Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

My sense of smell is still shot nearly 4 months later, taste marginally better, and spent a few days last week with a really weird paraffin type smell which isn’t ideal.

Really does serve me right for spending months saying that long Covid was bullshit lol. Luckily I have no other long term issues.

Edited by Costock_Fox

30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

My sense of smell is still shot nearly 4 months later, taste marginally better, and spent a few days last week with a really weird paraffin type smell which isn’t ideal.

Really does serve me right for spending months saying that long Covid was bullshit lol. Luckily I have no other long term issues.

To be honest, I know it's a pain in the arse and more but I feel uncomfortable with people calling that long covid. For me, it should be the more systemic symptoms which generally affect your day to day functioning. 

It will come back, please be patient but I feel your pain!

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

To be honest, I know it's a pain in the arse and more but I feel uncomfortable with people calling that long covid. For me, it should be the more systemic symptoms which generally affect your day to day functioning. 

Sometimes it doesn’t ….. in the vast majority it does …..

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’m firmly with you which is why I’m definitely not saying I’ve got long Covid, just quite funny.

I just want to smell a fart again, is that too much to ask?

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Would you mind elaborating on this a little more?

Sure, a neighbour of mine aged 29 had the 1st vaccine back in the summer and within 2 weeks suffered a stroke. Doctors believe its likely to have been caused by the vaccine.

My wife and mines good friend who's a personal trainer and as fit as a fiddle, had the 2nd vaccine in the last month and collapsed at the cinema. Taken to hospital for tests but was released, then a day later got numbness all down his left side and collapsed again and they believe he's had a minor stroke. Doing tests but likely to be the vaccine has been mooted.

Very odd for 2 very healthy people under the age of 32 to have strokes is it not?

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sure, a neighbour of mine aged 29 had the 1st vaccine back in the summer and within 2 weeks suffered a stroke. Doctors believe its likely to have been caused by the vaccine.

My wife and mines good friend who's a personal trainer and as fit as a fiddle, had the 2nd vaccine in the last month and collapsed at the cinema. Taken to hospital for tests but was released, then a day later got numbness all down his left side and collapsed again and they believe he's had a minor stroke. Doing tests but likely to be the vaccine has been mooted.

Very odd for 2 very healthy people under the age of 32 to have strokes is it not?

I know two people under 30 that experienced DVT from a long haul flight - one of them had a pulmonary embolism and nearly died. Causal link established. Does that deter you from flying from now on? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I know two people under 30 that experienced DVT from a long haul flight - one of them had a pulmonary embolism and nearly died. Causal link established. Does that deter you from flying from now on? 

Eh? Not sure what you're trying to counter here, that any adverse reactions to the vaccine to cohorts of people who arguably didn't need it anyway shouldn't be acknowledged or flagged as its unhelpful? Or that rare things happen and shouldn't influence others?

I've been in a pretty shit state since both vaccines too. I'm not ruling out it may have occurred anyway but since the summer I've got arthritis like symptoms and I've just turned 38 and they don't seem to be going away. Not out the realms of possibility that this is just wear and tear at my age but reading in to it it's also a side effect of the vaccine.

Would I have the vaccine again knowing all this? I essentially had it to be a good citizen and protect others but when you see people you know getting strokes and I'm walking around like I've got a bullet ant in my shoe then questions are going to be asked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Eh? Not sure what you're trying to counter here, that any adverse reactions to the vaccine to cohorts of people who arguably didn't need it anyway shouldn't be acknowledged or flagged as its unhelpful? Or that rare things happen and shouldn't influence others?

I've been in a pretty shit state since both vaccines too. I'm not ruling out it may have occurred anyway but since the summer I've got arthritis like symptoms and I've just turned 38 and they don't seem to be going away. Not out the realms of possibility that this is just wear and tear at my age but reading in to it it's also a side effect of the vaccine.

Would I have the vaccine again knowing all this? I essentially had it to be a good citizen and protect others but when you see people you know getting strokes and I'm walking around like I've got a bullet ant in my shoe then questions are going to be asked.

having read some of the stuff you've got up to over the years ric, i'm amazed you've only got a bit of arthritis at 38!

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m firmly with you which is why I’m definitely not saying I’ve got long Covid, just quite funny.

I just want to smell a fart again, is that too much to ask?

Put it in a jar und Date them for later,

Your gran kids, can put them on the Antique-Show in 50 yrs time...lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No not at all. Merely that our risk perception can be skewed. Further, correlation does not equal causality. That was all. And on the subject of overseas travel, many don't need to do that either. I guarantee most on here that are dubious about the Covid vaccination haven't previously thought twice about getting vaccinated to go abroad if necessary. The use of mRNA in vaccines for example has been studied for decades, with extensive trials testing its safety. This meant the technique could be quickly adapted for the pandemic. None of the technology that has been used is unknown, because we have used these technologies in other areas in healthcare and research

In respect of DVT - recent studies indicate that as many as 10% of long haul passengers are afflicted by it. I'll say again, 10%!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/aug/22/from-shark-bites-to-rare-blood-clots-how-good-are-you-at-assessing-risk

The risk of Covid infection and with it, the Long Covid condition, far outweighs the risk of side effects from vaccination. The amplification of these risks without qualifying that the reported instances of these side effects are extremely low is perhaps the real reason behind any concerns the public have had with vaccine safety. As has been mentioned before, social media and particularly Twitter are the engine driving vaccine hesitancy as opposed to evidence and factual data. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Thanks for the additional information. I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to your friends, but the points about about risk perception as a result of personal experience are salient, more's the pity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I believe you and others are right to put these points on the table, we all have to read between the lines of the statistics game,

before making our own Personal descisions...

