Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

47 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well yeah there was a stat in the metro that only 250 people double vaccinated longer than 2 weeks ago had died of Covid. It’s horrible for them people but I wonder what their condition was in general.

I guess they don't want to say so not to put fear into other people who might have the same sort of condition that puts them at high risk even after being vaccinated but I presume it's something to do with their immune system or they have been ill in hospital with something else and caught COIVD without recoving.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well yeah there was a stat in the metro that only 250 people double vaccinated longer than 2 weeks ago had died of Covid. It’s horrible for them people but I wonder what their condition was in general.

One of those people was a relation of a friend of mine. Sadly he had a condition which meant he had already exceeded his life expectancy and he was in extremely extremely poor health at the time. Obviously very sad for the family who didn’t get to say goodbye to him in the way they would have hoped. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Old age and coincidence, I shouldn't wonder.  

These figures were early July, so it'll be different now.  They need to bring out some new figures.  But as it stands, about 1.4% of the population has had covid in the past 28 days, and about 10,000 people per week die in September, so we would expect (if covid makes no difference at all to life expectancy) about 140 deaths per week just by coincidence.  

But I think it's more likely that the number of people double vaccinated who die of covid, are just so old and frail that even mild covid is enough to push them over the edge.  Just as flu and pneumonia does for over 100,000 per year, most of them dying because they are too weak to survive an illness that a younger, healthier person could have shaken off.

27 minutes ago, rachhere said:

One of those people was a relation of a friend of mine. Sadly he had a condition which meant he had already exceeded his life expectancy and he was in extremely extremely poor health at the time. Obviously very sad for the family who didn’t get to say goodbye to him in the way they would have hoped. 

Sorry to hear that .

3 hours ago, ajthefox said:

The thing I'm questioning now, is if everyone who is able to get vaccinated has, what else is there left to do other than get on with our lives?

I know we are still some way ahead of many countries internationally and that represents some issues, but as far as I can tell the vast majority of adults who want to be vaccinated are. I assume some late teens-early twenties may well still be waiting for their second jab, but no-one who wants the jab (and can have it) will not have had their 1st now at the very least.

Point being, what justification is there for any further restrictions? I can see some logic in wanting to be a little conservative this winter, but what happens after that? 

8 x as many covid hospitalisations as this time last year. We went into lockdown when there were 280 deaths a week. Now we're pushing 1000/week. Depressing as that is I think mandatory mask wearing in indoor places would at least slow the spread. Went into lidl today. Hardly anyone with a mask. The leadership of this country is world beatingly bad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think a father telling his 6 year old daughter the deadly virus that's consumed the globe and caused more anxiety amongst kids while they swirl round a planet that's dying is gone might actually be considered good parenting. Maybe just me. And I assume the virus is much more deadly in supermarkets than hairdressers for your logic to be unquestionable. 

A gp on Times radio said he'd wasted time looking for a hairdresser with a mask was proving impossible. Spending 20 minutes indoors in close proximity with an unmasked person was asking for trouble. 

9 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I wear them in a shop, usually I am in a minority. Don't wear them at hairdressers or football. It's a bit vague at the min and everyone does as they feel is right.

I did find it funny in Morrisons the other day. As I walked past a dad with his daughter (who was maybe 6 or 7), she asked her dad why he doesn't wear a mask anymore. His answer being that the virus doesn't exist anymore. Pretty much sums those people up. A 6/7 year old is much smarter and has more logic.

Pretty sure it will be mandated again, should have just been clear instructions to wear them in certain places rather than let people decide.

Agree with much of this. Big difference between hairdressers and watching football, though. Indoors v outdoors. A GP said on the radio tonight that he wouldn't use a hairdresser not wearing a mask. 

3 hours ago, rachhere said:

Sorry to hear that but it’s what I expected   the common scenario might be.

7 hours ago, enmac said:

A gp on Times radio said he'd wasted time looking for a hairdresser with a mask was proving impossible. Spending 20 minutes indoors in close proximity with an unmasked person was asking for trouble. 

