Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Merck seem to believe that they have developed an anti-viral pill, a course of which taken in the first few days after Covid symptoms appear reduce hospitalisation and death by 50%, press release below.  Personally I view such announcements with caution until supported with peer review but if true could be a useful weapon against the pandemic.

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-and-ridgebacks-investigational-oral-antiviral-molnupiravir-reduced-the-risk-of-hospitalization-or-death-by-approximately-50-percent-compared-to-placebo-for-patients-with-mild-or-moderat/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Some anti vaxers really believe that having the jab is planting a bomb inside you. That it’s effectively a death sentence. Perhaps that mother now expects her son to die before her. We shouldn’t make fun of people like her. just as we don’t laugh at the mentally ill. She’s been convinced of something and there’s no way she’ll now be convinced of any other approach to the vaccine. 

That or she's a bot 

On 05/10/2021 at 22:11, st albans fox said:

Some anti vaxers really believe that having the jab is planting a bomb inside you. That it’s effectively a death sentence. Perhaps that mother now expects her son to die before her. We shouldn’t make fun of people like her. just as we don’t laugh at the mentally ill. She’s been convinced of something and there’s no way she’ll now be convinced of any other approach to the vaccine. 

Darwinism.

This 'cold' virus has arrived in our small corner of Leicestershire. I noticed my neighbour was coughing and sneezing last week, but she continued her daily routine. Then she asked me to help with two computer problems at the weekend.

The next Wednesday I started to feel ropey, but managed to watch the Women's Tour of Britain TT at Atherstone. That afternoon I fully came down with it. Mostly runny nose, volcanic sneezing and an intermittent cough. Also anosmia and muscle aches.

I attempted to check whether a rhinovirus was doing the rounds, but most sites are so oriented to Covid that it was difficult to get specific to other infections.

Apparently Delta variant is more like a cold in its symptoms, but I'm fairly sure, from seventy years of colds, that this is one. My breathing is unaffected. Last time I had 'flu was in early 2018. I was absolutely creased - so now I get the 'flu jab.

Neighbour, who's ninety, is fully recovered and her hubby (ninety-one) never even caught it! Maybe mask wearing as a habit is preferable to picking up the viruses. 

Potentially  the biggest issue now and those most at risk are those un- vaccinated which is why there is a big drive to make sure they are but they'll say it's quite within their rights not to have one.

We will now have a situation where people have had 3 jabs but others have had none!

I went to the Chemist yesterday to collect a prescription for my daughter. The flu jab queue was around 5 meters away. 

I seriously heard dome old bloke telling someone else that he’d not had the COVID jab, as it contained Nanobots so they could track you. 

Felt like shouting over and telling him they’d started putting Nanobots in the flu jab as well.

:D

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sly said:

I went to the Chemist yesterday to collect a prescription for my daughter. The flu jab queue was around 5 meters away. 

I seriously heard dome old bloke telling someone else that he’d not had the COVID jab, as it contained Nanobots so they could track you. 

Felt like shouting over and telling him they’d started putting Nanobots in the flu jab as well.

Or just say - “have you got a phone on you…that tracks you, listens to you, keeps a history of what you do and look at, what you buy to name a few. Just saying”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/10/2021 at 10:11, gerblod said:

This 'cold' virus has arrived in our small corner of Leicestershire. I noticed my neighbour was coughing and sneezing last week, but she continued her daily routine. Then she asked me to help with two computer problems at the weekend.

The next Wednesday I started to feel ropey, but managed to watch the Women's Tour of Britain TT at Atherstone. That afternoon I fully came down with it. Mostly runny nose, volcanic sneezing and an intermittent cough. Also anosmia and muscle aches.

I attempted to check whether a rhinovirus was doing the rounds, but most sites are so oriented to Covid that it was difficult to get specific to other infections.

Apparently Delta variant is more like a cold in its symptoms, but I'm fairly sure, from seventy years of colds, that this is one. My breathing is unaffected. Last time I had 'flu was in early 2018. I was absolutely creased - so now I get the 'flu jab.

Neighbour, who's ninety, is fully recovered and her hubby (ninety-one) never even caught it! Maybe mask wearing as a habit is preferable to picking up the viruses. 

You really should've gotten a PCR test. Anosmia is essentially a covid giveaway symptom if it's not caused by a blocked nose. And yeah for most people if you've been infected before or vaccinated, covid presents more as a heavy cold or flu rather than this all over body explosion.  

• Thanks 1

The 'flu vaccine appears to be in short supply at present. My surgery has twice cancelled everyones' appointments for the 'flu jab in the last three weeks, blaming the problem on a shortage of HGV drivers. I didn't know vaccines were considered to be heavy goods! One wonders if the COVID-19 booster vaccines will be similarly affected.

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

No great surprise that getting the flu and COVID at the same time  means you are at greater risk.

