Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 21/09/2021 at 17:29, SystonFox said:

Man I feel woeful. Done two LFT both negative but it’s like I’ve been hit by a bus. Headaches, body aches, deep chesty cough, blocked nose etc.

prpbably a cold but I’ve not had one in so long I’ve no idea what it felt like before 

There's a really nasty virus going round, we have lots of nurses off sick, not covid. Feel better soon.

Edited by z-layrex

4 hours ago, Line-X said:

Travel Lodge was the extent of my budget unfortunately. 

"What do we want?"

"A fair day's pay for a fair day's boffining!"

"When do we want it?"

"After we have a peer-reviewed viability analysis!"

R5p9G94.gif?noredirect

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I understand this epistemological argument and it has merit, but if you follow it to its logical conclusion then no one can be certain enough of anything to do anything.

Not great when a virus is rampaging through a population and the global temperature is rising horribly.

At some point, you have to trust the conclusions that you have made and act on them - and the scientific method allows us to do that.

Edit: I'd suggest that @Line-X
approaches the level of scientific rigour demanded here.

So if two scientists (who I think we've established are beyond reproach and must be trusted regardless) have polar opposite views having studied the same date; which one do you believe? After all, both of them have to be right?

THERE IS NOT COMPLETE CONSENSUS ON MANY THINGS AMONST THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY. 

I can't believe I've been coaxed back. I'm going to go and have a lie down whilst you all collude to find another way to patronise and dismiss anyone willing to think for themselves.

• Like 2

Climate change is an area where many respected scientists have interpreted the exact same data in completely different ways.

This is my truth. Tell me yours?

I'm not trying to be confrontational either; I'm just not entirely sure where the confidence comes from. I think if you asked them to be brutally honest on Covid19; most scientists would admit that a) they don't really know and b) lots of the 'facts', projections and modelling put out by well respected scientists has been shown to be complete guff.

Granted its much better than the facebook idiots and conspiracy theorist loons; but I think that goes without saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Climate change is an area where many respected scientists have interpreted the exact same data in completely different ways.

I'm not trying to be confrontational either; I'm just not entirely sure where the confidence comes from. I think if you asked them to be brutally honest on Covid19; most scientists would admit that a) they don't really know and b) lots of the 'facts', projections and modelling put out by well respected scientists has been shown to be complete guff.

Granted its much better than the facebook idiots and conspiracy theorist loons; but I think that goes without saying.

Fair enough.

Personally I think we know a fair bit more about climate change and how that might play out than Covid, given the respective timeframes we've had to research each one, and I do think there's a broad scientific consensus there, but that's me.

I'm confident in the scientists figuring these things out not because of any blind faith in them, but because I think they represent the best stab at the truth that we have at the present time - and if and when we find out more information to draw different conclusions, that truth and how we should act on it could change.

In the case of climate change on my part, I guess you might call it a call to urgency rather than confidence, because if the current information we have is correct then time is a critical factor and we don't really have much more of it to increase our level of certainty beyond what it already is and not act upon what we know. That tends to be why I take the line of "we might discuss this, but the certainty is good enough for me and we need to act much much more" on the topic on here.

Spare me the book next time; I've read all that and many of my points have just been side-stepped here. I'm beginning to believe you have a word document repository of condescending, fairly meaningless paragraphs and just select one at random to answer any point made.

Let's just agree to disagree and ponder and lament the fact that its a shame that given the infalliability of science, we still have problems such as the climate crisis, pandemics, famine etc etc. 

Forgive us mere mortals for daring to show interest or raise a question. Still; at least if any of us feel the need to be belittled and patronised, we know exactly where to come.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Spare me the book next time; I've read all that and many of my points have just been side-stepped here. I'm beginning to believe you have a word document repository of condescending, fairly meaningless paragraphs and just select one at random to answer any point made.

Let's just agree to disagree and ponder and lament the fact that its a shame that given the infalliability of science, we still have problems such as the climate crisis, pandemics, famine etc etc. 

Forgive us mere mortals for daring to show interest or raise a question. Still; at least if any of us feel the need to be belittled and patronised, we know exactly where to come.

Blimey - what a strange response. That wasn't my intention at all - you don't normally seem this sensitive. The length of the post is solely because I took an interest in your comments, that's all, no belittlement and I have no idea why you claim that? I welcome the points that you raise which are very valid and pertinent. 

Condescension? How's this -

On 30/09/2021 at 10:41, The People's Hero said:

I can't believe I've just typed all that out. Its all just a jumble of letters to you lot isn't it? 

• Like 2

I was frustrated because its just an echo chamber in here. Unless you agree with the selected Foxestalk illuminati position; then don't bother. Meanwhilst those in the little club just become more and more convinced they are right because everyone without a pHd or 2 hours to write out really long posts has got bored and drifted off away from the thread.

