Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 21/08/2021 at 01:50, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

But now he's had the virus won't his antibodies be as good if not better than the vaccine? 

No. Catching it is like only getting one dose of the vaccine. Remember, we need 2 doses to increase our immunity. 

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Spot on Deb.

I know of someone who cheekily used the same code (which were day 2 and 8 tests and were used) from their holiday in June for another passenger locator form when returning from a similar holiday in September to save them buying a new test.

The form was accepted and they didn't do a day two test and nobody has batted an eyelid.

Irresponsible. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Yeah a fair few still wear them around here. I’ll pop mine on if I’m nipping into a shop.

I wear them in a shop, usually I am in a minority. Don't wear them at hairdressers or football. It's a bit vague at the min and everyone does as they feel is right.

I did find it funny in Morrisons the other day. As I walked past a dad with his daughter (who was maybe 6 or 7), she asked her dad why he doesn't wear a mask anymore. His answer being that the virus doesn't exist anymore. Pretty much sums those people up. A 6/7 year old is much smarter and has more logic.

Pretty sure it will be mandated again, should have just been clear instructions to wear them in certain places rather than let people decide.

• Thanks 1

I think a father telling his 6 year old daughter the deadly virus that's consumed the globe and caused more anxiety amongst kids while they swirl round a planet that's dying is gone might actually be considered good parenting. Maybe just me. And I assume the virus is much more deadly in supermarkets than hairdressers for your logic to be unquestionable. 

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Do people still believe this tosh lol 

I'm just quoting a professor in this field. She was on LBC yesterday between 6 and 7 and said just that in response to a caller whose daughter had caught covid and enquiring about whether she needed to get vaccinated . What is this tosh and do you have any sources to back your argument ? 

• Like 1

Actual question: If the rationale in giving 12+ kids the vaccine is because we hope to minimise the disruption that covid is having on their education, doesn't that only work if they then don't have to isolate when they get covid (which I don't think is happening). My understanding, based on events of the last month or so, is that you can still totally get covid after having the vaccine (although transmissability is reduced), but you will get less ill (and kids are already extremely unlikely to get seriously ill anyway). 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone have any idea when the govt will stop publically reporting cases and deaths? Do we need this kind of information pushed down our throats on a daily basis anymore now we are edging gently back into normality?

If there was a focus on reporting deaths at home, rather than Covid, it'd be obvious where the issue currently lies.  Best not shake the narrative though.

2 hours ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Actual question: If the rationale in giving 12+ kids the vaccine is because we hope to minimise the disruption that covid is having on their education, doesn't that only work if they then don't have to isolate when they get covid (which I don't think is happening). My understanding, based on events of the last month or so, is that you can still totally get covid after having the vaccine (although transmissability is reduced), but you will get less ill (and kids are already extremely unlikely to get seriously ill anyway). 

I don't think there is any real evidence of this. 

The vaccine protects the person who has taken it, not the person standing next to them.

2 hours ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

You're asking a sensible question.  Don't expect a reasoned response from Whitty and Co. when they've effectively given the middle finger to the JCVI over this.

We've heard from the trio again today and we're hearing the words "reducing the risk" over and over again.  Broken record.  Don't expect a reasoned, scientific response because you will not get one.  Not on today's performance.

28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

We've heard from the trio again today and we're hearing the words "reducing the risk" over and over again.  Broken record.  Don't expect a reasoned, scientific response because you will not get one.  Not on today's performance.

Yeah, bloody scientists, with their ‘expertise’ and their ‘knowledge,’ wanting to reduce risk. They can f**k right off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone have any idea when the govt will stop publically reporting cases and deaths? Do we need this kind of information pushed down our throats on a daily basis anymore now we are edging gently back into normality?

A few weeks ago, I was asking the same question.

