Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Man I feel woeful. Done two LFT both negative but it’s like I’ve been hit by a bus. Headaches, body aches, deep chesty cough, blocked nose etc.

prpbably a cold but I’ve not had one in so long I’ve no idea what it felt like before 

I had the same since Saturday. Fairly sure it’s a bad cold. Normally I get a runny nose for a few days then a cough for another couple of days but never feel ill. This week started with a sore throat then Sunday energy sapped, full of cold and now a violent chesty cough (I do usually get but seems worse this time). Done LFT as usual and every day since all negative. Working from home and got an invite from the Zoe study for a pcr. Took it as my cough is worse than a normal cold cough and my chest hurts, just in case so waiting results. But 99% convinced that it’ll be negative and just a cold that’s hit me hard. It’s a hazard of working in education.

Thankfully (as I like my food) taste and smell is fine. Science involved ordering a McDonalds delivery just to make sure. Haha. That seems to be the most common thing that I’ve read/heard that makes it deffo covid as that happened to every single person I know who’s had it. 

I blame lack of mask wearing and new school year germs. As we’ve been so careful up until now, bugs are now having a field day. Think I read somewhere that the Norovirus is circling as well. Bloody best not get that! Happens every year, I get a cold in September but this one is the worse I had for a long time. I call it new term germs. 

Edited by fox_favourite

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

This could be one of the stupidest first lines of a tweet I've ever seen 

Of course it's not but there are positives to come from this. We now have much less demand for office workers to commute, so has been beneficial to the environment. I would have thought more people take hygiene seriously now too

Also if it wasn't for Covid, we'd never have had the Handforth Parish Council meeting video, or "I'm not a cat"

Looks very much like hospitalisation stats are topping out post freedom day. Excellent news and credit where it’s due for taking this step before winter, a step I confess to being somewhat nervous about at the time.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Are things really more or less back to normal now over there?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

20 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Looks very much like hospitalisation stats are topping out post freedom day. Excellent news and credit where it’s due for taking this step before winter, a step I confess to being somewhat nervous about at the time.

I’ll be interested to knows others’ responses to this. For me, I’m still wearing a mask in supermarkets and still working from home full time.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yeah pretty much. Minimal mask wearing, some people working from

home being encouraged back to the office, Full stadiums, full arenas etc.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This could be one of the stupidest first lines of a tweet I've ever seen 

16 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

In what way did they think that was a good tag line. Ridiculous 

They know exactly what they are doing - it's bait pure and simple.

• Like 1

I hope things can get truly back to the old normal. I am a bit worried about a possible lingering bureaucracy of paper filling for its own sake and going through the motions of things that no longer really matter.

Here in Perth, in our walled garden, we’ve had normality all the way through, but we will unfortunately have to go through a phase of some restrictions and lockdowns at some stage in order to protect our health services as the virus takes hold, I’ve no doubt. Hopefully we can delay this phase until everyone who wants a vaccine has had one, and then get through it as quickly as possible.

The delta variant and some bungling, particularly from the NSW government has put paid to zero Covid over east and they’ve ended up in extended lockdowns, so it’s only a matter of time before the same happens here, but in any case, we can’t stay walled off forever. Hoping we can get to Christmas and face this in the new year.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I'm sure that they are - but the question is how long does that take ??  next spring could be optimistic - no one knows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I'm sure another Ferguson projection will see to it that this is prolonged as much as possible.

Are we at 200k cases a day yet?

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm sure another Ferguson projection will see to it that this is prolonged as much as possible.

Are we at 200k cases a day yet?

Probably …… well half that anyway ! 

I imagine a lot of people aren’t bothering to test if they feel a bit off colour.  We know that there will be a lot of asymptomatic infections amongst the inoculated

his worst case numbers were clearly over inflated but the published daily case numbers are very much understated 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Probably …… well half that anyway ! 

I imagine a lot of people aren’t bothering to test if they feel a bit off colour.  We know that there will be a lot of asymptomatic infections amongst the inoculated

his worst case numbers were clearly over inflated but the published daily case numbers are very much understated 

You're being overly generous to the guy there tbf.

How about this?

image.png.3edaeda42befccad52f220a43a9fa55a.png

"Out by a Ferguson" lol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

You're being overly generous to the guy there tbf.

How about this?

image.png.3edaeda42befccad52f220a43a9fa55a.png

"Out by a Ferguson" lol

it’s brilliant that we are under shooting the 1.1 line. 

however, that’s not a surprise given that the R rate has, since the end of July been estimated to be generally between 0.9 and 1.1.  The 1.1 line and it’s shading were probably a fairly accurate forecast . The success of the vaccines has meant that R has undershot their best case prediction a little. 

I’m intrigued to know if the people bashing the forecasts are generally the same people who have refused to be vaccinated?  

had everyone taken that stance, we would easily be in the worst case scenario region 

On 22/09/2021 at 22:55, WigstonWanderer said:

Cases are back on the rise after a slight dip. So we will see over the next few weeks how that translates to hospitalisations/deaths.

I think that people are being re-infected but having had it before and the jab just makes you suffer less and less the more you catch it. I think once it has ripped through the population a few more times it will become more manageable like the flu. The vulnerable will always be at risk but much better protected than 18 months ago. The problem this year will be the other viruses circulating without a body's immune system being used to it after over a year locked away.

We should be in a much better position once over this winter. In theory.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Appears the case spurt though is a symptom of the increased testing with education returning at all ages now. Realistically it tells how much we've been living with it but it's not been identified 

It did initially. The trend from start of September was very similar in cases and tests but the last week or so, test have remained steady while cases have shot back up. Hard to say why at this point.

On 24/09/2021 at 09:13, KrefelderFox666 said:

The problem this year will be the other viruses circulating without a body's immune system being used to it after over a year locked away.

Anecdotally there appear to be large numbers of schoolkids suffering a rather nasty flu/chest infection thing (but testing negative for covid).

Both my kids and my ex have covid now.  My son tested positive at first and was left to just roam round the house and mix with everyone. 

"I'm not locking him in his room like he's in prison"..... 

Now everyone in the house has it and suffering a bit. 

I'm not sure what the issue was, he's 12, he spends the majority of his time in his room anyway!! 🤣🤣

40 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Anecdotally there appear to be large numbers of schoolkids suffering a rather nasty flu/chest infection thing (but testing negative for covid).

My lad is one of them. Pretty grim cough and there was a Covid cluster outbreak in his year. 

Tested him at home, which was negative, and then did a PCR test which also came back negative. 

Bit better today, but it’s lasted about a week.