Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thank them with faint praise for coming up with a vaccine that has enabled a semblance of normality, curse them for actually following the scientific method which is not a belief system and as such is always in flux depending on the information available.

Still, it's not like the science community in the UK has ever been treated by the political class with anything other than contempt and patronising praise when they solve the problems that political class mostly got everyone into, so I guess it's nothing new. 

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I was encouraged to due to my job, I work for NHS so was one of first people to have the vaccine at start of the rollout. Following having my vaccine, I was extremely ill, not just a cold or mild side effects. It then transpired that under 30s (i.e. myself) shouldn't have had that jab - I've been apprehensive ever since. Doesn't help that one of my father's colleague's wife was put into a coma after he second vaccine due to side effects. I don't know, I've just held back on it, but I certainly don't think that those who are getting it are wrong. Good for them, make whatever choice you're comfortable with and I hope that all double vaccinated people are able to stay safe from this awful virus. Fortunately, I haven't had anyone severely effected by COVID that is close to me, maybe that has played on my mind also.

I'm not against the vaccine, I'll have it in time but I don't see the rush for myself as a fit, healthy young person who does a lot of exercise and hasn't ever contracted COVID (as far as I know). 

People can call me stupid but to be honest but I'm not being detrimental to others - I just want to take my time. I actually booked about 100 patients into a COVID booster jab clinic the other day whilst at work - I would never ask someone to follow my lead but equally, I don't want people to judge me for that choice as I wouldn't judge them for theirs - if they do though, that's their problem, not mine. 

The problem is not having it!! Just do me a favour and research the numbers associated with hospitalisations with or without vaccine. Either from my post or Leicmac. 

To think you work for the NHS as well. Scary.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Yes, and I would be the one ending up in hospital, not you, or anyone else that is fully jabbed, why would you judge me on taking a risk that would only effect me? 

How is it scary that I work for the NHS? I don't have to agree with everything from the organisation's POV - I'm sure you would have held different views to employers in the past. 

Hospitals are already beginning to become overwhelmed. By unvaccinated COVID patients. Surely you've seen this either first hand or heard second hand in your job?

If your risk (and you're right, it is a risk) backfires, you contribute to the increasing pressure on the NHS which may lead to restrictions on the nation's liberty over the coming months. 

Just don't take the risk. There is literally no benefit. Avoid potential illness and contribute to the easing of pressure on the NHS. 

Personally I'd prefer not to re-enter lockdown. You?

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yes, and I would be the one ending up in hospital, not you, or anyone else that is fully jabbed, why would you judge me on taking a risk that would only effect me? 

How is it scary that I work for the NHS? I don't have to agree with everything from the organisation's POV - I'm sure you would have held different views to employers in the past. 

But it won't only affect you, will it. How many others might you have infected by the time you get hospitalised? Ever thought about your NHS colleagues having to administer life saving treatment to you when they could be helping other vulnerable people?

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

What draconian restrictions? Wtf you talking about?

I wouldn't expect a response, just more screenshots of unverified or deliberately misconstrued data, as has been demonstrated to him repeatedly, from twitter to reinforce the perverse belief that reducing social contact doesn't reduce the spread of a respiratory airborne virus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Not difficult is it. Basically everyone being hospitalised (see also, keeping us in this mess) are unvaccinated. 

Those that can't see that are therefore a sandwich short of a picnic.

I work in a local hospital and heard that there's a couple of wards that have patients who've recently been taken in due to the virus, despite having two doses of vaccine.

6 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I wouldn't expect a response, just more screenshots of unverified or deliberately misconstrued data, as has been demonstrated to him repeatedly, from twitter to reinforce the perverse belief that reducing social contact doesn't reduce the spread of a respiratory airborne virus.

Haha misconstrued date, yeah like that doesn't happen with all date. A death with a positive PCR test within 28 days is the biggest misconstrued bit of data out there. I still don't know how the hell they can get away with that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yes, of course. 

I feel pretty confident it won't for the reason's in one of my last posts.  

I don't know, I don't particularly fancy feeling as ill as I did again, or ending up like my dad's colleague's wife did (maybe I'm quite susceptible to side effects after my experience with the first dose... could that potentially be worse this time? Who knows?) 

Obviously not, but then I practice things like washing my hands frequently and wearing a mask in shops etc. as I'm aware it's a potential problem we face coming into the winter months, I just don't want to get the vaccine. 

A mate of mine had a bad reaction to the AZ on his first dose. Was ill for about 4 days. Was fine after his second.

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I work in a local hospital and heard that there's a couple of wards that have patients who've recently been taken in due to the virus, despite having two doses of vaccine.

Exceptions to every rule. The stats literally show this, so it isn't even up for debate.

4 minutes ago, Munshi said:

7500 patients currently in hospitals in the UK with Covid? what's that 5/6 per hospital? Not exactly putting the NHS under crazy pressure is it?

That's evidently in the eye of the beholder.

However, it's not the topic of conversation. The topic of conversation was regarding the proportion of people being hospitalised with Covid that have not been vaccinated. Which, with respect, you were proven to be mistaken about and it would be nice to have an acknowledgement of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

If you had a positive LFT and a negative PCR to follow then, if your LFT is still positive, you should have to take another PCR. As you say, LFT’s are not often  false positive 

At this stage ( high vaccination level) I am beginning to change my view. I think that we should rely on LFTs only, and test a small percentage with PCR to detect new variants.  That will save money.  As you suggest I think that if you test negative on a LFT after a positive you can stop isolating although I would suggest 2 negatives would be safer.

