Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

23 minutes ago, SlaneyLCFC said:

Australia now gone full on Authoritarianism with a surveillance bill just been rushed through. "Tell us where you are within 15 minutes or we will arrest and fine you just for breathing outside!" CCP

2 weeks to flatten the curve though right?:ph34r:

FB_IMG_1626425151839.jpg

The surveillance bill looks concerning but isn't covid related as far as I can make out from articles. 

Are you able to explain your meme and its relevance to the rest of your comment?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The surveillance bill looks concerning but isn't covid related as far as I can make out from articles. 

Are you able to explain your meme and its relevance to the rest of your comment?

There isn't one.

It's a strawman and not even a particularly good one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlaneyLCFC said:

Australia now gone full on Authoritarianism with a surveillance bill just been rushed through. "Tell us where you are within 15 minutes or we will arrest and fine you just for breathing outside!" CCP

2 weeks to flatten the curve though right?:ph34r:

FB_IMG_1626425151839.jpg

That may be the most retarded meme I have ever seen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

There isn't one.

It's a strawman and not even a particularly good one.

28 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

That may be the most retarded meme I have ever seen.

I don't even understand it, am I being really stupid? 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I don't even understand it, am I being really stupid? 

It would appear that OP believes taking the vaccine gives you the virus, but the valiant antivaxxers are receiving unfair blame for spreading it despite fighting the good fight against this virus-spreading vaccine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Quite a straightforward meme. Was just a light hearted joke at the people who go on about having the vaccine because it "saves lives" and look down on others who haven't had it, don't wear a face nappy out and about and still catch covid after, yet have the audacity to blame people who don't want it. No "owning" or "strawman" as the few claim. 

Very concerning indeed. They are using covid as the excuse for more draconian government overreach.

I personally couldn't care less if you have the vaccine or not. My gripe is others pushing it onto people and wanting it mandatory for the basic freedoms and other things. Same goes for one who don't want it attacking or insulting others who have had it. 

16 minutes ago, SlaneyLCFC said:

Quite a straightforward meme. Was just a light hearted joke at the people who go on about having the vaccine because it "saves lives" and look down on others who haven't had it, don't wear a face nappy out and about and still catch covid after, yet have the audacity to blame people who don't want it. No "owning" or "strawman" as the few claim. 

Very concerning indeed. They are using covid as the excuse for more draconian government overreach.

I personally couldn't care less if you have the vaccine or not. My gripe is others pushing it onto people and wanting it mandatory for the basic freedoms and other things. Same goes for one who don't want it attacking or insulting others who have had it. 

Taking the mick out of fictional people can be fun, yes - there's an entire subgenre of comedy based on that, I believe.

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But you think a facemask is a ‘nappy’ ?

if you have an opinion then own it - don’t say one thing and pretend it means another …..

This. I do sometimes prevaricate myself but it's much better to mean what you say and say what you mean.

I don't generally find myself sharing condescending, poorly conceived memes about topics I don't care about.  Anyway, enough about that, what's the link between covid and the new Australian law?  I've been through 3 articles which don't make it obvious.

14 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

My comments were a somewhat glib reply to a somewhat glib post.

Nevertheless I think you misunderstand. I did not mention where the virus is most widespread, I was talking about hospitalisations and deaths. It’s obviously nothing to do directly with whether people voted republican or democrat. I’m mostly going by what I watched on the ABC program here in Australia called Planet America (usually an excellent analysis of what is going on over there btw) and as far as I can tell there is good evidence that statistically:

- Republican voters are less likely to be vaccinated.

- The epidemic in the US is mostly amongst the unvaccinated.

Do you contend that either statement is wrong?

Obviously the epidemic moves around for all the other reasons that it would normally, but if unvaccinated people are exposed to it there seems to be be good evidence that being vaccinated means that you are about one tenth as likely to be severely affected, or do you think this isn’t the case?

I dare say your comments were "glib".  But to link Republican governors with high covid isn't just glib, it's false.  If I had come on here to state (with factual accuracy) that parts of the UK with nationalist MPs have higher rates of covid than those that don't, wouldn't you think I was making a point about nationalism?  It's nonsense.

Yes, it's ture that many Republican states in the south-east have cumulative covid death rates of around 200 per million, compared with (say) New Jersey, the worst affected, wich is over 300.  I do not say there is any link between New Jersey's high figures and New Jersey having a Democrat governor.  I do not say there is correlation between New Jersy having a Democrat governor and New Jersey having the highest death rate.  I suspect demographic factors are mroe to blame.  

43 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I dare say your comments were "glib".  But to link Republican governors with high covid isn't just glib, it's false.  If I had come on here to state (with factual accuracy) that parts of the UK with nationalist MPs have higher rates of covid than those that don't, wouldn't you think I was making a point about nationalism?  It's nonsense.

Yes, it's ture that many Republican states in the south-east have cumulative covid death rates of around 200 per million, compared with (say) New Jersey, the worst affected, wich is over 300.  I do not say there is any link between New Jersey's high figures and New Jersey having a Democrat governor.  I do not say there is correlation between New Jersy having a Democrat governor and New Jersey having the highest death rate.  I suspect demographic factors are mroe to blame.  

Not sure where I said anything about governors either so I’ll leave you to your fantasies of what I actually said.  Anyway, I’ve explained exactly what I meant and the logic behind it that you completely ignore.

Edit: Actually quite a good article on exactly this subject here in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/31/comparing-red-state-pandemic-response-now-blue-states-early-2020-is-dishonest/

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't generally find myself sharing condescending, poorly conceived memes about topics I don't care about.  Anyway, enough about that, what's the link between covid and the new Australian law?  I've been through 3 articles which don't make it obvious.

Agree to disagree on your description of said meme, yet here you are in a Corona thread? Just a thought :cheers:

Australian citizens protest against covid tyranny (other countries starting to do so as well) Government doesn't approve. Many don't want the vaccine as is their choice. Government doesn't approve. People talk online discussing topics related to it and organisation of protest walks etc. Government doesn't approve.

Voila. Laws rushed through to gain access on these people and find out where they are incase anyone dare go further then their own street and converse/fine/arrest them. 

2 hours ago, SlaneyLCFC said:

It looks like one. That's my "owned" opinion.:rolleyes: 

A climbing harness can resemble a chastity belt or an Elizabethan codpiece...I was never fool or vain enough to eschew one when scaling a 5000ft granite face. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SlaneyLCFC said:

It looks like one. That's my "owned" opinion.:rolleyes: 

Fortunately known science is not a matter of "your opinion"...and your "owned" sense of entitlement is equally irrelevant. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree to disagree on your description of said meme, yet here you are in a Corona thread? Just a thought :cheers:

Australian citizens protest against covid tyranny (other countries starting to do so as well) Government doesn't approve. Many don't want the vaccine as is their choice. Government doesn't approve. People talk online discussing topics related to it and organisation of protest walks etc. Government doesn't approve.

Voila. Laws rushed through to gain access on these people and find out where they are incase anyone dare go further then their own street and converse/fine/arrest them. 

I'm not the one who claimed not to care about the subject?  Nor did I post a room temperature IQ meme on it.  Genuinely unsure what your point's supposed to be...

Opinions and arseholes etc....

Dangerous take.  Peer reviewed science is not on a par with the average joe's opinion, facts don't care about your feelings etc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

You can’t seriously use New Jersey ref deaths as an example?  That was nearly all at the outset of this shitty journey 

neither of you are right btw …… I’m not sure which of you is more right/wrong though !