Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

53 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Not convinced about masks protecting you from other respiratory illnesses.  Didn't stop me getting a heavy cold last year with restrictions or this with no restrictions.

Javid made me 😆 yesterday at his presser.  He attempted to explain away the disappearance of flu last year as a consequence of the restrictions.  

Let's abolish the flu with never ending restrictions.  Why?  Because Javid said so.

The longer this goes on, the more politicians wade in, it doesn't matter who, the majority spout the same nonsense, the further they dig the rabbit hole they find themselves in.

Meeting at work last week about going back to 'normal' post COVID, everyone in masks etc. Guess what happened, yep that's right, COVID outbreak from the meeting, bloody irony lol The lad who has taken it the most serious out of all of us (always wears his mask, keeps his distance, regularly sanitises his hands etc.) was the one who ended up bringing it in (or so we believe from the positive test dates).

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Meeting at work last week about going back to 'normal' post COVID, everyone in masks etc. Guess what happened, yep that's right, COVID outbreak from the meeting, bloody irony lol The lad who has taken it the most serious out of all of us (always wears his mask, keeps his distance, regularly sanitises his hands etc.) was the one who ended up bringing it in (or so we believe from the positive test dates).

Next time it could be you as by your attitude, you're putting yourself more at risk of carrying it. You may even now be a carrier having been in fairly close contact with him. 

Have a good evening!

Just now, Parafox said:

Next time it could be you as by your attitude, you're putting yourself more at risk of carrying it. You may even now be a carrier having been in fairly close contact with him. 

Have a good evening!

Then I hope everyone at Kasabian @ DeMontfort Hall is prepared to catch it in a few days :ph34r:

Genuinely mean no offence to you mate, just done with the whole living in fear thing, and many of us feel the same, especially when the powers that be do **** all to help the cause anyway.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Just for the sake of accuracy, the Blair-Brown government cut NHS overnight beds by 15%, the Cameron-May-Johnson governments have cut them by 10%.  Both Labour and Tory have messed about with the NHS and wasted vast amounts of money on the wrong things.

You're somehow thinking I consider New Labour not Tories......

However please not let's say that the Tories are the party of the NHS, having voting consistently against its creation and any proper funding for it, seeking to increase privatisation

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's not quiet true though, 26000 beds were lost when Labour were last in power, the reduction in hospital beds is as much to do with technological advances in healthcare as it is anything else.  Patients spend half the time in hospital that they did 20 years ago.

That's not necessarily a good thing. Patients get turfed out far too quickly.

Take maternity for example, the majority of new parents are turfed out either that day or within 24hrs. These people need the additional time to recover from births as well as time away from their familial responsibilities.

43 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Then I hope everyone at Kasabian @ DeMontfort Hall is prepared to catch it in a few days :ph34r:

Genuinely mean no offence to you mate, just done with the whole living in fear thing, and many of us feel the same, especially when the powers that be do **** all to help the cause anyway.

I'm just about to sell my Kasabian ticket. I just can't risk it eventhough I am triple jabbed. I'm getting twitchy about the Arsenal match as well. 

Just now, Spudulike said:

I'm just about to sell my Kasabian ticket. I just can't risk it eventhough I am triple jabbed. I'm getting twitchy about the Arsenal match as well. 

Mate I actually feel sorry for you. What a state the world is in. 

9 minutes ago, Soup said:

Mate I actually feel sorry for you. What a state the world is in. 

Thanks Soup but don't feel sorry for me. I'm not looking for sympathy, just that I have to be careful. Despite the sentiment in your forum picture, I've seen Kasabian a few times so guess I'll survive :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I can’t see another lockdown having anywhere like the impact the boffins will predict. I can’t see the public following the restrictions like they did in the previous strict lockdowns. Families who sacrificed seeing each other for months on end will be almost non existent in my opinion. House gatherings would be far more in number as well. I just can’t see people falling for it again.  We just can’t continue to shut everything down to protect an already broken NHS every winter. I can see less restrictive measures coming in but there would have to be a massive change in figures to get people on board with a full scale shutdown. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Interesting indeed...

Screenshot_20211021-210245_Samsung Internet.jpg

not sure how reliable the said professor is 

he did give written evidence to parliament  in April 2020 at the outset of this sh1tshow 

We believe that the statistics provided to and by the Government during the COVID- 19 crisis have been inadequate and have been too easily used by influencers and decision-makers to fit particular narratives that have exaggerated the scale of the crisis.

there isn’t much debate about the initial lockdown being essential so he got that wrong 

beyond that it seems that he has continually commented against lockdowns and restrictions 

I wonder how he defines ‘case rates’ and how he allows for the number of unvaccinated who won’t get tested on the back of their attitude towards the virus. 

if it is subsequently proven that learned people such as doctors and profs have been responsible for publicising misleading information, should they be stripped of their qualifications??  It’s one thing having a viewpoint but if you have a title like that then it’s reasonable for the public to place a fair degree of trust in that viewpoint. 

that last para is not aimed at Fenton btw …… just a general musing …..

Edited by st albans fox

Remember when the press leaked rumours about lockdowns and only meeting in groups of six etc, so we could get used to the idea before the government brought rules in, it seems to me that Plan C being mentioned in the press is a government set up for locking down at Xmas again. 

