Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

23 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Sweden and hard line republican US states (interstingly, hardly political or ideological bedmates) seemed to have both survived without a societal collapse. 

But that's old argument. My point was I don’t think the PM was passive in the early days of the outbreak. It was deliberate. A bit like, it'll be OK, it'll blow over. And it has. Whether by accident or design is arguable..but covid is today's fish and chip paper. 

...who said anything about societal collapse? I was referring to more deaths from a healthcare infrastructure unable to deal with the amount of patients. That has happened, and is happening, in the US, and was partly stopped in Sweden by a healthcare system ready for it - I'm not sure I could have the same confidence in the NHS at the time. The virus is certainly running rampant through the unvaccinated in the "free" southern US states right now with all that entails.

Thanks to the vaccine the problem is slowly going away, yes - but I simply can't see how hindsight says a more laissez-faire approach in the UK would have led to anything other than more death and suffering.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Sweden and hard line republican US states (interstingly, hardly political or ideological bedmates) seemed to have both survived without a societal collapse. 

But that's old argument. My point was I don’t think the PM was passive in the early days of the outbreak. It was deliberate. A bit like, it'll be OK, it'll blow over. And it has. Whether by accident or design is arguable..but covid is today's fish and chip paper. 

Are you sure about that? Roughly 800 deaths every week in the UK might suggest otherwise. The great fear of dying from it probably has blown over for many, but it still feels like a threat constantly lurking in the background. Also, I expect the program of booster jabs to be dealt with far less urgently than with the first pair of jabs, which could lead folk to be more vulnerable than they might imagine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

If there’s anything we’ve learnt in the last 18 months it’s that Johnson waits and waits and waits before making a decision on anything. Child like decision maker 

• Like 1

I'm just back in Scotland after a trip over a couple of days to Newcastle.

I went to pubs, restaurants, the cinema and an arena concert.

It was dramatically noticeable that people down there are hardly masking (not even, in all cases, shop or bar staff), the hand sanitiser in some places is just for decoration, and no one anywhere is distancing.

To our eyes, people there were mostly pretty much acting as if the Pandemic is all over.

Different vibe when you go out up here.

Little wonder that the UK currently has ten times the daily new cases of anywhere else in Western Europe.

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think that’s the plan 

Maybe more by accident than design, but yes,.i agree....  as vaccinated people get exposed to this and our kids get exposed to this, it'll  do our collective immune systems the world of good. 

38 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

It was dramatically noticeable that people down there are hardly masking (not even, in all cases, shop or bar staff), the hand sanitiser in some places is just for decoration, and no one anywhere is distancing.

To our eyes, people there were mostly pretty much acting as if the Pandemic is all over.

Little wonder that the UK currently has ten times the daily new cases of anywhere else in Western Europe.

My day to day work is largely with Dutch and germans. I take great pleasure in telling them that for England, covid is over. Finito. They are largely envious. They seem to be roughly where we were in June/July

Surely we want normality,.don't we? 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Magictv said:

I agree it is the plan. But what is the possible logic behind it from the govt?

Basically that we’re all going to come into contact with it anyway, so late summer / early autumn is a better time for us to do so (for the NHS, and arguably for ourselves as well) rather than the depths of winter.

Thanks both, yes I guess that's it and I can see some logic to it. Just seems odd to me, if you're worried about high winter cases why would it be a good idea to start off from a position we're in 39k cases a day, vs. say 8k/6k cases a day like France/Germany are on. (Numbers just picked from worldmeters.info) :dunno:

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

I’ve also arrived back an hour ago but from France. I was pleasantly surprised to find that almost everyone, everywhere we went, were wearing masks, even teens. The exception, funnily enough, were Brit tourists. Saw an anti vax demonstration (two people) with a marquee and banners outside the town hall in Perigueux but not a soul engaging with them. Had to show vaccination passes everywhere we went, even to eat on a terrace.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Magictv said:

Thanks both, yes I guess that's it and I can see some logic to it. Just seems odd to me, if you're worried about high winter cases why would it be a good idea to start off from a position we're in 39k cases a day, vs. say 8k/6k cases a day like France/Germany are on. (Numbers just picked from worldmeters.info) :dunno:

we also have high cases because we have a strong testing system. Of course we do have way higher case rate than most European countries. 

I guess at some point cases may begin to drop off as we approach winter -  we will see the experiment play out ……..

10 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I’ve also arrived back an hour ago but from France. I was pleasantly surprised to find that almost everyone, everywhere we went, were wearing masks, even teens. The exception, funnily enough, were Brit tourists. Saw an anti vax demonstration (two people) with a marquee and banners outside the town hall in Perigueux but not a soul engaging with them. Had to show vaccination passes everywhere we went, even to eat on a terrace.