But having caught the train and been to a few football matches recently  ... and seeing how the advice to continue wearing masks in crowded unventilated spaces (such as on trains and on stadium concourses) seems to be completely ignored ... I think reminding people on a daily basis that we're still in a pandemic, might not be such a bad idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Do people still believe this tosh lol 

4 hours ago, enmac said:

I'm just quoting a professor in this field. She was on LBC yesterday between 6 and 7 and said just that in response to a caller whose daughter had caught covid and enquiring about whether she needed to get vaccinated . What is this tosh and do you have any sources to back your argument ? 

there is no hard or fast rule ……having a heavy dose of covid is likely better for long term immunity than double jab.  But there is some evidence in studies that natural immunity followed by double jab delivers a very strong antibody response.  But my missus caught the first version of covid April 20 and then Kent strain jan ‘21. So her natural immunity didn’t work. but mine protected me from catching it off her.  You can understand why the scientists want us to get jabbed to be sure. 

3 hours ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I believe that the evidence is that those who are vaccinated  are less likely to contract the virus - probably half as likely. so it should make some difference. 

some interesting data today that up till early July, only 57 deaths were in the double jabbed who had no underlying serious health condition. 

pretty much a 99% death rate in non jabbed/vulnerable re existing health condition.

i wonder how much lower that is now due to delta …. Would be good to get that data. 

• Like 1

The thing I'm questioning now, is if everyone who is able to get vaccinated has, what else is there left to do other than get on with our lives?

I know we are still some way ahead of many countries internationally and that represents some issues, but as far as I can tell the vast majority of adults who want to be vaccinated are. I assume some late teens-early twenties may well still be waiting for their second jab, but no-one who wants the jab (and can have it) will not have had their 1st now at the very least.

Point being, what justification is there for any further restrictions? I can see some logic in wanting to be a little conservative this winter, but what happens after that? 

Guest Col city fan

Was on a call today at work and found out from a member of staff who works in ITU that, of the current patients on the unit, 90% hadn’t been vaccinated 

90%……

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

The thing I'm questioning now, is if everyone who is able to get vaccinated has, what else is there left to do other than get on with our lives?

I know we are still some way ahead of many countries internationally and that represents some issues, but as far as I can tell the vast majority of adults who want to be vaccinated are. I assume some late teens-early twenties may well still be waiting for their second jab, but no-one who wants the jab (and can have it) will not have had their 1st now at the very least.

Point being, what justification is there for any further restrictions? I can see some logic in wanting to be a little conservative this winter, but what happens after that? 

The capacity in the hospitals needs sorting out.  Another year passes and it's doom and gloom already but nothing is done to address the need for greater capacity within the hospitals.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Surprised we're not talking about Nikki Minaj's cousin's friend's problem bollocks on here to be honest

Someone at my work was refusing to have it because, and I quote, “my auntie got haemorrhoids from the vaccine”. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Was on a call today at work and found out from a member of staff who works in ITU that, of the current patients on the unit, 90% hadn’t been vaccinated 

90%……

Well yeah there was a stat in the metro that only 250 people double vaccinated longer than 2 weeks ago had died of Covid. It’s horrible for them people but I wonder what their condition was in general.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Someone at my work was refusing to have it because, and I quote, “my auntie got haemorrhoids from the vaccine”. 

I mean, they're not FUN, are they, the old Clements, but even if I was bonkers enough to believe there was a link between them and the vaccine, I'd still think the whole reducing the chances of dying thing would make that a chance worth taking.

Might just end up having to ride a bike less, much like Nicki Minaj's cousin's mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

A large concern this winter is the flu, and the lack of resistance within the population due to lockdowns last year, but I assume you recognise that in acknowledge the sense of caution this winter? Beyond that presumably they are working on improving the vaccines both in terms of effectiveness and ease of administration. Scientists will also be continuing to work on identifying new treatments for those who do take seriously ill. There's still unanswered questions, such as how long the vaccines will be effective for, and how widespread and damaging long-Covid is.