From my POV & actions I play the  % game....

Less ICU cases & pressure on Medical staff.

Since the Vaccine, not expecting 100% or even 80% success, within the vaccine programme, we have seen a sort of  relief

but it helps..end-of.

I Never expected Covid, or SARs to go Away and die.

I know at sometime most of our species will succombe somehow,Someday to Covid, serious or not so serious complications..

With or without Vaccine, complications will Crop up

I took the vaccine not to Keep the big Bad Daddy permanently from my future life, but keep me & kind, away not from hospital 

but a chance an Hope that we wouldnt have to go through the dangerous ICU process..

People have to stop, waiting for that delivery of the Perfect Storm of a cure,

or Whirlwind Government & various countries leading health Organisations information outlets..

If the Top virologists  say they "Don t know" , then neither do the conspiracy-platforms, political-platforms, or Top Health organisations..

Nor...We The people...( who love nothing  other than create Blame trails, & modern Soap-opera opinions )..

At present The Vaccine is just an help, to put Covid on hold, for the high percentage of us,Not the whole Rocking bunch of us.

Plus help to relieve the frontline Medical services...The Admins & politicians have failed miserably

The major important pathetic failure has been the Political Information  Platform world-wide  Govt.services & their leading politicians...

Plus their sell of Business Globalisation of important Human-medical-essentials & support agencies has been a Universal failure..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

No not at all. Merely that our risk perception can be skewed. Further, correlation does not equal causality. That was all. And on the subject of overseas travel, many don't need to do that either. I guarantee most on here that are dubious about the Covid vaccination haven't previously thought twice about getting vaccinated to go abroad if necessary. The use of mRNA in vaccines for example has been studied for decades, with extensive trials testing its safety. This meant the technique could be quickly adapted for the pandemic. None of the technology that has been used is unknown, because we have used these technologies in other areas in healthcare and research

In respect of DVT - recent studies indicate that as many as 10% of long haul passengers are afflicted by it. I'll say again, 10%!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/aug/22/from-shark-bites-to-rare-blood-clots-how-good-are-you-at-assessing-risk

The risk of Covid infection and with it, the Long Covid condition, far outweighs the risk of side effects from vaccination. The amplification of these risks without qualifying that the reported instances of these side effects are extremely low is perhaps the real reason behind any concerns the public have had with vaccine safety. As has been mentioned before, social media and particularly Twitter are the engine driving vaccine hesitancy as opposed to evidence and factual data. 

All fair enough, humans are emotional beings though and to hear of 2 people I know who have had a stroke due to the vaccine, as well as feeling pretty shit myself in recent months can't just be waved away with stats even though I agree with plenty of what you say. 

I certainly wouldn't blindly have this vaccine again, I'd strongly have to give it some thought, I never needed it and neither do a large % of people when it comes to being at risk from serious illness or death. People's behaviour and opinions certainly change in hindsight, there's very little statistics that can make a case for that either. It's human nature that if you have a negative experience/outcome from something that given the choice again you'd choose differently. Hopefully less young, fit and healthy people overall will be ill or die as a result of having the vaccine, but the numbers of seriously ill/deaths from our cohort of people were so so low anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All fair enough, humans are emotional beings though and to hear of 2 people I know who have had a stroke due to the vaccine, as well as feeling pretty shit myself in recent months can't just be waved away with stats even though I agree with plenty of what you say. 

I certainly wouldn't blindly have this vaccine again, I'd strongly have to give it some thought, I never needed it and neither do a large % of people when it comes to being at risk from serious illness or death. People's behaviour and opinions certainly change in hindsight, there's very little statistics that can make a case for that either. It's human nature that if you have a negative experience/outcome from something that given the choice again you'd choose differently. Hopefully less young, fit and healthy people overall will be ill or die as a result of having the vaccine, but the numbers of seriously ill/deaths from our cohort of people were so so low anyway. 

A measured, completely understandable and constructive response. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Apparently there has been a slow uptake on the booster jab with only 3 million of the 8 million invited to have it had the jab.

Maybe people feel they are protected enough or getting complacent?

Complacent, given that they can see the vast majority of those becoming infected who are double jabbed are not at risk of serious illness. 

I would have thought those who’ve caught it after being jabbed will decide they don’t actually need a booster 

the current de facto policy of getting as many people as possible infected pre winter will make a lot of boosters unnecessary ! 

we have it back in the house for the fourth time!   Surely a record !!!

Edited by st albans fox

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Complacent, given that they can see the vast majority of those becoming infected who are double jabbed are not at risk of serious illness. 

I would have thought those who’ve caught it after being jabbed will decide they don’t actually need a booster 

the current de facto policy of getting as many people as possible infected pre winter will make a lot of boosters unnecessary ! 

we have it back in the house for the fourth time!   Surely a record !!!

Would be interesting to know why..??

Give your Bodies up for science,become Guinea-pigs to Save the world...st.Alban fox heroes...

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Mixing with different Friends & families, I suppose..??

It just happens - older kids go out socially and pick it up 

young ones bring it back from school 

we have to just get on with life - this thing will be with us for a very long time 

the more we come across the virus, the less we will be affected by it from a health perspective.  The problem is those who cannot protect themselves via a vaccine or are at risk  - what can we do ????

• Like 2

Seen a few graphs floating around from this site. You can play with the data and comparisons yourself:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/united-kingdom 

Now I'm no data scientist, but if you look at the numbers of cases and deaths in the UK the direction of travel wouldn't seem to be taking us to a very fun place