I do just find it odd that despite the scientific community response to some of the issues raised being pretty uninspiring, in my view, and the issues remaining unsolved, the suggestion that these people are not infalliable does provoke a quite odd defensive response.

I genuinely don't know everything about Covid19; and I am surprised that seemingly about 20% of the world's knowledge on it is possessed on one football forum (of a few) for one football team (of many) in one country (of many).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scientists are fallible - that's what peer review is for. And of course the process beyond such peer review and the scientific method itself is only human.

I would hope that no one is going to claim that it is perfect, because it clearly isn't - nothing human could be. But it is, at least right now, the best way we have of understanding the world around us and also defending ourselves against the many threats it poses.

NB. Perhaps this is overly defensive but I'm thinking the majority of blame regarding lack of progress on issues like climate change isn't down to what we know about it, it's down to politics and people not liking the idea of change, especially drastic change.

10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I was frustrated because its just an echo chamber in here. Unless you agree with the selected Foxestalk illuminati position; then don't bother. Meanwhilst those in the little club just become more and more convinced they are right because everyone without a pHd or 2 hours to write out really long posts has got bored and drifted off away from the thread.

Absolutely not - and if you had paused to peer through the red mist you would have seen that I was acknowledging many of your points. You raised valid questions that can require detailed responses that's all. 

11 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Science is not performed in an "echo-chamber" - that is precisely the point I have been making. The similarities in responses that you detect are nothing to do with the members posting, rather, independently verifiable established fact. When someone claiming to "think for themselves" posts that "it has been scientifically proven that facemasks don't work", "lockdowns don't work" or "Covid-19 is no different to the flu" - you'll find that it almost invariably has its origins in the online echo-chamber you refer to and of course it is going to be challenged. 

17 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I do just find it odd that despite the scientific community response to some of the issues raised being pretty uninspiring, in my view, and the issues remaining unsolved, the suggestion that these people are not infalliable does provoke a quite odd defensive response.

lol But scientists are not "infallible" - that's the point - and one I have repeatedly made in my replies to you.

20 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I genuinely don't know everything about Covid19; and I am surprised that seemingly about 20% of the world's knowledge on it is possessed on one football forum (of a few) for one football team (of many) in one country (of many).

Neither do scientists for the reasons I stated earlier. However, the known science that is posted in this forum is nothing to do with me or those that post it, rather self-evident and objectively/ independently verifiable. Conversely those individuals that presume to know, are frequently the ones that find it necessary to claim that they can "think for themselves".

Can I return to this please? - and again exhort/encourage you to take a few minutes to read it. It addresses many of the original points that you made far more succinctly than I have. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-0894-x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

NB. Perhaps this is overly defensive but I'm thinking the majority of blame regarding lack of progress on issues like climate change isn't down to what we know about it, it's down to politics and people not liking the idea of change, especially drastic change.

I would 100%  agree with you and perhaps that suggests that keeping any discussion to a ruthless focus on 'the science' isn't likely to solve anything, whilst there are other, more significant barriers to overcome.

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I would 100%  agree with you and perhaps that suggests that keeping any discussion to a ruthless focus on 'the science' isn't likely to solve anything, whilst there are other, more significant barriers to overcome.

Yep. What we do about such stuff is as important if not more important as what we know about it in the first place. That's why I want to get more involved in science communication.

From what I can tell the cardinal rule about such things is making the issue about whoever you're addressing and saying what's in it for them. Make it personal, and they're more likely to be good with policy based on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely not - and if you had paused to peer through the red mist you would have seen that I was acknowledging many of your points. You raised valid questions that can require detailed responses that's all. 

Science is not performed in an "echo-chamber" - that is precisely the point I have been making. The similarities in responses that you detect are nothing to do with the members posting, rather, independently verifiable established fact. When someone claiming to "think for themselves" posts that "it has been scientifically proven that facemasks don't work", "lockdowns don't work" or "Covid-19 is no different to the flu" - you'll find that it almost invariably has its origins in the online echo-chamber you refer to and of course it is going to be challenged. 

lol But scientists are not "infallible" - that's the point - and one I have repeatedly made in my replies to you.

Neither do scientists for the reasons I stated earlier. However, the known science that is posted in this forum is nothing to do with me or those that post it, rather self-evident and objectively/ independently verifiable. Conversely those individuals that presume to know, are frequently the ones that find it necessary to claim that they can "think for themselves".

Can I return to this please? - and again exhort/encourage you to take a few minutes to read it. It addresses many of the original points that you made far more succinctly than I have. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-0894-x

I thought I had replied! Its either been quickly deleted, vanished in to the ether or perhaps I never clicked to submit the reply.

