates hits. 

Truth is, its not hard to drum up that many signatories amongst the medically qualified. We've seen the same appeals to authority through the rallying of maverick climate scientists orchestrated by detractors of anthropogenic climate change. 

That the government based some reactive policies upon a reliance upon flawed modelling and limited consultation is a legitimate cause for concern. However, the suggestion that the threat from SARS-CoV-19 was "exaggerated" or "overplayed" I would contend is nothing short of unprofessional if not reckless and smacks of agenda. In cases like this, I've always favoured evidence based science over sentiment so perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask. 

Ok thanks for your response. 

You know I oppose strick lockdowns so obviously this did catch my eye haha! 

2 hours ago, reporterpenguin said:

Thanks for posting this, one of the best works of fiction I've read since Harry Potter. I loved the cameo of "puppet of Satan Kanye West"!

I’m reading the follow on blog, and it’s got my new favourite bit: 

old Lizzie Windsor is the world’s number one drug dealer and profiteer 

On 23/08/2021 at 18:39, lewisanthonymcde said:

This is possibly the stupidest post in the entire thread and, honestly, that's impressive. 

Idiot.