Why would anyone be pleased that people wear masks?

It's almost as if some people enjoy this whole shebang.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Mainly because I have cancer and Bronchiectasis caused by the cancer so am particularly vulnerable. Other people wearing masks offer me more protection.
You can go fvck yourself if you think for one minute that I’m enjoying wearing a mask, breathing is difficult enough for me on a daily basis without one but if I get Covid, I die.

Look dude, you've played your trump card so any answer I give is gonna sound heartless. 

On a personal level, you've got a real raw hand there and you have my total support and good wishes. 

On a wider level, nobody vulnerable can bank on a half arsed public wearing  a (near useless) piece of cloth  barely covering a.nose and mouth to suppress covid. You're  jabbed. You no doubt are an avid hand washer. You presumably try to keep a respectful distance from others....I hope you continue to be safe! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Look dude, you've played your trump card so any answer I give is gonna sound heartless. 

On a personal level, you've got a real raw hand there and you have my total support and good wishes. 

On a wider level, nobody vulnerable can bank on a half arsed public wearing  a (near useless) piece of cloth  barely covering a.nose and mouth to suppress covid. You're  jabbed. You no doubt are an avid hand washer. You presumably try to keep a respectful distance from others....I hope you continue to be safe! 

No worries. I’m more than aware of the rituals I need to keep myself safe. The only other thing I can rely on is advice from all 3 consultants I see every 6 months and they all, in no uncertain terms, tell me to avoid anyone who doesn’t wear a mask (indoors of course) and to avoid public buildings altogether if possible. I have to make choices every day and still try and maintain a normal life. I’m 57 and fit with a wife, 2 kids and 3 grandkids. If I didn’t tell you then you’d have no idea anything was wrong with me so yes, other people wearing masks makes me happy. 
Believe me, I can’t wait until this shitshow is over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

And yet, in spite of all Scotland's precautions and masks, the death rate per head of population is the same as in England. 

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Think that’s down to the higher testing rates.

7 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Disappointing to read MPs conclusions.  A lockdown needed, but quicker.  Unsurprising and disappointing in equal measure.

Who questions the narrative rather than doubling down on it?

You’re not still banging that “narrative” drum (that you never seem to quite explain) are you? Are you seriously saying that opening up and letting rip, relying on “herd immunity” in the absence of a vaccine at the height of the pandemic, would have been a good idea? You really need to stop listening to those cretins online that you seem to uncritically admire.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If there’s anything we’ve learnt in the last 18 months it’s that Johnson waits and waits and waits before making a decision on anything. Child like decision maker 

Spike Milligan coined the expression "a man...who did Prime Minister impressions". He was ridiculing Neville Chamberlain, who was a thoroughly decent man and able politician who found himself trying to parley with a disturbed and ruthless individual intent on laying waste to Europe. He was surrounded by anti-war feeling and a strong fascist movement and tried to find a way of resolving an unresolvable situation peacefully. 

In comparison to Johnson, he was a towering colossus of a statesman. When a people-pleasing narcissist is allowed to take the supreme political office of this country then the position has been reduced to a puppet show.

In harsher times his head would have been on a spike by now with a placard naming him 'imposter" tied to it.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 12:37, Lionator said:

You really should've gotten a PCR test. Anosmia is essentially a covid giveaway symptom if it's not caused by a blocked nose. And yeah for most people if you've been infected before or vaccinated, covid presents more as a heavy cold or flu rather than this all over body explosion.  

I did an LFT test on Monday. Turns out I'm infected with Covid! I reported the fact to the Government via its user- friendly website. Now self- isolating and in receipt of a PCR kit. 10 days house arrest but with previous 'remand' time deducted from my sentence. I'll be out on the 16th.

My neighbours' two tests were negative so I'm racking my brains as to where I contracted it. Nothing springs to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

I did an LFT test on Monday. Turns out I'm infected with Covid! I reported the fact to the Government via its user- friendly website. Now self- isolating and in receipt of a PCR kit. 10 days house arrest but with previous 'remand' time deducted from my sentence. I'll be out on the 16th.

My neighbours' two tests were negative so I'm racking my brains as to where I contracted it. Nothing springs to mind.

We gloss over the fact that the middle aged (and older)  are showing some symptoms, occasionally feeling somewhat poorly and finding themselves having to isolate for ten days.  Go back to the onset of this mess and it would have been such a different tale for the majority of sufferers. Thank goodness for the vaccines. 

• Like 2