I was listening to talk radio a couple of days ago and a GP on there was saying that mask wearing will make no difference as they don't really work. So who knows.  

• Haha 4

A couple of friends of ours got COVID a couple of weeks ago despite having been double jabbed for some time and in better physical condition than most, which although not unusual in itself was a bit worrying as they were both really knocked about by it.

I believe they're fine now, but I'm still being careful - I don't fancy losing a couple of weeks to laying around feeling sorry for myself, I can do that in the evenings

7 hours ago, enmac said:

Agree with much of this. Big difference between hairdressers and watching football, though. Indoors v outdoors. A GP said on the radio tonight that he wouldn't use a hairdresser not wearing a mask. 

Not disagreeing with that in any way. The point I was making is that I seem to go with the flow. I cannot actually remember if the hairdresser wore a mask or not (there was a time they did but they didn't enforce it on their clients, I did ask every time I went in).

As I say, it seems like mask wearing is not really happening (no surprise when no one is really pushing it).

The only thing about football is the mass gathering in the concourse/toilets which is indoors, but the majority of a football match is spent in the open.

• Like 1

Just now, adam said:

Did you miss the GP bit. 

You can phone up and pretend to be anything. I know someone who actually went into the studio on an American radio station pretending to be a member of a band he liked and was interviewed for 10 minutes, just cause he was bored and it was nearby

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

You can phone up and pretend to be anything. I know someone who actually went into the studio on an American radio station pretending to be a member of a band he liked and was interviewed for 10 minutes, just cause he was bored and it was nearby

Well It was definately a doctor. 

39 minutes ago, Raj said:

Any over 50s on here who will take up the option of the booster jab?

Yep. I won't be eligible until at least late Nov, though, as there has to be a 6-month gap from the second jab and mine was in late May.

They'll rightly be starting off with the higher priority cases - those in care homes, extremely vulnerable, 90+, 80+ etc.

My daughter (17) had her jab about 10 days ago. No adverse effects, except a slightly sore arm for a day.

35 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Did you miss the Talk Radio bit?

This is what they do...and this yet again demonstrates the dangers of sensationalist driven media and the associated populist scientifically illiterate audience that doesn't understand appeal to authority or the difference between opinion over fact. 

Regarding the efficacy of mask wearing as a prevention measure, science says otherwise. 

So a doctor on talk radio doesn't count but someone with the same qualifications on Times radio is believeable? Strange. Its pretty clear that masks make little difference in the spread. Especially the type of mask people are wearing. 

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, adam said:

So a doctor on talk radio doesn't count but someone with the same qualifications on Times radio is believeable? Strange. Its pretty clear that masks make little difference in the spread. Especially the type of mask people are wearing. 

Is this an opinion that can be backed up with peer reviewed fact?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam said:

No - the science itself has a voice of its own...and known science is not a matter of belief or opinion. 

I suggest that you understand 'appeal to authority' before you reply again.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority

This is precisely why you'll also encounter climate scientists hunted down to appear on sensationalist populist junk such as 'Talk Radio' that tell you anthropogenic climate change is a hoax. It's also the reason that Dr. Mike Yeadon ("introduced as a laboratory scientist...and stuff"), featured on the station last December and told viewers that herd immunity had been reached in London and the South East. 

Incidentally, Andrew Wakefield was a physician who studied medicine at St Mary's medical school. What's your point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam said:

Its pretty clear that masks make little difference in the spread. Especially the type of mask people are wearing. 

Since SARS-CoV-19 is largely spread via aerosols as opposed to formite transmission, the wearing of masks, particularly in enclosed or poorly ventilated public spaces is hugely significant as a preventative measure. Less so the improvised handkerchiefs or loose fitting surgical masks that I think you are probably referring to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam said:

This is the point 

the cotton face coverings that have become vogue are pretty much a waste of time in protecting you. They will make some difference in protecting others as the bigger aerosol droplets will be stopped from spreading as far compared to not wearing. 

the 3 ply disposable (but can be re worn a good few times)  surgical masks which are extremely cheap now are way better for all of us re bringing down transmission