Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Covid is just another example of people choosing to believe what's less scary over what's inconvenient.  See also: Brexit; climate change.  The opportunity to make the UK a site of negligible infections like other countries have achieved has long since passed, Covid's with us forever now. 

To say nothing of the fact that the consequences of climate change can make what Covid has done look like a pleasant day at the seaside.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

To say nothing of the fact that the consequences of climate change can make what Covid has done look like a pleasant day at the seaside.

But the people who try to make our governments act decisively are just so annoying.

• Like 1

Communication really is the nub of this anti vax thing 

the vaccine will lead to some strange reactions  in v rare cases as your body’s immune system responds to it. It’s not the vaccine that causes these things to happen but your immune system. 

the point that the authorities need to make is that these same reactions are much MORE likely as a consequence of contracting covid as your immune system is fired up to fight a real live virus which is intent on making you its home.  And these reactions are likely to be more intense with a real covid exposure rather than an education to a spike protein.  Those who had a notable and unpleasant response to the jab need to be thankful that they didn’t catch covid. 

so if you don’t take the vaccine, then you’d better make sure that you don’t catch the virus. Given that the virus isn’t going anywhere and will be with us for years to come, what are the chances that you won’t catch it?.  

Italy is to make it compulsory for all workers to have a Covid "green pass" - proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus.

The measures are a first for Europe and some of the strictest in the world.

Anyone without a pass will reportedly face suspension from work and may have their pay stopped after five days.

The measure, due to come into force on 15 October, aims to boost vaccinations in a country that has been badly hit by the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58590187

:blink:

14 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Italy is to make it compulsory for all workers to have a Covid "green pass" - proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus.

The measures are a first for Europe and some of the strictest in the world.

Anyone without a pass will reportedly face suspension from work and may have their pay stopped after five days.

The measure, due to come into force on 15 October, aims to boost vaccinations in a country that has been badly hit by the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58590187

:blink:

France are going the the same way for govt workers and have done so for health/care sector 

the states are doing so for govt workers

we are way less authoritarian here but that’s still a problem for many ……

I see George Eustace has said that we could still have another full lockdown if a vaccine evasive variant strikes. Seems to have led to some outcry but not sure what other option the govt would have in that situation?? 

Edited by st albans fox

Wandered past the anti-vax demo in Jubilee Square yesterday.

Great to have weirdos with beer in one hand and fag in the other coming up to us telling us not to let our kids have the vaccine, and then when we ignored them, address the children in our group (ages 6-12) directly: "don't take the poison kids!!!"

Luckily the kids thought they were total freaks and weren't intimidated, and we had a laugh about it

Just got pinged by test and trace, along with my family. Must've been from our flight home on Friday. Done a lot and been out and about since then.

Edit- didn't realise I don't have to isolate as I've had the vaccine. That's alright then.

Edited by Kopic

6 hours ago, Kopic said:

Just got pinged by test and trace, along with my family. Must've been from our flight home on Friday. Done a lot and been out and about since then.

Edit- didn't realise I don't have to isolate as I've had the vaccine. That's alright then.

I think you’re supposed to take LFT’s to make sure you’re not positive ??

On 19/09/2021 at 08:28, Bellend Sebastian said:

Wandered past the anti-vax demo in Jubilee Square yesterday.

Great to have weirdos with beer in one hand and fag in the other coming up to us telling us not to let our kids have the vaccine, and then when we ignored them, address the children in our group (ages 6-12) directly: "don't take the poison kids!!!"

Luckily the kids thought they were total freaks and weren't intimidated, and we had a laugh about it

Pro choice… unless it’s the opposite of their opinion of course.

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seems to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm from parents in year 9 for their kids to be vaccinated 

anyone got different feedback in the 12-15 age group ??

Mixed bag here. My 13 year old declared last night that he wanted the vaccine. 

We had a decent chat about the pros and cons of it and then looked up the data in our local area - 100 positive cases/0 deaths/3 hospital admissions. This in an area of about 400,000 people. 
Told him to look again over the next few days and then see how he feels. 

But there’s certainly no rush from parents to get their kids vaccinated here. 

Our youngest caught the virus in July with absolutely zero effects, and I’m kind of assuming that the older one has likely had it, too. 

Because it’s been so prevalent in schools, maybe most parents feel that their kids have been exposed to it/likely had it already? 

Had a chat this morning with a friend of mine who lives in Amsterdam and he was shocked that we still had 30k odd cases - he said something along the lines of “It must be terrible for you guys over there, are people scared and rioting in the streets?”

I told him it barely gets a mention on the news these days, most things are completely normal  and there are days when you just have a bit of ‘did that really happen’ flashbacks about the whole thing. 