I found the article interesting and it does touch on some ideas I'd presented previously in this thread; where I suggested science could often be used and politicised in unhelpful ways; ie selective use of data or selectively picking the advice that fits your own discourse/agenda/position from the range of scientific advisory bodies available.  To use a bit of a clumsy insurance analogy (my trade; as you can tell, I'm no scientist, never had the brains) - you can give risk information to one underwriter and you'll get one quote/answer, give the same risk information to 10 underwriters in one room and you'll no doubt get 100 quotes and answers; which is my clumsy way of saying that the same 'advisory committees' might work with the same data, but will likely come up with different predictions/models and advice and then this can be politicised by selectively ignoring some whilst pushing others.

My point about the echo chamber was really this thread and not about science in general. Its quite a narrow view now being presented here- and a well informed one, obviously, but it is an echo chamber nonetheless. It isn't to say anything being said is inaccurate, incorrect or misleading, but also I think its important that we all appreciate that no one truly comes at any issue and forms any opinion without at least a little agenda, discourse, pre-conception or self-interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Quite a few virologists in UK & Europe...have been upfront, said that "our individual & Cross groups have come up with a couple of & Not 10s of approaches,

but in Honesty..WE  JUST DONT KNOW how others,media,Politicians or other organisations follow that up & Play with the figures, is their own doing ,Plus

we  obviously learn more on each passing period , but not on every passing day"

Some more serious balanced..Government Health Insititutes, will regularly put These statements on their stieß & Show Open interviews,

without adding any contradictary remarks....o

Mainly  my View ,its the public & Front-line Politicians, who like Football forums, make up their own mind, and agenda to suit their own off-tangent dialogs..

There is a several of telling figures...That you cant hide, turn to your own  argumentative benifit,

No chance conspiracies:-

Simple numbers...

# How Full ICUs

# Lack of ICUs

# Lack of trained or untrained staff..

# Re-coping, with Any new Covid hights/peaks in numbers

# Admins Not able to cope, Ressources & politically

# Lack of all-round rescources

# Not enough Hospital-space to treat, other Medical problems...

# Oh & yes...Obviously some fully vaccined patients, will still get covid, But its brought down the totals of deaths, & an  ICU dependancy..

Oh Covid has After effects, so will the odd vaccined ..But its all about percentages...

Nurses and Medical staff cant be nobbled and rail-roded into Political nonsense merry-go-rounds...

They are too Damn tired , Disillusioned, & hard singularly motivated to bother...with controversy-crap

All These doubters, kontroverse -theories just have to get to know & listen to your neighbourly nurses, dep.Doctors 

Life is the Bullshit und deaf-ears, you use to accompany to make your own journey...

8 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Sad to read.

Poor girl and obviously her family .

Just shows COVID is a danger for all ages still.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-58772671

The anti brigade will say that she would have had an equally dangerous myocardial reaction to the jab …… it’s so very sad but a tough argument to win 

we are headed into interesting times ref footballers and vaccines 

those going to red list countries over the next couple weeks on int duty will either find themselves mysteriously injured and unable to go or mysteriously injured on their return (which won’t happen as they will go to a third country to continue training rather than be holed up in a hotel room for ten days).  Whilst we cannot know who has refused to be jabbed, we will certainly gain an insight on some over the next two int breaks ….

our two who are possibles in this regard are patson and cags 

This topic genuinely makes my head hurt.  I read articles where some doctors explain how everyone needs to get the jab to make everyone safe, some doctors say they've examined the contents to find toxic elements contained.

I read how all this is a massive conspiracy and how the top 1% are colluding to enforce us into a population cull, a hunger games society, crash of the economy and dependency on the state, then i read about how young, healthy people have died from Covid.  Then how people have died from the jab, then how the mainstream media are controlled by the elite to push out the same narrative.

Then i watch a video about how safe and effective the vaccines are and how face masks help to stop transmission, then i read that face masks are pointless so theres no need to wear them.

It really is a mindfield.

1 hour ago, pazzerfox said:

This topic genuinely makes my head hurt.  I read articles where some doctors explain how everyone needs to get the jab to make everyone safe, some doctors say they've examined the contents to find toxic elements contained.

I read how all this is a massive conspiracy and how the top 1% are colluding to enforce us into a population cull, a hunger games society, crash of the economy and dependency on the state, then i read about how young, healthy people have died from Covid.  Then how people have died from the jab, then how the mainstream media are controlled by the elite to push out the same narrative.

Then i watch a video about how safe and effective the vaccines are and how face masks help to stop transmission, then i read that face masks are pointless so theres no need to wear them.

It really is a mindfield.

Save yourself the bother.

Get the vaccine and carry on with your life.

• Like 4