I think that cases will fall sharply in the next few weeks as covid will run out of uninfected school children, ONS estimates that some huge proportion > 70%??  have been infected already so at the current rate it cannot be long surely?

52 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Thank them with faint praise for coming up with a vaccine that has enabled a semblance of normality, curse them for actually following the scientific method which is not a belief system and as such is always in flux depending on the information available.

Still, it's not like the science community in the UK has ever been treated by the political class with anything other than contempt and patronising praise when they solve the problems that political class mostly got everyone into, so I guess it's nothing new. 

To be fair I am surprised at the journalist in question there as he's been very level headed as per the rest of his colleagues at the FT. I personally posted it as an illustration of how COVID is spreading in this country. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

6 minutes ago, Stivo said:

At this stage ( high vaccination level) I am beginning to change my view. I think that we should rely on LFTs only, and test a small percentage with PCR to detect new variants.  That will save money.  As you suggest I think that if you test negative on a LFT after a positive you can stop isolating although I would suggest 2 negatives would be safer.

I think that cases will fall sharply in the next few weeks as covid will run out of uninfected school children, ONS estimates that some huge proportion > 70%??  have been infected already so at the current rate it cannot be long surely?

I'm not so sure that will be the case. I think there is still  a fair way to go before we reach herd immunity among school children.

I'm probably too lazy too look it up but what is the percentage of those infected each day represented by the age group 5-18? I suspect it is quite high.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I was encouraged to due to my job, I work for NHS so was one of first people to have the vaccine at start of the rollout. Following having my vaccine, I was extremely ill, not just a cold or mild side effects. It then transpired that under 30s (i.e. myself) shouldn't have had that jab - I've been apprehensive ever since. Doesn't help that one of my father's colleague's wife was put into a coma after her second vaccine due to side effects. I don't know, I've just held back on it, but I certainly don't think that those who are getting it are wrong. Good for them, make whatever choice you're comfortable with and I hope that all double vaccinated people are able to stay safe from this awful virus. Fortunately, I haven't had anyone severely effected by COVID that is close to me, maybe that has played on my mind also.

I'm not against the vaccine, I'll have it in time but I don't see the rush for myself as a fit, healthy young person who does a lot of exercise and hasn't ever contracted COVID (as far as I know). 

People can call me stupid but to be honest, I don't feel I'm being detrimental to others - I just want to take my time. I actually booked about 100 patients into a COVID booster jab clinic the other day whilst at work - I would never ask someone to follow my lead but equally, I don't want people to judge me for that choice as I wouldn't judge them for theirs - if they do though, that's their problem, not mine. 

Thanks for your response. I obviously don't know what your roll is in the NHS and I'm not asking to know. I do wonder though if you feel at all conflicted if asked, due to your position within the NHS, for advice by an unvaccinated person as to whether or not they should get vaccinated.

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Good to hear, anecdotes like this helps ease some of my apprehension. 

I felt really unwell after my first (AZ) jab too, and it lasted about three weeks.

I had zero reaction to the second.

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Plan B won't come into play until govt is sure we're near the peak of the current crop of cases.  Once we are, in comes plan B and then they can pretend restrictions have had an effect once again.

Blimey! They must be much more clever than I gave them credit for.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, reynard said:

I'm not so sure that will be the case. I think there is still  a fair way to go before we reach herd immunity among school children.

I'm probably too lazy too look it up but what is the percentage of those infected each day represented by the age group 5-18? I suspect it is quite high.

The ons report it as 7% of school years 7-11 testing positive per week, its half that rate prior to year 7 junior/infants/preschool.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/22october2021#age-analysis-of-the-number-of-people-who-had-covid-19

45 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

To be fair I am surprised at the journalist in question there as he's been very level headed as per the rest of his colleagues at the FT. I personally posted it as an illustration of how COVID is spreading in this country. 

Fair enough.

Perhaps he's also got some economist buddies who have taken flak for not pursuing a real science so he feels honour bound to defend them.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don't understand this tweet.  This bloke has produced a load of graphs showing that even though schoolchildren are catching coronavirus in vast numbers, they aren't spreading it to other age groups - not even parents - but then he implies that the scientists were wrong when they said schools weren't a vector for spreading it?

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't understand this tweet.  This bloke has produced a load of graphs showing that even though schoolchildren are catching coronavirus in vast numbers, they aren't spreading it to other age groups - not even parents - but then he implies that the scientists were wrong when they said schools weren't a vector for spreading it?

The graphs come from the ONS report. There is some validity in his point. If I recall correctly was suggested lat year by PHE?  that schoolchildren mainly caught it from parents and not at school. But that was probably alpha not delta, there were measures in place in schools etc and  parents were not vaccinated.  

At this stage I don’t see that it matters much that it’s clearly spreading within schools as parents and teachers are in the main vaccinated and children are at extremely low risk.

8 minutes ago, Stivo said:

The graphs come from the ONS report. There is some validity in his point. If I recall correctly was suggested lat year by PHE?  that schoolchildren mainly caught it from parents and not at school. But that was probably alpha not delta, there were measures in place in schools etc and  parents were not vaccinated.  

At this stage I don’t see that it matters much that it’s clearly spreading within schools as parents and teachers are in the main vaccinated and children are at extremely low risk.

You're probably right.  I interpreted the "schools not a vector" thing to mean that schoolchildren weren't spreading it about the wider community, but your memory fits better with what yon bloke's saying.