Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

Anecdotally there appear to be large numbers of schoolkids suffering a rather nasty flu/chest infection thing (but testing negative for covid).

Yh, both my young kids were off school/nursery week before last. Just about shaking it off now. Wife was also ill but I seemed to avoid it (touch wood), although I am a bit sniffly now. Kids both tested negative. I do weekly LFT's and negative too.

6 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yh, both my young kids were off school/nursery week before last. Just about shaking it off now. Wife was also ill but I seemed to avoid it (touch wood), although I am a bit sniffly now. Kids both tested negative. I do weekly LFT's and negative too.

Yep, I work in education and had similar cold that wiped me out for a few days, then went on my chest for another few. Negative LFTs (twice weekly and extra ones in between) and Negative PCR. Wife had it for 3 days then was fine and my youngest had similar for under a week. Very one negative. A colleague had the same, again tested Negative twice on PCR. Just a nasty bug. Still hoping to avoid the Norovirus that is doing the rounds as well. 

Edited by fox_favourite

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seriousy - 48 hours + without a post must mean its finished!

if only we'd realised that all it needed was a fuel shortage !

was thinking the same - the thread has been very quiet.

I've spent the last couple of days feeling crap, with a cough and runny nose. Probably just a cold - home test was negative but just went to the testing site to be sure.

tbf I was at Butlins on the 80's music festival event at the weekend - and there was not much distancing involved there!

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58743252

Of course the anti-vaxxers will scream bloody murder about "censorship", but then they were never going to get onside on this anyway so there's nothing really to lose and something to gain from doing it. Good move.

As much as I understand your sentiment, Mac, this leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

Supposing the 'other side' had control over media content and censored accordingly; would you feel the same then?

46 minutes ago, Buce said:

As much as I understand your sentiment, Mac, this leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

Supposing the 'other side' had control over media content and censored accordingly; would you feel the same then?

It would depend if the information  involved was scientifically accurate and whether or not misinformation from it could threaten people's health and lives, really.

I can certainly understand the slippery slope argument here and it is valid and needs to be accounted for carefully by making sure each individual situation like this is chosen on its merits, but for me the consequences of letting such misinformation run wild are potentially much worse than suppressing it - indeed, it might even result in such upheaval that it brings in a brutally repressive/authoritarian regime to "reassert control" anyway; the very thing that needs to be avoided.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Removing stuff that is proven to be misinformation seems a wise choice to me. This isn't a china or north korea situation where they're controlling the news to suit a political agenda. This is stopping people being fed information that if taken, will jeopardise their health and those around them.

12 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Removing stuff that is proven to be misinformation seems a wise choice to me. This isn't a china or north korea situation where they're controlling the news to suit a political agenda. This is stopping people being fed information that if taken, will jeopardise their health and those around them.

Devil's advocate but to who's level of 'proof' is this being measured?

This is my truth. Tell me yours.

I don't really care about the media and popularised commercial news outlets anyway; I tend to think for myself (a dying habit).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I don't really care about the media and popularised commercial news outlets anyway; I tend to think for myself (a dying habit).

I guess my example would be, if a corner of the internet said that the only way to protect children under 6 from covid was to hold them down in a bath of boiling water for 2 minutes and some nutters believed it. Would it be in the best interest of those children to allow that obvious misinformation to be spread.

Their truth is that it works. Science says, you'll probably cook them and most definitely drown them. 

I know what you're thinking, how do you do that without burning yourself? Probably use a broom handle, or you might be able to buy a special tool for £4.99. "Details below this video".

Edited by filbertway

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I guess my example would be, if a corner of the internet said that the only way to protect children under 6 from covid was to hold them down in a bath of boiling water for 2 minutes and some nutters believed it. Would it be in the best interest of those children to allow that obvious misinformation to be spread.

Their truth is that it works. Science says, you'll probably cook them and most definitely drown them. 

I know what you're thinking, how do you do that without burning yourself? Probably use a broom handle, or you might be able to buy a special tool for £4.99. "Details below this video".

Video and tool didn't load mate. I'm sat here, credit card in hand....

• Haha 1

Quite frankly, as someone with a keen interest in science and in the future, what I've seen from the last couple of years regarding scientific misinformation and the willingness of people to act on it because it serves their own interest right then terrifies me.

The Earth can and will be brutally and utterly unforgiving of us not using our heads, figuring out how it works and, most importantly, utilising that knowledge to defend ourselves. Covid was just a little taste of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone had the COVID booster vaccination yet?

I just got a text inviting me to have it and also the flu jab at the same time.

I didn’t even realise the COVID booster jab was available yet. 

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve had a third; got it last week due to medication I was on at the time of my second. I’m also apparently in line for a booster in 6 months’ time.

I reckon by then I’ll have had so much Pfizer injected into me that I’ll qualify for a German passport.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Izzy said:

if you’re over fifty and more than six months since your second jab, you should be contacted 

maybe if you’re due a flu jab they want to do them together so you’ll be less than six months ???

20 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Supposed to be no worse than a common cold after Christmas.....

That’s a theory from some respected profs but I believe they were speaking about spring onwards (and it was a possibility rather than a prediction) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

It's a good point in Ireland the ira are generally viewed as freedom fighters in England they are generally viewed as terrorists. Who's spreading miss information there? Who gets to decide?

6 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

It's a good point in Ireland the ira are generally viewed as freedom fighters in England they are generally viewed as terrorists. Who's spreading miss information there? Who gets to decide?

Why do you assume that just because some things get banned from online media's (the most extreme and obvious things I'll add) that everything somehow has to have one side banned? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

What you see depends on where you stand.

What you hear depends on who you listen to.

Etc.

37 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

What you see depends on where you stand.

What you hear depends on who you listen to.

Etc.

A fair point when it comes to social matters, but not, I deem, when it comes to peer reviewed science, which is the closest thing to objective humans have at the present time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

A fair point when it comes to social matters, but not, I deem, when it comes to peer reviewed science, which is the closest thing to objective humans have at the present time.

Agreed; so for those in this thread who are consuming all the latest top-grade scientific fault from the faultless scientists can never be wrong. 

Except:

a) None of us are in that position and no one could be expected to be.

b) Scientists actually often disagree; they might have the same data; but conclusions and projections don't have to be the same.

This is very much the danger in assuming there is absolute fact and that the opinion you choose to believe is the one which is fact (and everyone else's is a lie) 

But I think I've laboured this point long enough now.

27 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Agreed; so for those in this thread who are consuming all the latest top-grade scientific fault from the faultless scientists can never be wrong. 

Except:

a) None of us are in that position and no one could be expected to be.

b) Scientists actually often disagree; they might have the same data; but conclusions and projections don't have to be the same.

This is very much the danger in assuming there is absolute fact and that the opinion you choose to believe is the one which is fact (and everyone else's is a lie) 

But I think I've laboured this point long enough now.

I understand this epistemological argument and it has merit, but if you follow it to its logical conclusion then no one can be certain enough of anything to do anything.

Not great when a virus is rampaging through a population and the global temperature is rising horribly.

At some point, you have to trust the conclusions that you have made and act on them - and the scientific method allows us to do that.

Edit: I'd suggest that @Line-X
approaches the level of scientific rigour demanded here.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1