Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Got it, presumably last Wednesday/Thursday as I’d been testing for work up to that point. Travelled up to Manchester for work, came back Friday and had a positive LFT, positive PCR result came in Sunday morning. 

Lost my sense of smell but not taste, but obviously that affects taste as well so I’m on about half taste lol other than that no symptoms other than a bit of a temperature Friday and Saturday. 

Here’s the issue though: I’ve now tested negative on a LFT. Twice yesterday at 3:30 and 6:30 and again this morning. However I can’t get a PCR or otherwise prove I’m no longer infected, so I’ve got to stay in isolation for another week. I’ve read the rules and apparently this is because I might still be infectious. However, the same rules say if I’m infected up to day 9 but test negative on day 10, I’m allowed to leave isolation??  

It’s extremely irritating to be honest, if I could get a PCR test now, prove its negative and wait another 2-3 days then come out I’d be fine. As it stands it feels like you’re being punished for testing in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Wife lost hers in April 2020 and her toes went numb. Still not returned a year and four months now - can’t see it ever coming back. I never lost any sense when I caught it two weeks after her - it’s bizarre.

So sorry to hear that. Losing your sense of smell is no joke as it accounts for a good deal of the sense of taste as I understand. Hopefully she’ll recover yet.

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So sorry to hear that. Losing your sense of smell is no joke as it accounts for a good deal of the sense of taste as I understand. Hopefully she’ll recover yet.

She never had any sense of taste - she married me.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Talk of an October lockdown whilst the booster jab is rolled out.

Wouldn’t surprise me although will people follow the rules if there is one ?

Part of a contingency plan by the sounds of it. 

Hopefully doesn't happen. Think it's dangerous locking us down again, more and more people will be protesting or ignoring it anyways making the people following it angry too. And in the end pretty much everyone who wants the jab has had it, and if we're still going to be in lockdown after being jabbed then people will start to ask themselves what's the point in taking it. And I know the answer is less chance of getting ill and dying, but when you sell the vaccine as the way out of lockdown, then when the vaccine program is practically finished, it really should mean the end of lockdowns.

Do think the government have shot themselves in the foot by withdrawing the rules around masks on public transport and at the shops though. It was good advice and served as a reminder that it's not over, even if they offered little practical protection, I think it subconsciously kept people a little further apart. People practically hugging me in the supermarket now. :dry:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Wife lost hers in April 2020 and her toes went numb. Still not returned a year and four months now - can’t see it ever coming back. I never lost any sense when I caught it two weeks after her - it’s bizarre.

That's awful. My gf's mum's taste was about 90% gone until she was vaccinated 6 months after infection, her taste went back to normal almost straightaway.

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

That's awful. My gf's mum's taste was about 90% gone until she was vaccinated 6 months after infection, her taste went back to normal almost straightaway.

Like, why aren't any of the side effects ever positive? If it had left me as a bit of a sex god or able to calculate things in my head faster than a computer I'd have been well chuffed - but no, we have to have things like lethargy, tingly toes and loss of taste. It's rubbish. I'm hoping the next pandemic ups its game.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Do think the government have shot themselves in the foot by withdrawing the rules around masks on public transport and at the shops though. It was good advice and served as a reminder that it's not over, even if they offered little practical protection, I think it subconsciously kept people a little further apart. People practically hugging me in the supermarket now. :dry:

made no sense  - we deduced at the time that it was part of their un-publicised policy to get as many people as possible to be infected before the autumn/winter ....any other explanations ??

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

**** that, done my bit, double jabbed, followed most of the rules, worked my bollocks off keeping the country going, they can stick their lockdown.

People would gladly accept it though sadly, they'd be happy to lock down again for another month.

I think this is far from just about a virus now, God knows what else is at play, whether it's purely for £££, climate change, or a combination of things.

Don't really come in here much anymore, too busy enjoying life and for me COVID is over, although it's nice to see the same people arguing about the same things we were 18 months ago lol Hope you're all well :wub:

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Advised by test and trace to get another PCR test but the website won’t even let me?

D77474BA-5D80-4C6E-BB84-09136D2C17A2.png

Are you trying to book a test for today? I had that issue and had to book one for the day after instead.

Edited by Finnaldo

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Before making these propositions, perhaps govt or the Mystic Meg wannabes at Sage ought to consider an evidence base.  Wales for example would be a good start.  Firebreak, last October, extended for a couple of weeks, effective?  Debatable.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Got it, presumably last Wednesday/Thursday as I’d been testing for work up to that point. Travelled up to Manchester for work, came back Friday and had a positive LFT, positive PCR result came in Sunday morning. 

Lost my sense of smell but not taste, but obviously that affects taste as well so I’m on about half taste lol other than that no symptoms other than a bit of a temperature Friday and Saturday. 

Here’s the issue though: I’ve now tested negative on a LFT. Twice yesterday at 3:30 and 6:30 and again this morning. However I can’t get a PCR or otherwise prove I’m no longer infected, so I’ve got to stay in isolation for another week. I’ve read the rules and apparently this is because I might still be infectious. However, the same rules say if I’m infected up to day 9 but test negative on day 10, I’m allowed to leave isolation??  

It’s extremely irritating to be honest, if I could get a PCR test now, prove its negative and wait another 2-3 days then come out I’d be fine. As it stands it feels like you’re being punished for testing in the first place. 

LFTs will only mainly pick up a large viral load and normally in the first 3 days of infection. The fact that your negative on there probably means that your body has less viral load but you could be still infectious. Read somewhere that you’re infectious for the first week to 10 days. 

so for the safety of others I’d ride it out I’m afraid. Not ideal, but see it as an insurance. 

I hope you feel better and can get back to normal soon, but for a few extra days it’s worth it for safety of others. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Advised by test and trace to get another PCR test but the website won’t even let me?

D77474BA-5D80-4C6E-BB84-09136D2C17A2.png

You’re not supposed to take a pcr for a good few weeks after a positive pcr test.  there is a strong likelihood that ‘dead’ virus will continue to give a positive result.  Did the system stop you after you put in your details or is it a general problem ?  Given the guidance, I’m surprised that they advised you to take another test. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’re not supposed to take a pcr for a good few weeks after a positive pcr test.  there is a strong likelihood that ‘dead’ virus will continue to give a positive result.  Did the system stop you after you put in your details or is it a general problem ?  Given the guidance, I’m surprised that they advised you to take another test. 

His first one was negative but others in his house tested positive. My guess test and trace and just making sure. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

@Ian Nacho they're correct. In fact you don't have to take one for 90 days as you may still test positive in that time even if it's a cold/other type of virus. 

Count yourself lucky that you've not been unwell. You've basically got your booster dose with not much issue besides losing your smell and taste and that'll probably keep you protected from infection for at least the next 6, most probably 12 months.