Maybe this is a lull before the winter storm, or maybe this is us back to where we were (ish), but at the moment the majority of people just seem to getting on with it.  

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Seems to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm from parents in year 9 for their kids to be vaccinated 

anyone got different feedback in the 12-15 age group ??

My daughter is in year 10 and really wants the vaccine as she still wears her mask pretty much all the time. She's got MH issues and has been paranoid about Covid since day 1, so I think her having the vaccine will put her mind at rest. I'm quite happy for her to have it if/when available.

My son is in year 8 and had Covid a few months ago. He doesn't give a shit either way and I won't force him to have the vaccine if he doesn't want it.

If getting all kids vaccinated helps the greater good then I think we should do it.

They all have vaccines for MMR when they're younger anyway so I'd don't see the difference really.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

My daughter is in year 10 and really wants the vaccine as she still wears her mask pretty much all the time. She's got MH issues and has been paranoid about Covid since day 1, so I think her having the vaccine will put her mind at rest. I'm quite happy for her to have it if/when available.

My son is in year 8 and had Covid a few months ago. He doesn't give a shit either way and I won't force him to have the vaccine if he doesn't want it.

If getting all kids vaccinated helps the greater good then I think we should do it.

They all have vaccines for MMR when they're younger anyway so I'd don't see the difference really.

The difference is that people still worry that it’s not been extensively tested to see what impacts it has over a number of years. And they aren’t prepared to give it to their kids when they are almost certain that their kids won’t suffer from the virus. As adults we are aware that we have an increased risk and we weigh up everything in our decision.  The MMR is different because those diseases absolutely do impact on children.   Your daughter is clearly in a different situation. 

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The difference is that people still worry that it’s not been extensively tested to see what impacts it has over a number of years. And they aren’t prepared to give it to their kids when they are almost certain that their kids won’t suffer from the virus. As adults we are aware that we have an increased risk and we weigh up everything in our decision.  The MMR is different because those diseases absolutely do impact on children.   Your daughter is clearly in a different situation. 

The thing is with vaccines is that the side affects are mostly always quite soon after the vaccine. i.e. within a couple of months. Narcolepsy in H1N1 vaccine (1 particular type of vaccine). Temporary Low platelet clotting issue with MMR vaccine etc.

When you consider that in the USA alone over 220 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine have been administered and most of that more then 2 or 3 months ago we've largely seen what the impacts of the vaccine already are. 

Personally if anything the blood clot issue with the Astrazeneca vaccine has reassured me that as soon as any detection of any possible links to serious side affects (even though coronavirus is much more likely to cause clotting) are found they will make the required adjustments to policy.  Although he is way to young (4) at the minute I would be happy to give the vaccine to my son if they recommended it but that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day when it comes to kids parents are going to do what they think is right and no one can claim they're wrong

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Had a chat this morning with a friend of mine who lives in Amsterdam and he was shocked that we still had 30k odd cases - he said something along the lines of “It must be terrible for you guys over there, are people scared and rioting in the streets?”

I told him it barely gets a mention on the news these days, most things are completely normal  and there are days when you just have a bit of ‘did that really happen’ flashbacks about the whole thing. 

Maybe this is a lull before the winter storm, or maybe this is us back to where we were (ish), but at the moment the majority of people just seem to getting on with it.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58627764

I've just been reading this article and when you digest the numbers you start to think is the NHS so understaffed and overwhelmed that 11 covid patients in one ICU can't be catered for. Another hospital in wales saying that about half of it's 12 covid patients are vaccinated! surely it's not that difficult to give an exact figure when you're talking about 12 people, ok, 30,000 you'd expect an estimate, but 12!   

10 hours ago, Milo said:

There have been 256.7 million tests conducted in the UK since March of last year.  In the Netherlands this figure is 12.7 million.

In the last 3 months, 77.5 million compared with 2.3 million.

That tells you all you need to know.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Man I feel woeful. Done two LFT both negative but it’s like I’ve been hit by a bus. Headaches, body aches, deep chesty cough, blocked nose etc.

prpbably a cold but I’ve not had one in so long I’ve no idea what it felt like before 

Mate, I feel the same.

I think it’s because we’ve not had a common cold for nearly 2 years. It’s really affected me.

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Man I feel woeful. Done two LFT both negative but it’s like I’ve been hit by a bus. Headaches, body aches, deep chesty cough, blocked nose etc.

prpbably a cold but I’ve not had one in so long I’ve no idea what it felt like before 

I had this last week, absolutely pole axed me for 7 days, literally thought I was dying. Lateral flow tests all negative and a cough so bad I tried to go doctors only to be sent for a pcr test which was also negative.... First cold or flu in 2 years as others have said so it's worse than I remember