Hopefully those most in danger will get their flu jab and booster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58862920

I never quite understand the flu. I'm in my mid 40s and had the flu twice in my life. TWICE. 

At a rough guess, I've had well over a hundred colds. Probably over 150. 

No point to this post, other than  it's (flu) obviously quite hard to get.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I never quite understand the flu. I'm in my mid 40s and had the flu twice in my life. TWICE. 

At a rough guess, I've had well over a hundred colds. Probably over 150. 

No point to this post, other than  it's (flu) obviously quite hard to get.

How do you tell the difference between mild flu and a bad cold?  The symptoms are pretty much the same, and like all viruses including coronavirus, some people can be hardly affected by it while others are laid up.

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

You really should've gotten a PCR test. Anosmia is essentially a covid giveaway symptom if it's not caused by a blocked nose. And yeah for most people if you've been infected before or vaccinated, covid presents more as a heavy cold or flu rather than this all over body explosion.  

I'll take your advice. 

I've suffered anosmia before with bad colds, but not for the four days this has lasted. Could be my lifelong sinus problem reasserting itself and I've had no contact with anyone other than her and she's taken a LFT and that's proven negative.

However that's all hearsay compared to a test. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've taken care to mask and gel up since - to prevent passing this on - whatever it is. It's just bloody unpleasant.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

How do you tell the difference between mild flu and a bad cold?  The symptoms are pretty much the same, and like all viruses including coronavirus, some people can be hardly affected by it while others are laid up.

The maxim is that you'll 'know to it' when you get influenza. It leaves you incapable of carrying out normal activity. The Germans call it 'Grippe', I suspect because it seizes you, whereas a cold isn't as completely enervating.

Last time I had 'flu, in the early 2018 infection, I was suffering severe symptoms for two weeks. I think people interpret the symptoms to suit how bad they feel - hence the man-flu jibes. The 'flu vaccination scheme is to protect oldies against potential fatality. Colds are miserable but don't often kill.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

The maxim is that you'll 'know to it' when you get influenza. It leaves you incapable of carrying out normal activity. The Germans call it 'Grippe', I suspect because it seizes you, whereas a cold isn't as completely enervating.

Last time I had 'flu, in the early 2018 infection, I was suffering severe symptoms for two weeks. I think people interpret the symptoms to suit how bad they feel - hence the man-flu jibes. The 'flu vaccination scheme is to protect oldies against potential fatality. Colds are miserable but don't often kill.

My wife had a bout of real flu when she was in her late thirties and took about 3 months to recover. Until then I’d just thought it was like a nasty cold.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

PS Inherited immune system effectiveness really predicts the manner in which the body protects itself. The accrued data indicated that certain ethnicities were comparatively less equipped to cope with Covid. I suspect that the speed and severity of certain countries to encapsulate/isolate infected communities also led to skewed absolute figures - i.e. its transmission and range of severity within a typical density community with no vaccination or isolation policy.

Italy was absolutely taken by surprise and suffered huge infection rate. 

Edited by gerblod
Post unfinished when posted

22 hours ago, Sly said:

Puts the maxim 'with age comes wisdom' fairly into the rubbish pile - to be replaced with 'no fool like an old fool'.

When you get 'leaders' spouting the same nonsense then you realise that the 'Dark Ages' have never really gone away. Some people need an IQ test before any other. Anti-vaxxers can and will believe what they wish, but the threat they present to the rest of their communities has to result in some imposed isolation

• Like 2

13 hours ago, String fellow said:

The 'flu vaccine appears to be in short supply at present. My surgery has twice cancelled everyones' appointments for the 'flu jab in the last three weeks, blaming the problem on a shortage of HGV drivers. I didn't know vaccines were considered to be heavy goods! One wonders if the COVID-19 booster vaccines will be similarly affected.

Wow! And Army transport has been allocated to the fuel non-emergency. 

Vaccines for flu and for Covid are sent via HGV because there's such a huge amount. Flu vaccine will be given to c. 12m people. That's 12m single shot syringes + packing. It might not weigh as much as other commodities but the volume is the factor. 

• Like 1

On 09/10/2021 at 06:20, phoneticerror said:

Darwinism.

Sorry to be pedantic (truly) but Darwinism is the name given to Charles Darwin's theory that successive generations of all living things arrive at the present time (or whichever past time)  having been most successful of their species at surviving predation, disease and most successful at reproducing (aka passing on their genetic pattern). 

What the majority of anti-vaxers  illustrate is resistance (for whatever reason) to demonstrable proof of the effectiveness of, for example, Covid vaccination, based on illogical reasoning from hearing rumour or downright lies (or some inherent belief system in their communities).

Some will be correct about avoiding vaccination - those rare few who will die from vaccine rather than Covid - but that's the odds game. 

Mainly they're primitive thinkers who've failed to learn from decades of modern medical research. It might be the 21st Century but the word hasn't reached many a backwoods community.