1 hour ago, MonmoreStef said:

I can’t see another lockdown having anywhere like the impact the boffins will predict. I can’t see the public following the restrictions like they did in the previous strict lockdowns. Families who sacrificed seeing each other for months on end will be almost non existent in my opinion. House gatherings would be far more in number as well. I just can’t see people falling for it again.  We just can’t continue to shut everything down to protect an already broken NHS every winter. I can see less restrictive measures coming in but there would have to be a massive change in figures to get people on board with a full scale shutdown. 

I agree.  First time round they said it was only for a few weeks, and people supported it.  Second time round, last Christmas, they said it was only until the vaccine kicked in, and people supported it.  Third time round, they have no earthly reason to say why it will stop, and the assumption would have to be that lockdown in some degree would be a permanent fact of life.

You can tell someone age 80 that if they stop at home and don't meet friends or family, things will be better next year.  But tell someone age 80 that if they stop at home and don't meet friends or family and things may be better in 10 years?  It won't work.

On 20/10/2021 at 09:46, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.  The levels of testing in the UK are obscene as these numbers show.  Worldwide, last 3 months:

Screenshot_20211020-094250_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for posting. Positive rate well below average. Difficult to compare to, say, Germany, if what has been mentioned is true, that the free tests aren't allowed there any longer. Naturally you'd expect a higher positive rate with a net that isn't cast as wide. (Have symptoms, get tested, more likely to be positive.)

That said, our positive rate is generally pretty low, and our rate of testing is obscene. 

Unfortunately the headline that gets distributed is 'BRITAIN HAS THE MOST POSITIVE COVID CASES IN EUROPE', or words to that effect.

I'm sure I've said it before, but one of the most disappointing things to come from the pandemic is the widespread misinterpretation of numbers. The total lack of an ability (or inclination) for folk to draw sensible conclusions from data, and to hold politicians accountable for utter BS en masse. A handful of angry tweets won't suffice. I feel a little hypocritical saying that, mind, since spouting sh*te on here won't change anything.

Selfish though this will sound, I grew up believing that most people, at least those in power, are generally clever enough and broadly well intentioned enough (I stress ENOUGH - that still maintains decent scope for the average amount of corruption you'd expect from lessons learnt from times gone by) to deal with issues thrown at the country/world with a level of proficiency that would mean I wouldn't need to worry about it. I could live my life worrying about my family, enjoying my life and trying to make a living, and all the major issues would sort themselves out. That now is not a belief that I hold.

Those in power do not have my/the general public's interests at heart, and not enough people are switched on enough to notice.

I fear that we have reached a point of paradox. Not many people are truly benevolent. It's a rare personality type that pushes themselves to learn more for the greater good of their population. (Doctors/nurses). You can earn well without putting yourself through the bother if the you don't come from charitable stock, which most (myself included), do not.

Too many people are either too smart or too dumb. The dot com boom brought about new types of easily accessible professions for people that might otherwise have become nurses, or politicians, or analysts etc. out of necessity. Meanwhile, education has been criminally underfunded for years, so you wind up with a massive lump of useless people at the other end of the spectrum, (who can't get a job because their roles are increasingly made redundant by tech.)

So what are you left with? People getting into it for the wrong reasons. For power and to take advantage of powerful positions, with not enough intelligent stock to hold them accountable.

I'm by no stretch a genius. I consider myself somewhere in the middle of the intellectual spectrum. But Jesus Christ, what a sorry state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

With draconian restrictions in place.  Point being restrictions don't reduce the figures.  

Exactly.  There are loads of factors that move the figures around, and restrictions appear to be only a minor one - hence Wales cases have gone up and up since July and England's much less so, even though Wales has kept the legal duty to wear masks (though I don't know how well it has been observed).

But the real reason why Wales' cases, and Cornwall's for that matter, have rocketed is because they didn't get it so badly first time out.  Leaving more scope to get it now.  Regardless of waning immunity either of vaccine or of natural immunity from actually getting the disease, there must be some benefit to future health if you catch the virus and survive it.  Your immune system doesn't forget completely.

Take a look at the government map of cases on the coronavirus count page.  Which areas have the lowest rates at present?  Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Manchester, Liverpool. the Bolton-Blackburn-Burnley industrial belt, Hull, Leicester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Oxford, London.  All the places that had it worst earlier.  (Also the south east and bits of Wales, as outliers.)  My point being that it appears - and further investigation by the powers-that-be is no doubt being made at all times (one would hope) - that this virus spread fastest where the conditions were best for spreading, ie. densely populated cities, and spread slower in other areas.  BUT - this doesn't mean other areas got away with it.  It just means their cases came later.  It spreads more slowly, but it gets there in the end.

And that leads to the idea - not a conclusion, but an idea- that (coupled with your observation about Singapore) the virus is going to hit you in the end.  It's would suggest that perhaps all lockdown does is prolong the agony - if you're going to catch it, you're going to catch it unless you hide for ever.  When you bear in mind that out of 3 million confirmed cases in the last three months (and who knows how many unconfirmed, but I believe the statistical approach reckons about double that) only 1 in 300 has died, the statistical evidence for lockdown is pretty flimsy.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

For what it's worth, I do get this. Too many people appear to have been left high and dry by the powers that be instead of being supported while doing the right thing.

This needs to be a learning experience for those involved - when a global crisis comes about, do more to help people with any disruption in their lives, because the next crisis might not (probably will not) be so forgiving of a disjointed response that doesn't have  everyone playing ball.

• Like 1